Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-28-2012, 01:11 PM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default I need help picking out a smartphone

My carrier is Sprint. I normally just get a cheap (free) phone when i renew my contract. But now the wife & i decided to enter into the 21st century & get smartphones. I have only really used the cell phone for texting, (crappy) picture mail, & ironically enough the occasional phone call.

Obviously i know nothing about the capabilities of smartphones & i think that it is safe to assume that many of you do.

Here is what i think that i want to choose from:

iphone 4S 16GB
HTC Evo 4G LTE
Sasung Galaxy S III 16 GB

I guess that i plan on using this mostly just for the standard phone use, web browsing for fanatsy football (& NFLDC, of course!), gps, games, & as a mp3/ipod (i already have a bunch of songs in itunes). I am sure that i will eventually discover apps which will open up other uses.

So, which model do you suggest i get? Am i missing something important to consider?

All input is appreciated.

Thanks
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:19 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am not well-versed in smartphones, but some prototype photos of the iPhone 5 have leaked, so if you end up going with an iPhone I'd wait a couple of months since the new one should be released pretty soon.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For texting/web browsing/games all of the phones you listed are fine. They are pretty basic functions and are dialed in on most good smartphones. I'd go to the store and play with all of the models and see what feels best.

If I had to make a recommendation, iPhone would probably be the best phone for you. It's the simplest to use and everything is pretty intuitive.....probably the easiest phone to make the transition with.

Last edited by Rob S : 07-28-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Rob S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:23 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My mom actually works for Sprint, so if you'd like I could give her a call and ask her what she thinks of those. Off the top of my head I think she's a fan of the Galaxy S3, and I think she hates the iphone, but I'd be more than happy to ask her.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:25 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Depends on your taste and what you want functionality wise. From what you are saying and planning on doing, iphone probably seems the best bet. If you were a more advance user or using it to its max, probably the galaxy.

Andriod is great, you have really no restrictions with the phone. Only bad part is, every 'android phone' has a different version/format OS, and then the carrier decided what features it wants, the phone maker decided what it wants, the phone decided what it wants and then google caters to it and puts its own standard stuff in it.

That's where with the iphone, from phone to phone to ipod, ipad everything is similar as for OS.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:27 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

most important test, put it in your pocket and grab for it really quick, see whats feels comfortable using it and not awkward, and something you won't drop, cracks suck.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:43 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've got stock in Apple and Facebook so go get an I-phone and spend all your time on Facebook.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:35 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Galaxy is probably the best thing going right now, but the LTE is really sweet. The screen is huge.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea, I'm not a big iPhone fan so I'd probably go with the S3 or the LTEVO.
That and they're both new than the 4S (The 5 is coming out soon, as stated already)
I have an EVO 3D right now and I love the phone.
The LTE network is really limited on Sprint so that shouldn't really input into your decision... unless you're in one of the limited markets.

I'm bias towards HTC, I guess so I'd probably go with the EVO.
Can't go wrong with any of them really though

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:53 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a owner of an iPhone: Get the Samsung Galaxy S III. I'm buying one later this year. It's just so much better in every single aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:11 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of those phones. I personally have an iPhone and love it. It's user friendly and it didn't take me too long to learn how to use it. (I had a flip phone before).

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:03 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I finally did the same and went from the old Razr flipphone to a iPhone 4S a a few months back and I like it. I don't have any complaints with it at the moment. If he want to save some money then wait until the 5th one comes out and then buy the 4S.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:34 AM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've worked in the cellular industry for years.

iPhone is the easiest phone to use for someone just starting with a smartphone. It continues to be one of (if not the most) reliable smartphone on the market. It has the largest selection of applications via their app store. Siri continues to be the most accurate and quickest voice "assistant" in North America. It's not as "beefy" as many androids with slower processors and smaller amounts of ram. However, the processor speed will be negligible and Apple does a good job not allowing you to multi-task so you won't really notice the lack of ram. The operating system runs much smoother and rarely freezes and requires 0 battery pulls (something many Androids can't say, also the battery is embedded).

Depending on how much you hate iTunes, you will be forced to use the program (my biggest gripe on the phone). It has an industry standard 8 megapixel camera and has good features outside of siri: mostly facetime (although skype does the same thing), iMessage (there's other free texting applications though), and iCloud (free 5gb cloud storage space). Sprint is also new to the iPhone and posting record losses because they overpaid for the device and their towers seem to be under stress with the phone. I've even heard rumors of Apple dropping Sprint but I doubt they have any legs.

Galaxy sIII would be the choice if you lived in Europe, but you have Sprint, so alas, you do not. Many of the features of the Galaxy SIII like the cover to pause video, movement of the phone from texting position to your face to auto dial, the no dimming of the screen with the retina scan, and screen shot capabilities don't seem to work on the North American version. On top of that, Europe received a quad core while we hear in NA have a dual core. The phone has great multitasking skills (2gb of memory in a phone) and a brilliant screen. It looks amazing. The camera is very impressive and the panoramic photos come out quite well. You can "bump" photos and other content to other sIII users without the use of wifi/data connection. S-voice is utter **** compared to Siri.

The sIII comes with a smaller app market than the iPhone but gives you tenfold the customizable options. You can get a free 50gb storage cloud (although it's mostly text documents only) and is running Ice Cream Sandwich out of the box (the newest released OS for Android) and will have capabilities to run Jellybean (a newer, soon to be released OS for Android).

Evo 4g LTE has some great features like Beats audio and a fantastic camera. The new evo is capable of taking 99 photos in a minute, taking photos while in live video mode, and able to take photos in a playback video mode (although at a slightly less megapixel rate). The camera is still a standard 8mp. The phone has a very nice and vibrate screen. The previous Evo had a lot of issues with the battery life and sub-par charging ports that always seemed to become loose. HTC is also known to use the most data per task than any other company but since your on Sprint with unlimited data, this shouldn't effect your decision any. The app market and reliance on google services is the same on the new Evo as it is with the galaxy s III.

The Evo 4g LTE is running Ice Cream Sandwich and HTC has announced that the one series will be getting Jellybean updates it's pretty safe to assume that the Evo will get it as well (based of the similarities of the phones).

Your monthly plan will be the same regardless of the phone. Insurance will be the only difference with Asurion (cellular insurance company that Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon use) insuring the android phones. I'm not 100% on the deductible, but it's going to be between $125-$199 and $8 on the monthly bill. The insurance will cover everything from expired manufacturers, accidental and lost & stolen (typically a police report will be needed). I know Best Buy has their own insurance through Geek Squad that is $10 monthly with no deductible and unlimited claims. Covers all the same stuff except the lost and stolen aspect.

The iPhone can't be insured through Sprint. It can be through Apple and Best Buy though. Apple is $100 for the 2 year contract up front, and $50 claims. They repair in store at Apple locations only and rarely the genius bar will replace for unfix-able issues caused by something outside of their control. Best Buy I know is the same as the coverage for android but they charge more at $15 monthly. I'm unsure if Sams Club, Radio Shack or others have their own form of insurance (although I'd bet they only sell the carrier insurance).

I use an iPhone for personal use and a Galaxy S III for work. The fact that you have a 1 year old phone still competing against some of the newest phones on the market just goes to show how good of a phone the 4s really is. While I have nothing against my Samsung and I'm far from an Apple fan boy, I will admit I prefer my iPhone. I would say wait for the 5 (I hear it's going to be called "the new iPhone") and it's being speculated that it's release will be October 5th (anniversary of Jobs' death). There are a few postings on the new iPhone's casing and new patents added that you can find on some popular tech websites.

If you have any specific questions for me, free free to post them and I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!

Last edited by j05son : 07-29-2012 at 12:38 AM.
j05son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:37 AM    (permalink
dolphinfan2k5
DC GFX Team
Veteran

dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
I've got stock in Facebook
Sucks to be you.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:47 AM    (permalink
asdf1223
Veteran

asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you are on Sprint, hold of getting an Iphone till 5 launches. You don't want to be stuck for 2 years with a phone that only does 3G especially Sprint's slow as hell version. They don't have their LTE network everywhere but they should have it in most of the cities by the year.

The Evo and Galaxy 3 both have 4G LTE so atleast you are reasonably future proof.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinfan2k5 View Post
Sucks to be you.
My wife says they should pay me just to not buy the stock.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:23 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

who has the best 4g network?

I always thought it was Sprint. I know Verizon has the largest area covered but not always greatest reception.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:28 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've heard from a few people that Verizon 4g is beyond awful but I've never been on their network so I don't know.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
who has the best 4g network?

I always thought it was Sprint. I know Verizon has the largest area covered but not always greatest reception.
We vacation in a couple of secluded places here in the Northwest and my wife who has T-mobile never gets reception. Those with Verizon always seem to.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:42 PM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've always found nationwide coverage to go:

1 Verizon
2 AT&T
3 Sprint
4 T Mobile

As far as Verizon's 4g LTE network, it's faster than my comcast high speed internet through Speed Test. I believe AT&T is faster (I know for sure their 3g was/is faster) but just not as widespread. Also no way will Sprint have 4G LTE in the majority of major cities by years end. They were ungodly slow at rolling out 4G and now their trying to save money with combining wimax and all their other **** components in LTE. Plus they're at like a 1.4 BILLION dollar loss since they brought out the iPhone including a 629 million loss in just this quarter.

Sprint's only called the now network because they're going to be bankrupt in a few more years...

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!
j05son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:34 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, as does njx. We both love it.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:07 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i also enjoy my galaxy nexus. I'd go with the s III

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:50 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by j05son View Post
Sprint's only called the now network because they're going to be bankrupt in a few more years...
lolwut? usrsbrah?

Old 07-30-2012, 12:15 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I have the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, as does njx. We both love it.
I'm also in that boat.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:07 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All I can say is I really love my Iphone. But my opinion is biased on the plans/caps we are offered in Australia.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote