Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 02-25-2014, 10:43 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
They seem like two very different CB's also. Dennard is probably the guy the Giants like more.
I like what Gilbert did today. Damn he did very well!
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:45 AM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think we're going to go CB round 1, the value just isn't really there. I'd rather look at guys like Kyle Fuller and Stanley Jean-Baptiste as 2nd & 3rd round options. I think we go offense round 1 in this draft.

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:52 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel like CB is a position where you don't go for value. You go for BPA when it comes to CB because it's hard finding cover guys and you want the best cover guys you can find.

But I agree that OL is probably the way we go in the draft, but we have options. Hopefully we can address some needs in free agency along the OL and that will give us more leverage to go BPA in the draft.

I feel like this is a draft that's so deep that you should just go BPA every round and call it a day. Afterall, we have a ton of needs. When you have so many needs, just go BPA, bc it's probably going to wind up addressing a need anyway.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:54 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Free Agency will be big too. We have some money to play around with and there is A LOT of O-Line free agents. Even just grabbing a quality starter who won't demand a boat load of cash somewhere along the line would be huge for us.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:56 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It really all depends on if we're willing to dump Baas and Snee though. If we keep those big contracts on the books and intend to start them...then we're screwed again.

I'm very interested to see what Reese does there. I think he'd be making a horrible mistake if he keeps either of them.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:59 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doubt we do. I think if it was Reese's call he'd dump them both like a sack of potatoes. I think the Mara's LOVE Couglin and until he's gone they will let him make a lot of the decisions, such as who stays and who goes. I think because Reese has never gotten to pick his coach that's caused some of our personnel issues, particularly with the O-Line.

And we all know what Coughlin will say and do about them. His loyalty, especially because it's his son in law, means we will probably never get rid of Snee unless he retires, haha.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:03 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

If we keep both, we have to at the very least, get a C and G in the draft. Because you can bet the house that Baas will get hurt during the season, so that rookie Center has a chance of grabbing the starting role there. And even if Snee comes back we need a G anyway so that gives us needed depth.

What hurts is if we keep both or either, it hurts our ability to go after FA OLmen because we already have money tied to the position. So our only option at that point is the draft, in which case we have to reach for OL talent bc we simply can't go into next season with the same group. We just can't.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:26 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
It really all depends on if we're willing to dump Baas and Snee though. If we keep those big contracts on the books and intend to start them...then we're screwed again.

I'm very interested to see what Reese does there. I think he'd be making a horrible mistake if he keeps either of them.
I have a sinking feeling we will keep both guys and go all in, in hopes of them being healthy and contributing. I think it's a bad move, but I can see Reese doing that. I don't think they want to rebuild, so this 1 year deal for TC means now, that everyone has a 2 year deal from Ben M to Fewell. So if the team stinks, then I can see everyone getting canned. Eli and TC fates are tied together, so a bad season could mean a big time change across the board.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:28 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Eli isn't going anywhere. He'll be qb of this team for at least 4 more years.

I'm interested in seeing what FA does for us. That will answer a lot of questions. Reese claims this roster will be very different this year, let's see if he backs that talk up.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:29 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
If we keep both, we have to at the very least, get a C and G in the draft. Because you can bet the house that Baas will get hurt during the season, so that rookie Center has a chance of grabbing the starting role there. And even if Snee comes back we need a G anyway so that gives us needed depth.

What hurts is if we keep both or either, it hurts our ability to go after FA OLmen because we already have money tied to the position. So our only option at that point is the draft, in which case we have to reach for OL talent bc we simply can't go into next season with the same group. We just can't.
Basically, I will be watching to see if we draft developmental, project pick guys who will be ready few years down the road. I think that philosophy is what screwed us. Factor in degradation of talent, age, and injuries and our raw guys had to contribute and stunk. I am still waiting for JJ and the JPP of TEs to contribute more. JJ flashed, but I need solid contribution now. If not, get rid of him.

We need guys who can step in and play. No more 2 years down the road business. This is a league where people play their guys and win now. That goes for Qbs too. No more wait a few years and learn the system.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:32 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Call me crazy but I think Robinson can have a big year next year. All of our young weapons will look good if we eliminate the choice routes. Robinson struggled with route running. He was great as a blocker but just never could understand his option route. If we eliminate that then I expect him to have a good season if he can stay healthy. My main concern with Robinson is health, I think if he stays healthy he'll have a good year.

Jernigan looked great when he didn't run option routes. Same with Randle. Not surprising to any of us really. So I'm being hopeful in that regards.

But if Coughlin forces McAdoo to keep the option routes then it's all for nothing. And in that case, when we falter again, Coughlin has to go at that point.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:32 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Eli isn't going anywhere. He'll be qb of this team for at least 4 more years.

I'm interested in seeing what FA does for us. That will answer a lot of questions. Reese claims this roster will be very different this year, let's see if he backs that talk up.
We will. If he stinks or situation around him stinks, I can see us not extending him. He isn't going to be cheap with Condon as an agent. We won't give him tons of money as he gets older.

That's the situation we are in. I think he stays, but he would need a new contract. That's the issue. If the HC gets fired, a new guy comes in. Then another system gets implemented, which is fine. But now you need him to re-learn another system. How much money would he cost?
Old 02-25-2014, 11:34 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think TC can even justify Snee at his current salary, even if hes on the team next year it will be at a greatly reduced price. Ideally at the minimum.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:35 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Call me crazy but I think Robinson can have a big year next year. All of our young weapons will look good if we eliminate the choice routes. Robinson struggled with route running. He was great as a blocker but just never could understand his option route. If we eliminate that then I expect him to have a good season if he can stay healthy. My main concern with Robinson is health, I think if he stays healthy he'll have a good year.

Jernigan looked great when he didn't run option routes. Same with Randle. Not surprising to any of us really. So I'm being hopeful in that regards.

But if Coughlin forces McAdoo to keep the option routes then it's all for nothing. And in that case, when we falter again, Coughlin has to go at that point.

I honestly will settle for getting on the field as step 1. Let's take it from there then. Expecting having a big year is a lot for me. First get on the field and play. Then, if you're play is at a high level, then very, very good. However, I won't rely on him.

Let's see what happens with RR and JJ in another system. They are the guys I am most interested in. JJ HAS to contribute at a high level. Anything less, after flashing, is a big time problem.

Ben M., according to TC, calls the plays and decisions end with BM. This is from TC's mouth. So nothing will get forced is what I gathered from TC himself.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:47 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Snee and Baas are on the team next year it won't be on the same salaries. I'll guarantee that.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:51 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
If Snee and Baas are on the team next year it won't be on the same salaries. I'll guarantee that.
They should not be on the team though. Salary is one component of the issue. The other is health. High salary and stinking is one thing. High salary and hurt on IR is two kicks in the nuts. At least play and be bad with a high salary over high salary and not playing. I don't want to risk our OL with 2 big question marks.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would bring them back as backups and at low salaries. If neither of those terms are met then jettison them.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:51 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dennard is Revis 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:58 PM    (permalink
Mike Maycock
Rookie

Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dennard has Revis qualities and Gilbert has Peterson qualities.
Mike Maycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Maycock View Post
Dennard has Revis qualities and Gilbert has Peterson qualities.
that is impressive
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:41 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can Aaron Donald play 4-3 LDE?

He has the speed and quickness. He is strong with 35 bench reps.

He has plenty of production with 181 tackles, 66.0 tfl and 29.5 sacks in 52 college games.

In fact the only real knock on him is his height (a shade under 6-1) and arm length (32 5/8"), but the kid can play.

I wonder if he is a legit option at 12? At the very worst we would have a genuinely disruptive 3 tech (ala Corey Simon and LaRoi Glover). But I suspect he might also be able to play LDE.

To put things into perspective, Compare Donald with JPP's combine performances. Pierre-Paul is widely considered a physical freak, but this is interesting:

Jason Pierre Paul combine results

Height - 6'5"
Weigh - 270lbs
40 dash - 4.71
20 dash - 2.69
10 dash - 1.65
Bench reps - 19
Vert - 30.5"
Broad - 9'7"
20 shuttle - 4.67
3 cone - 7.18

Aaron Donald combine results

Height - 6'1"
Weigh - 285lbs
40 dash - 4.68
20 dash - N/A
10 dash - 1.61
Bench reps - 35
Vert - 32"
Broad - 9'8"
20 shuttle - 4.67
3 cone - 7.11

Basically Donald is as athletic as JPP at the same point, 15lbs heavier, a lot stronger and much more polished and coming from a bigger school.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:45 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:

I think with Snee and Baas is a case of not cutting them until you can be sure of an upgrade. If Snee and Baas are healthy with reworked deals they are decent. But you can be sure they aren't going to be the entire solution.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:12 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I have struggled with the best options for us at 12

I think we will address Oline in free agency, and there hasn't been the standout player that I really like at 12. There is plenty of depth at a lot of positions.

One player I do like is Aaron Donald. I think he could be used as a LDE on running downs with Hankins and Joseph inside and sliding inside on passing downs.

The Giants have talked about using Jenkins at LDE and I think Patterson may have been listed there.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:27 PM    (permalink
Mike Maycock
Rookie

Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Donald's arm length is a problem at DE. He'll be at more of a disadvantage then he already is lined up at Dt. Donald is the best DT in this draft.
Mike Maycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:41 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Maycock View Post
Donald's arm length is a problem at DE. He'll be at more of a disadvantage then he already is lined up at Dt. Donald is the best DT in this draft.
I still like him as a DT option.

He can fits well into our system and can do a similar role to what guys like Melton and Atkins or if you go back a little further like Tommie Harris, LaRoi Glover, Corey Simon and Warren Sapp.