Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 01-09-2014, 08:27 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love Shazier. I'm really digging the 1st round CBs that we could get too if the best available OT isn't worth the 12th pick.

I think both Dennard and Dix would be great selections for us at 12. We need a CB.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:19 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Keep an eye on Kenarious Gates, #72 on Georgia. He's their Left Tackle. I think he's got a ton of potential and I think he can be a good sleeper LT prospect.

I don't know where he ranks among draftniks, but I scouted 1 Georgia game and came away very impressed. He has the size, length, strength, a good understanding of flow and protection, and good enough footspeed from what I saw to play LT in this league.

I need to see more, but my early take on him is I'm very impressed.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I love Shazier. I'm really digging the 1st round CBs that we could get too if the best available OT isn't worth the 12th pick.

I think both Dennard and Dix would be great selections for us at 12. We need a CB.
I agree but I am not sold on the options for CB at 12, we can get good value later.

I do actually like the idea of trading down, there will be excellent value at 12. If we looked at trading down to around 18 we would also get #49 by the trade value chart.

at 18 we have good options at OT, WR, LB, TE

at 49 we can look at a quality CB, OL, DT, RB

I would be very happy for example if we could turn #12 into CJ Mosley and Bishop Sankey

or we could look at trading further back perhaps to Cleveland for #26 (from Indy) and #35
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The other fact that is worth noting is that there are going to be around 100 underclassmen declaring for the draft, almost double the previous record.

There is going to be exceptional depth at some positions and players will get pushed down.

There is plenty of depth at WR, T, G, CB, LB. The TE group is solid as well.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:50 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Keep an eye on Kenarious Gates, #72 on Georgia. He's their Left Tackle. I think he's got a ton of potential and I think he can be a good sleeper LT prospect.

I don't know where he ranks among draftniks, but I scouted 1 Georgia game and came away very impressed. He has the size, length, strength, a good understanding of flow and protection, and good enough footspeed from what I saw to play LT in this league.

I need to see more, but my early take on him is I'm very impressed.
CBS Sports currently has Gates ranked at the 24th OT with a 7th round/FA projection

I am going to keep an eye on this guy, with so much depth this year the offseason workouts will be huge.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:45 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
CBS Sports currently has Gates ranked at the 24th OT with a 7th round/FA projection

I am going to keep an eye on this guy, with so much depth this year the offseason workouts will be huge.
That's even better for us. I feel like this guy with some coaching can be a solid OT in this league. He has all the tools, and really turned it on at the end of the year, after having what sounds like (I only watched 2 games so far) an awful start to the season.

I feel like he's a guy who can play LT, but also has potential at RT and both G positions. I think he's a valuable commodity, especially if he's a later round grade. I know we all mock the "project" OLmen we get in the middle of the draft, but I think this guy has a ton of potential to be one that pans out. He just needs some coaching.

His best projection to the next level is probably RG, but I really do feel he has OT potential. He's a guy we can hopefully develop in the event that Beatty is a bust.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:16 AM    (permalink
BaLLiN
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If there were any time for Jerry to trade down and gain more picks, it would be this year. You're trying to turn over a roster to some degree, and with the knowledge that Coughlin is near retirement/being let go, you have opportunity to put more guys fit for the schemes which are working in the nfl.

I do like Nassib, is he a potential starter in the future? maybe. He is capable of being a read-option QB as well as a pocket passer. I like his arm strength, confidence, but he makes some questionable throws. The main thing for me is he is a player that would be preferable in the new NFL. Mobility is very important.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:26 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I don't think we can even fairly judge Nassib based on the PS. Think about it. Eli looked awful this year behind that OL, and that's Eli. Now you're asking a rookie qb to run our complex offense in the PS behind the super scrub backups of what already is probably the worst OL in the league? The kid had no chance.

So I don't think we can even accurately say anything about Nassib yet until we fix our OL and see him function behind it.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we all want trade downs every year. Except BBD, who always wants to trade up.

I agree with the trade down though. I want to key on OL, and there doesn't look like a Warmack or Cooper this year. Trade back in the 19-24 range and pick up an extra 2nd? Done.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:47 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Yeah since Clowney seems like a dream at this point, and there doesn't seem to be an OT that's worth the 12th pick, I'm in favor of trading back.

The only risk we take in doing this is, we are in desperate need of OT help, and trading back will land us a quality player with additional pick(s) but at the same time it doesn't guarantee that we get an OT when we move back.

So we better feel comfortable with going BPA in the draft if we decide to move back. If we're hell bent on getting an OT then we can't afford to.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I mean, if we trade back and miss out on an OT I'd be quite happy grabbing a safety, C, OG, or CB even. Although I feel pretty good at CB. Prince is a stud. McBride played really well I thought. Plus TT/Ross/Webster, if he's still around.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:54 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I mean, if we trade back and miss out on an OT I'd be quite happy grabbing a safety, C, OG, or CB even. Although I feel pretty good at CB. Prince is a stud. McBride played really well I thought. Plus TT/Ross/Webster, if he's still around.
I'd love a CB, LB, DE (although I doubt a good one will be available on the trade back), OG or C.

I think if we can land a Dennard or Dix, pair him up with Prince and that makes a great duo moving forward. Shazier in the 2nd, and I'm wet.

But if we went OL, OL, OL and OL in the draft I'd be perfectly fine with this too.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah. I really just want a stud OL. When you look at teams with stud OLs it just doesn't matter who you have at RB. Watching teams like SF blow up defensive lines is just fun. I just want to have a stud OL. Badly. Makes your offense improve across the board for so many reasons. More time = QB has time to throw, WRs have more time to get open, more big plays down field, more holes for RBs to have big gains, etc. Even with all the acclaim linemen get these days it is still the most underrated aspect of an offense if you ask me.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:49 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know versatility is nice, but I'd wish they'd just say Pugh is our ___. He will be learning no other positions, he will spend all his time on ___.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:50 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I think they're strongly considering him at LT. Call it crazy, but when he played LT in PS, he looked very impressive.

The only thing that's holding me back from saying he can play LT is his arms. Conventional wisdom says he can't do it bc of that. But what if he can?
Old 01-10-2014, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

There have been guys to play LT very well with shorter arms. It's not essential to have long arms. I'd honestly say it's more one of those football myths we buy into.

And I don't think it's possible to slot Pugh into any position just yet. Once we complete our FA/draft I think we'll know where his permanent position is.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:13 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so what the **** are we gonna do with beatty then?

I mean, is gonna have a good week of training camp and prove that he's "tough" again and then get steamshoveled backwards by some dudes who are rated under a 70 in madden during the regular season?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:17 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I think Beatty is what he is. He was "tough" during his contract year to get paid, now he's back to being a marshmallow. They need to move him to RT where he was productive prior to his contract year and hope we can salvage him there. And if he still sucks there then you just have to bench him. What else can you do?

That was a bad contract. We goofed when we extended him.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:02 PM    (permalink
Mike Maycock
Rookie

Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Beatty should be moved back to RT. He'll be fine there. Pugh isn't a LT. Move him to LG and lets get a real LT in there.

My top choices are:

Jared Veldheer - One of the better young left tackles in football.

Anthony Collins - In 592 snaps, Pro Football Focus has Collins as the only tackle in the league that didn't give up a sack or a hit on the quarterback this season.

Eugene Monroe - A NJ Native who is well rounded as a run blocker and pass blocker.

Sign one of them, then in the draft get better depth and potential starters. Two guys I like Bryan Stork C Florida St and a sleeper late round pick, Ian White RG/RT from Boston College.
Mike Maycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:51 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

We could look at OT in free agency.

I still think there is a chance a top OT like Matthews or Robinson slides to 12
Old 01-13-2014, 11:56 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Anthony Collins and Alex Mack in FA please.

Collins at RT, Mack at Center, Pugh at LG, draft a LT. Then we'll be cooking.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:03 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Depends on how big Pugh can get. He may get moved to LT. Though he did show a lot of progress at RT.

We still need a RG.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:07 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Well, regardless, let's assume Pugh addresses one of the following positions: RT, RG, LG, or LT.

So we need 4 other guys. If we can get Collins and Mack, that's 2 out of 4. Including Pugh that means we have 3/5th of the OL sorted out.

We can grab a G in the 2nd round and that's probably good enough. It's gonna be impossible to have all 5 guys on the OL the way we want it in one offseason but if we can nab 2 FAs and 1 guy in the draft that would be a dream scenario.

I really think Pugh can play LT, he was very impressive in the PS, but those arms just scare me.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:16 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lets take it one step at a time, especially the way we develop OL. You're assuming we sign those 2 guys. What about Snee, David D, and Baas's contract? We have a lot to sift through before we automatically have those guys signed and on the roster like you have.

Let's wait and see who our OC is first.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

I think two big OL in FA is a bit of a dream. I'd concentrate on one and see if we can get Boothe back on another 1 yr deal. Grab an OG in the 2nd like you said.

FA LT - Pugh - Boothe - Drafted OG - Beatty?

I can take that line.