Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: More HRs in '09
Prince Fielder 17 43.59%
Ryan Braun 22 56.41%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2009, 11:44 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Prince finished up with a .299 average, 46 HRs, 141 RBI...an unreal year for him
If he had just one more HR he would have been tied for the HR title, won the RBI title outright, and hit an even .300.

Extremely good season. If it wasn't for Albert Pujols being amazing he'd have an MVP.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:41 AM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
If he had just one more HR he would have been tied for the HR title, won the RBI title outright, and hit an even .300.

Extremely good season. If it wasn't for Albert Pujols being amazing he'd have an MVP.
so true.

Make no mistake, Albert Pujols is the MVP. but, those are MVP numbers right there. great season Prince.

So proud of the way the Brewers finished too. some inspired baseball. bring on 2010!
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:13 AM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://bases.nbcsports.com/2009/10/t...-guys.html.php

brewers will retain the services of Ken Macha and Trevor Hoffman

mostly ok with this.

Everything had to go right for the Brewers to sniff the playoffs. injuries and lack of pitching was the problem. Ken Macha wasn't the problem this year.

for Hoffman, giving him a lot of money makes me a little nervous. i almost feel like they should just put that money in a jar and save it for Prince Fielder.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:02 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"Look, the reality is that when you're a mid- or small-market team, you have to take advantage of having guys in that pre-free agency range where you can have them at a relatively affordable rate," Braun said. "Everybody is starting to make more money. The reality is, Prince will probably only be here one or two more years."

It sucks, but Braun is right...

Oh and shame on Larussa for denying Prince the chance of reaching .300, grabbing the outright RBI title, and tying Pujols for HR's by walking him in the 10th.

Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:02 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler6 View Post
"Look, the reality is that when you're a mid- or small-market team, you have to take advantage of having guys in that pre-free agency range where you can have them at a relatively affordable rate," Braun said. "Everybody is starting to make more money. The reality is, Prince will probably only be here one or two more years."

It sucks, but Braun is right...

Oh and shame on Larussa for denying Prince the chance of reaching .300, grabbing the outright RBI title, and tying Pujols for HR's by walking him in the 10th.
What Melvin does with Prince this offseason will decide his long term fate. After seeing what happened this past season with a lack of pitching I think the overall success on the field will be greater if they trade Prince for pitching. As far as putting fans in the seats, it'll hurt initially but getting a winning product on the field will help recover from that.

My early prediction for Prince's landing spot will be Boston...get him out of the NL!

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:41 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

Quote:
What Melvin does with Prince this offseason will decide his long term fate. After seeing what happened this past season with a lack of pitching I think the overall success on the field will be greater if they trade Prince for pitching. As far as putting fans in the seats, it'll hurt initially but getting a winning product on the field will help recover from that.
yeah, conventional wisdom makes this a no-brainer. small market team has a superstar ready for a big payday, so the dude is gonna go to a big market team. if i'm a betting man, i'd put it on Prince playing for the AL by 2012.

But, there's just been so much anticipation to what the Brewers are gonna do with him, plus the fact that usually the players that get stolen are good, but not great...or even great but not superstars...i feel like conventional wisdom might get thrown out the window on this one.

because, you're right. how this is handled does make or break Doug Melvin. He's done a lot of good for the Crew, but he was asleep at the wheel this past offseason. IF Prince Fielder is traded for a pitcher that turns out to be just above average, or for a prospect that even has a setback, the trade is gonna look TERRIBLE. and pitchers and prospects are very risky propositions, whereas Prince Fielder is a sure thing.

Part of me feels like the Brewers are gonna try to set up for a big push in 2010. break the bank for free agent pitching and hope to god for a trip to the post season before Prince is shipped out of town. It's not the way i'd want the team to be run, but Prince made himself a lot of money this offseason. New York or LA money. sadly, NOT Milwaukee money.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:53 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

My early prediction for Prince's landing spot will be Boston...get him out of the NL!
Not really. I think he'll be left alone this year and traded next offseason.

As for Macha, I don't feel strongly either way. I think that if we really need to we could always go to Willie Randolph midseason without much problem.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:54 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Trevor Hoffman signed to a 1 year $8 million deal with a mutual option for 2011.

Great move. I don't think anyone can be upset with this.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:15 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is the worst thing about how baseball and the Brewers are setup... We cant afford to keep and absolutely amazing player in Fielder and have to watch him go to a big money team.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:58 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

Doug Melvin had his end of year press conference. highlights here:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/brewers.html

-sounds like trading gamel for pitching is a pretty legit possibility. i would approve. i'm firmly on the mcgehee bandwagon.

-rickie weeks appears to be locked in at second and felipe lopez will be allowed to leave.

-he very bluntly said they want to accquire 2 starting pitchers in the off season.

-hardy likely won't be back.

-jeff suppan isn't gauranteed a spot in the rotation. yeah, right. i'll believe that when i see it.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:05 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am also a fan of mcgehee...Still I don't think his value will ever be higher than it is right now. If they could get some kind of value for him, it might be a ripe time to pull the trigger.

It's time to say, "we screwed up" and dump Suppan. It's that, put him as a long reliever, or have him throw BP.

Felipe Lopez solidifed a leadoff spot that has been a huge gaping hole for the Brewers. If he could stick around and Weeks went somewhere else, that would make me happy. Enough of the "potential" talk about Weeks and go with the proven veteran.

Thanks Mike Cameron for everything, good luck.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:59 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rick Peterson has been named pitching coach

Old 11-06-2009, 11:19 AM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

JJ Hardy has been traded to the Twins for Carlos Gomez. I approve. could this be an everyday centerfielder and leadoff hitter?
Old 11-06-2009, 11:33 AM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gomez has a career .638 OPS...that's not good. I know he's young and fast, but I think we could have gotten more in return for Hardy...

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:48 AM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Gomez has a career .638 OPS...that's not good. I know he's young and fast, but I think we could have gotten more in return for Hardy...
Unlimited potential for unlimited potential...I love the trade.

Neither have lived up to their ability (yet), but the Crew are backed up in the infield, and Cameron will most likely not be back. Young and fast. Well done.

Now go get Cliff Lee if he doesn't return to toe Phillies or Rich Harden. Do it.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:59 AM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Well, Hardy's trade value went down when we let him rot away in the minors for a month. We weren't gonna get a starting pitcher for him. i think this was as good as we were gonna do. 2 guys that just really need a change of scenery.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:33 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe View Post
JJ Hardy has been traded to the Twins for Carlos Gomez. I approve. could this be an everyday centerfielder and leadoff hitter?
Gomez showed he's not a top of the order type guy in Minnesota, maybe with time but right now he's a 7 or 8 hitter

Old 11-06-2009, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Packystan
Rookie

Packystan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Packystan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like Gomez a lot. The guy is blazing fast, and is a game changer on the bags, and also plays a plus CF. Its obvious Melvin is trying to transition this team from a slugging club, to a club that will utilize speed, defense, and baserunning. Play great defense up the middle, and put pressure on the other team with great speed and power. Plus it gives us 14 mil to go out and sign a SP. John Lackey maybe?
Old 11-06-2009, 02:56 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well, Hardy's trade value went down when we let him rot away in the minors for a month. We weren't gonna get a starting pitcher for him. i think this was as good as we were gonna do. 2 guys that just really need a change of scenery.
Hardy's play is what hurt his trade value. Sending him down to the minors for 20 days delayed his free agency which added to his trade value.

In my opinion this trade benefits the Twins more. Hardy is a 2 time all star while Gomez hasn't lived up to his billing when he was one of the top prospects in the Mets system.

The only real benefit is that Gomez is controlled through 2013 and they'll save a ton of money in not having to pay Cameron $10 million and Hardy $5 million. Hopefully they can either add a quality pitcher or use that money to extend Fielder. And honestly I don't see them landing a quality pitcher without a trade and they've used their top chip in Hardy already.
cvv84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:14 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

yeah, it works ok for both teams. the brewers have no need for a SS. but, could use a CF. talent aside, i think the trade makes the brewers a better team in 2010
Old 11-06-2009, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
yeah, it works ok for both teams. the brewers have no need for a SS. but, could use a CF. talent aside, i think the trade makes the brewers a better team in 2010
He's atleast 8-9 million cheaper than Cameron, younger, and faster. If he hits .250, he's basically a quicker Mike Cameron...minus quite a few homeruns though.

Don't count out the fact of going from AL to NL. Seeing the pitching he has will only help him in the transition. I am all for this trade. He might not be a top of the lineup guy, but neither was JJ or Mike Cameron.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:57 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Remember too that this could be the last year with Fielder on the team and that he could even get traded in season if the Brewers aren't on the verge of the playoffs. Melvin could be shifting the team from a HR hitting team to more of a small ball base stealing team like the Angels.
cvv84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

So I'm thinking oh nice a little speedy guy...He is 6'4'' 200 lbs. At age 24, he has got room to grow both physically and skill-set wise.

Honeslty, what's not to love about the trade?
Old 11-06-2009, 07:35 PM    (permalink
EvilMonkey
Veteran

EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler6 View Post
So I'm thinking oh nice a little speedy guy...He is 6'4'' 200 lbs. At age 24, he has got room to grow both physically and skill-set wise.

Honeslty, what's not to love about the trade?
.246 career AVG & .292 career OBP

Never batted over .300 in the minors or anything either. Great talent in terms of speed and he's young, but he's never gonna develop into a leadoff hitter or power hitter or anything.

I like the trade but he's a 7 or 8 hitter who provides speed and great range in CF. Not gonna develop into much more. But getting rid of Cam and Hardy's salary is a win for me, and he should be decent and definitely won't hurt the team at all.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:37 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see it like this

Cameron + Hardy > Escobar + Gomez
but
Cameron + Hardy <<<<<<<<< Escobar + Gomez + $12 mil

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote