Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 03:46 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post

The play-calling needs to improve and be more aggressive. And I dont know about others but im sick of seeing that power run crap
Then Harbaugh has to go. He has always been a conservative, power-running disciple of Bo Schembechler.

Execution needs to improve. But the emphasis on the pass game simply will NOT change under Harbaugh.

Quote:
I want to see more inside slants (they work almost every time in every game with every team)
You mean like the 3 inside slants that were ran to Crabtree and Walker? All 3 were dropped.

Quote:
The pass from Kaepernick to Moss was there
If being triple-covered is the definition of "there" then every single route EVER run by ANY receiver EVER, has been "there."
Old 10-01-2012, 04:18 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Thought you guys might find this interesting,

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/l...rank=098&year=

Third down conversions/passes on third down,

Alex Smith - 35.7%
Eli Manning - 34.2%
Can Newton - 36%
Tom Brady - 38.2%
Joe Flacco - 35.3%

*Blames 49ers third down problems on Alex Smith*

49ers are also bottom 10, 24th, in YAC, and tied for second in the league with 10 dropped passes. Give the 49ers the median YAC (360) and dropped passes (5) and Alex Smith's adjusted numbers would be,

81/113 (72%)
~900 yards
8.0 Y/A
5 TD
1 INT
106 QB rating
And this means what exactly? Because Brady and Eli are playing like crap on 3rd down, its ok for Alex to? I want better execution. From Alex to Roman, to the WRs....IT'S A 49ER ISSUE! I want the 49ers(all of them) to correct the problem because its been one for far too long. I could give two shits what Brady, Eli, or Flaaco are doing. No one is dumping the blame solely on Alex. But being the QB, he bares more of the burden. Nature of the position he plays. Every time someone says the slightest negative thing about Alex, you hop into the discussion with a bunch of raw numbers. Stats tell HALF of the tale. Anyone that has played any sport at a high level will tell you that. Sometimes you have to view things in the context in which they are transpiring. Saying Alex left some plays on the field Sunday doesn't mean everything is he's fault or that he's a awful QB. Please tell me your smarter than that.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 10-01-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:27 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And ppl are actually GLAD we threw into triple coverage to Moss just to say we did it? That's the most ass-backward logic I've seen from this fan-base in a long time. Especially considering CK missed a wide open guy underneath. If Alex would have threw up that wounded duck into triple coverage and it would have been picked, most would be talking **** about Alex's deep ball ability. How does throwing a ball into triple-coverage 'soften up' a defense other than them praying that you'll do it again?
Old 10-01-2012, 04:31 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
And this means what exactly? Because Brady and Eli are playing like crap on 3rd down, its ok for Alex to? I want better execution. From Alex to Roman, to the WRs....IT'S A 49ER ISSUE! I want the 49ers(all of them) to correct the problem because its been one for far too long. I could give two shits what Brady, Eli, or Flaaco are doing. No one is dumping the blame solely on Alex. But being the QB, he bares more of the burden. Nature of the position he plays. Every time someone says the slightest negative thing about Alex, you hop into the discussion with a bunch of raw numbers. Stats tell HALF of the tale. Anyone that has played any sport at a high level will tell you that. Sometimes you have to view things in the context in which they are transpiring. Saying Alex left some plays on the field Sunday doesn't mean everything is he's fault or that he's a awful QB. Please tell me your smarter than that.
I give Alex the blame he deserves, which has not been most of it this year. He obviously left a couple of plays on the field yesterday, he overthrew a wide open Crabtree for one, but he has not been the 49ers main problem on third down this year, he hasn't even been close to it.

But when the problems on third down, or with the offense in general, are brought up it is always on the passing game, particularly Alex Smith. People completely ignore that the running game is one of the worst in the league at converting on third down and short and that the receivers get almost no YAC and drop more passes per pass attempt than any other team in the NFL. The three dropped passes weren't even brought up until phylsac. His overthrow of Crabtree is mentioned tons but people ignore that Manningham not sticking to the sideline cost him a long gain.

It is always about Smith, though. Maybe not entirely on this board but even here he gets most of the blame when he clearly shouldn't. I don't like to see any player getting blamed for problems that aren't their fault.

I will be worried when Smith starts missing open receivers when the game is actually in jeopardy. Until then I am fine with having 110 passing yards at halftime but only finishing the game with 143 yards.

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 10-01-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:07 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And ppl are actually GLAD we threw into triple coverage to Moss just to say we did it? That's the most ass-backward logic I've seen from this fan-base in a long time. Especially considering CK missed a wide open guy underneath. If Alex would have threw up that wounded duck into triple coverage and it would have been picked, most would be talking **** about Alex's deep ball ability. How does throwing a ball into triple-coverage 'soften up' a defense other than them praying that you'll do it again?
I wouldn't. If it became a habit throwing into triple coverage, yes. But I'm glad to see the coaching staff actually try to have a play designed to go deep to a playmaker. We didn't have one last week.

And it's not just Moss. Manningham was open deep a few times and he was missed, but at least we tried to go deep. That's the important thing.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Thats not the point right now. If you think we can continue to have our starting QB throw for 143 yards and win games going away your crazy. Im not saying trade Alex for a QB in the top 4 in passing. I'm saying we need to fix what's obviously broke.
Well, we need to also consider the possibility that this might be the Alex will ever get and we'll just have to tolerate it. There is a reason why he only got a three year deal. He hasn't shown, and might never show, that ability to just dominate a team. A good team. Other areas can be improved like receivers catch the ball and the run game actually working which will help Alex.

Quote:
Old 10-01-2012, 05:24 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Honestly, it seemed like a designed shot play to Moss. If he was covered, I bet Kaep was told to run with the ball.

I don't know for sure. But just watching the play, that was my guess.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:29 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I give Alex the blame he deserves, which has not been most of it this year. He obviously left a couple of plays on the field yesterday, he overthrew a wide open Crabtree for one, but he has not been the 49ers main problem on third down this year, he hasn't even been close to it.

But when the problems on third down, or with the offense in general, are brought up it is always on the passing game, particularly Alex Smith. People completely ignore that the running game is one of the worst in the league at converting on third down and short and that the receivers get almost no YAC and drop more passes per pass attempt than any other team in the NFL. The three dropped passes weren't even brought up until phylsac. His overthrow of Crabtree is mentioned tons but people ignore that Manningham not sticking to the sideline cost him a long gain.

It is always about Smith, though. Maybe not entirely on this board but even here he gets most of the blame when he clearly shouldn't. I don't like to see any player getting blamed for problems that aren't their fault

I will be worried when Smith starts missing open receivers when the game is actually in jeopardy. Until then I am fine with having 110 passing yards at halftime but only finishing the game with 143 yards.
The game was in jeopardy though. That makes ZERO sense. The game was still close midway through the 3rd quarter. Two of those passes came in the first half when the game was far from over. Your talking about the season as a whole. Let's focus on yesterday. Yesterday, I saw 3 passes that should be huge gains that Alex failed to deliver accurate passes. Thats legitimate criticism. I don't know where this talk about MM should have stuck to the sidelines is coming from, but I saw a guy running parrell to the sidelines trying to locate a ball that was overthrown. That's all my argument is....yesterday he didn't perform up to the standards I think he can. He himself said post-game that he HAS to make those throws work.

Most of ppl I see arguing about the 3rd down are focusing on play-calling and in particular, the conservative nature of said play-calling. I've rarely see anyone arguing 3rd down or the passing game is Alex fault. Most ppl are harping on Harbaugh/Roman for not being more aggressive with the weapons we have. Now some Alex-haters might use that against him as a testament to their faith in him as a QB, but most just want Jimbaugh to put his foot on the gas a little more.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 10-01-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Running for 250 yards is so much fun.

Also, I'm going to be buying a few 9er jerseys soon and am contemplating on who to get.

For sure: Aldon Smith, Vernon Davis
Probable: Navorro Bowman
Questionable: Dashon Goldson, Kendall Hunter
Doubtful: Alex Smith
Never: Chilo Rachal, Replica Mike Nolan suit

Who would you guys go with?

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:34 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I wouldn't. If it became a habit throwing into triple coverage, yes. But I'm glad to see the coaching staff actually try to have a play designed to go deep to a playmaker. We didn't have one last week.

And it's not just Moss. Manningham was open deep a few times and he was missed, but at least we tried to go deep. That's the important thing.
My point is if that's all it takes to please us fans, we have some issues as fanbase. Alex could have been done that. Luckily, he actually like wants to complete a pass and move the chains as opposed to appeasing fans. Most of the time, its COVERAGE, not play-calling that determines whether the ball goes deep or not.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 10-01-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:37 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Also, I'm going to be buying a few 9er jerseys soon and am contemplating on who to get.

Meh, I'm never buying a player's jersey. Too much turnover. Only customize ones. Waiting for NFL Shop to get the 'away' customizables up and running.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:38 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Bruce Miller. Gonna be on the team for a while and the perfect 49er. Plus he is #49
Old 10-01-2012, 05:48 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Gonna be on the team for a while and the perfect 49er. Plus he is #49
Old 10-01-2012, 05:54 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Guess I should have mentioned I already have Willis. Although I don't have his Ole Miss jersey.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Meh, I'm never buying a player's jersey. Too much turnover. Only customize ones. Waiting for NFL Shop to get the 'away' customizables up and running.
Normally I'm the same way. I can't really get too into it online, but these jerseys are top quality and yet, super cheap. I got to see them in person at the home opener. I'll just leave it at that lol.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:45 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

My friend has a new Niner 'home' Wilis jersey. The Nike ones are really is much better quality than the Reebok ones. Only player jersey I want is 'a 94 throwback Rice 'home' jersey. But if you got the hook-up, by all means invest....
Old 10-01-2012, 07:28 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Am I the only person that thinks it's sad that people on here complain after a win more than after a loss? This is ridiculous. The Niners just scored their first road shut out since 2001 and all a couple people on here want to do is *****. I felt like the Niners won last week on here after the Vikings game.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Quote:
My friend has a new Niner 'home' Wilis jersey. The Nike ones are really is much better quality than the Reebok ones. Only player jersey I want is 'a 94 throwback Rice 'home' jersey. But if you got the hook-up, by all means invest....
Yeah I'm getting the Nike jersey. So much better quality.

I think they have the '94 Rice throwback lol.

The investment is practically nothing which is the only reason I'm doing it. I usually stay away from jerseys except for Willis and even then, I waited until he signed his extension. Honestly, if my friend hadn't successfully bought from them 3 previous times, I'd think it was a scam.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:45 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Did you guys hear Dallas playing "Tony Montana"? That's our damn song. Also, ... my ringtone.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:47 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
My point is if that's all it takes to please us fans, we have some issues as fanbase. Alex could have been done that. Luckily, he actually like wants to complete a pass and move the chains as opposed to appeasing fans. Most of the time, its COVERAGE, not play-calling that determines whether the ball goes deep or not.
Wait what? So Drew Brees and Tom Brady don't want to complete passes and move the chains when they throw the ball deep?

Wait what? So teams that throw the ball deep a good amount more than the 49ers means that they're going up against opponents that don't play tight coverage on the back end? Man the 49ers are really unlucky then. Perhaps the 49ers offense just isn't recognizing their big play opportunities and want to play it safe? No that wouldn't make sense at all.

There is nothing wrong with being critical of your passing offense as a fan that doesn't seem as explosive compared to other passing offenses around the league. You can be satisfied with mediocrity, but I won't stand for it.

This week was an improvement as the 49ers actually tried taking shots down the field compared the previous week against the Vikings. And it doesn't even have to do with just Randy Moss being on the team. 4 passes over twenty yards attempted coming into this week's game against the Jets, last in the league, strikes me as pedestrian. Sorry.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 10-01-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:59 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

By the way ever since the 49ers lost, I've noticed most media outlets have the Jets losing being a bigger story than the 49ers winning. Can't say I mind. I actually like it when the media doesn't talk too much about the franchise.

By the way when is Ahmad Brooks going to get recognized? EVERY time I hear a media head talk about the 49ers saying how great their linebackers are it's something along the lines of "This defensive group of linebackers will knock you around. Patrick Willis, Bowman, and Smith are all just monsters. And that secondary is..."

Brooks has been great this season so far. I haven't heard one shoutout though from the major media folks, when they actually do decide to talk about San Francisco.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 10-01-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:12 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Then Harbaugh has to go. He has always been a conservative, power-running disciple of Bo Schembechler.

Execution needs to improve. But the emphasis on the pass game simply will NOT change under Harbaugh.

You mean like the 3 inside slants that were ran to Crabtree and Walker? All 3 were dropped.

If being triple-covered is the definition of "there" then every single route EVER run by ANY receiver EVER, has been "there."
Being conservative will only get you so far. Eventually, you have to be aggressive here and there. Cant be conservative all the damn time. I like Harbaugh and is the best HC we've had since Seifert (yes, better than Mooch) but the one thing that killed Mooch was the lack of aggression. Harbaugh has to be more aggressive. Not every play but when the chances are there, take the shot down field.

I agree about the execution needing to improve but the play-calling needs to improve as well. I'm not looking for a Packers/Saints/Texans/Falcons/Giants passing attack but it has to improve from what it is. There will be games where we'll have to pass (like last week) in order to win and we wont those games if the passing attack doesnt improve. Cant win every game depending on the running game, defense and special teams. Must start having some offense.

There should be MORE inside slants but NOT to Walker. Seriously, come on. Crabtree, Manningham and Williams should be getting the inside slant plays. Not Walker. UGH.

Moss was triple covered and STILL had a chance to catch the ball. I dont want to see Smith/Kaepernick throw into triple coverage all the time but a shot here and there to Moss is okay by me because even if it gets picked, its all the way on the other side of the field so its worth the shot. Have to take some shots down the field or the passing (and running game) will never open up.

Everyone here says that we lost in the NFCCG because of the two fumbles by Williams but thats not why - its because we had no ******* passing offense whatsoever. If we did, we would have blown the Giants out.

Look at the teams that have won the SB in the last decade -

Giants
Packers
Saints
Steelers
Giants
Colts
Steelers
Patriots
Patriots
Buccaneers

If you subtract the passing attack from the SB winners, I would say that they all lose except for the Buccaneers and the Giants in 2007 even though it was Eli who won them both games. People always say defense wins championships but thats such crap because except for the 2000 Ravens and 2002 Buccaneers, its always been offense.

We have the defense, special teams and running game. If we can get our passing game to be at least respected by defenses, then we'll be a complete team and able to win every game in every/any way.

I dont think thats asking too much.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
By the way ever since the 49ers lost, I've noticed most media outlets have the Jets losing being a bigger story than the 49ers winning. Can't say I mind. I actually like it when the media doesn't talk too much about the franchise.

By the way when is Ahmad Brooks going to get recognized? EVERY time I hear a media head talk about the 49ers saying how great their linebackers are it's something along the lines of "This defensive group of linebackers will knock you around. Patrick Willis, Bowman, and Smith are all just monsters. And that secondary is..."

Brooks has been great this season so far. I haven't heard one shoutout though from the major media folks, when they actually do decide to talk about San Francisco.
Is Brooks a Pro Bowler?

Is Brooks a All-Pro?

Is Brooks statistically, a dominant player?

That's why Brooks doesn't get mention. Same way Ice doesn't get mention. Same way Ray Mac doesn't get mention. Just like no one mentioned the stellar performance of RJF Sunday. When you play on a defense full of Pro Bowlers and All-Pros your going to get overlooked, no matter how good you are. Brooks has gotten his props. FO and PFF had nice write-ups about his play during the off-season as one of the catalyst as to why our defense took off. But the sports analyst and ESPN are rarely going to mention his or anybody else's name who isn't Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Willis, Bowman, Goldson, Rogers, or Whitner.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:32 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Wait what? So Drew Brees and Tom Brady don't want to complete passes and move the chains when they throw the ball deep?

Wait what? So teams that throw the ball deep a good amount more than the 49ers means that they're going up against opponents that don't play tight coverage on the back end? Man the 49ers are really unlucky then. Perhaps the 49ers offense just isn't recognizing their big play opportunities and want to play it safe? No that wouldn't make sense at all.

There is nothing wrong with being critical of your passing offense as a fan that doesn't seem as explosive compared to other passing offenses around the league. You can be satisfied with mediocrity, but I won't stand for it.

This week was an improvement as the 49ers actually tried taking shots down the field compared the previous week against the Vikings. And it doesn't even have to do with just Randy Moss being on the team. 4 passes over twenty yards attempted coming into this week's game against the Jets, last in the league, strikes me as pedestrian. Sorry.
And I guess us and the Saints share the same offensively philosophy as well right? Or maybe you don't see Brees throwing into double-coverage often and getting burned for it. Then again, he has a mis-match in Graham who can physically bail him out bad decisions. Moss isn't that kind of mis-match anymore. I don't understand why anyone believes throwing the ball into triple coverage to guy that is a shell of his former self is something positive. If Megatron was a Niner, I could totally see your point. Physical specimen in his prime....absolutely, lofts some balls up and watch CJ go grab a few. But Moss is not that. Not even a fifth of that. Or did you forget we signed him for mere peanuts after he sat out a entire year. Put on the tape of Moss's last season in NE and watch him run routes now. He's not that guy anymore.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:10 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
And I guess us and the Saints share the same offensively philosophy as well right? Or maybe you don't see Brees throwing into double-coverage often and getting burned for it.
No, I did see Brees win a Super Bowl in 2010 though.

Brees has Graham. Alex has Vernon who can take short passes and turn them into long gains. What is your point? God-forbid good quarterbacks having playmakers. Brees has also been productive before Graham was around and after he had left the Chargers with Gates there.

Let's not forget that due to the Saints and their garbage defense, Brees is having to play catch up in every game now. Not surprising that he is committing more turnovers than usual trying to carry his team.

And no, the Saints don't have the same offensive philosophy as we do. The Saints are also a much better offense than San Francisco because of their philosophy.

Quote:
Closed Thread