Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 02-14-2014, 06:23 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we can address our major needs elsewhere, I would like to see us address linebackers in the draft. With the prolific passing offenses that are common these days, we really need fast athletic playmakers at LB.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:30 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We probably draft mid to late round, and/or sign an undrafted one. I would be surprised if we draft one earlier.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
We probably draft mid to late round, and/or sign an undrafted one. I would be surprised if we draft one earlier.
You are probably right but then again much the same was said about OL and RB in recent years.

I would like to see us get a playmaker LB who can QB our defence.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:07 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's see how free agency goes first. There are free agent OLmen that can be had if we're willing to get them.

Brandon Albert, Michael Oher, Alex Mack, Roger Saffold, all those guys would improve our OL one way or another.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:21 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you guys think of Zach Martin, OT from Notre Dame?
Old 02-18-2014, 12:41 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Let's see how free agency goes first. There are free agent OLmen that can be had if we're willing to get them.

Brandon Albert, Michael Oher, Alex Mack, Roger Saffold, all those guys would improve our OL one way or another.
Have Saffold or Oher really shown anything better the Beatty and Pugh?
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:48 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
Have Saffold or Oher really shown anything better the Beatty and Pugh?
Saffold looked solid at G for the Rams. I wouldn't want him at T. Oher...he's probably not gonna do much for us, we might as well just move Beatty to RT.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Good I like him. We have a lot of good options at 12 I am interested in.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:38 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Good I like him. We have a lot of good options at 12 I am interested in.
I think Martin is more of a late 1st early 2nd range. He's an awful lot like Pugh in terms of value. I really like the OL depth in this draft. In fact the depth in general is excellent. The more I think of it the more I'm in favor of tryiing to move back and collecting picks bc you want draft picks in this draft for sure.

And as much as I want to address OL in FA to leave our options open in the draft, I'm also leaning towards just sticking to the draft and going young and cheap. Draft picks are always better than free agents.

I'm excited for this draft class.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:07 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think Martin is more of a late 1st early 2nd range. He's an awful lot like Pugh in terms of value. I really like the OL depth in this draft. In fact the depth in general is excellent. The more I think of it the more I'm in favor of tryiing to move back and collecting picks bc you want draft picks in this draft for sure.

And as much as I want to address OL in FA to leave our options open in the draft, I'm also leaning towards just sticking to the draft and going young and cheap. Draft picks are always better than free agents.

I was just about to pop in and make the comparison with Martin and Pugh. It is scary how close their measurables, versatility, and projected draft range is slotted. He really put on a good show at the seniorbowl and performed well at both T and G. He was one of the few guys that could keep in front of Aaron Donald once he kicked inside.

I like him a ton at RG in our scheme but would have no issue kicking him out to RT once Doug Free is out of the picture. It would be nice for you guys to have a set of players with a ton of positional flex going foward too.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:16 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:

It depends. I want to see who is on the board when we pick. We will get someone very, very good. I'd rather get a blue chip guy then get more pick, because honestly man, I don't trust Ross with those picks.

We had a lot of picks and drafted Clint S, Barden, beatty, and Beckum.
That's a shaky drafting job. So getting more picks is something I don't think means we get good players. I'd rather trust the FO in drafting a good first rounder and with a lot of blue chip guys I trust them to at least do that.

Trading down, and getting more picks, means the better players are gone, and now you're assuming we can parlay those picks into good players. I don't believe in the staff to do that.

We are weak right now in 2-5 round drafting. Specifically, 3-5 I guess. I know in general more picks is a good thing, but the rate we are drafting, I'd take the blue chip guy.

OL, CB, TE, WR, and S are my guys, This is not in order but just a list of positions I'd accept as a first rounder.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:24 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
It depends. I want to see who is on the board when we pick. We will get someone very, very good. I'd rather get a blue chip guy then get more pick, because honestly man, I don't trust Ross with those picks.

We had a lot of picks and drafted Clint S, Barden, beatty, and Beckum.
That's a shaky drafting job. So getting more picks is something I don't think means we get good players. I'd rather trust the FO in drafting a good first rounder and with a lot of blue chip guys I trust them to at least do that.

Trading down, and getting more picks, means the better players are gone, and now you're assuming we can parlay those picks into good players. I don't believe in the staff to do that.

We are weak right now in 2-5 round drafting. Specifically, 3-5 I guess. I know in general more picks is a good thing, but the rate we are drafting, I'd take the blue chip guy.

OL, CB, TE, WR, and S are my guys, This is not in order but just a list of positions I'd accept as a first rounder.
Well, let's take a look at FA and see what players both upper tier and middle tier are worth a look and who can address holes for us. After we establish that we'll get a much better idea of what direction we can take in the draft.

Ive always felt you fill holes in FA and acquire talent in the draft. Let's see what holes we can fill in FA.

The flipside to that is however, when you fill a hole in FA you avoid drafting a player in that position in the draft. That's just the nature of the business. And sometimes you wind up worse for it because you passed on a young great talent in a position where you needed an upgrade.

It's a double edged sword. Part of me wants to just stick to the draft for that reason. We need to get younger anyway.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:33 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Well, let's take a look at FA and see what players both upper tier and middle tier are worth a look and who can address holes for us. After we establish that we'll get a much better idea of what direction we can take in the draft.

Ive always felt you fill holes in FA and acquire talent in the draft. Let's see what holes we can fill in FA.

The flipside to that is however, when you fill a hole in FA you avoid drafting a player in that position in the draft. That's just the nature of the business. And sometimes you wind up worse for it because you passed on a young great talent in a position where you needed an upgrade.

It's a double edged sword. Part of me wants to just stick to the draft for that reason. We need to get younger anyway.
I am not sure how much we want to spend. We have a lot of holes on this team and I highly doubt we go out and spend, especially if teams keep their guys. That means you create a market where teams are bidding on average to above average talent and giving those guys big time money.

I agree with that logic, but my point is I don't want to stock pile picks for the sole purpose I don't trust our FO with more picks. More picks doesn't mean we will get better. 2009 we swung and missed ith the Shockey trade picks. We screwed up royally. If we have a shot at getting a blue chip player at 12, I am taking it.

Now if a team offers their next years first rounder, and it's a sucky team so the chances are we can get a top 10 or top 5 pick, then I'd go for that. But in general, I'd like to hold still at 12, and see what happens and who falls to us.

Getting younger is an important issue we should be trying now.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:36 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

We have no choice but to hope they hit their draft picks. If anything, if you're a poor drafting team, you should have in theory more success with more picks because of the percentages.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:04 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
We have no choice but to hope they hit their draft picks. If anything, if you're a poor drafting team, you should have in theory more success with more picks because of the percentages.
I realize that theory, but yet they have struck out big time. Clint S, Barden, Beckum, and Beatty is average to slightly above average. That's a god awful return in our investment.

That's on Ross because that was his first draft I believe. Now in a loaded draft, I don't trust that they could stockpile picks and then hit on a lot of them. Our drafts have gotten worse, so right now I don't have faith in Ross since he came to our franchise.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:08 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Am I the only one excited the draft is later this year? Pretty much ever since I've been in college the draft has ALWAYS fallen during finals week. This time I can actually sit back, relax, and enjoy it.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:10 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Am I the only one excited the draft is later this year? Pretty much ever since I've been in college the draft has ALWAYS fallen during finals week. This time I can actually sit back, relax, and enjoy it.

I'm not for the simple reason that I have to wait longer for the draft.

It's like finding out that Christmas was rescheduled to January 4th.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like how FA plays out longer before the draft but that's it.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I like Zach Martin quite a bit and wouldn't be surprised if he was in the mix at 12.

He is a lot like a more polished version of Justin Pugh.

I get what people say about value, but the Giants tend to look a little differently.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:05 PM    (permalink
Mike Maycock
Rookie

Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't imagine martin being one of our top 12 rated players in the draft. More like 15-20 but you never know with Reese and crew. I'm still in favor of a trade back to acquire more picks no matter how bad we tend to **** up rounds 2-7.
Mike Maycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:39 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Maycock View Post
I can't imagine martin being one of our top 12 rated players in the draft. More like 15-20 but you never know with Reese and crew. I'm still in favor of a trade back to acquire more picks no matter how bad we tend to **** up rounds 2-7.
I agree, Martin is probably has 15-20 value. I am in favour of trading back but I don't see it happening.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we have him rated highly.

One of Martin's key aspects is his versatility, I could see him potentially playing either tackle or either guard spot for us and be the kind of player you just plug in and play.

I don't see us taking a LB and the value doesn't seem to be there at DE or CB. At WR there is plenty of depth.

if Joseph leaves, that changes things somewhat and a DT could be in the mix.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:30 AM    (permalink
Mike Maycock
Rookie

Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It would be a dream come true if we can get our hands on Khalil Mack.
Mike Maycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:52 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I like Barr's length more honestly. I don't get all the Barr hate. The guy is fast, long and can bend. He has no strength, but Osi didn't either.

And he's raw as a pass rusher, he'll get better and stronger in time.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:04 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I like Barr's length more honestly. I don't get all the Barr hate. The guy is fast, long and can bend. He has no strength, but Osi didn't either.

And he's raw as a pass rusher, he'll get better and stronger in time.
I see Aaron Maybin 2.0 in him. Not a fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:50 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

from the Orr Star Ledger

The Giants have reportedly met with G David Yankey (Stanford) and T Joel Bitonio (Nevada) at the combine

It also seems that T Zack Martin (Notre Dame) is close with former Notre Dame director of player personnel Tim McDonnell, who began his first season with the Giants as a pro scout this year.