Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 05-11-2014, 06:50 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
A lot depends on how this offense is and how hard RR works. If he can do well then good things can happen.
A lot does depend on the offense and with a goal of a top 4 offense, McAdoo has set the bar high and is developing an explosive offense.

It all starts up front and we have done a good job of overhauling our offensive line. There is a ton of depth this year and there will be fierce competition in training camp, which bodes well. The other thing I like is that there is the opportunity to keep the core of these guys together for a few years. I really like the potential of this unit.
The other factor at play here is that we are moving to a zone blocking system (probably not unlike what the Packers), which plays better to the type of players we have (note that Schwartz, Jerry and Walton all came from ZBS and Brown while playing in a man scheme, is also a good fit for a ZBS). It is also worth mentioning that most of the top running games in the NFL use zone blocking schemes.

As far as Randle goes, I don't think things will rely on him. We are going to use a variety of WR looks. Again we have good competition with Beckham, Randle, Manningham and Jernigan; the bottom line is that Randle is going to have to work hard to get on the field.
I really think the simplified routes of McAdoo's system will also really help Randle. With Gilbride's option route system Eli and Randle weren't on the same page, now both will know the route and Randle will be open or not.

The other factor is the running game, with Jennings and Williams we have two bruising downhill RBs and Wilson (if healthy) has power and speed. We will have a strong power running game to complement our passing attack
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:16 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Offense

Yeah I absolutely see that these players fit well for a ZBS. All three of our running backs are downhill runners that rely only one or two cuts. I think our line is going to be much better than we will even expect, because of the fits and because I think Beatty and Pugh also fit better in this system not being overly strong. Richburg was a good pick for the system.

I guess I think for what we want to do and what principles we have, we were successful. Jerry was asked what we were going to do with the TE position given that it is an important position for us. He seemed befuddled as to why someone would think that, and addressed it saying we haven't held the position important at all.

If we saw such a need at the position, wouldn't a TE coach as our OC be pounding the table for one? If that's not the case, which I would think because we failed to address it in free agency or the draft, he believes we have a sufficient starter in house.

As far as our receivers, I do think that Beckham would be a nasty WCO receiver. All of our receivers are good in space. Randle, our punt returner, I would say is the least crafty in space.

Defense

So as we all know we really don't care much about linebacker, I suspected a change in formation but I don't see it anymore. Moore seems better as a standup rusher, so I am a little distraught on how that likely won't be an often occurrence.

Kennard does seem to fit the position I was talking about previous, but I feel like he was completely brought in for the reasoning of special teams.

Bromley kindof pissed me off because I wanted Mason who reminded me a lot of Arian Foster. However that production is nice and I do think that I am missing something and need to look further.

Berhe looks like a poor man's bob sanders. He hits like a tiny tank lol. I think we found a very good special teamer. Jackson probably won't make the roster but we'll see.

I really wish we picked a DE up but I guess we have a plan I don't know about.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:00 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we are still looking to add a TE, but it depends on who is available. I think we are still quite interested in Jermichael Finlay but it depends on his medical situation
Old 05-11-2014, 09:06 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I am actually starting to like the Bromley pick

He has been productive against decent competiton, he is physical and has had a few double. while perhaps not a natural pass rusher, was still productive with 10 sacks and 14.5 TFL last year.

The other plus is that he has good size at and the front office expect him to get stronger with another 15-20lbs of muscle so playing around 6-3, 320 is decent size.

From everything I have read this kid is very coachable and has excellent work ethic. He seems to be a very nice complement to Hankins.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I think we are looking at Kennard as competition with McClain for the OLB spot vacated by Rivers. Kennard can get into the backfield and make plays.

One thing that stands out is the sheer number of DBs we have this year

We have brought in guys like Demps, Bowman plus have guys like McBride and James who were solid last year and we have a big influx at both corner and safety in the draft and as free agents. Watching these guys in training camp will be a lot of fun with intense competition for a few spots.

I think it is fair to say the biggest impact will be on special teams where we will have great coverage.

The other big plus should be the return game with Holliday, Beckhum, Demps, Wilson, Jernigan and Randle in the mix
Old 05-11-2014, 10:49 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting fact:

Odell Beckham played at Newman, where all three Manning brothers played HS ball. Only other receiver in school history to record a 1,000 yard season besides Cooper Manning.

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-11-2014, 10:59 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So excited to see ODB lining up with Cruz next to him in the slot, those two will have corners ******** themselves not knowing how they're going to get burned. Randle and the pass rush are two big pieces who could make us SB contenders with huge years, or just one of the many mediocre NFC East teams. If Randle puts it together the offense can be deadly and if the pass rush comes to life our D will be very good to.

I didn't expect to be excited for this year, but with how they attacked the OL and gave Eli weapons to do work with I am.

Also for a late round draft pick this Bennett Jackson cat seems very interesting, good size, smart, tough and hard working, very good athleticism as those are really impressive measurables for his explosiviness, good hands, good special teamer, and still very new to playing defense but he seems to have good natural instincts for the position so there should be quite a bit of room for growth there. If he sticks around, and with his intangibles and special teams prowess that seems quite possible, could see him become a player in a year or two as some of these signings move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.

Last edited by cgf (Rosebud) : 05-11-2014 at 11:07 PM.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:14 PM    (permalink
Mel Pipeher
Rookie

Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.

Barring injuries I really don't see this draft class contributing a whole lot this season. I love what we did in free agency but the draft I'm just ok with.

I do love the character of this class tho. Really seems like we got a good group of guys. The fact that 5 of them were team captains shows maturity and I think the idea there is to hope they pick up the O or D quickly and contribute where and when they are asked to. And in reality that's all we can really hope for.
Mel Pipeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:18 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: I feel like a, like a slice o' butter,melting on top of a big-ol pile of flapjacks...yeah
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

reason like 200 why Steve Weatherford is the man

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:40 AM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

I've been watching some game tape of Richburg, and my god he leaves a lot to be desired in run blocking. I don't see him being a starter for that reason. I do think he is a good pass protector with very good technique and concept, but he whiffs and often blocks his player toward the play in run blocking.

I do think run blocking is more teachable than pass protection, which is why I am not going to say David Yankey would've been a better pick (he often reaches and whiffs and plays with way too much lean).

What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGaPDr_-MiA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsAk6wDXnYw

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-12-2014, 01:34 AM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

I also am a little hesitant to like the Andre Williams pick with how dominant the offensive line for BC looked and fumbling issues.

I do like the way he operates by only setting his defenders up to fail by one or two altered steps and then running through arm tackles or using his nasty stiff arm.

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-12-2014, 09:55 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN View Post
I've been watching some game tape of Richburg, and my god he leaves a lot to be desired in run blocking. I don't see him being a starter for that reason. I do think he is a good pass protector with very good technique and concept, but he whiffs and often blocks his player toward the play in run blocking.

I do think run blocking is more teachable than pass protection, which is why I am not going to say David Yankey would've been a better pick (he often reaches and whiffs and plays with way too much lean).

What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGaPDr_-MiA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsAk6wDXnYw

All that can be taught. Also, he will probably add muscle to him just like Pugh did this off season and work with his other OL mates like Schwartz and Snee
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:05 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
All that can be taught. Also, he will probably add muscle to him just like Pugh did this off season and work with his other OL mates like Schwartz and Snee
The key will be his athleticism and being the QB of the Oline. Like most rookies he will need to get stonger, but technique can help.

The changes to a zone blocking scheme will help.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seems like we have a team of athletic blocks yet we sign Schwartz who goes 6-6 340. Not saying hes not a fit, but it just seems like there is no real direction.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:24 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the direction is to improve on the offensive line. I'm not huge on the whole drafting for scheme on the offensive line. Just get guys who are good blockers.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:08 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Schwartz is experienced in a zone blocking scheme at KC where he did very well.

We are going to have a power running game with a zbs.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:25 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We drafted a guy who can play in different schemes in Weston R. His ability to move and chip off well help with different running concepts. I think he is a solid prospect who can possibly start. If Snee can come back and that's a big IF, then I think our right side can be good.

Richburg-Snee-Pugh.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:39 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

Richburg doesn't do well with down blocks either, although i do blame some of it on the other players. CSU running backs would take it outside way too often instead of being patient and waiting for a crease, and sometimes the crease was so slight or came way too late (other blockers). Either way though, he's not an effective run blocker.

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-12-2014, 09:46 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: I feel like a, like a slice o' butter,melting on top of a big-ol pile of flapjacks...yeah
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sulia.com/channel/new-york-sp...factor=desktop

Nice little tid-bit on the "history" between Eli and ODB

Old 05-13-2014, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

With Richburg, he was the top center on our board, which means he is the guy we liked the most. Sure like most he has things he needs to work on, like most he will have to get stronger and improve his technique.

I was thinking further and I think we have one of the better and most experienced scouting departments in the NFL so we do have different grades on talent than the general consensus, moreover we are willing to stand by our convictions.

The front office then work out how to build the roster, again we do our own way of doing things, but it does work and we have a pair of recent SB rings to prove it.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:54 AM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

Bottom line for me though, this draft shows some pretty obvious flaws. I would like to watch the senior bowl that Richburg apparently dominated, because that may offer a bit of relief.

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-14-2014, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I have looked over the roster and I like how it has shaped up.

The rookies have flaws (like most) but they fit in wth what we do and they all have good potential, work ethic and are coachable.

Do not forget that one of the key attributes Coughlin likes in his coaches is the ability to teach.

Lets get them in our system with proper strength and conditioning, technique etc and see what they can do.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:02 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN View Post
Bottom line for me though, this draft shows some pretty obvious flaws. I would like to watch the senior bowl that Richburg apparently dominated, because that may offer a bit of relief.
Really? I mean every draft has flaws, but I think we did very well here. ODB is a monster and will be great for us. Richburg has a great head on his shoulders, quick feet and great pass blocking instincts. Bromley has good tools, a good head on his shoulders and works hard. Andre is an excellent runner who's hands are a complete mystery and the last three are fine later rounders, the Bennett Jackson kid even has my excited, or as excited as a 6th rounder can get you.

Sure Richburg needs to get stronger and improve his run blocking. Sure Williams has to prove he can be a factor in the passing game, even if it's just as a blocker, and improve his ball security. Sure Bromley isn't a special athlete at DT and sure those late rounders won't give us anything other than specials for the forseeable future, but compare those to the flaws most draft classes have and the big flaws are all things that will improve. I'm very happy with this draft, two long term starters that'll rejuvenate our passing game and two quality rotational pieces is a really good draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:05 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Here are some articles that I found interesting on

C Weston Richburg
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...k_on_tape.html

DT Jay Bromley
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...ound_pick.html
Old 05-15-2014, 09:58 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

I just hope TC isn't afraid to play our rookies this year. We had a big roster turnover and there is no reason to not let these kids go out there and play this year