Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 05-15-2012, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
All-Pro

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Onterio McCalebb, RB, Auburn

I've been watching a bit of his tape lately, and he's a guy that has always stood out to me when watching Auburn games. Hasn't ever been the feature back, but seems like he's always a threat to break off a huge play when he's in the game. I've begun thinking there are an awful lot of similarities between him and CJ Spiller, but he doesn't seem to be getting nearly the press Spiller was going into his senior season. The guy's got great hands, he's super fast and smooth, and he's a legitimate return man. If he runs in the 4.3s, like a lot of people expect him to, could he break into the first round discussion? He's got Dyer there, and Spiller had James Davis, Reggie Bush had LenDale White. McCalebb seems to be that kind of player.

He's got a 6.46 career yards per attempt average in the SEC with 2016 rushing yards in three seasons - he's been a situational player, but he entered that role as soon as he stepped on campus. Was second on the team in receiving yards last year. 27.9 KR average over his career.

So let's say everything goes best-case scenario - weighs in at the combine at 185 or so, runs a 4.3... Could he break into the first round conversation? Is he a day-two pick? Again, just to be clear - I don't see him as a "starting running back" - but with the way offenses are continuing to evolve, there's definitely a demand for versatile, fast running backs with good hands, and McCalebb's demonstrated that against elite competition. To me, if Isaiah Pead, Ronnie Hillman and LaMichael James are going Day 2, McCalebb shouldn't go any lower. Thoughts?

(Video)
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dyer is at Arkansas State now
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
Icon

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would say RD 3 or 4 would be appropriate for him.

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:36 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

More Chris Rainey than CJ Spiller.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:05 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
All-Pro

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Dyer is at Arkansas State now
Really? What happened there? First I've heard of this.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderz4life View Post
I would say RD 3 or 4 would be appropriate for him.
Yeah, and I mean, that's what a lot of people say this time of year, but there's always those players who shoot up. Especially if Dyer is gone, how high could he rise if, say, he runs for 1,000 yards and is a focal point of the offense? Maybe McCluster would be another relevant comparison.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:15 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
Really? What happened there? First I've heard of this.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...damages-auburn

He was suspended for the bowl game, he and Chizik didn't get along, and he wanted to be closer to home.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
All-Pro

Dyer's going to go nuts against Sun Belt defenses. Yeesh, that's gonna be nasty.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:19 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McCluster was on another level from McCalleb.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:12 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
McCluster was on another level from McCalleb.
C'mon, man. There's always this hindsight bias where people want to say players whose college careers are over are on some different level than current players. "Nah, man, so-and-so was waaaaay better than so-and-other-so."

Really? They both played in the SEC. Here's their production Freshman-Junior years.

- McCluster -

2006: 8 att, 68 yds, 8.5 ypc, 31 lng, 1 TD - 15 rec, 232 yds, 15.5 avg, 49 lng, 1 TD.
2007: 6 att, 63 yds, 10.5 ypc, 29 lng, 0 TD - 27 rec, 326 yds, 12.1 avg, 46 lng, 2 TD.
2008: 109 att, 655 yds, 6.0 ypc, 40 lng, 6 TD - 44 rec, 625 yds, 14.2 avg, 56 lng, 1 TD.

- McCalebb -

2009: 105 att, 565 yds, 5.4 ypc, 62 lng, 4 TD - 6 rec, 58 yds, 9.7 avg, 0 TD.
2010: 95 att, 810 yds, 8.5 ypc, 70 lng, 9 TD - 7 rec, 86 yds, 12.3 avg, 23 lng, 1 TD.
2011: 112 att, 641 yds, 5.7 ypc, 60 lng, 5 TD - 32 rec, 344 yds, 10.8 avg, 51 lng, 2 TD.

And McCalebb has done more in the return game. McCluster's big year was his senior year, and McCalebb is going into his senior year without last year's starter, so I'd expect a similar increase in production. You might point to 2010 and say he was benefiting from Cam Newton, but he was averaging 8.5 yards per carry, and then last year without him, he became the team's second-leading receiver while still averaging 5.7 a pop on a much less dynamic team. Take those things in hand with their small statures, and I think they have a pretty similar playing style. And remember, McCluster didn't time very well - McCalebb is expected to be a 4.40-kind of guy. I'm not trying to say he's better than McCluster, but we're talking about second-round types of players here, and I'm not exactly sure what puts McCluster "on another level." I'm just wondering what would keep McCalebb out of the second round, given the other names that've been thrown out there. He's been a dynamic, explosive player in CFB's toughest conference... what's not to like, other than his size?

I suppose I'm bringing it up because I typically see him outside of the top ten in RB rankings, and that just seems low given precedent and what he offers.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:15 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
All-Pro

^^^ Their stats are almost-inverted; McCluster became much more involved in the run game his junior year, while McCalebb really made an impact in the passing game his junior year. But their respective roles on their offenses were very similar - small, extremely quick big-play guys who you could get the ball to in a variety of ways. If anything, McCalebb has been a bigger part of his offense thus far than McCluster was at the same point in his career.

And McCalebb does a good job of hitting holes. Like any speed guy, there are going to be plays where you wish he wouldn't have danced and gotten down field faster, but I like that when I see footage against teams like LSU he'll just plant his foot when he sees a seam and stretch the defense through the middle; if the hole's there, he usually takes it.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 PM    (permalink
cajuncorey
Rookie

cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

a coward between the tackles not sufficent for the premier league, computer numbers are not enough for these types of backs. test them on the iron. if there lower half is real (ie darren sproles squating 800+) perhaps he can survive. beware of the scat back my friend.
cajuncorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:59 PM    (permalink
critesy
All-Pro

critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

as a huge auburn fan i'll give the low down.

he's about 5'10 170 (highest i see him getting is 175)
he'll definitely run in the 4.3's.
he has no shiftiness what so ever, just runs really really fast.
trips over his feet when he does try to juke.
amazing hands.
tough guy for his size. takes huge hits and always gets up.
great vision. running and returning.

auburn has moved to a pro style offense this year with malzahn gone and it'll be interesting to see how he's used. im guessing the same as past years as a situational player.

im guessing he'll go 4th.

RIP, Sean Taylor.
critesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:32 PM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by critesy View Post
as a huge auburn fan

my condolences
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:42 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any chance he's asked to become a primary slot WR at the next level like McCluster?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:27 AM    (permalink
critesy
All-Pro

critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Any chance he's asked to become a primary slot WR at the next level like McCluster?
meh, i dont think so. i cant really see him do much other than returning, or special packages for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHL6719 View Post
my condolences
ya ya good job, youre an alabama fan. since saban came the iron bowl is 3-2 in your favour. its not like youve been all superior.

RIP, Sean Taylor.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:19 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuncorey View Post
a coward between the tackles not sufficent for the premier league, computer numbers are not enough for these types of backs. test them on the iron. if there lower half is real (ie darren sproles squating 800+) perhaps he can survive. beware of the scat back my friend.
One must not be too quick to associate a necessarily elusive running style with cowardice; featherweights must be judged on their willingness to be pulverized while utilizing their strengths, such as they are. Watch him pull through the middle of the Bayou Horde. Ever more, the premeir league covets speed, and the spindly Tiger can run.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:44 AM    (permalink
cajuncorey
Rookie

cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
One must not be too quick to associate a necessarily elusive running style with cowardice; featherweights must be judged on their willingness to be pulverized while utilizing their strengths, such as they are. Watch him pull through the middle of the Bayou Horde. Ever more, the premeir league covets speed, and the spindly Tiger can run.
In the real universe the Boxer position, as George Orwell would describe it, is reserved for those capable of not only recieveing punishment not on only on the exterior but on the interior as well. As well as there ability to move along the X axis. Speed would be placed 3rd, that is why Mark Ingram, of whoms computer numbers are ungodly yet he goes in the first despite that. He goes on to gain 4 yards a carry for the next 7 years boring yet sufficient.

As speaking for your spindly Tiger, Defenses in the premeir league do not open up as the proverbial red sea would. I am reminded of a time back in 2001 when we selected Michael Bennett in the first in the fake universe, in the real universe he goes in the 4th. His mind and body deteriorated as did the Id, ego and super ego.

To conclude the so called featherweights are purely gimmicks and wrinkles you may include but not worthey of day 1 or day 2 attention
cajuncorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
All-Pro

That may be so. But the point is that in the fake universe, the spindly Tiger's peers have been routinely valued at a premium, even when it's clear that other Boxers, such as the Cowboy-Hat Province's Aryan galloper, can be found well beyond the most glorious, more critical, initial rounds of conscription.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:39 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
C'mon, man. There's always this hindsight bias where people want to say players whose college careers are over are on some different level than current players. "Nah, man, so-and-so was waaaaay better than so-and-other-so."

Really? They both played in the SEC. Here's their production Freshman-Junior years.

- McCluster -

2006: 8 att, 68 yds, 8.5 ypc, 31 lng, 1 TD - 15 rec, 232 yds, 15.5 avg, 49 lng, 1 TD.
2007: 6 att, 63 yds, 10.5 ypc, 29 lng, 0 TD - 27 rec, 326 yds, 12.1 avg, 46 lng, 2 TD.
2008: 109 att, 655 yds, 6.0 ypc, 40 lng, 6 TD - 44 rec, 625 yds, 14.2 avg, 56 lng, 1 TD.

- McCalebb -

2009: 105 att, 565 yds, 5.4 ypc, 62 lng, 4 TD - 6 rec, 58 yds, 9.7 avg, 0 TD.
2010: 95 att, 810 yds, 8.5 ypc, 70 lng, 9 TD - 7 rec, 86 yds, 12.3 avg, 23 lng, 1 TD.
2011: 112 att, 641 yds, 5.7 ypc, 60 lng, 5 TD - 32 rec, 344 yds, 10.8 avg, 51 lng, 2 TD.

And McCalebb has done more in the return game. McCluster's big year was his senior year, and McCalebb is going into his senior year without last year's starter, so I'd expect a similar increase in production. You might point to 2010 and say he was benefiting from Cam Newton, but he was averaging 8.5 yards per carry, and then last year without him, he became the team's second-leading receiver while still averaging 5.7 a pop on a much less dynamic team. Take those things in hand with their small statures, and I think they have a pretty similar playing style. And remember, McCluster didn't time very well - McCalebb is expected to be a 4.40-kind of guy. I'm not trying to say he's better than McCluster, but we're talking about second-round types of players here, and I'm not exactly sure what puts McCluster "on another level." I'm just wondering what would keep McCalebb out of the second round, given the other names that've been thrown out there. He's been a dynamic, explosive player in CFB's toughest conference... what's not to like, other than his size?

I suppose I'm bringing it up because I typically see him outside of the top ten in RB rankings, and that just seems low given precedent and what he offers.
Well, McCluster was nothing before his senior year. Or, at most, a shadow of what he would become.

McCluster didn't become a viable prospect until he began to dominate SEC defenses his senior year, and not by simply running around them. McCalleb won't do that.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:35 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

idk why, but kinda reminds me of ted ginn..

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:56 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Hah, that's about right. Ginn was even faster and had more wiggle though.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:06 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McCalebb always seems to be making plays when I watch Auburn. I like play makers.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:09 PM    (permalink
critesy
All-Pro

ted ginn is a real good comparison. best one to come of mind.

RIP, Sean Taylor.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:39 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Hah, that's about right. Ginn was even faster and had more wiggle though.
well we don't know for sure about the speed, but Ginn really doesn't have much wiggle either albeit he is more elusive. They both look like long striders that read defenses pretty well but won't do much without being in space to build up speed. I don't really know how good of a return man McCalebb is, but just from the stretch plays he seemed alot like Ginn.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote