Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:41 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate Philly.

I hate everything about Philly. They smell. They stink. They're dumb.

I just hate Philly.

**** Will Smith, **** Bill Cosby, **** Rocky, **** all of them.

**** Philadelphia.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:16 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-this-weekend/

This is exactly why the league doesn't feel any additional pressure to get something done with the refs. More eyeballs on the screen means more money in their pockets.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:21 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

In more completely unsurprising news, Bill Belichick will be fined:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...will-be-fined/
Old 09-26-2012, 09:55 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This one is too true

Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:06 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been watching that Joe Mays hit on Matt Schaub and I'm thinking the NFL was way too harsh on Mays. The hit wasn't late, he didn't drive Schaub to the ground, and he didn't even lead with the helmet. He didn't launch himself. It was just a really hard hit. Because he loses a game check from the suspension, he is losing nearl $270K. The hit was one of the hardest hit's I've ever seen, but it is nowhere near the most malicious, dangerous, or illegal I've ever seen. Hell, there were a few hits on the same day that were more against the rules in terms of leading with the helmet and launching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:09 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's my prediction:

Refs win every game, the end.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:30 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bring back Tagleabu
Old 09-26-2012, 10:31 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Progress!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...issue-remains/

Quote:
Albert Breer of NFL Network reports that the NFL and the NFL Referees Association have come to an agreement on the use of backup officials going forward. The league wanted to add 21 officials — three more full crews of seven officials — and have all of those backups ready to go in case a regular official’s performance was so bad that the NFL wanted to fire him. The NFLRA, as unions typically do, opposed that effort to make it easier to fire one of their members.

The compromise is that there will be 21 added officials, but they will be part of a developmental training program, and not considered part of the regular group of NFL officials who could step in immediately if the NFL wanted to fire an official for bad performance.
The pension issue, however, remains.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:34 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
I've been watching that Joe Mays hit on Matt Schaub and I'm thinking the NFL was way too harsh on Mays. The hit wasn't late, he didn't drive Schaub to the ground, and he didn't even lead with the helmet. He didn't launch himself. It was just a really hard hit. Because he loses a game check from the suspension, he is losing nearl $270K. The hit was one of the hardest hit's I've ever seen, but it is nowhere near the most malicious, dangerous, or illegal I've ever seen. Hell, there were a few hits on the same day that were more against the rules in terms of leading with the helmet and launching.
I agree 100%. I could maybe see a small fine but it wasn't a dirty hit.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:45 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Most full time employees don't have pensions yet a part time employee who already makes over 100k (most refs are lawyers) want a pension? That's the only thing I agree with the owners on.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:50 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Macklin View Post
Most full time employees don't have pensions yet a part time employee who already makes over 100k (most refs are lawyers) want a pension? That's the only thing I agree with the owners on.
Yeah, it's pretty asinine. Let's break this down:

- Being an NFL ref is a part time job on weekends for less than half the calendar year.

- The average ref makes about $155,000 per season

- They have zero in-season accountability as the only real punishment for being lousy is not being allowed to work post season games

- They get a pension of hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars
Old 09-26-2012, 10:52 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Macklin View Post
Yeah, the "big guy taking advantage of the little guy" angle doesn't work as well as it does with most labor strikes. This is the richest keeping away from other rich people. Maybe not all refs are high payed lawyers, but many are.

But they should be paid well. The job comes with tons of pressure and accountability. As we saw two nights ago, when you're determining the swing of 150M and it's on national TV, you should be paid pretty well. There's also that whole corruption and being paid off thing they need to avoid.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:56 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm with the league when it comes to the referee lockout.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:07 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
I'm with the league when it comes to the referee lockout.
I think they have some valid points but as a fan I don't care enough about that to be ok with these bull**** replacements. It's their money and their problems, I don't really care. I want football back. We've already basically wasted 3 weeks of the season, how many more weeks of football are we going to lose?

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:09 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I hate Philly.

I just hate Philly.

**** Philadelphia.
Just leave the cheesesteaks out of it and everything will be OK. That is where Philadelphians will cross the line, you might have pushed it with Rocky.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:09 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post
Yeah, the "big guy taking advantage of the little guy" angle doesn't work as well as it does with most labor strikes. This is the richest keeping away from other rich people. Maybe not all refs are high payed lawyers, but many are.

But they should be paid well. The job comes with tons of pressure and accountability. As we saw two nights ago, when you're determining the swing of 150M and it's on national TV, you should be paid pretty well. There's also that whole corruption and being paid off thing they need to avoid.
Granted, it comes with it's fair share of pressure. But there are full time professionals in the world who sometimes have the pressure of whether or not people die on their shoulders who get far, far less than that. So I'm not exactly sympathetic...
Old 09-26-2012, 11:36 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I hate Philly.

I just hate Philly.

**** Philadelphia.
This is basically how I feel about Oakland.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i like will smith and the fresh prince though.

I would suggest full time refs, but I'm not sure what they'd do during the offseason outside of training I guess or something. Hell, hire them as NFL lawyers since most are lawyers anyway. Full time NFL employees. Boom

#ScottyforCommish
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:50 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
i like will smith and the fresh prince though.

I would suggest full time refs, but I'm not sure what they'd do during the offseason outside of training I guess or something. Hell, hire them as NFL lawyers since most are lawyers anyway. Full time NFL employees. Boom

#ScottyforCommish
You can have them review tape, test them to an insane degree on the rules, send them off to team mini camps and things for additional reps and to help the teams understand the rules better...there's lots of stuff they could do.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:08 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

someone snaked ponder from me on waivers over big bens bye...im leaning towards starting SHAUN HILL
Old 09-26-2012, 12:10 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
someone snaked ponder from me on waivers over big bens bye...im leaning towards starting SHAUN HILL
Wait, did you just not have a backup QB to start with or did you really have an actual backup (Hill) on your team over an actual starter (Ponder) ???
Old 09-26-2012, 12:30 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ficials-close/

The officials and the NFL have "an agreement in principle" but nothing official yet.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:32 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Wait, did you just not have a backup QB to start with or did you really have an actual backup (Hill) on your team over an actual starter (Ponder) ???
i had tebow but i dropped him because i was really just hopeful he was gonna get a **** load of carries.

my team is loaded, but i did not have a backup to roethlisberger (#2 QB right now in fantasy)

I put in a claim for Ponder and Bradford but both were taken (downfall of being 3-0) so i picked up hill quick this morning just in case stafford cant go and if he does start ill be starting wilson, weeden, tannehill, or gabbert come sunday. I hope stafford cant go though, the guy im playing against has him and i have calvin.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:41 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Here's my prediction:

Refs win every game, the end.
By my count the refs are 0-45 so far.

J

Ad Super Bowl per Aspera
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote