Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 11-20-2012, 02:59 AM    (permalink
BeardedOne
Rookie

BeardedOne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.BeardedOne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.BeardedOne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.BeardedOne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.BeardedOne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.BeardedOne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.BeardedOne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.BeardedOne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.BeardedOne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.BeardedOne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.BeardedOne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.
Default NC St. QB Mike Glennon

I have been watching some film on Mike Glennon who has been getting some buzz lately. I haven't gotten really in-depth yet, but I already have some opinions on him that I want to share and discuss. To begin, this guy is Brandon Weeden. He possesses the same height, arm strength, and pocket passer mentality that characterize Weeden. I think, however, that he edges out Weeden in several categories. For instance, I think that he shows better pocket elusiveness and awareness than Weeden. Instead of trying to escaping the pocket, he steps up, something that shows maturity. Nevertheless, when he does need to throw on the run, his accuracy is predictably erratic. While his receivers drop too many balls, he shows good accuracy. Glennon places the ball slightly better than Weeden, who was more of a area passer. In other words, he would hit the receiver, but he struggled to give it to his receiver in stride. One aspect of Glennon's game that worries me is his deep ball anticipation. Sure, his arm let's him hit almost any place on the field, but it's not uncommon to see him underthrow a receiver who gets behind the defense.
To sum things up, I think he can be a first round pick. I don't see a quarterback with his upside going any later than the second round. I'd like to see a team like the Arizona Cardinals take him because he fits their drive the ball downfield mentality.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:17 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've seen Glennon look great on a few deep throws and miss badly on some short and intermediate routes. He's better than I thought he'd be entering the season, but I'll need to watch some more of him before declaring him a first-round pick, especially because most of the NFL takes place in the short/intermediate range.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:19 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He reminds me a lot of Joe Flacco and I believe that is what you will get if you draft him.
I think he is a late 1st rounder but with QB's, you never know how much they will rise because of their position.
Since he plays on a weak team, the Senior Bowl practices or/and the Combine will set his ceiling in the draft.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IMO he's a Flacco level prospect, but he could develop into a Matt Ryan type player with better physical tools.

Glennon still has a chance to be the first pick in the draft, depending who the new KC HC is.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:17 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
IMO he's a Flacco level prospect, but he could develop into a Matt Ryan type player with better physical tools.

Glennon still has a chance to be the first pick in the draft, depending who the new KC HC is.
I'm pretty sure Pioli calls all the shots for KC. Their HC has little say.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:01 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I doubt Pioli will be here next year. There is no reason to keep him on as GM.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:32 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I doubt Pioli will be here next year. There is no reason to keep him on as GM.
Your franchise has a record of keeping their GM through tough times, no matter how his team is doing.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:36 AM    (permalink
KCStud
Rookie

KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Your franchise has a record of keeping their GM through tough times, no matter how his team is doing.
That hasn't happened in a long time, so no we don't have a history of it. Especially not at 1-15.

Say what you want about King Carl, but his teams were never this bad until the year he was fired. His teams were mediocre in the down years between Marty and DV.

JUST DRAFT A QB DAMNIT!!!
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:38 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Not really. Because: see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
That hasn't happened in a long time, so no we don't have a history of it. Especially not at 1-15.

Say what you want about King Carl, but his teams were never this bad until the year he was fired. His teams were mediocre in the down years between Marty and DV.
That is exactly right. His teams were always mediocre. Mediocrity buys you more time. Being flat out awful and leading the worst team in franchise history in your fourth year does not, no matter how you slice it.

And Clark Hunt was the one that fired Carl Peterson. His dad was the one that let him stay on through all that mediocrity.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:40 PM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sig by TACKLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
Tannehill was a better QB (than Gabbert) when he was still playing WR
y.f.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:41 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From the other thread:

Mike Glennon is awful. I don't understand how he's being hyped up as a potential #1 overall. He can't read coverages, makes some terrible decisions, has terrible pocket presence, and accuracy is average. The only thing he really has going for him is a solid arm, but you don't draft a QB #1 overall just because he has a good arm (I'm looking at you JaMarcus).
Old 11-20-2012, 02:05 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
From the other thread:

Mike Glennon is awful. I don't understand how he's being hyped up as a potential #1 overall. He can't read coverages, makes some terrible decisions, has terrible pocket presence, and accuracy is average. The only thing he really has going for him is a solid arm, but you don't draft a QB #1 overall just because he has a good arm (I'm looking at you JaMarcus).
Russell was a drug addict, dumb and had zero work ethic. Glennon is neither of those. JaMarcus stands out as his own epic bust
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:19 PM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've started watching and breaking down some games on him, and he's growing on me TBH.

Sig by TACKLE

Quote:
Old 11-20-2012, 07:20 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Christ, not you too Eric.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:53 PM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Christ, not you too Eric.
Not as the first pick/candidate for KC, but I think he's a first round talent and has a skillset that translates.

Sig by TACKLE

Quote:
Old 11-20-2012, 11:58 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm stealing this point from bored of education...Has there been a QB prospect in this draft who has progressed more from the beginning of the season to the end than Glennon. All the other top QB prospects have either regressed somewhat or been stagnant. Glennon has shown noticeable improvement from the beginning of the season to now. How much weight does the progress itself hold in his evaluation?
Old 11-21-2012, 01:13 AM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

That progression has 100% to do with changing the tempo of the offense halfway through the FSU game, IMO. He picked up once they started going more gun, no huddle, and Quick concepts. So I'm not sure if its really him progressing in isolation or the staff making him a systemzzzzz QB and tailoring the O to fit him better.

Sig by TACKLE

Quote:
Old 11-21-2012, 01:49 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.f.s. View Post
That progression has 100% to do with changing the tempo of the offense halfway through the FSU game, IMO. He picked up once they started going more gun, no huddle, and Quick concepts. So I'm not sure if its really him progressing in isolation or the staff making him a systemzzzzz QB and tailoring the O to fit him better.
I'm talking about his improvement throughout the season, not just that one game. Tough to say how much is on him and how much is on game-planning. The two games I've seen him play live this year were the Tennessee game in week one and vs. Clemson last week. Maybe it is coincidental but he made a much more positive impression on me after the Clemson game (a superior defense) than he did after the Tennessee game where I came away unimpressed. The UNC game on Youtube was pretty impressive and box-scoring scouting and the game highlights from the Wake game tell me that was one of his better games as well. All those games coming in the last four weeks (with a ****** game vs. UConn sprinkled in). He seems to be more decisive with his throws, is doing a better job at getting the ball out on time and is more comfortable facing pressure which obviously are interrelated. Could very well be the upped-tempo in the offense though that's not really something that will/should be held against him. Be interesting to see if he can string together a few solid performances in a row or if he'll display his trademark inconsistency.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:12 AM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
I'm talking about his improvement throughout the season, not just that one game. Tough to say how much is on him and how much is on game-planning. The two games I've seen him play live this year were the Tennessee game in week one and vs. Clemson last week. Maybe it is coincidental but he made a much more positive impression on me after the Clemson game (a superior defense) than he did after the Tennessee game where I came away unimpressed. The UNC game on Youtube was pretty impressive and box-scoring scouting and the game highlights from the Wake game tell me that was one of his better games as well. All those games coming in the last four weeks (with a ****** game vs. UConn sprinkled in). He seems to be more decisive with his throws, is doing a better job at getting the ball out on time and is more comfortable facing pressure which obviously are interrelated. Could very well be the upped-tempo in the offense though that's not really something that will/should be held against him. Be interesting to see if he can string together a few solid performances in a row or if he'll display his trademark inconsistency.
I know you mean over the course of the season. And I mean that they've continued with that tempo and more 3 step concepts (or 1 from gun) since since the 2nd half of the FSU game (which is a good thing, I didn't mean it as a slight against him. It fits him better.)

Sig by TACKLE

Quote:
Old 11-21-2012, 03:36 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.f.s. View Post
I know you mean over the course of the season. And I mean that they've continued with that tempo and more 3 step concepts (or 1 from gun) since since the 2nd half of the FSU game (which is a good thing, I didn't mean it as a slight against him. It fits him better.)
Ah ok, gotcha.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:36 PM    (permalink
ShockTreatment
Rookie

ShockTreatment could make a wolverine purr.ShockTreatment could make a wolverine purr.ShockTreatment could make a wolverine purr.ShockTreatment could make a wolverine purr.ShockTreatment could make a wolverine purr.ShockTreatment could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
From the other thread:

Are you watching the same film I am?

Your analysis is just bad. He has excellent pocket presence, above average accuracy, and a great arm. Did the guy steal your gf or something?

The worst thing he has going for him are his receivers.

Last edited by ShockTreatment : 11-21-2012 at 06:39 PM.
ShockTreatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:44 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockTreatment View Post
The worst thing he has going for him are his receivers.
Considering he basically had his receiving core leave last year, it's amazing how well he's performed this year.

edit: the same could be said for his OL too.

This is NC State. Not Alabama. We don't get 5 star recruits sitting on our benches hoping they get to play some time...
Old 11-21-2012, 06:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is he the consensus #1 overall draft pick yet?

Wake me up when that talk has died out.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:00 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post

God I hope that day is soon.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:00 AM    (permalink
BeardedOne
Rookie

BeardedOne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.BeardedOne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.BeardedOne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.BeardedOne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.BeardedOne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.BeardedOne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.BeardedOne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.BeardedOne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.BeardedOne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.BeardedOne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.BeardedOne wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post

haha I can't see him going #1 overall. He shows enough arm talent to warrant a mid-to-late first round pick though.