Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cleveland Browns Team Forum

Cleveland Browns Team Forum Discuss the Browns

Old 05-08-2012, 02:12 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2012 Browns REDRAFT: Who would you have taken?

The selections and trades the same, who would you have took given the board?
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/tracke...bs:dt-by-round

1. 3 They took: Richardson
I would have took: Richardson

We needed a starting RB and I agree that Tripp was clearly the best back in the draft. 2 first rounders allowed us to go for a position that isn't highly valued anymore at the top.

1. 22 They took: Weeden
I would have took: DeCastro

My choice would have been between Riley Rieff or DeCastro. I understand the thought process behind Weeden, I think; that he would have been a top ten pick, probably higher than Tannehill if not for his age. So in a sense your getting a bargain as far as pure talent but I hate the thinking that because he's older he's somehow more ready to play. Rieff imo would struggle more on the RT because he's not great at keeping his base, even though he's a good run blocker. There were some teams that thought DeCastro might be able to play RT. I'd try him out there but he still represents a major upgrade at RG, where Lauvao has sucked and plays dirty.

2. 37 They took: Schwartz
I would have took: Stephen Hill

I'm a fan of Schwartz but I'm not sure I'd taken him over Cordy Glenn. This pick for me comes down to Osweiler or Hill. Question is how prepared are you to roll another season with McCoy or Wallace as a starter? Taking a look at the schedule it's hard to see many wins right now in April. Defeatist or not, my thinking would be, I'll roll with these two QBs for this season and if one of them plays better than expected, great, but more than likely I'll have a top 5 pick in 2013 and finally land my franchise QB. I like Osweiler's upside but if I'm picking high in 2013 I don't want to have to guess on what Brock might be with an elite QB prospect there for the taking.

3. 87 They took: Hughes
I would have took: Bobby Massie

Still not positive what made Massie drop but the Cards may have got a big steal at #112 where he dropped to. Even though I'd take a look at DeCastro at RT, I'd still get Massie as well. I like that he worked with LaCharles Bentley pre draft.

4. 100 They took: Benjamin
I would have took: Ronnell Lewis LB/DE

Im just really high on Lewis. He showed at his pro day the movement ability to play in space at LB and of course he's also has the ability to blitz/rush off the edge. I like him as a SLB in our scheme but he'd get plenty opportunities to pass rush situationally.

4. 120 They took: J. Michael-Johnson
I would have took: Juron Criner

Criner is a steal here or where he ended up at #168. He's a better yac runner than Little and has always shown great hands. He's gotten knocked for speed and character but dominated senior week and for the Wildcats. Has an extra gear on the field.

5. 160 They took: Miller
I would have took: Danny Trevathan

What a bargain in the 5th. He went #188 to the Broncos. He had a terrible post season but looks like a better Sean Spence on tape. SEC leader in tackles the past 2 seasons. He'd play the WLB.

6. 204 They took: Acho
I would have took: Trevor Guyton DT

I like him more than Hughes. Great run defender and hustles nicely after the passer.

6. 205 They took: Billy Winn
I would have took: Billy Winn

same. I like the value.

7. 245 They took: Wade
I would have took: Robert Golden DB

I liked CB Golden a lot coming into his senior season but a knee injury limited him all year. They also switched him to FS. He ran very well at his pro day though so it seems like he's healthy. CB/S tweener I like more than Wade.

7. 245 They took: Smelley
I would have took: Rodney Stewart

I love Stewart. He was signed by the Bengals-dammit!. He's a Sproles-like guy, fast, quick and tough. Would have been a perfect compliment to our backfield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*

Last edited by Brown Leader : 05-11-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Brown Leader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:09 AM    (permalink
OhioJB
Rookie

OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good question. The only pick I think MH & TH may have outsmarted themselves on, was the 3rd round decision to move down and take Hughes. They traded from 67 to 87 to pick up an extra 4th which turned out to be the ILB. At pick #77 the Jets took an OLB from Arkansas State that looked absolutely terrific in the highlights ESPN showed during the 3rd round. His name is Demario Davis. Looked fast and delivered a blow when he got to the QB or RB. There was no hesitation at all before he delivered a blow. I understand I saw a very limited sample of his play, but what I did see convinced me we may have missed out on a possible future pro bowl player.

With Taylor going down for up to six months, maybe things worked out for the best trading down and taking Hughes. That'll only be the case if Hughes can earn the starting job, and the ILB we drafted proves to be an excellent player as well.

I have no complaints about the first three selections. Richardson is one of those rare backs that is so much better than other RB's coming out of college, that he was worth drafting #3 overall.

Weeden I don't mind at #22 simply because he's a big, strong-armed, accurate QB, and we had to get better at the QB position. He has alot to prove though, as you never know how fast rookie QB's are going to get it. I have a good feeling about him after listening to interviews, and watching a couple of his games recently that were shown on ESPN Classic. The one thing I did notice though, is it seems he needs to get in the weightroom and get stronger in the lower body. Testaverde claimed the reason he was able to play so long in the NFL was because he kept his lower body strong by working out.

Mitchell Schwartz fits the bill exactly as the Browns O-line coach described their ideal RT a couple of months ago. The audio was and might still be on the team's official site. He talked about everything from arm length, to height and weight. Said they wanted their RT to be about 6' 5" and 320 pounds, and more of a roadgrader. Apparently Schwartz outplayed many of the more highly rated players at one of the bowl games (think it was the senior bowl).

I can't really complain about the players they chose. Since I didn't watch alot of college games the past two seasons, I didn't know alot about the players except for highlights and the analysis I listened to and watched. I'm intrigued by the CB we drafted late, Trevin Wade. We desperately need to replace Sheldon Brown at the CB position opposite Haden. Wade was rated highly by NFL.com, as far his grade (was in the 80's). Had to be a reason he slipped but I'm still intrigued. Unless Dimitri Patterson can win a CB job over Brown, we'll need someone else to step up and do a better job than Brown can. Until we are solid at CB it'll be tough to compete for a Super Bowl.

And we are getting closer to having a solid contender to watch Browns fans. One more good year of drafting we'll have alot of the pieces in place. Still think OLB, CB, and maybe a better cover SS is needed on D. On O WR will be our achilles heel again, it appears. Plaxico Burress would help if we sign him, but we still need to draft or sign another good WR. We could also use another good TE. Watson isn't a spring chicken and is a little limited when jumping for balls. Depending on whether Ryan Miller can win a starting OG job and play at a high level, we may need to improve at RG also. Pinkston is ok, but Lauvoa let's too many pass rushers get by him to his left.

Getting closer. Weeden is key this year. If he can do for us what Roethlisberger did for the Squealers, it'll make a huge difference. Trying not to expect too much from him, but I see alot of good signs so far.
OhioJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really would have gone about the draft totally different. I wouldn't have played hard ball with the Rams and paid their asking price for RG111.

That aside, I would never have made the trade with the Vikings, if they traded with Tampa Bay, I would have traded the right to draft Kalil to the highest bidder from the top 10 for an additional 2nd rounder. Plenty of teams would have paid a king's ransom for the rights to Kalil.
Looking to improve our offense substantially, I would have drafted Blackmon or Floyd, if Blackmon was gone I'd have traded back again and taken Floyd in the 10 to 12 range. That would have added at least a 3rd to our picks.
At 22, I'd have taken Martin RB and used some of those extra picks to trade back into round 1 for Weeden. At 37, I'd have drafted Schwartz or Glenn, whichever one my scouting department loved the most.

Scenario where we traded for the rights to RG111
1A) RG111 QB
3A) S. Hill WR

Our offense within 2 years would have matched the top teams in the NFL.

Scenario where Blackmon was still available and we didn't have the #2 overall pick:
1A) Blackmon WR
1B) Martin RB
1C) Weeden QB
2A) Schwartz or Glenn RT

This would have given our offense a huge burst of talent and made us very competitive within our Division.

Scenario where we had no choice but to take Floyd:
1A) Floyd WR
1B) Martin RB
1C) Weeden QB
2A) Schwartz or Glenn RT

IMO, this draft would have also given our offense a huge burst of talent and made us competitive within our Division.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:58 AM    (permalink
lacotomo
Rookie

lacotomo hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Good question. The only pick I think MH & TH may have outsmarted themselves on, was the 3rd round decision to move down and take Hughes. They traded from 67 to 87 to pick up an extra 4th which turned out to be the ILB. At pick #77 the Jets took an OLB from Arkansas State that looked absolutely terrific in the highlights ESPN showed during the 3rd round. His name is Demario Davis. Looked fast and delivered a blow when he got to the QB or RB. There was no hesitation at all before he delivered a blow. I understand I saw a very limited sample of his play, but what I did see convinced me we may have missed out on a possible future pro bowl player.

With Taylor going down for up to six months, maybe things worked out for the best trading down and taking Hughes. That'll only be the case if Hughes can earn the starting job, and the ILB we drafted proves to be an excellent player as well.

I have no complaints about the first three selections. Richardson is one of those rare backs that is so much better than other RB's coming out of college, that he was worth drafting #3 overall.

Weeden I don't mind at #22 simply because he's a big, strong-armed, accurate QB, and we had to get better at the QB position. He has alot to prove though, as you never know how fast rookie QB's are going to get it. I have a good feeling about him after listening to interviews, and watching a couple of his games recently that were shown on ESPN Classic. The one thing I did notice though, is it seems he needs to get in the weightroom and get stronger in the lower body. Testaverde claimed the reason he was able to play so long in the NFL was because he kept his lower body strong by working out.

Mitchell Schwartz fits the bill exactly as the Browns O-line coach described their ideal RT a couple of months ago. The audio was and might still be on the team's official site. He talked about everything from arm length, to height and weight. Said they wanted their RT to be about 6' 5" and 320 pounds, and more of a roadgrader. Apparently Schwartz outplayed many of the more highly rated players at one of the bowl games (think it was the senior bowl).

I can't really complain about the players they chose. Since I didn't watch alot of college games the past two seasons, I didn't know alot about the players except for highlights and the analysis I listened to and watched. I'm intrigued by the CB we drafted late, Trevin Wade. We desperately need to replace Sheldon Brown at the CB position opposite Haden. Wade was rated highly by NFL.com, as far his grade (was in the 80's). Had to be a reason he slipped but I'm still intrigued. Unless Dimitri Patterson can win a CB job over Brown, we'll need someone else to step up and do a better job than Brown can. Until we are solid at CB it'll be tough to compete for a Super Bowl.

And we are getting closer to having a solid contender to watch Browns fans. One more good year of drafting we'll have alot of the pieces in place. Still think OLB, CB, and maybe a better cover SS is needed on D. On O WR will be our achilles heel again, it appears. Plaxico Burress would help if we sign him, but we still need to draft or sign another good WR. We could also use another good TE. Watson isn't a spring chicken and is a little limited when jumping for balls. Depending on whether Ryan Miller can win a starting OG job and play at a high level, we may need to improve at RG also. Pinkston is ok, but Lauvoa let's too many pass rushers get by him to his left.

Getting closer. Weeden is key this year. If he can do for us what Roethlisberger did for the Squealers, it'll make a huge difference. Trying not to expect too much from him, but I see alot of good signs so far.
Really? After watching 30 seconds of Highlight tape, you saw a future pro-bowl LB from Ark St.? Are you a scout? Most scouts would cut off their left, er, arm to be able to see pro bowl 3rd rounders after a few seconds of highlight tape off of ESPN...
lacotomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:49 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. blackmon
1b. wilson or martin
2. hill or glenn
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:54 AM    (permalink
OhioJB
Rookie

OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacotomo View Post
Really? After watching 30 seconds of Highlight tape, you saw a future pro-bowl LB from Ark St.? Are you a scout? Most scouts would cut off their left, er, arm to be able to see pro bowl 3rd rounders after a few seconds of highlight tape off of ESPN...
Trolls usually like to make the argument you're making.
OhioJB is offline   Reply With Quote