Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 09-20-2012, 02:34 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default TJ McDonald.... FS or SS?

How do you think he projects in the NFL?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:41 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Better than Taylor Mays?
Old 09-20-2012, 05:54 PM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
Better than Taylor Mays?

Not by much. Dude is stiff as a board. I actually had a few good laughs watching him try to break down and tackle in space in the Syracuse game.

Can't intercept anything unless he just happens to be standing there and the ball is thrown right to him.

He's a free safety though.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:20 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In a nutshell, either. They play a zone there at SC with their safeties so it's hard to say if he would be a great cover guy but he's very instinctive and he can hit.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was rewatching that Stanford game and he showed up pretty dang good against the run. Didn't see the Syracuse game, but have seen him enough to know he's not a stiff. He's not a cornerback with swivel hips either... but I don't think he's as laughable as JHL thinks.

Mays was stiff... but I was sold on him because of his speed and hitting power. I thought it would overcompensate for his stiff hips, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:41 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I remember a few big, effective run stopping USC safeties who went on to fail miserably in the NFL. Darnell Bing, Taylor Mays...I see more fluidity in TJ McDonald then I did in those guys, but the pedigree isn't exactly stellar when dealing with those type of players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:56 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
I remember a few big, effective run stopping USC safeties who went on to fail miserably in the NFL. Darnell Bing, Taylor Mays...I see more fluidity in TJ McDonald then I did in those guys, but the pedigree isn't exactly stellar when dealing with those type of players.
Then with that logic, you must be a big fan of RayRay Armstrong. No?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:45 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Troy Polamalu turned out alright...
Old 09-21-2012, 02:26 AM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He actually is a bit stiff. Unlike Mays, his instincts and football I.Q. sort of mask it. He's opportunistic when it comes to playing the ball in the air, but you won't see him jumping routes or attacking the ball. Excellent in the box safety (see stanford).
Old 09-21-2012, 03:10 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVEHEART View Post
He actually is a bit stiff. Unlike Mays, his instincts and football I.Q. sort of mask it. He's opportunistic when it comes to playing the ball in the air, but you won't see him jumping routes or attacking the ball. Excellent in the box safety (see stanford).
Yeah that's why I created this thread. Got me wondering..

So what do you think? SS or FS?
Old 09-21-2012, 05:59 AM    (permalink
duesouth
Rookie

duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seems to take a few steps to get up to full speed - would expect a decent 40 time, but not a great 10 yard split. Struggles a bit changing directions - but he can get downhill and hit. Zone coverage seems to be quite popular in the NFL at the moment, so he might still go fairly high, but I don't know if he'd be great in man coverage.
duesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:26 AM    (permalink
Pontus
Rookie

Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's a flashy but versatile, FS in my book. He has the rare skill of being truly functional at both position - an interchangeable safety. This is something that, from what I understand, becomes more and more important to NFL decision makers. But of course, not having a clear is also a risk...

However, before he'll project as a true SS at the next level he could fill out his frame a bit and improve his tackling game. When he hits, he hits hard, but I think he is a bit sloppy sometimes - both being fooled into missing relatively easy tackles and commiting foul hits due to over-pursuing.

He's much better in coverage where he uses his electric speed-and-size combo, tremendous range and closing speed to dominate in zone and natural strength to cover TEs.

Do not really think he has that stiff hips to be honest - think he may be able to cover slot receivers at the next level after some practice. If I am forced to point out a true weakness in addition to his occasional over-aggressive style, I'd probably go with his below average ball skills. He'll never be a ball hawking FS due to his hands.
Pontus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:59 AM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontus View Post
He's a flashy but versatile, FS in my book. He has the rare skill of being truly functional at both position - an interchangeable safety. This is something that, from what I understand, becomes more and more important to NFL decision makers. But of course, not having a clear is also a risk...

However, before he'll project as a true SS at the next level he could fill out his frame a bit and improve his tackling game. When he hits, he hits hard, but I think he is a bit sloppy sometimes - both being fooled into missing relatively easy tackles and commiting foul hits due to over-pursuing.

He's much better in coverage where he uses his electric speed-and-size combo, tremendous range and closing speed to dominate in zone and natural strength to cover TEs.

Do not really think he has that stiff hips to be honest - think he may be able to cover slot receivers at the next level after some practice. If I am forced to point out a true weakness in addition to his occasional over-aggressive style, I'd probably go with his below average ball skills. He'll never be a ball hawking FS due to his hands.
I agree that he won't be a ball-hawk, but I wouldn't say his hands are the reason for that. He's rarely makes plays on the ball, but when he has his hand s on it, it's usually his.

Quote:
So what do you think? SS or FS?
SS for most.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:47 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's more fluid than Mays and Bing. With that being said I think that Mays was a better Center Fielder. Mays took away that deep middle of the field while he was in college mainly because his speed was so freakish he could make up with his speed. While TJ does take advantage while hes around the ball and gets his hands on it, his strength is when hes going against the run and gets to pin his ears back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:30 PM    (permalink
socentre44
Rookie

socentre44 is a cocksman.socentre44 is a cocksman.socentre44 is a cocksman.socentre44 is a cocksman.socentre44 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Bing and Mays got most of the pub but you could make an argument that Kevin Ellison was the best safety on the roster at SC. TJ has better instincts imo than Mays and Bing, and a much better family pedigree...it helps a lot when your dad is Tim McDonald and he's helping you break down tape every week.

That all said, I think the best safety prospect on USC's roster just might be LB Dion Bailey.
socentre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really think McDonald is capable of playing either free safety or strong safety at the next level. Not only a rangy athlete but also aggressive and physical. Gun to my head I guess I would say free safety but either way he's a much better football player than Taylor Mays is / was.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:17 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Either one. The rare true safety prospect.