Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:38 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
This is a Super Bowl team.
I keep seeing people say this, and it's really getting on my nerves.

Based on what? What the **** has this ******* team proven? They got blown out by the Giants, a playoff team...and they lost to the Vikings.

Beating up on the ******* Bills and Cardinals doesn't make them a "Super Bowl team."

Granted, the NFL is such a joke these days that the Super Bowl winner can be absolutely anyone who stays in the race...but given that tendency, it shouldn't matter who is at quarterback. Kaepernick could suck the rest of the regular season, then come alive for the playoffs.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:48 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any info on Gore and Manningham yet?

I noticed that Gore was favoring his left arm near the end of the game and Manningham hurt his right shoulder and didnt return.

Any updates yet or too soon?
Old 12-02-2012, 09:12 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So...will our rookies ever play this year?

You'd think an injury to a WR and RB would get them on the field. 0 snaps combined yet again. This isn't even a "depth" thing anymore. Teams tend to use their depth.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:18 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not having Kendall Hunter really hurt today. They need to activate Lamichael and see if he can fill that role. Have to give the Rams credit their defense is good and very disciplined.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:23 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Not having Kendall Hunter really hurt today. They need to activate Lamichael and see if he can fill that role. Have to give the Rams credit their defense is good and very disciplined.
we missed a speed element in our run game and jacobs was really ineffective. one 3rd down conversion other than that he was good for 2 yards a pop.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:05 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
If Alex plays at the level that he has played at for the vast majority of the last two seasons, the 49ers win that game.
That would be true in Alex's two losses we received when he was the starter this season as well....so what is your point excatly? Because even Alex can't guarantee he plays at that level every game. So what do you know that he doesn't? Because if we're going to play that game, we shouldn't have lost any game in which Alex started this year because obviously "he has played at that level for a vast majority of the last two seasons". If he can assure us he plays like that for the rest of the year, he might want to tell Jimbaugh and get his job back....I'm sure he would sleep better at night knowing what his starter would play like each and every Sunday. Makes for a much easier game-plan.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:10 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Our top two rookies need to play already. Having Jacobs and Ginn replace Hunter and Williams at RB and WR respectively isnt a good thing. Ginn shouldnt even be on the field as a WR and Jacobs sucks. Hopefully, they can get activated and actually play next week. James is a Hunter type back and could possibly replace him in that speed back role. Need to see what he and Jenkins can do especially when the alternatives suck.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:11 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice game today guys, hopefully in a year or two the Rams will be right there with ya fighting for a division title. Good luck next week
Old 12-02-2012, 10:59 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Forget Smith. He's done and will be gone in February. Moving on.....
Because Kaepernick is the for-sure starter going forward. I mean he couldn't get hurt, keep sucking and then be replaced...nah

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 12-02-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:56 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Because Kaepernick is the for-sure starter going forward. I mean he couldn't get hurt, keep sucking and then be replaced...nah
He would have to suck real bad or get severely injured and even then, I still think that Smith will be gone in February. There's no turning back. Whether its now or later, Kaepernick is the new franchise QB whether anyone here likes it or not. Paying Alex Smith $8.5m next year guaranteed to be the backup isnt going to happen and I'll be shocked if he accepts a paycut. Personally, if im him, I just retire. He's never going to get the chance that he had last season. He may compete for a starting spot but more likely be a backup for some team.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:23 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He would have to suck real bad or get severely injured and even then, I still think that Smith will be gone in February. There's no turning back. Whether its now or later, Kaepernick is the new franchise QB whether anyone here likes it or not. Paying Alex Smith $8.5m next year guaranteed to be the backup isnt going to happen and I'll be shocked if he accepts a paycut. Personally, if im him, I just retire. He's never going to get the chance that he had last season. He may compete for a starting spot but more likely be a backup for some team.
Right, retire. Screw trying to make a living and provide the best possible life for his wife and child when he's still in the prime of his career, and screw playing for the love of the game. I'm sure Alex got this far in life with your attitude Dan. Besides, it's not like any other quarterback around his age had success after 29.

In any case, Kaepernick could have another sub-par against the Dolphins and be benched. Especially if the 49ers lose. Wouldn't surprise me one bit. Especially since the Patriots are the next game on the schedule after that. And if got hurt was out for a while and Alex leads this team far, I wouldn't be so sure that he would be out as a 49er. It's not like Kaepernick has proved he's head and shoulders above Alex Smith at this point, and that was what was supposed to happen. Kaepernick has actually looked less and less spectacular as the games have gone by.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 12-03-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:24 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Fantastic post from the main board by another poster.

Quote:
I think it's obvious that Colin has the ability to scramble, has the better arm, and is overall more athletic than Alex Smith. He has the tools to succeed, but he needs to get his emotions in check, his lows are too low, and his highs are too high. Reminds me of how Troy Smith used to be back when he was starting.

In my opinion, Alex Smith is the type of QB that this team needs. Someone who takes the safe options, manages the game, and most importantly, doesn't make crucial mistakes which leads to points for the opposing team.

The 49ers are such a strong team that we do not need a QB to carry us on their back. If you look at most of our wins last season and this season, they were won by us playing solid football all around, astute defense, good special teams, and a conservative offense which doesn't give away free possessions/points to the other team.

The 49ers don't need to try to become a super juggernaut offense right now. It's just too risky to do it in the middle of the season. We had something great going on with Alex Smith, and Jim wanted something more. This may ultimately lead to the downfall of this team.

I see talent in Colin, no doubt. But he should have been groomed to start next season, and have a whole off season to learn to play smart football.

Colin maybe the better QB in terms of talent, but Smith is the better QB in terms of managing the game and not giving away points. Smith is the QB that this 49ers team needs, not Colin. We don't need someone to thinks they have to be superman and carry the team; Alex Smith understood his role as a QB (and that is to play it safe), and that led us to wins.

We had a winning formula, why risk it Jim? Getting a bit too greedy. We got this far by playing smart, conservative football. Why change that now? If you really wanted to overhaul this offense and make it truly "unstoppable" with Colin, do it next season.

Quote:
Old 12-03-2012, 01:16 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that's a good post, but only time will tell. Personally, I disagree with the post and think Jim did the right thing in terms of keeping Colin in. He had to see what he had, now he's seeing it....and it looks like Colin is still learning. We can't have a QB that looks at one read and ditches the pocket..it never works.

What I also don't get is the strategy when Colin is in. Everyone used to say that the Offense was a result of Alex's limitations....well it's looking more and more like THIS IS the Offense, whether you like it or not. If you made the change to the guy because he had the big arm, use it, attack the opposition on all levels. All I'm seeing is a lot of conservative playcalls and gadgetry.

This next game is huge for Colin, he can't put up a game like this before the Pats and Seahawks...we need momentum going into these games.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:34 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Right, retire. Screw trying to make a living and provide the best possible life for his wife and child when he's still in the prime of his career, and screw playing for the love of the game. I'm sure Alex got this far in life with your attitude Dan. Besides, it's not like any other quarterback around his age had success after 29.

In any case, Kaepernick could have another sub-par against the Dolphins and be benched. Especially if the 49ers lose. Wouldn't surprise me one bit. Especially since the Patriots are the next game on the schedule after that. And if got hurt was out for a while and Alex leads this team far, I wouldn't be so sure that he would be out as a 49er. It's not like Kaepernick has proved he's head and shoulders above Alex Smith at this point, and that was what was supposed to happen. Kaepernick has actually looked less and less spectacular as the games have gone by.
Guy is already a millionaire and could easily retire, live a good life with his wife and kid(s). You act like he's poor or something. Nothing wrong with my attitude. If he cant be the starting QB here long term, he wont be the starting QB anywhere especially when you add in the fact that he would have yet another OC and have to learn yet another offense. Just think that his time is pretty much done. No team went after him in the off-season and I dont see why that would change a year later and after getting benched for Kaepernick.

As for Kaepernick, I dont see him getting benched unless he gets injured. Even if he was to have a 5 interception game and lose badly, I still dont see him getting benched. Harbaugh choose Kaepernick and his ego wont allow him to bench Kaepernick no matter how bad he plays. He's going to ride him out, good or bad.

Kaepernick looked good in his first two starts and was solid today. The playcalling is a bigger concern than either Kaepernick or Smith at this point at least to me anyway. You're really want Smith back after just three games? Come on man. Smith had seven plus years and we went as far as we're going to go with him at QB last year. Team isnt going to get to the Super Bowl with him. The teams that have won the Super Bowl all had great QB's and an offense that wasnt offensive to watch. With Smith, that was never going to happen.

Just have to give Kaepernick time.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:43 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Guy is already a millionaire and could easily retire, live a good life with his wife and kid(s). You act like he's poor or something. Nothing wrong with my attitude. If he cant be the starting QB here long term, he wont be the starting QB anywhere especially when you add in the fact that he would have yet another OC and have to learn yet another offense. Just think that his time is pretty much done. No team went after him in the off-season and I dont see why that would change a year later and after getting benched for Kaepernick.

As for Kaepernick, I dont see him getting benched unless he gets injured. Even if he was to have a 5 interception game and lose badly, I still dont see him getting benched. Harbaugh choose Kaepernick and his ego wont allow him to bench Kaepernick no matter how bad he plays. He's going to ride him out, good or bad.

Kaepernick looked good in his first two starts and was solid today. The playcalling is a bigger concern than either Kaepernick or Smith at this point at least to me anyway. You're really want Smith back after just three games? Come on man. Smith had seven plus years and we went as far as we're going to go with him at QB last year. Team isnt going to get to the Super Bowl with him. The teams that have won the Super Bowl all had great QB's and an offense that wasnt offensive to watch. With Smith, that was never going to happen.

Just have to give Kaepernick time.

Quote:
Old 12-03-2012, 02:27 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Also, I love the "he had seven years" card. Because all of those teams he was on were just marvelous.

That's like the worst cop out ever and automatically proves you've been drinking from the biased mug.

Quote:
Old 12-03-2012, 03:11 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We don't have time dan, jesus. Time is now. If team was crap, sure, team is not crap tho.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:17 AM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There also seems to be the misconception that Smith can't make the big play. He can. He's done it. He's had some great throws this year. He's not just a game manager, Smith can absolutely go out and win games.

But the thing is you know what you're getting with Smith. Definite top 15 QB but not top 5. Good, but will never be great. But good is good enough for this team. All they need is a good quarterback. Kaepernick has the potential to be great and dynamic, but right now it's still just potential. He looked lost out there today. If the 9ers want to win a Super Bowl, then they can't have a guy learning on the fly. They need Smith in there.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:44 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
We don't have time dan, jesus. Time is now. If team was crap, sure, team is not crap tho.
But Kaepernick "just needs time."

Quote:
Old 12-03-2012, 07:21 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Colin Kaepernick's passing yards, YPA, and QB rating have gone down in all of his starts along with the 49ers points scored. He is getting worse, not better. No one is denying his talent but this team can win a Super Bowl this year with Alex Smith.

I am legitimately worried about Harbaugh's control of this team. His comments about the "hot hand" and starting the QB that gives us the best chance to win this year don't look very true at this point. If your team thinks you are lying it makes it a lot harder to control them. Kaepernick needs to play well against the Dolphins or needs to be benched.

Also, in regards to the Smith had seven years comment--he didn't. He had 30 starts under his belt and was coming off a seriously injured shoulder when the 49ers gave up on him being the franchise QB, evidenced by them putting him into an open competition with Shaun Hill before the season. Regardless, Smith had 50 starts going into last season. 50 starts =/= seven years.

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 12-03-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:08 AM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Quote:
Also, I love the "he had seven years" card. Because all of those teams he was on were just marvelous.

That's like the worst cop out ever and automatically proves you've been drinking from the biased mug.
Where were you when Tim Rattay got a whopping one injury-plagued season before they drafted Milquetoast Wonderboy? When Rattay easily beat out the team's "chosen one" in camp and preseason, only to be benched after week 4 when Wonderboy hadn't done a single thing to earn the job? When Rattay was immediately traded to the Bucs for a 6th round pick just to make sure their chosen one was as comfortable as possible? Can't have any competition for The Messiah that is Alex Smith. Oh, no. Can't have him looking over his shoulder at the man he never could beat for the job.

Remember all the great weapons Tim Rattay had? The Curtis Conways and Johnnie Mortons in their last year of football after having already established they were on their last legs before even signing with the 49ers? Otis Amey playing the slot, such as against the Dallas Cowboys in 2005, where a pass bounces out of his hands on a slant, costing the 49ers the victory, yet in this instance, it's not Amey's fault because it wasn't Alex Smith throwing the ball. Rattay has to not throw that slant because the coverage was too tight.

Terry Jones at tight end in 2005.

Kevan Barlow averaging 3.2 yards/carry at running back. Ted Tollner as the offensive coordinator in 2004.

Kwame Harris, Justin Smiley, Scott Gragg, Kyle Kosier, Anthony Clement. Exxxxcellent up front, as we all know.

But Rattay had Brandon Lloyd, and Arnaz Battle. That should have been enough for him to be consistently excellent. Just not enough for Alex Smith.

When it comes to Alex Smith, Brandon Lloyd, Arnaz Battle, Antonio Bryant, Darrell Jackson, Michael Crabtree, Mario Manningham, and Randy Moss aren't good enough. Vernon Davis isn't good enough. Larry Allen, Jonas Jennings, Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, and Alex Boone aren't good enough.

Mike McCarthy? Not good enough. Norv Turner? Not good enough, either. But he made such great strides with Turner! 16 TDs, 16 INTs, 2800 yards, 58.1% completion, with Frank Gore having a Jim Brown-type season at running back. Well, at least it's an improvement over 1 TD to 11 INTs and 50.9% completion.

Mike Martz, what does he know?

Jimmy Raye and Jim Hostler were also to blame. Mike Johnson, too.

Alex Smith fans live in their own little world where the offensive coordinator always sucks and the supporting cast is to blame any time he has a bad game. If he throws an interception, the receiver ran the wrong route or didn't make enough of an effort to get to the football. If the receivers don't catch enough passes in a game, they weren't getting open. After all, if they were, the infallible Alex would surely have hit them. Get it? Get it? Circular reasoning 4tw.

If Alex is sacked, it's either the line's fault for not protecting, or, in the event of a "coverage sack," it must have been that nobody was open. Again, Alex Smith does not miss open receivers.

If it's incomplete, either the receiver dropped it, didn't make enough of an effort to get the ball, ran the wrong route, or wasn't open. Plus, remember, Alex needs more time to get in synch with the new receivers.

He also needs more time to learn the new offense.

In the Alex fanboy world, QB rating is the only stat that matters. Well, that and completion percentage. If Alex has good figures in a given statistic, that's the one that matters. All the other statistics don't deserve mention. They're somebody else's fault, anyway.

And now they're going to pretend that this team was on their way to a guaranteed Super Bowl victory before poor Alex was screwed yet again. They're going to act like Alex's games against garbage teams like the Bills and Cardinals were the norm, and did not inflate his numbers beyond belief, and Alex didn't go out and suck against the Jets, Vikings, Giants, and Seahawks. Hey, what were his QB ratings those games? 81? That's not bad at all, yo! He didn't throw any INTs and completed enough checkdowns to complete 58% of his throws, therefore he played well in that one!

Alex Smith fanboys are insufferable.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:12 AM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
Well, the team is going to be good for a long time. It's either Alex Smith, or Colin Kaepernick. Alex Smith is not a ******* wily old veteran. He's 28. He's only 3 years older than Kaepernick.

If Alex Smith DOES win the Super Bowl with this team. WHAT THEN? Huh?

When is it going to be Kaepernick's time? When is it going to be time to move on from a SUPER BOWL WINNING quarterback whose QB ratings figures are always "sooooo gooooood" that his fanboys blurt them out every time in his defense? When is it going to be time to take a risk with Kaepernick? In 7-8 years, when Willis/Bowman start to slow down? When Kaepernick himself is 32-33 years old, and Alex is finally on his way toward retirement?

If Alex Smith wins the Super Bowl, Kaepernick's chances of being the 49ers' QB of the future are over.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:15 AM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Where were you when Tim Rattay got a whopping one injury-plagued season before they drafted Milquetoast Wonderboy? When Rattay easily beat out the team's "chosen one" in camp and preseason, only to be benched after week 4 when Wonderboy hadn't done a single thing to earn the job? When Rattay was immediately traded to the Bucs for a 6th round pick just to make sure their chosen one was as comfortable as possible? Can't have any competition for The Messiah that is Alex Smith. Oh, no. Can't have him looking over his shoulder at the man he never could beat for the job.
If anything it was a favor to Rattay. In 03 Tim had his own spark plug run. 7TD 2INT. 04 sure the team sucked and problem far beyond Rattay. But that was his 5th year in the league and he didn't appear to be a QB of the future.

Lots of wasted space talking about Rattay for god sake...

Quote:
When it comes to Alex Smith, Brandon Lloyd, Arnaz Battle, Antonio Bryant, Darrell Jackson, Michael Crabtree, Mario Manningham, and Randy Moss aren't good enough. Vernon Davis isn't good enough. Larry Allen, Jonas Jennings, Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, and Alex Boone aren't good enough.
Lloyd *1 year and has since bounced around the NFL*
Arnaz Battle *Good draft pick but he was a QB. Hard worker*
Antonio Bryant *Best talent. Smith took advantage of it. Also didn't make it a full year before getting kicked off the team*
Darrell Jackson *I remember the hope. He had 12 catches total after 2007
Michael Crabtree *Holds out. Never practices. Eventually does get his feet under him and looks like a good possession WR.
Mario Manningham *A low price FA WR. Had like 7 games with him
Randy Moss *35yo who was out of the NFL
Vernon Davis *a great weapon
Larry Allen *old and we got the last good football out of him
Jonas Jennings *injuries and then gone
Joe Staley *was raw but has turned into a good LT last year
Anthony Davis *super raw and turned into a good RT this year
Mike Iupati *good
Alex Boone *good

Quote:
Mike McCarthy? Not good enough. Norv Turner? Not good enough, either. But he made such great strides with Turner! 16 TDs, 16 INTs, 2800 yards, 58.1% completion, with Frank Gore having a Jim Brown-type season at running back. Well, at least it's an improvement over 1 TD to 11 INTs and 50.9% completion.
Gore is great yes. Who the RT? Who were the WRs other than Antonio? Vernon was a rookie and missed 6 games.

And he was still just 22yo and some development time was expected. 2006 was a big step and there was hope.

Quote:
Mike Martz, what does he know?
Smith was on IR.

Quote:
Jimmy Raye and Jim Hostler were also to blame. Mike Johnson, too.
Seriously? The defense were calling out our plays.

Last edited by ViperVisor : 12-03-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:36 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVisor View Post
If anything it was a favor to Rattay. In 03 Tim had his own spark plug run. 7TD 2INT. 04 sure the team sucked and problem far beyond Rattay. But that was his 5th year in the league and he didn't appear to be a QB of the future.
It was a favor to Rattay to trade him to another team that already had a starting QB in the middle of the season?

I wonder if you'd consider it a favor to Alex Smith if the 49ers traded him to the Seahawks.

Give me a break with that "5th year in the league" nonsense. What was Alex doing in his 5th year in the league? Oh, right.

Rattay backed up Garcia for 4 years. His playing experience was extremely limited, and he'd only taken first team reps, when healthy, for about 1 season. Imagine if he'd received all the coaching efforts Smith has. Imagine if he'd been given all the additional talent Smith has been given.

"Didn't appear to be a QB of the future." Based on what? The same standards you hold Alex Smith to? I think not. Rattay's ever-important QB raaaaatinggggg was 78.1 in an injury-plagued season with the worst team in football.

Smith didn't top that figure until 2009, with a whopping 81.5. That was also Smith's 5th year in the league, but with far more playing experience and the presence of Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, Frank Gore, and an actually somewhat legitimate offensive line.

Quote:
Lots of wasted space talking about Rattay for god sake...
Oh, of course you'd say that, because it doesn't fit your Alex agenda.

Quote:
Lloyd *1 year and has since bounced around the NFL*
Pro Bowl 2010 season and nearly 1,000 yards last year, despite playing most of it on the hapless Rams.

Tim Rattay was getting him the ball. Alex Smith could not. That's why Lloyd bounced around before finally emerging. He didn't have anyone who could really get him the ball post-Rattay until he arrived in Denver.

Quote:
Arnaz Battle *Good draft pick but he was a QB. Hard worker*
And the second best WR Rattay played with, unless you are counting the 3 games he played in 2003, where he out-performed Garcia.

Quote:
Antonio Bryant *Best talent. Smith took advantage of it. Also didn't make it a full year before getting kicked off the team*
40-733-3 in 14 games is "taking advantage of it."

No.

83-1248-7 with Garcia is "taking advantage of it." And I despise Garcia.

Heck, Bryant had 1,009 and 4 on 69 catches the year before playing with Trent Dilfer/Charlie Frye in Cleveland.

Quote:
Darrell Jackson *I remember the hope. He had 12 catches total after 2007
And I wonder why that is.

Quote:
Michael Crabtree *Holds out. Never practices. Eventually does get his feet under him and looks like a good possession WR.
Oh wow, he held out. Pity the thought.

Never practices? Like, never ever ever?

Don't think so.

Looks like a good possession receiver? Try, he's a very good receiver, period. Anyone who doesn't think Crabtree is a legitimate #1 receiver at this point is just clueless when it comes to watching football.

Quote:
Mario Manningham *A low price FA WR. Had like 7 games with him
A talented receiver who fell in the draft because of off field issues. Open on several deep balls this year that Alex overthrew.

Quote:
Randy Moss *35yo who was out of the NFL
Was out of the NFL because he quit. Can still play at a high level when he wants to, and this year, he wants to. He hasn't been given the chance...unless you count Alex's dumpoff against AZ that he took to the house. That was all Moss...but you'll credit Alex, of course.

Quote:
Vernon Davis *a great weapon
Yep. A great weapon Rattay never had.

Quote:
Larry Allen *old and we got the last good football out of him
Yet even with him up there in 2006, Smith was mediocre at best in 2006.

Quote:
Jonas Jennings *injuries and then gone
Excellent in 2006.

Quote:
Joe Staley *was raw but has turned into a good LT last year
Better than any tackle Rattay ever played with, even at his worst.

Quote:
Anthony Davis *super raw and turned into a good RT this year
Mike Iupati *good
Alex Boone *good
Compared to what Rattay had in 04-05, these are the Hogs.

Quote:
Gore is great yes. Who the RT? Who were the WRs other than Antonio? Vernon was a rookie and missed 6 games.
So now Smith needs absolutely everything to be perfect?

You know who Rattay's right tackles were? Scott Gragg in 2004, who had already turned into a huge liability in 2003, and the same guy you're upset about having been the right tackle for Smith in 2006. Kwame "piano keys" Harris.

Vernon was a rookie, and that was also the last time he was a monster after the catch.

You know who filled in for Davis? The same guy who was the starting tight end for Rattay in 2004 - Eric "outlet" Johnson.

Quote:
And he was still just 22yo and some development time was expected. 2006 was a big step and there was hope.
Of course it was a big step up. Smith had arguably the worst rookie season by a quarterback in NFL history.

Quote:
Smith was on IR.
Smith played in camp and in preseason and Martz named J.T. O'Sullivan the starter before Smith went on IR.

Quote:
Seriously? The defense were calling out our plays.
When is an offensive coordinator going to not be at fault? Even the Alex fans are admitting Roman/Harbaugh's play calling is a joke. Their idea of "creative" is running end arounds and pitches bringing in the backup quarterback on designed running plays.

And yet, Roman/Harbaugh are the first guys who have provided Smith with a system he's ever posted hollow QB rating numbers to be used in his defense in.

Harbaugh/Roman, whichever of them is responsible for this scheme, is as conservative as it gets. His system is a power running game with low risk passing. Smith failed in all other schemes.

Last edited by JordanTaber : 12-03-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:28 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:

Hmmmm....thats the same excuse that you used for wanting Alex gone before Harbaugh so dont give me that crap.

You and everyone else here wanted Smith gone before Harbaugh but now, everyone is the opposite and why? WTF has Smith done? Subtract the defense, Akers (last season) and our running game and after 2011, you and everyone else would have wanted Smith gone yet again so dont give me that ********.

Smith ISNT the reason we got to the NFCCG last season. It was in SPITE of him. Two games against the Saints and Eagles out of 18 are the only two games we won because of him.

I do like Kaepernick better because he's the better QB. The bigger issue is with the play calling. If Harbaugh and Roman just let Kaepernick play like they did in the Bears game, we wouldnt be having this discussion. Harbaugh and Roman are doing the same crap they did with Smith. Consertative pansy ass play calling with idiotic and moronic gadget plays thrown in.

The LOSS yesterday was on Harbaugh and Roman period. Not Kaepernick. No QB would be stupid enough to call that play in that situation at that time. Hell, majority of QB's hate gadget plays because they know they dont work and no reason to run them. Gadget plays have a minimal chance at best at succeeding so why run them?

It's amazing how everyone is blaming Kaepernick for the loss but yet, if it was Alex, everyone would then be blaming Harbaugh and Roman? But of course, thats not playing favorites.

Everyone thinks that Smith is the answer but he's not. If he was, Harbaugh wouldnt have traded up to draft Kaepernick, wouldnt have tried to sign Hasselbeck before Smith, wouldnt have tried to get Peyton here before re-signing Smith and sure as hell wouldnt have stayed with Kaepernick.

Harbaugh himself knows that Smith is a liability and not the answer but yet, all of you think he is despite the previous five years or whatever the hell it was before Harbaugh got here that all of you wanted him gone.

I wanted Smith gone before Harbaugh. Because of the lockout, re-signing Smith made the most sense. There werent any other options. Smith had his best season in 2011 but it was because of everything else around him. This year, I was actually hoping that he was going to sign with Miami. That way, Kaepernick could have started since the opener and whatever happens happens.

Now, everyone wants Smith back at QB until when? He completes one pass in the NFCCG to a WR again? Everyone here wants Smith back after one loss and the loss isnt even on Kaepernick. It's on Harbaugh and Roman for that stupid gadget play which setup this entire situation and their horrible play calling in OT before Akers missed which I knew he was going to happen because its happened before yet Harbaugh makes him attempt a long FG with a bad groin? Come on.

Who here would actually do that? Not me. I would be aggressive as hell and try to score a TD. Not just give up and assume that Akers wouldnt miss a long FG.

Thats the difference and something I have said all season. Harbugh thinks that the wins are just going to be handed to him which is evident by his gadget play calling at the worst possible time. Harbaugh needs to just let Kaepernick play and go out and take the win period.

Harbaugh needs to eliminate the gadget plays 100% because they're **** and rarely if ever work and arent work the risk and gamble. He also needs to let Kaepernick play like he did in the Bears game. Just let him play. He's holding him back just like he did with Smith and I dont care who the QB is for us, we're not going win a damn thing let alone the SB that way.

Yes, I want Kaepernick as the starting QB because his positives outweigh his negatives and he has more positives than Smith. Smith is basically Dilfer 2000. No thanks. Not going to win a SB that way.

Kaepernick's big play ability is what makes him more valuable to us than Smith. Even though I dont blame him first, he had that bad toss to Ginn but made up for it with the 50 yard run. Only thing that he did bad was go out of bounds before the late 4th quarter FG. And even then, if the play calling didnt suck, maybe we would have gotten a first down and still win and end the game with a short and easy FG.

As for Smith, he needs to be gone in February. Doesnt matter how this season ends. Smith needs to be gone and there needs to be no debate, no discussion, no QB controversy, etc. The sooner Smith is gone, the better everything and everyone will be because there will no longer be these types of conversations/debates/arguments.

All of us will then know that Kaepernick is the franchise QB and thats it. Then, it will be time to just go out and let him play.
Closed Thread