Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 03-22-2013, 06:53 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Updating the order of needs for this team heading into the draft

1. DE
2. RB
3. OT (specifically left tackle)
4. S
5. WR
6. Interior OL depth
Do you think our ILB'ers are good? And do you think Bishop & DJ Smith will both be back to full strength by the season? I'm hearing they along with Sherrod, still have a long and unsure road back. Just like Quarless. Damn injuries.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:07 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Do you think our ILB'ers are good? And do you think Bishop & DJ Smith will both be back to full strength by the season? I'm hearing they along with Sherrod, still have a long and unsure road back. Just like Quarless. Damn injuries.
Jones is a good coverage backer and Hawk is an adequate starter if we're forced to start the season with them inside. I'd have to think that Bishop and/or Smith will be healthy when the season starts and Francois and Manning are developmental players behind them so I don't see an early round investment after how the team has handled the position to this point.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:27 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Scott has us taking Menelik Watson in his latest 1st rd mock. Seems like a reach. but at least it isn't Eifert or Lacy. Eifert wouldn't be horrible as he is a really good football player, however, this TE class seems deep and I think there is better value later.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:31 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG6376 View Post
Scott has us taking Menelik Watson in his latest 1st rd mock. Seems like a reach. but at least it isn't Eifert or Lacy. Eifert wouldn't be horrible as he is a really good football player, however, this TE class seems deep and I think there is better value later.
I feel Watson is a reach as well, but I can understand the left tackle projection. I would much prefer a late round, developmental tackle like Nick Becton (Virginia Tech).

Old 03-22-2013, 08:47 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I feel Watson is a reach as well, but I can understand the left tackle projection. I would much prefer a late round, developmental tackle like Nick Becton (Virginia Tech).
Yeah factoring in Newhouse's mediocrity, Sherrod's uncertainty, and McCarthy's comments on needing improved play from the left side of the offensive line it will probably be addressed at some point. Just feel that Menelik or another developmental OT can be gotten later.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:41 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All signs point to me at Margus Hunt.
Teddy drafts them based on his evaluation of their upside, what they can be in the NFL, along with a heavy emphasis on character.
Hunt passes those tests, and it's a position we could use some help at.

McCarthy also hinted that Jones would be re-signed in his answer about Bishop and Smith.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:12 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
All signs point to me at Margus Hunt.
Teddy drafts them based on his evaluation of their upside, what they can be in the NFL, along with a heavy emphasis on character.
Hunt passes those tests, and it's a position we could use some help at.

McCarthy also hinted that Jones would be re-signed in his answer about Bishop and Smith.
If Margus Hunt is our selection I will send the remote through the TV. He is the classic 'look like Tarzan play like Jane' prospect, and he's already considerably older than the average prospect.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If Margus Hunt is our selection I will send the remote through the TV. He is the classic 'look like Tarzan play like Jane' prospect, and he's already considerably older than the average prospect.
This. Hunt lacks any fluidity or leverage in his game; so yeah, his brute strength and straight line speed will get him sacks in conference USA but will be utterly negated by NFL technicians at OLine. All you have to do is point him in a direction and you can wash him out of a play; or you just battle him at the line for a quarter or two and he'll just stand there because he's tired.

I was high on him at first but the more I watched, the less I liked.

I'm also getting higher on the thought of Eifert. He's really a bit underrated. Very good athlete, very good size, fantastic hands and body control, extremely productive. Willing to run block. One of the few ND guys that showed up against Alabama. High character.

Really, I'd love to see us draft him to use with Finley for a year and then cut Finley.

I'm not really in love with any of the 3-4 DEs or NTs in the first. Blah. I'd rather wait for what I think is equal talent in the 2nd.

Also do not like Elam. I love his game but I don't want to see us get smaller in the secondary. I do think Cyprien is fantastic, though.

I really would hate an OT in the first, unless Lane Johnson dropped to us. I think below him are all projects.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:02 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

If TT drafts Cyprien in the first round I'll be thrilled, but I don't see him doing so given the front office and coaching staff's love for Morgan Burnett.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:04 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
If Margus Hunt is our selection I will send the remote through the TV.
THAT was exactly what I did in 1998 when Randy Moss made it to our pick..... and Wolf chose.... Von Holliday instead.
Sure Vonnie had a nice career, longevity, had some fine moments.

I like Cypien, but I think that McCarthy likes McMillian a lot, and we know they love Burnett.

Quote:
The Green Bay Packers may never replace Nick Collins. They miss the three-time Pro Bowl safety terribly, even though coach Mike McCarthy believes that there is young talent at the position with Morgan Burnett and M.D. Jennings, Jerron McMillian and Sean Richardson.

A 2005 second-round pick out of Bethune-Cookman in general manager Ted Thompson’s first draft, Collins suffered what has turned out to be a career-ending neck injury in Week 2 of the 2011 season. The Packers eventually had to release him because he wanted to continue his football career against the Green Bay doctors’ advice, but he has yet to find a team willing to clear him and sign him. It’s unclear whether he’s officially given up hope of playing again.

"Nick’s a great player,” McCarthy said during Wednesday morning’s NFC coaches breakfast at the NFL Meetings at the Arizona Biltmore hotel. “That’s one (where), I don’t think Ted will ever get over that one. You’re talking about a guy that was probably in the middle of a Hall of Fame career. That’s one we talk about quite often, but hey, have you have to move on.”

The Packers have gotten inconsistent safety play ever since from Burnett, a 2010 third-round pick who has flashed his potential; Charlie Peprah, who started for an injured Burnett in 2010 and for Collins in 2011 before his release last summer; and Jennings, McMillian and Richardson after veteran Charles Woodson converted to safety from cornerback but missed nine games with a broken collarbone.

“I really like Morgan Burnett. I feel like he’s going to take a big step this year,” McCarthy said Wednesday. “Morgan does everything that you ask, he’s got to start cashing in on the opportunities he has around the ball. I thought he did an excellent job when Charles went down with his injury playing down around the line of scrimmage. I thought Morgan was extremely disciplined and productive down there.

“I feel very good about Morgan back there, and I like our young guys. McMillian, he’s here everyday. He’s been back for quite some time. He’s in there working out. M.D. Jennings, he needs to grow. He made some strides. Sean Richardson’s back and hopefully he can get healthy. We’ve got some really good young guys.”
Old 03-24-2013, 01:10 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
NFL Network's Bucky Brooks suggests that LSU S Eric Reid could be a target for the Packers in the late first-round.
This is a big hell no for me. Reid is one of the more overrated players in this draft and he shouldn't draw consideration until round three at the earliest.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:22 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with you on Reid. There are quite a few safeties better than him in this class.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:32 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
This is a big hell no for me. Reid is one of the more overrated players in this draft and he shouldn't draw consideration until round three at the earliest.
Is Brooks not a former Packer DB, who perhaps was on our Super Bowl roster back in the 90's?

What does he know that we don't know?
I guess different opinions of what it takes to play the position in the NFL..... I'm in between on Reid. I think he has the ability to be solid if not spectacular.... but he's Reid not Reed for a reason: He's no Ed.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:43 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Is Brooks not a former Packer DB, who perhaps was on our Super Bowl roster back in the 90's?

What does he know that we don't know?
I guess different opinions of what it takes to play the position in the NFL..... I'm in between on Reid. I think he has the ability to be solid if not spectacular.... but he's Reid not Reed for a reason: He's no Ed.
I've watched plenty of LSU games, and I have never sat there and thought, gosh this Reid guy has a chance to be a difference maker at the next level. Does Reid have the measurables of a top tier safety? Yes but we're looking for football players not just athletes.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:26 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Scott added a second round to his most recent mock and gave the Packers Montee Ball. While I like Ball, there seem to be better values not only at running back but at other positions as well.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:15 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
I've watched plenty of LSU games, and I have never sat there and thought, gosh this Reid guy has a chance to be a difference maker at the next level. Does Reid have the measurables of a top tier safety? Yes but we're looking for football players not just athletes.
I would hate Ball in the 2nd round. I don't really want ANY RB that high considering how often they go down & out for us. But since our #1 & #2 picks last year, both on defense, went down and out, I guess it doesn't matter the position. I don't see anything special from Montee though.

Regarding Eric Reid, and your and Brooks' assessment of him, I thought I'd pass along some other opinions of him. Here from NFL.com:

Potential "Perennial Pro Bowl safety"

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap20...pro-comparison

Quote:
6'1" Height
33 5/8" Arm Length
213LBS. Weight
10" Hands
40.5 Inch Vertical
4.53 Forty

Strengths

Tall, long safety with a solid overall build that is still getting stronger. All-around defender who can play the run and pass. Flashes excellent closing speed, pummels receivers after the catch when coming downhill and can get into the backfield if smelling out the play after the snap. Has length and attitude to wrap up ballcarriers in the open field. Brings power into cut tackles, lowering his shoulder to stop running backs cold. Also lays the wood over the middle, putting a shoulder into their midsection. Gets physical with receivers attempting to block him in the run game. Has athleticism to handle tight ends in the passing game. Possesses the height, vertical and competitive nature to win jump balls. Good enough hands to take advantage of poor throws, will undercut receivers and can catch the ball away from his frame.

Weaknesses
Gets overaggressive at times; will jump on short crossers, opening up the back half of the field, and overrun stretch plays to allow cutback lanes. Not a consistently powerful tackler, and will lunge and miss in the open field as he often fails to break down quickly. Recovery speed will be questioned, might be tough for him to catch NFL receivers if he takes a false step or in the aid of a teammate. Had shoulder surgery after his junior season in high school, though it hasn’t hurt him in college.

NFL Comparison
Mark Barron (#7 overall pick last year)

Bottom Line
The next SEC safety on which scouts have their eye, Reid brings the size, athleticism, intelligence and toughness to become an impact player in coverage (14 passes defended in the last two seasons) as well as against the run (91 total tackles) at the next level. The junior can get too overaggressive with his angles, but if Reid can rein in the athleticism, he has plenty of range to make plays all over the field.
Here's a cool article about Reid, makes him seem more likely as our pick should he still be there at 26, which I suspect he will not: http://www.wafb.com/story/18862944/eric-reid
Old 03-25-2013, 01:20 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
This. Hunt lacks any fluidity or leverage in his game; so yeah, his brute strength and straight line speed will get him sacks in conference USA but will be utterly negated by NFL technicians at OLine. All you have to do is point him in a direction and you can wash him out of a play; or you just battle him at the line for a quarter or two and he'll just stand there because he's tired.

I was high on him at first but the more I watched, the less I liked.
I fully agree. I have watched alot of SMU games and have been pulling for him to do well for the last 3 years, but he really doesn't seem to get any better. He is extremely inconsistent. Occasionally he blows up a play and looks like a man among boys, but these plays are few and far between and suggest that they happen when he has "a lucky guess." He is very good on special teams and will block some kicks for whoever gets him.

I have no idea what kind of hands he has, but a couple of times I have thought that he could be a better fit as an inline blocking TE.

It has been suggested that he could go as high as the late 1st round, but I don't see him being deserving of anything higher than a 4th-5th round grade.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:24 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Thompson often targets players who will be able to fill holes created by the following year's free agents. Here's a look at guys entering their final year:

TE Jermichael Finley
DL Ryan Pickett
WR James Jones
LB Clay Matthews (obviously we're gonna give him an extension)
CB Sam Shields
FB John Kuhn
LT Marshall Newhouse
TE Andrew Quarless
C Evan Dietrich-Smith
S Morgan Burnett
DE Mike Neal
DE CJ Wilson
LB Robert Francois
RB James Starks

Considering that list, the 2014 season, it's safe to assume we're going to have quite a bit of turnover with the roster because we can't afford to keep everyone. I believe with this year's draft we're going to continue to invest early round picks on the defensive line, use a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a wide receiver, and use our later round picks on developmental players along the offensive line and secondary.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:39 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

from that list, Clay, Shields and Burnett are the locks to get extensions IMO. If Neal stays healthy and builds off of some of the things he did last year, I'd expect them to bring him back at a pretty modest rate, Wilson to since he IS solid vs the run so he has his value

I don't expect Pickett back, just going by how this team operates. Wrong side of 30...best to let them go a year early rather than a year too late

with Raji due an extension and really sort of questionable whether he deserves one or not, I'm in agreement that I see them going DLine early in the draft.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:48 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
from that list, Clay, Shields and Burnett are the locks to get extensions IMO.
Agree... also James Jones & Mike Neal are likely. But if Jones has another great year, he might price himself out of our budget.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:51 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Agree... also James Jones & Mike Neal are likely. But if Jones has another great year, he might price himself out of our budget.
I wouldn't consider Jones likely for an extension after next season because Nelson and Cobb will be looking for new deals as well.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:56 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, Jones could very well be gone next season. He's obviously behind Nelson and Cobb, if he has another big year he could be too expensive to keep long term as a #3 receiver. We could look for one in this years draft and hopefully Jarrett Boykin will come along nicely.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:36 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Justin Pugh is a player who gets criticism for not having the ideal arm length for the tackle position, but when you watch Syracuse tape he is so exceptional. Scott mocked us Menelik Watson in the first, but if we were to go OT I would prefer to take a chance on the guy who may not have the ideal measurables but was dominant in games.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:04 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
I hate to burst your bubble on another prospect, J-Mike, but I don't see Arthur Brown being available when we pick. He could go as high as Pittsburgh at 17 and he'd be a nice fit at OLB for Cincinnati at 21.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...und-mock-draft

Todd McShay just put out his new 2-round mock yesterday, and he doesn't even have Brown anywhere thru 2 rounds. Apparently the scouts he's talked to aren't nearly as high on him as you and I are.
Quote:
If we look defensive line for round one, Sylvester Williams and Jesse Williams are probably the most likely choices. Jesse being able to play the nose or five technique will be attractive to teams like us.
In the same mock from McShay, he has Sylvester going #22 to the Rams, and Jesse #57 to Houston. #56 pick is another DT Williams, Brandon Williams from MO Southern.

McShay has us, like Kiper, taking project OT Menelik Watson, which I would not love.
He does have us taking DJ Swearinger in Rd 2. He has Jon Cyprien going 6 picks AFTER that, scooped up by the 49ers.

TM has John Jenkins going 31 to the 49ers, and says this about Jenkins:
Analysis: I've become a big fan of Jenkins during film study. He was a little heavy in 2012, but even at 350-plus pounds he moved better than expected, played with a nonstop motor and got more involved in backside pursuit than a lot of 250-pound defensive ends I studied. I'll bet on a guy like that any day. Jenkins has also shed some weight during the draft process, and many feel he is maturing and coming into his own after a tough upbringing. He's not the space-eater his size would seem to indicate, but he can play nose tackle or end in the 49ers' 3-4 scheme and add to the problems their defensive front can create.

As for Justin Pugh, he has him going 29 to the Patriots, and moved to guard because of his short stubby little arms. He seems to like him though:
Analysis: The Patriots have needs at receiver and cornerback, but they have struggled to find good fits there in recent years and might not find quality options at this spot, either. New England has a much better track record up front, though, and Pugh is more NFL-ready than Watson at this point. His shorter arms mean he'll have to move inside to guard, but that should be just fine with the Patriots. They could stand to bolster that area, and Pugh is somewhat of an overlooked talent because of an injury that limited him early in the season.

Last edited by J-Mike88 : 03-29-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:36 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Kiper and McShay hear a lot from NFL teams, and I have to wonder how much teams are just feeding them BS so they turn around and start spreading word that a certain prospect is drawing a ton of interest or that a prospect is not nearly as high on some boards as others are projecting. In a draft where there's not a ton of disparity between those going in the top 10 and those going in the middle of round two, it's a difficult draft to project.