Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:38 AM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default NYG-CAR Preview

Week 3 Thursday Night Showdown: Giants at Panthers

The Giants and Panthers are both coming off big wins, but know they can’t take their foot off the gas now. The Giants are struggling to regain their Super Bowl form, while the Panthers would love to make a statement in front of a national audience. The Giants seem to play better on the road than at home (both of their Super Bowl runs consisted of them playing primarily on the road throughout the playoffs), so it will be interesting to see if they can get some defensive intensity back in their first road game of the season.

Carolina Offense
The Panthers currently lead the league in yards per passing attempt, and they will be going against a secondary that has not looked strong thus far. The Giants will be hoping to get CB Prince Amukamara back from injury, which would certainly help matters. The big question is if the Giants’ pass-rushers can get back to playing at the level they were late last year. The Panthers’ offensive line has not looked great so far, and the Giants best chance of slowing down the Panther passing game is to harass Cam Newton enough to keep him from getting comfortable, which the Bucs did a good job of doing in their week 1 win over the Panthers. Newton is a great improviser, but with athletes like Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Tuck, and Osi Umenyiora on the defensive line, Newton may have a harder time than usual escaping pressure. Of course, the Giants will need to slow down the Panther run game before they can let their pass-rushers lose

New York Offense
The Giants may be without the services of running back Ahmad Bradshaw, which means they are likely going to rely heavily on their passing game. Carolina’s cornerbacks are going to have a very hard time matching up with Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz, so Eli Manning will likely keep going to his two favorite receivers. Chris Gamble will match up with one of them, but it’s unlikely Josh Norman or Captain Munnerlyn can handle the task of defending either, meaning a lot of safety help could be necessary. This could be a good week for one of the Giants’ reserve receivers to step up, as the Giants would probably prefer to force the Carolina defense into a nickel package and not have all their linebackers on the field. Carolina’s defense ranks 28th against the run right now, so the Giants would be wise to not abandon their ground game just because Manning threw for 500 yards last week. HB Andre Brown had a good game last week and this could be a great opportunity for him to earn a prominent role in the Giant offense.

Key Matchups

RT Byron Bell v DE Justin Tuck
Jason Pierre-Paul is one of the league’s most dynamic pass-rushers, and LT Jordan Gross will certainly have his hands full, but the real mismatch will be on the other side of the line. Justin Tuck has not had a strong start to the season, but he may be primed for a big game with Bell blocking him. If he can own the matchup, Tuck can be very disruptive against both the run and pass.

WR Steve Smith v CB Corey Webster
There’s no question who Cam Newton’s go-to guy is. Corey Webster, by far the Giants most veteran corner, will likely be dealt the difficult task of covering Smith. It’s hard to see Webster staying with him all game, but if he can prevent him from getting big plays downfield, he will have done a good job.

Final Word
At the end of the day, it seems Carolina’s offensive line and secondary will be overmatched by the Giants’ pass-rushers and receivers. The Giants used this formula to win the Super Bowl last year, and this is a great chance for them to get back on track. The Giants struggled against the Cowboys’ big receivers and Tony Romo’s ability to get rid of the ball quickly, but the Carolina offense is quite different. If the Giants can limit the Panther run game and stop them from getting into a good offensive rhythm, this will be their game to win.

SU Pick: Giants
ATS Pick: Giants -1
Eazy Picks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:41 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I got an infraction for some reason last time I responded to one of your threads. I'll refrain from posting the gif, but my thoughts are the same! :)

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:47 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Silly, Caddy!

I actually think the Panthers can win this one. I like Lafell and Smith to make some big plays and I hope the Panthers use Cam on the ground as much as they did last week. DeAngelo and Stewart need to combine for 25 carries, though.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:48 AM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol i didnt know they gave out infractions here.

all i can say is if my writeups dont interest you, you dont gotta read em. You hatin on me doesnt make any difference to me.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:49 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Silly, Caddy!

I actually think the Panthers can win this one. I like Lafell and Smith to make some big plays and I hope the Panthers use Cam on the ground as much as they did last week. DeAngelo and Stewart need to combine for 25 carries, though.
Apparently the s-word for doo doo isn't PG13.

On this game I think it could be exciting. I expect a shoot-out.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:49 AM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Quote:
Silly, Caddy!

I really think whether or not the Panthers can get their run game going will be what determines this game. Cam cant do it himself against that pass-rush, and I dont think the Panthers can expect their defense to carry them.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:53 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'm most afraid of Cammy Cam running. Webster's forte is shutting down the smaller WR's and has always had trouble against the VJax's and Dez's of the league (especially VJax in the past). We'll see what happens though, a win for the Giants would be HUGE with Philly next week too
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:58 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

after hearing the injury news, I think i might have to change my pick to carolina
Old 09-19-2012, 11:02 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Silly, Caddy!

Yes, I'm taking the Panthers in this one. I think Newton is going to shine.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote