Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 07-18-2013, 08:44 AM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Training Camp thread

There is a lot of optomism going into this season. I was optomistic last year, but the team never got its collective can off the bench. Do we have reason to be more confident this time around?

Training camp stories:

Branden Albert - Will he play, where will he play, how well will he play?

Running Back - After JC, there are no givens. Lots to find out here.

Wide Receiver - see Running Back

Defensive Line - Poe and Jackson's are given, but will Poe paly NT or DE? Who else will be getting significant snaps? What is the nickel package?

Inside LB - Obviously we do not have a returning starter. How will all the drama effect this season's group? Who will play beside DJ? Who will play Nickel? What is the short yardage package for the whole unit?

Secondary - We ahve four starters. Will anyone push Kendrick Lewis? Will there be dram between the two new veteran CB?

Generally - There were a lot of things not to like about Haley, but he could get effort out of his team. Last year we had none. Will that hang over? Reid seems to be able to find pieces and make strategic adjustments, but is an aweful game coach. How will that work? New faces and new schemes alwaays raise issues. Will this be one of those teams that hits the ground running, or one that takes time to adjust?

J

Ad Super Bowl per Aspera
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:46 PM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If job one was finding a quarterback (don't get me started, right now I'm just hoping for the best) then job two is convincing this team that they can win (and they WILL win). Last year, they were a beaten team before they took the field. As soon as anything bad happened they were ready to collapse like a house of cards. I have to blame Romeo for a lot of that. When I heard him say "we have to be perfect to win" I knew we were doomed because the team heard that as "nobody is perfect, therefore we can't win."

If they don't hit the ground running, this could be another long year.
TheMatriculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:20 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've heard good things about Knile Davis, Travis Kelce, and my boy Tyler Bray. Eric Fisher has struggled, but it's his first camp.

Of course everyone is raving about Dex and Baldwin, but until I see it when the lights are on I'm ignoring it.

Alex Smith has looked okay.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:31 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know this is such a longshot but I am really interested to see if Bray materializes into anything under Reid's tutelage. From a physical standpoint he may be the most talented passer Reid has ever coached.

Pretty sure Stanzi doesn't make the team which makes me sad :(
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:36 AM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bowe is out for a few days, so Baldwin is the main man. He is reportede to be doing much better with his cuts and separation. I never get excited when everyone goes gaga over an early draft picks athleticism. That should be given. Praising his technique is another matter.

Albert is also reported to be looking much better.

J

Ad Super Bowl per Aspera
Old 07-31-2013, 03:16 PM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love training camp but...

http://youtu.be/d29VsG35DQM

Let the games begin.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:21 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hopefully Poe's early dominance is more an indicator of a breakout year than an indictment on the interior offensive line.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:37 AM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagewarrior View Post
Hopefully Poe's early dominance is more an indicator of a breakout year than an indictment on the interior offensive line.
Everything I have seen says that Poe is freaky fast for an interior guy. Plus he weighs 330 with the strength to match. Ones he learns anchor technique, they wont be able to run at him or away from him.

J

Ad Super Bowl per Aspera
Old 08-06-2013, 12:08 PM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I've heard good things about Knile Davis, Travis Kelce, and my boy Tyler Bray. Eric Fisher has struggled, but it's his first camp.

Of course everyone is raving about Dex and Baldwin, but until I see it when the lights are on I'm ignoring it.

Alex Smith has looked okay.
There have been several people raving about Tyler Bray in the various media outlets in KC. I was a big fan of his long before the draft and I'm pulling for him now as I think he has far more raw gifts than any of the other QBs in camp (if he can get it mentally and mature). I'll be curious to see how he develops. He'll be one I'll be watching closely through out camp and the pre-season.
KaneMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:06 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If it's between Stanzi and Bray, it's gotta be Bray 10 times out of 10.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:52 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First preseason game, yes, but I have some thoughts.

The ones looked good. Alex Smith is a breath of fresh air after the last many years of horrid QB play. Chase Daniel was the least impressive of all the QBs today while I thought Stanzi actually showed some moxie standing in the pocket. Could be that Reid has elevated his game? Bray's arm stands out, by far the best throwing talent of the group.

Poe looks well on his way to proving me wrong about him. He looks huge, powerful, and athletic and was actually showing a ton of hand usage against the Saints OL. If he turns into a stud that would elevate the Chiefs defense into elite status, IMO.

We didn't really get to see much out of the receivers, partly because of gameplanning - not that there is any of that right now - and mostly because the reserves pass protection was terrible. Rico Richardson obviously caught some attention and he seems to fit the Andy Reid Philly style receiver.

Speaking of young guys, there's a lot of undrafted guys on defense who helped themselves. The linebackers Ridge Wilson, Josh Martin and Darin Drakeford flashed a few times. I loved seeing Rob Lohr sprinting downfield and finishing a tackle on a receiver. That hustle shows up on film.

I felt bad for Vince Agnew but he just doesn't have the hips to play corner or the size to play safety. He got exposed, badly. Neiko Thorpe looked good on his few chances. Bradley McDougald was always around the ball. On offense, Kelce and Harris - especially Harris - must catch the football when they get an opportunity. The QBs were pretty on target for the most part, lots of passes bouncing off hands.

I think we should be encouraged. Huge improvement from last year.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:08 PM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

everyone knows this is a QB driven league. 2010 was only capable because Cassel played WAY above his head. this version of the Chiefs is no different from any other. if Smith can play good QB for this team, almost anything is possible. if he plays mediocre, we can look forward to 8-8ish and if he turns into Cassel 2.0 then we know that we will have another top 3 pick to solve the QB situation (again). this defense and offensive supporting cast are more than talented enough to win games in the NFL. if Reid puts Smith in good situations and has really good game plans, we will see wins.
King Carls 5 Year Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:53 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Jamaal Charles was just carted off the field with an apparent leg injury. They don't think it's serious I guess, and he was riding in the front of the cart, not the back.. but still. Ugh.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:49 AM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

I just saw a post from Matt Miller of Bleacher Report (among other things) that said:

My #Chiefs source says they don't think issue with Jamaal Charles is serious, but rather precautionary.

Let's hope so.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

Quote:
Jamaal Charles has been diagnosed with a strained foot after X-rays came back negative.

Charles might still require an MRI, but it appears the Cheifs have dodged a bullet. That being said, we'd expect Charles to miss at least a few days of practice, and to be inactive for Friday's preseason game against the 49ers.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:30 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I don't want him back in a preseason game. Let him rest and heal up so he's ready for week 1, when it matters. Charles will do what Charles does when the lights come on.. as far as I'm concerned he has nothing to prove.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:24 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Well it could be worse than the Chiefs were letting on.. so, start the panic I guess!

Old 08-12-2013, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't want him back in a preseason game.
Agreed. They have nothing but question marks behind him, let them take the reps.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:26 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Well, our SP teams is going to be pretty good...

Last edited by Splat : 08-17-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:45 PM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
Well, are SP teams is going to be pretty good...
As Marv Levy was fond of saying, "Offense sells tickets, defense wins games and special teams win championships."

Well, our starting offense looked pretty good against the 32nd ranked (last year) defense in the league and not so good against the 3rd ranked defense. Considering how we played last year, moving up to mediocre will be a vast improvement. Did anyone think this was going to be easy?

I'm a little surprised at how good the defense has looked. Other than Gore's long run, they have been solid against good offenses. Somebody is going to get chewed out for losing containment (DeVito?). Hey, its preseason, the coaches have to have something to yell about.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:28 PM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

Did you see Adam Teicher's tweet reposted on Arrowhead Pride:
Reid may be losing patience with Baldwin: "I can tell you that when given the opportunity in this league you’d better catch the football."
There's nothing like releasing a #1 draft choice to shake up the complacency on a team.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:42 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

I'd rather give one of the young receivers a shot on the 53 man than Baldwin. I know what Baldwin can do (nothing). Lets see if Hemingway or Richardson or Wylie can do something.

As far as Gore's long run, that was a combination of Tamba and Divito's fault. Back side outside linebacker is supposed to hold and fold, follow the ball away about 2 yards deep. Back side end needs to swing the gate to the sideline down the line of scrimmage. Divito was pursuing about 2 yards deep the wrong way and Hali was in the wrong spot as well. I thought both made up for it in ensuing plays. Watching Divito rag doll LaMichael James was funny.

Offensive line has to step up. The pass protection has been bad two weeks in a row and for the most part it hasn't been the tackles fault. Running backs need to get their pro down and the Interior OL needs to get it together.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:59 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

This OL situation is really starting to worry me. They have two weeks to lock it up, but what I originally thought might be a strength looks like a major weakness right now.

I know they have to gel, but man, we're closing in on the regular season here. It's gotta get fixed.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:20 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

Quote:
This OL situation is really starting to worry me. They have two weeks to lock it up, but what I originally thought might be a strength looks like a major weakness right now.

I know they have to gel, but man, we're closing in on the regular season here. It's gotta get fixed.
I'm not all that worried. A lot of it looks schematic as opposed to linemen losing 1 on 1. Backs are whiffing, which is a problem. Once they figure out all the schemes I think they'll look tons better. The Niners are also very good on defense, which should be pointed out.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:43 AM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagewarrior View Post
I'm not all that worried. A lot of it looks schematic as opposed to linemen losing 1 on 1. Backs are whiffing, which is a problem. Once they figure out all the schemes I think they'll look tons better. The Niners are also very good on defense, which should be pointed out.
Second this. They need a lot of reps, and some will come during the season, but the pieces are in place. Trust me, San Diego would love to have our problems.

J

Ad Super Bowl per Aspera