Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-30-2007, 07:16 AM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336
Default Aaron Ross

My favorite CB that i believe we have a chance at with the 22nd pick. Just found a cool video clip i thought i would throw up for you guys to check out. He's physical, good tackler, good returner, and hes got enough speed to hang with the big boys. I think the biggest knock people have is probably his age but i dont care, i could see him in the nickle and on returns this year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nVjwzOCxQU

and heres another one with some of the same highlights but a few more big hits and more looks at his return game

Last edited by Burns336 : 03-30-2007 at 07:21 AM.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:57 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
My favorite CB that i believe we have a chance at with the 22nd pick. Just found a cool video clip i thought i would throw up for you guys to check out. He's physical, good tackler, good returner, and hes got enough speed to hang with the big boys. I think the biggest knock people have is probably his age but i dont care, i could see him in the nickle and on returns this year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nVjwzOCxQU

and heres another one with some of the same highlights but a few more big hits and more looks at his return game
He's the first CB with whom we had a visit scheduled. I really like him, and he can be our full time PR too...

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:31 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would say he is the consensus favorite pick at #22. He has everything...we can bicker about the age factor but that really doesn't have anything to do with it. He would be a good pair opposite Newman.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:16 AM    (permalink
DallCowby1
Rookie

DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How old is he?
DallCowby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:42 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallCowby1 View Post
How old is he?
26 years old

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-30-2007, 11:29 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
26 years old
He's 24. Born on september 1982. He will be 25 for all of his rookie campaign...

In Bob We Trust

Old 03-30-2007, 11:45 AM    (permalink
DallCowby1
Rookie

DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How old was Newman when we drafted him? Around the same age, wasn't he?
DallCowby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:34 PM    (permalink
goonie61
Rookie

goonie61 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Newman was pretty old, is Newman a pro bowler now?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:14 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonie61 View Post
Newman was pretty old, is Newman a pro bowler now?
He plays like a pro bowler. That's all that matters.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Achilles33
Veteran

Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.

Hopefully Terence gets his due next year, but what can you do.

Anyway, on the subject of Ross. Yes, he is a solid all around CB, and would be a fine selection at 22. The age is a bit of a turn-off, but he is only a year or 2 older than all of the other guys, so does it really matter? Plus he doesn't have to start right away. I strongly believe that when healthy Henry is a quality CB. But if Henry goes down, ehhh I don't like Glenn being a full time start CB at this point in his career. Ross can do everything, so I would be fine with this pick.

Last edited by Achilles33 : 03-31-2007 at 07:28 AM.
Achilles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This was my mock prior to the Hamlin signing.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...?t=2162&page=4

Admittingly, I am still trying to guage which CB I like most for our system, but Ross is definately up there.

However, before we get all hot and horny, let's also take into consideration his negatives...

Negatives: Lacks field intelligence and will bite on pump fakes and misdirection … Has a lean frame with marginal playing strength and needs to improve his training room habits (does what is asked, but needs structure) … Struggled with academics earlier and might have problems digesting a complicated playbook … Lacks the upper body strength and hand usage to disengage from blocks … Willing in run support, but will get walled off and washed out of the play in attempts to plug the inside lanes … Marginal tackler who prefers to take a side or grab rather than face up, wrap and secure … Generates a lot of pass interference penalties due to his penchant of constantly grabbing at the receiver's jersey heading down field … Lacks an ideal feel for seeing the plays develop and will need time to learn the proper techniques of diagnosing and reading keys … Has the speed to mirror receivers, but fails to generate the punch to press or the placement to reroute … When he uses a shuffle-and-bail technique, he is slow to come out of his breaks … Liability in zone coverage, as he is late to locate the ball and lacks a good feel for handling the switch-off … Needs to take better angles in attempts to close on the ball … Plays with good aggression, but will get out of control at times and then struggles to recover … Too much of a risk taker, doing a poor job of keeping plays in front of him.

Compares To: Devin Hester, Chicago Bears … A definite lack of man coverage technique, poor route recognition skills, hesitant in zone coverage, poor tackling form and marginal strength are some of the liabilities in these two players' games … Both are blessed with incredible quickness for the return games, but Ross is far from a finished product as a defender … Right now, he brings instant value as a returner and nickel back, but he will need a few years to see if he ever develops into a quality cover defender … There is a lot of Deltha O'Neal in this kid and if you need a shutdown cornerback, you are advised to look elsewhere … In his only year as a starter in 2006, he won the Thorpe Award as the nation's top defensive back, but nothing could be further from the truth … The media seems to get enamored by big returners and pass thieves and Ross is both of those … However, he allowed 51 receptions for 701 yards (13.7 avg.) and five touchdowns in 2006, as 20 of those catches resulted in first downs and 16 were for 10 yards or longer. In addition, he fumbled twice and was penalized four times.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:36 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I take that Hester comparison with a grain of salt. Hester couldn't even see the field at Miami let alone win the thorpe award. Now if they are comparing them from a physical standpoint...that is really a positive not a negative. So as long as he is not cast as the lone starter right away he should be fine. Really if you think about it...pending injuries he really doesn't have to see the field on the defensive side of the ball this year. Sure that's not what we like but it's the truth. Route recognition...strength...ect.

This is the line the caught my eye.

Quote:
Right now, he brings instant value as a returner and nickel back, but he will need a few years to see if he ever develops into a quality cover defender
That is almost exactly what we are looking for. Pair that with the fact that we have two very good secondary coaches on our defense...I'm not to worried about what CB we draft.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-30-2007, 05:00 PM    (permalink
Achilles33
Veteran

Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.

Ross is one of the strongest and most physical CBs in the draft, I don't really like that scouting report D-Unit.

Last edited by Achilles33 : 03-30-2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:53 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Devin Hester comparison is absolutely off the mark. Hester is a freak athlete who never wrapped his head around a true position. Ross is a polished cornerback. He won the Thorpe. Way off on that bit.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh it's not my scouting report. That's from nfl.com.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:56 PM    (permalink
mtmock
Rookie

mtmock needs more cowbell.

Ross is really good, i am not ragging on him ok but being that age with 18 year olds is an unfair advantage. i am not saying all 24 year olds are gonna do that, but it is something you have to look at. i would be fine with that selection as i was thrilled when we aqcuired newman. he is a full grown man. id jump on him at 22 if none these guys are there: Dj, meachem, houston, ginn,revis.

Dallas Cowboys 07-08 Superbowl CHAMPS!
mtmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:44 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Oh it's not my scouting report. That's from nfl.com.
I really don't like nfl.com scouting reports. Last year they classified Deangelo Williams as a special team player...

In Bob We Trust

Old 03-31-2007, 07:31 AM    (permalink
Achilles33
Veteran

Guys, like thule said we want someone you can sit and develop a few years when Henry moves on, but can be the nickel right away. Now since Ross is old, do we want that? If we are going to have them sit and develop, we might as well go with the upside, and that is definitly Chris Houston. If not Darrell Revis as well. They both could play the nickel, so that wouldn't be a problem. Chris Houston is 22, and turns 23 in the middle of the season. Darrell Revis is 21 and turns 22 in July. Now if they don't need to start right away (which they don't in this case) shouldn't we go with the younger players with more upside?

Last edited by Achilles33 : 03-31-2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

I think Ross will take over for Henry in 2008. And with Henry always being injured I see gim starting 3-4 games in 2007. maybe more...

In Bob We Trust

Old 03-31-2007, 02:28 PM    (permalink
mtmock
Rookie

if we draft them to sit for a couple years and play spotty minutes we should draft someone who will be 24 by that time not almost 25 already

Old 03-31-2007, 05:31 PM    (permalink
Achilles33
Veteran

That is what I was saying MTmock, I agree with that totally. In our case we should draft someone with the most upside, so my pick would be Chris Houston. Or Marcus McCualey in the 2nd round.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:38 PM    (permalink
mtmock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles33 View Post
That is what I was saying MTmock, I agree with that totally. In our case we should draft someone with the most upside, so my pick would be Chris Houston. Or Marcus McCualey in the 2nd round.
agreed ;)!