Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:38 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Yes he is. In fact, what he does is even better for Welker because he affects the safeties so much more because he can run verticals right at them OR cross their faces. Moss could only run 9s and comebacks outside the hashes. That helped, but in terms of opening up the middle, Gronk's impact is better than Moss' was. With Moss you just had to play 2-deep and use two guys - he's either running a DEEP skinny post or a 9. With Gronk he could run anything, including sit in front of a backpedaling safety or cross his face. That affects the Linebackers. Moss never affected LBs.
I understand that Gronk affects coverage in the middle of the field but by simply being there it gives Welker less room to operate. Instead of having teams constantly in nickle or dime packages with at least a CB and a safety on Moss teams can now play more guys in the middle of the field.

In terms of having Welker operate, he is at his best when he can get either in front of LBs on short routes and beat them after the catch or by sitting in between LBs and Safeties on more intermediate routes. The fact that the Pats can do virtually nothing to affect the safeties except run either Gronk or Hernandez down the middle of the field allowed the those safeties to creep closer to the line.

Having Moss forced teams to play safeties 25+ yards deep consistently. There were so many times last year when teams, like the Jets, cheated up to the line of scrimmage because the threat of going deep wasn't there. By being up an extra 5 or 10 yards closed off a big area of the field that Welker operates in.

Don't get me wrong I love Gronk and he is the best TE in the game and had a season for the ages, but no one in NFL history affected coverages quite like Randy Moss

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:49 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And this argument will easily be ridiculed because 'OMG ITS 1 PLAY OMG OMG OMG but I don't care.' Wes Welker had a chance to win the Super Bowl this year but couldn't make the catch.

The guys I rank above him, I envision them making that grab. Same with the infamous 4th-and-2 against Indy when he just couldn't get those extra 3 inches.

Just two relevant observations. Throw them out. Yell about them. Then criticize all the QBs when they don't make big-time "clutch" throws.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:54 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
2009 Edleman without Welker
W17: 10 catches for 103 yards
Playoffs: 6 catches for 44 yards and 2 tds
In 2010 they put in the backups against Miami and Edleman went for 3 catches and 70 yards.

Those were the only three games that Edleman occupied Welkers role.

2010 as the No. 1 option (Gronk's rookie year, Moss left): Wes Welker 9.9 ypc. 9.9. 9.9 yards per CATCH.
I'll address the first part of your argument first. Welker had torn two knee ligaments in the final game of the season prior. It was impressive he was even able to play at the start of the year. As you mentioned, the offense was also in flux at the start of the year. Welker was hardly the only one slumping. After the Cleveland game and some more space from the injury, he was a ton more productive. The monthly splits are really telling.

September:
18 147 8.2 27 3

October:
22 172 7.8 21 0

November:
25 273 10.9 26 3

December:
21 256 12.2 35 1

As far as Edleman goes, the "Welker's role" thing you're pushing is mostly semantics. One of the main issues with our offense over the years has been that our receivers mostly do the same type of things. Deion Branch has a little bit more of an outside role(although not presence) than the rest of the guys we have/had, but he's mostly doing the same things. When Edelman is in with Welker, he's still being asked to run similar routes. He just isn't effective....with less attention too. He's come in and had some decent games(coincidentally, ones where we're forced to throw the ball to him, more so than the role), but these are few and far between and we're FAR worse off as an offense.

Quote:
And this argument will easily be ridiculed because 'OMG ITS 1 PLAY OMG OMG OMG but I don't care.' Wes Welker had a chance to win the Super Bowl this year but couldn't make the catch.

The guys I rank above him, I envision them making that grab. Same with the infamous 4th-and-2 against Indy when he just couldn't get those extra 3 inches.

Just two relevant observations. Throw them out. Yell about them. Then criticize all the QBs when they don't make big-time "clutch" throws.
...I actually think this is completely fair. That play thoroughly exposed what Welker doesn't do well and limits him. That doesn't make him a disposable player, however.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:56 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'll address the first part of your argument first. Welker had torn two knee ligaments in the final game of the season prior. It was impressive he was even able to play at the start of the year. As you mentioned, the offense was also in flux at the start of the year. Welker was hardly the only one slumping. After the Cleveland game and some more space from the injury, he was a ton more productive. The monthly splits are really telling.

September:
18 147 8.2 27 3

October:
22 172 7.8 21 0

November:
25 273 10.9 26 3

December:
21 256 12.2 35 1

As far as Edleman goes, the "Welker's role" thing you're pushing is mostly semantics. One of the main issues with our offense over the years has been that our receivers mostly do the same type of things. Deion Branch has a little bit more of an outside role(although not presence) than the rest of the guys we have/had, but he's mostly doing the same things. When Edelman is in with Welker, he's still being asked to run similar routes. He just isn't effective....with less attention too. He's come in and had some decent games(coincidentally, ones where we're forced to throw the ball to him, more so than the role), but these are few and far between and we're FAR worse off as an offense.

...I actually think this is completely fair. That play thoroughly exposed what Welker doesn't do well and limits him. That doesn't make him a disposable player, however.
I RANKED HIM AS THE 20-something best WR in the ENTIRE NFL out of OVER 1600!!!! NEVER CAME CLOSE TO DISPOSABLE. lol.

I did those rankings fairly quickly and the only argument I'd admit I was wrong with is Maclin. MAYBE VJax.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:02 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

I'd be interested to hear specifically who should NOT be ranked ahead of Welker on my list.

The way I do it is "if I could have any receiver, who would it be?" Then go down the line. "Who would I rather have, _____ or ______?" That's how I do "better." In a vacuum. Forgetting scheme, who else you have, etc. If I had Tom Brady as my QB and we were running the Pats exact offense, I'd probably pick Welker much higher to play the slot. But with unknowns in terms of scheme and teammates, as if I'm drafting to an expansion team, these are my rankings...

WR
01. Calvin Johnson
02. Larry Fitzgerald
03. Andre Johnson
04. Greg Jennings
05. Steve Smith
06. Hakeem Nicks
07. Mike Wallace
08. Brandon Marshall
09. A.J. Green
10. Dwayne Bowe
11. Julio Jones
12. Jordy Nelson
13. Percy Harvin
14. Roddy White
15. Reggie Wayne
16. DeSean Jackson
17. Kenny Britt
18. Marques Colston
19. Santonio Holmes
20. Dez Bryant
21. Vincent Jackson
22. Jeremy Maclin
23. Wes Welker
24. Victor Cruz
25. Antonio Brown
26. Steve Johnson
27. Miles Austin
28. Sidney Rice
29. Brandon Lloyd
30. Laurent Robinson
31. Eric Decker
32. Nate Washington
33. Demariyus Thomas
34. Pierre Garcon
35. Denarius Moore
36. Anquan Boldin
37. Michael Crabtree
38. Darrius Heyward-Bey
39. Torrey Smith
40. Mike Williams TB
41. Robert Meachem
Old 05-16-2012, 02:33 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Theres alot of players I would him up for if were going for top five as of this very moment. Green and Jones I wouldnt put over him after one year, Wayne is certainly not better than him at this point, Nelson had a very nice year last year but I wouldnt rank him above Welker, I'd also take him over Dez, and especially Maclin. This is coming from someone who wants Welker traded very badly and completely agrees with you on the SB drop thing, I don't think that argument is ridiculous at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:44 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I believe that was Kevin Faulk.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:46 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I agree with the first part and it is a real limitation of his game. He won't make spectacular grabs and has dropped too many passes in recent years. The pass from Brady was not great but is certainly one which you expect your WR to make and in essence cost the Pats the Superbowl.

The 4th and 2 play was actually Kevin Faulk though.

Quote:
I'd be interested to hear specifically who should NOT be ranked ahead of Welker on my list.

The way I do it is "if I could have any receiver, who would it be?" Then go down the line. "Who would I rather have, _____ or ______?" That's how I do "better." In a vacuum. Forgetting scheme, who else you have, etc. If I had Tom Brady as my QB and we were running the Pats exact offense, I'd probably pick Welker much higher to play the slot. But with unknowns in terms of scheme and teammates, as if I'm drafting to an expansion team, these are my rankings...

WR
01. Calvin Johnson
02. Larry Fitzgerald
03. Andre Johnson
04. Greg Jennings
05. Steve Smith
06. Hakeem Nicks
07. Mike Wallace
08. Brandon Marshall
09. A.J. Green
10. Dwayne Bowe
11. Julio Jones
12. Jordy Nelson
13. Percy Harvin
14. Roddy White
15. Reggie Wayne
16. DeSean Jackson
17. Kenny Britt
18. Marques Colston
19. Santonio Holmes
20. Dez Bryant
21. Vincent Jackson
22. Jeremy Maclin
23. Wes Welker
24. Victor Cruz
25. Antonio Brown
26. Steve Johnson
27. Miles Austin
28. Sidney Rice
29. Brandon Lloyd
30. Laurent Robinson
31. Eric Decker
32. Nate Washington
33. Demariyus Thomas
34. Pierre Garcon
35. Denarius Moore
36. Anquan Boldin
37. Michael Crabtree
38. Darrius Heyward-Bey
39. Torrey Smith
40. Mike Williams TB
41. Robert Meachem
The guys in bold are the ones who I wouldn't put above Welker at this point. AJ Green and Jones will almost certainly be above him on everyone's list in a year or two but I think it is a little premature.

Once again though, and I don't want to beat this horse to death, but the question is who would you take, not who is better. Guys who can play outside the hashes and stretch defenses horizonatally and vertically are harder to come by and have more worth. Not to downplay the importance of a top slot WR, especially in today's NFL, but outside WRs open things up more for different aspects of the offense. But this is a similar thing to listing all the top offensive linemen and saying who would you take. You are almost always going to take the guy who can play LT first and foremost over interior guys or RTs. However a dominant OG is a better player than an above average LT.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:39 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Y'all would rather have WES WELKER than A.J. GREEN????????????? Wow.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:52 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

dez hasn't done anything in the NFL to have him over welker. at all. HIs size, speed and potential are swell, but let's see him actually put it together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:02 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I RANKED HIM AS THE 20-something best WR in the ENTIRE NFL out of OVER 1600!!!! NEVER CAME CLOSE TO DISPOSABLE. lol.

I did those rankings fairly quickly and the only argument I'd admit I was wrong with is Maclin. MAYBE VJax.
Edelman is a disposable player. You suggested that he could replace a ton of Welker's production. The two seem to tie in. As far as specific guys you have ranked over him, I'm not really interested in that kind of stuff. I find that kind of thing to be masturbatory, for the most part. Specifically, I will say that ranking Holmes, a player who also gets a lot of production from the slot, over Welker is more than a little ridiculous. Welker has had years that were better than Holmes' consistently. You can levy similar arguments you've been making against Welker at him too. Holmes best year also came when he had the benefit of playing with Mike Wallace to clear things out deep, Heath Millers best season, and Hines Ward still being a viable guy to at least get looks. Ranking him above Victor Cruz is even more hilarious. That's the guy I would probably peg as the best slot receiver in the league right now. As pure receivers, Harvin and Maclin do far less than Welker and Cruz too.

Again, no problem saying Welker is overrated, I'm just trying to be realistic. Given the choice between a great slot receiver and an above average outside receiver who can stretch the field, I'll take the latter. Still, Welker has an immense amount of value and is a dominant player at times, even if he is the beneficiary of a great situation. Numbers can lie sometimes, but Welker is one of just five players to produce a season in excess of 1500 yards in the past five years, even with the more passing oriented league.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:20 PM    (permalink
Bixby (Thumper)
Rookie

Location: "Everybody sounds like Meryl Streep with a gun to their head."
Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't understand why people are so quick to defend Welker and act like he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Yes, Wes Welker is a fantastic route runner who puts on a route running clinic every time he steps on the field. Yes, Wes Welker is tough to cover because he's so quick. He's great within his role, nobody denies that. Nobody.

But, he's played with Randy Moss and Rob Gronkowski both of whom put up the most dominating seasons ever for a WR and a TE while playing with Welker. Welker is catching passes from Tom Brady. He plays in an incredible situation that suits him perfectly.

Answer me this: Would Welker be as effective in any other situation in the NFL? You can choose between 31 other teams and find me one where Wes Welker would equally as effective. Green Bay and New Orleans are the only teams that I would think Welker would be nearly as productive on.

But put Greg Jennings in Wes Welker's role in New England. Is anyone here prepared to argue Greg Jennings wouldn't be more effective and more dangerous than Wes Welker?

Put Marques Colston in Welker's role. Put Danny Amendola in Welker's role. Put Bess, healthy Steve Smith, Eric Decker or Victor Cruz in Welker's role.

And what if you placed guys like AJ Green, Julio Jones, Jeremy Maclin, DeSean Jackson, Kenny Britt and Percy Harvin on the Patriots? They'd put up all-pro numbers, guaranteed.

Would I trade DeSean Jackson or Jeremy Maclin for Wes Welker? No.
Would Viking fans trade Percy Harvin for Wes Welker?
Would Cowboys fans trade Dez Bryant for Wes Welker?

Good player. Great situation.
Bixby (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Y'all would rather have WES WELKER than A.J. GREEN????????????? Wow.
I don't think you understand the thread.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dez Bryant is the most overrated man alive.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:42 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Dez Bryant is the most overrated man alive.
D-Unit had him pegged as the best WR in the NFC East about 8 games into his rookie year.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:24 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[homer post] Greg Jennings absolutely has the route running skills and agility to outperform Wes Welker in that role. [/home post]

Also, pretty much everybody on this board seems to either overrate Dez Bryant, or underrate him (IMO). There doesn't seem to be much middle-ground.

Last edited by WCH : 05-16-2012 at 07:26 PM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:50 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I don't think you understand the thread.
Just making sure.

A.J. Green's been one of, if not the, best receiver at every level of football he's ever played. As the No. 1 option with an unreliable No. 2 and a relatively weak-armed rookie QB, he continued his dominance at the NFL level. With no offseason.

I find it extremely surprising that anyone who has seen both players play receiver (albiet at different positions) choose Welker over Green.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:00 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Edelman is a disposable player. You suggested that he could replace a ton of Welker's production. The two seem to tie in. As far as specific guys you have ranked over him, I'm not really interested in that kind of stuff. I find that kind of thing to be masturbatory, for the most part. Specifically, I will say that ranking Holmes, a player who also gets a lot of production from the slot, over Welker is more than a little ridiculous. Welker has had years that were better than Holmes' consistently. You can levy similar arguments you've been making against Welker at him too. Holmes best year also came when he had the benefit of playing with Mike Wallace to clear things out deep, Heath Millers best season, and Hines Ward still being a viable guy to at least get looks. Ranking him above Victor Cruz is even more hilarious. That's the guy I would probably peg as the best slot receiver in the league right now. As pure receivers, Harvin and Maclin do far less than Welker and Cruz too.

Again, no problem saying Welker is overrated, I'm just trying to be realistic. Given the choice between a great slot receiver and an above average outside receiver who can stretch the field, I'll take the latter. Still, Welker has an immense amount of value and is a dominant player at times, even if he is the beneficiary of a great situation. Numbers can lie sometimes, but Welker is one of just five players to produce a season in excess of 1500 yards in the past five years, even with the more passing oriented league.
First bold: I think I proved it with a 2.5 game sample size. You can deem that acceptable by extrapolation or not. But let me explain: I don't think Wes Welker, who I value as about the 23rd best WR in the entire NFL, is disposable. I do, however, believe there are MANY players capable of making a similar impact in that offense with Brady. There are MANY guys who could help that offense achieve near what it does with Welker, although those players likely would not play the role he's mastered as WELL as he does.

Second bold: Agree. But then where does he rank on your list?

Italics: That's exactly where he ranks, behind outside guys who can stretch the field +. It's not like I have Boldin above him.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Peyton hasn't retired.
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:16 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixby View Post
I don't see what's so special about him. He gets a ton of targets and he takes advantage. He runs great routes and he's crafty but other than that, what's great? He's not a dynamic player and he plays inside a bunch where he takes advantage of nickelbacks, linebackers and safeties.
He's productive. As productive as the elite WRs in the game. That makes him borderline great. 2nd in the NFL in receiving yards, most catches (by 22) and 9 TDs last year puts him in the discussion for Top 5 WRs in the NFL.

Quote:
Honestly, I think that guys like Jason Avant, Danny Amendola and Lance Moore could match Welker's production if they were given 150+ targets a season. And I think guys like Miles Austin, Percy Harvin, Marques Colston, Greg Jennings, etc. etc. would be better if they played as many snaps in the slot and were given 150+ targets a year.
This is like when you're on a road trip and someone says, "I know a good shortcut that we can take." No, we're not taking the shortcut. If it was a good shortcut then it would be called "the way," and everybody would be using it.

Those guys don't do what Welker does. If they could, then they would. It's really that simple. Welker shits on Amendola, Moore and Avant. He shits on those guys. To even bring them up is a waste of time.

Quote:
I don't think Welkers a bum or anything, I think he's a good player in a great situation. And I don't think he's a primary target. His worst season came in Gronk and Hernandez's rookie year when Randy Moss left. And then he picked right back up in 2011 once Gronkowski became an absolute force that demanded attention. Without Randy Moss or a non-rookie Rob Gronkowski, his production dropped.
His worst season might have had something to do with coming back from a pretty bad knee injury that might sideline some players for at least half of that season (If not the entire season). Maybe that had something to do with it, but when he wasn't even expected to play that season… I find it hard to be overly critical of him. And if you watched him that year he wasn't nearly as quick during the first half of the season. He looked like he came back too soon. But he played through it and risked his career / more serious injury.

I would say there are two negatives going against Welker. His lack of TDs and his minimal impact in the playoffs. Those are the arguments against Welker. Anything about his size or his ability to play outside the numbers is meaningless. Thinking that some other player would be better than Welker if they were in his position, or if they had as many targets, that's stupid and a complete waste of time. (1) Lack of TDs and (2) a non factor in the playoffs. Those are his negatives. Whether he gains his yards in the slot or outside the numbers… who cares? He’s getting the catches and the yards.

Quote:
Julian Edleman stepped in for Welker and filled his role just fine. Darren Sproles' role with NO wasn't really much different than Welker's. Option routes, outs and angle routes.
If you mean less than 400 yards receiving in his rookie year, then yeah, he really filled Welker's shoes. Filled 'em right up. You keep talking about a guy that has had two games -- two ******* games -- that were even close to impressive for some kid who grew in the same bum-**** town as you did when you were a kid, and he made it to the NFL. He had 4 catches for 34 yards last year. 4 for 34!!!! He has 1 career TD. Please, for the love of God, stop bringing up Edleman and thinking he's making your case. Edlemen has done nothing. In his entire career, he has done nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Last edited by BigBanger : 05-21-2012 at 03:07 PM.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:38 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Just making sure.

A.J. Green's been one of, if not the, best receiver at every level of football he's ever played. As the No. 1 option with an unreliable No. 2 and a relatively weak-armed rookie QB, he continued his dominance at the NFL level. With no offseason.

I find it extremely surprising that anyone who has seen both players play receiver (albiet at different positions) choose Welker over Green.
This post only strengthens my belief that you do not understand the thread. Were doing a top 5 as of right now, and as of right now Welker is clearly going to be ranked higher than a one year WR in the NFL. Were voting for top five as of now.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-22-2012, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Loosely ranked:

Quarterback:

1. Tom Brady
2. Drew Brees
3. Peyton Manning
4. Aaron Rodgers
5. Eli Manning

Running Back:

1. Adrian Peterson
2. Ray Rice
3. Maurice Jones-Drew
4. Fred Jackson
5. Matt Forte

Wide Receiver:

1. Larry Fitzgerald
2. Calvin Johnson
3. Andre Johnson
4. Vincent Jackson
5. Dwayne Bowe

Tight End:

1. Rob Gronkowski
2. Jimmy Graham
3. Aaron Hernandez
4. Antonio Gates
5. Tony Gonzalez

Offensive Tackle:

1. Joe Thomas
2. Jason Peters
3. Andrew Whitworth
4. Jake Long
5. D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Offensive Guard:

1. Carl Nicks
2. Brian Waters
3. Logan Mankins
4. Evan Mathis
5. Mike Iupati

Center:

1. Nick Mangold
2. Ryan Kalil
3. Chris Myers
4. Scott Wells
5. Jeff Saturday
Old 05-22-2012, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Bixby (Thumper)
Rookie

Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Read it and weep Welker jock riders.

Quote:
Tom Brady will go down as one of the top two or three quarterbacks in modern history (if not ever), and his ability to raise the level of play of those around him is unparalleled. Just consider the plights of Deion Branch, David Givens, David Patten and others who have thrived in the Patriots' system before becoming afterthoughts in other offenses. Branch, in particular, is the perfect example to consider when contemplating Welker's impact against his financial considerations. During Branch's initial tour of duty with the Patriots, he won a Super Bowl MVP and emerged as a legitimate big-play threat as the team's designated go-to receiver. However, when Branch departed for greener (more lucrative) pastures and a No. 1 role in Seattle he failed to play up to expectations and looked like a rather ordinary player. Interestingly, he returned to New England in the middle of the 2010 season and instantly regained his productive ways as a starter with Brady hurling pinpoint strikes in his direction. Although some of Branch's success could be due to his return to full health, it is not a coincidence that his game routinely flourishes when Brady is at the helm.

In Welker's case, he is a far more productive player in the Patriots' system -- his impact as a slot receiver is unrivaled in the league. Last season, he converted 63.1 percent of his 122 receptions into first downs, amassing career bests with 21 catches of 20-plus yards and nine touchdowns. In a league where the passing game is built on the premise of producing touchdowns, big plays (receptions of 20-plus yards) and first downs, the presence of an effective pass catcher between the hashes is a tremendous asset.

But the case could be made that Welker has been effective due to the extraordinary talent around him. During his first three seasons in New England, Randy Moss acted as the Patriots' No. 1 receiver and every opponent entered the game intent on rolling coverage in his direction. The emphasis was on taking away the deep ball, forcing Brady to dink and dunk to Welker on underneath routes. While Welker was certainly capable of hurting the defense between the hashes, the thought of letting Moss run through the secondary on a vertical route led many defensive coordinators to live with allowing the Patriots to freely target the underneath areas of coverage.

Last season, the emergence of Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez as the NFL's top tight end tandem provided Welker with plenty of space between the hashes. Opponents would direct double-coverage toward Gronkowski or Hernandez, leaving a nickel corner isolated over Welker in the slot. With Welker given the freedom to find a vacant area over the middle of the field on an assortment of option routes, the Patriots' offense routinely boiled down to a game of pitch and catch between Brady and Welker inside the hashes.

With the system, quarterback and supporting cast creating terrific opportunities for Welker, the Patriots must view his production with proper perspective.
Quote:
There is no doubt that Welker is the top slot receiver in the NFL, but that doesn't make him a legitimate No. 1 receiver.

No. 1 receivers should be able to impact the passing game at every level, with their presence on the field demanding double-coverage from the opponent. In spite of the extra attention, No. 1 receivers continue to make plays and their ability to thrive as designated anchor of the passing game fuels the offense as a whole.

In evaluating Welker, I would classify him as a role player, rather than as a legitimate No. 1 receiver. He is a middle-of-the-field specialist who excels on short crossers and option routes. His combination of quickness and precise route running is problematic for slot defenders, particularly nickelbacks who are traditionally the third-best corner on the roster.

While Welker has become ultra-productive in his role, he certainly doesn't provide the kind of game-changing impact of Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. Prior to last year, Welker averaged only 10.5 yards per catch while producing 9.25 receptions of 20-plus yards per season during his first four years in New England (2007-10). Although that's not bad production for a possession receiver, it is not the kind of output that typically garners significant money on the open market.

Just compare his numbers to those of Calvin Johnson (16.0 yards per catch and a yearly average of 21 receptions of 20-plus yards), Andre Johnson (14.5 and 17.5) and Fitzgerald (13.9 and 17.7), and you clearly see the difference between a slot receiver and an elite No. 1 receiver.
Bucky Brooks hits the nail on the head.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:56 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i, too, like to use random op-eds to try to prove things.

i mean, look, wes welker is clearly the best receiver in the nfl.
The second look didn't mention Calvin, but mentioned Roddy White and Brandon Marshall? Sure.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:00 PM    (permalink
Bixby (Thumper)
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i, too, like to use random op-eds to try to prove things.

i mean, look, wes welker is clearly the best receiver in the nfl.
A guy from Yahoo's equivalent of Bleacher Report and Michael Irvin. Those are some great, credible sources you've got there. Totally trumps a well reasoned argument made by a former pro scout.