Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 01-16-2015, 02:07 PM    (permalink
Mr. X
Rookie

Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.
Post Bears hire John Fox as Head Coach

Quote:
John Fox is the new head coach of the Chicago Bears, agreeing to a four-year deal on Friday, sources told ESPN.

Fox becomes Chicago's third head coach since 2012, taking over for Marc Trestman, who was fired on Dec. 29 along with general manager Phil Emery, after posting a 13-19 record over two seasons. The Bears have missed the postseason for four consecutive years.

Fox produced a record of 46-18 over four seasons with the Denver Broncos, leading the club to a postseason in every year of his tenure, while winning the AFC West in each of those years.

Fox is one of just six coaches (Don Shula, Dan Reeves, Bill Parcells, Mike Holmgren, Dick Vermeil) to lead two different teams to the Super Bowl.

Fox joined the Broncos in 2011 after spending nine seasons as head coach of the Carolina Panthers (2002-10).

He inherits a talented, yet underachieving offense coming off a season in which it produced the top completion percentage (65) in franchise history, while ranking No. 2 in the club's record book in completions (396), passing attempts (609) and passing touchdowns.

Running back Matt Forte set the NFL record in receptions (102), and finished third in yards from scrimmage (1,846). Alshon Jeffery posted his second-consecutive 1,000 yard receiving season, and tight end Martellus Bennett set a club record for receptions by a tight end (90), while guard Kyle Long received Pro Bowl recognition for the second straight year.

Still, question marks exist at the quarterback position. Jay Cutler set the team's single-season record in completions (370), and hit career highs in completion percentage (66), and passing touchdowns (28) in 2014. However, he also tied Philip Rivers for throwing the most interceptions in the NFL with 18. Cutler also lost six fumbles to lead the league in turnovers. As a result, Trestman benched the quarterback for a Dec. 21 loss to the Detroit Lions in favor of Jimmy Clausen.

Under Fox, the club hopes to regain its identity on defense. But talent deficiencies exist, along with difficult decisions about how to proceed with aging veterans such as cornerback Charles Tillman and linebacker Lance Briggs.

The defense produced a few bright spots in cornerback Kyle Fuller (led all rookies with four interceptions and tied for the NFL lead among rookies with three forced fumbles), and defensive end Willie Young (10 sacks) along with defensive tackles Jeremiah Ratliff and Stephen Paea (combined 11.5 sacks).

But the unit needs an infusion of talent in several areas, namely the secondary, as the Bears ranked 30th against the pass, and allowed opposing quarterbacks to rack up a passer rating of 101.7.

It's unknown what Fox plans to do with the assistants remaining from Trestman's staff. It's likely some will interview for positions on the new staff.

Former Panthers quarterback Jake Delhomme played for Fox from 2003-09 when the coach led the franchise to its only Super Bowl appearance (2003), and he believes Fox will make an instant impact.

"You're talking about a coach that takes Carolina to their only Super Bowl in franchise existence," Delhomme said Wednesday during the "Carmen & Jurko Show" on ESPN ESPN 1000. "He goes to Denver and wins four division championships. Obviously, people will say, 'Well of course, he had Peyton Manning.' Well, he had Tim Tebow for the first one. I'm not sure how talented that roster was when he first got there, and they won a playoff game. So I think you bring an instant winner as soon as you walk in, and one that is going to reflect well with the players."
Source: http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story...john-fox-coach
Mr. X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:09 PM    (permalink
Mr. X
Rookie

Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.

I think I like this hiring, but I'm interested to see what we get for OC and DC before my opinion of this is a bit more concrete.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:14 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
Icon

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is a safe hire. Unfortunately, that is not what this team needs. The defense is miserable. I don't think Fox is the right guy to work with Cutler. And he is pretty old. By the time the team gets the talent to compete, Fox is going to be retiring and we'll just have to start over again. This move is just going to have the Bear treading water for the next five seasons. Either be good or bad. With Fox, we'll be mediocre which is the worst thing you can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:23 PM    (permalink
Mr. X
Rookie

I honestly don't know if anyone can work with Cutler now, as in he seems to be one of those guys who might have to go through a million coaches before he finds that one that can bring out the best football player in Cutler.

I also kind of hope the assistants will be up-and-coming guys that add some new perspective on things while Fox becomes a stabilizing figure for a few years. If we can improve standings and rankings, he retires, and can promote within house and keep it all up across the board that would be a desirable outcome for this whole organization.

With the holes on this team and a very suspect upper-management, I don't think a quick turnaround is likely at all.