Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 01-02-2013, 01:27 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
Haters gonna hate. Aaron Murray will be starting next year (assuming he declares). He'll get off to a rough start I'm sure, but he definitely has the arm and mobility and pocket presence to succeed at the next level. If the Jets get him in the 2nd I'd be thrilled.
I don't think he has the arm to succeed.

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:01 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regoob2 View Post
People see his size and small frame and make assumptions about his arm. Colt McCoy comps have me scratching my head. He has a very good arm, certainly better than Barkley's and as good if not better than Geno's.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:03 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
People see his size and small frame and make assumptions about his arm. Colt McCoy comps have me scratching my head. He has a very good arm, certainly better than Barkley's and as good if not better than Geno's.
It's not an assumption. He doesn't have a strong arm. He does not have a stronger arm then Geno Smith.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I was a Nebraska fan, I might be calling for the entire coaching staff to go. I don't care what the team's record is. It should be a cardinal sin for the University of Nebraska to give up the amount of points they gave up in their losses.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:09 PM    (permalink
ymalamas11
Rookie

ymalamas11 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Where do you expect Aaron Murray to end up? I could see him being a solid second round pick. Any other opinions?
ymalamas11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:53 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Haters gonna hate. Aaron Murray will be starting next year (assuming he declares). He'll get off to a rough start I'm sure, but he definitely has the arm and mobility and pocket presence to succeed at the next level. If the Jets get him in the 2nd I'd be thrilled.
Careful what you wish for. Of course you being a Jets fan, you'd like what I compared him to yesterday, a cross between Mark Sanchez and Major Applewhite...though I tend to think he is more on the Applewhite side.
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:55 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you want to see a real QB prospect, check out Teddy Bridgewater vs. Florida. He's the real deal. He's got good size, very good athleticism, but what is really impressive are his feet in the pocket, his accuracy, and his knowledge of where his receivers are, and perhaps most importantly, he is elevating the play of his less talented team against a much more talented Florida team.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:56 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymalamas11 View Post
Where do you expect Aaron Murray to end up? I could see him being a solid second round pick. Any other opinions?
I would be surprised if he went before the 3rd round. That being said, I think Murray fans will have to wait until next year to find out. I'm sure the NFL Advisory Board and others close to him haven't been telling him he'll be a first rounder.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:19 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The comps in this thread are mind blowingly awful

He's a small kid with a good arm who isn't real special in any other way. There's a small chance he's Rex Grossman but most likely he's just a 2nd/3rd stringer you'll never hear about.
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:38 PM    (permalink
DBNYDP
Veteran

DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a big fan even if a lot aren't. I'll give people that he isn't a extraordinary college QB but I definitely see a lot of traits that make guys successful at the next level in him. His arm isn't the greatest thing in the world but it is still above average. He can zip it down the field fine with good velocity on the ball, and he can also throw a pretty deep ball. He has accuracy with most of his throws but I do think he can work on throwing some intermediate routes and more practice on placing deep balls. For a short guy he finds passing lanes and makes good use of his feet in the pocket to create throwing lanes. His decision making at some points leaves something to be desired but I completely expect that out of a college QB, and that will definitely improve as he has shown improvement in that area. Lastly he has that poise I like in a QB, he stays calm and as we saw he rallied from interceptions to have a very good bowl game against the number one pass defense . I'd take him in the first and this year if I needed a QB I would have him as my #2 or #3 QB.
DBNYDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 PM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
If I was a Nebraska fan, I might be calling for the entire coaching staff to go. I don't care what the team's record is. It should be a cardinal sin for the University of Nebraska to give up the amount of points they gave up in their losses.
The smart fans like me are saying this but everyone else thinks this team is good because they Win 10 games every year. On topic Murray should struggle because Big 10 Defenses are better than the ones in the SEC, said by terrible Nebraska QB Martinez http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...-sec-defenses/
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:46 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymalamas11 View Post
Seriously see him as a backup at the next level,whatever round you spend on that.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:06 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Seriously see him as a backup at the next level,whatever round you spend on that.
Well he got a 2nd-3rd round grade from the draft advisory board that typically errs on the side of a later round pick, so he'll likely be an early 2nd rounder and start next season.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:54 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Last time I looked into it, about a third of the 2nd string QBs were former first or second round picks.

If there's a run on QBs, like we saw a couple years ago with Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder all going within a few picks, then Murray could be one of those guys who sneaks into the mix. I'm not saying it'll be a first round run on QBs, for the record. Likely a 2nd round run.

Last edited by WCH : 01-03-2013 at 01:01 AM.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:32 AM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Last time I looked into it, about a third of the 2nd string QBs were former first or second round picks.
I was bored, interested, and had time.

Bears: Jason Campbell - 1st
Lions: Shaun Hill - Undrafted
Packers: Graham Harrell - Undrafted
Vikings: Joe Webb - 6th

Falcons: Luke McCown - 4th
Panthers: Derek Anderson - 6th
Saints: Chase Daniel - Undrafted
Buccaneers: Dan Orlovsky - 5th

Cowboys: Kyle Orton - 4th
Giants: David Carr - 1st
Eagles: Nick Foles - 2nd
Redskins: Kirk Cousins - 4th

Cardinals: Ryan Lindley - 6th
49ers: Alex Smith - 1st
Seahawks: Matt Flynn - 7th
Rams: Kellen Clemens - 2nd

Ravens: Tyrod Taylor - 6th
Bengals: Bruce Gradkowski - 6th
Browns: Colt McCoy - 3rd
Steelers: Byron Leftwich - 1st

Texans: TJ Yates - 5th
Colts: Drew Stanton - 2nd
Jaguars: Jordan Palmer - 6th
Titans: Matt Hasselbeck - 6th

Bills: Tyler Thigpen - 7th
Dolphins: Matt Moore - Undrafted
Patriots: Ryan Mallett - 3rd
Jets: Greg McElroy - 7th

Broncos: Brock Osweiler - 2nd
Chiefs: Matt Cassel - 7th
Raiders: Terrelle Pryor - 3rd
Chargers: Charlie Whitehurs - 3rd

1st round: 4
2nd round: 4
3rd round: 4
4th round: 3
5th round: 2
6th round: 7
7th round: 4
Undrafted: 4

So 25% is your answer. Actually pretty even distribution besides the spike in the 6th round.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:48 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Just curious, but who was the last QB to hit the NFL and fail because of his arm? As in, he had the brains, knew where to throw it, understood the offense well, did everything well, but just didn't have the arm?

I guess if a QB can't throw it well physically it may be hard to tell he's good in other aspects, but to me it seems QBs that fail tend to do so for at least some mental related reasons, regardless of their arm. If 'not having the arm' going from college to the pros is a legitimate issue, shouldn't there be plenty of examples where it obviously was the issue?
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:02 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTitan View Post
Just curious, but who was the last QB to hit the NFL and fail because of his arm? As in, he had the brains, knew where to throw it, understood the offense well, did everything well, but just didn't have the arm?

I guess if a QB can't throw it well physically it may be hard to tell he's good in other aspects, but to me it seems QBs that fail tend to do so for at least some mental related reasons, regardless of their arm. If 'not having the arm' going from college to the pros is a legitimate issue, shouldn't there be plenty of examples where it obviously was the issue?
To add to your point, Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning weren't exactly known for their arms.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:51 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would I be totally out of line to suggest that the vast majority of QBs who can succeed in college have an adequate arm (strength wise) for the NFL, and assuming they can master the other aspects of the position, they are going to be a good pro? Considering that ball velocity etc can be improved with technique and training.

I tend to think arm strength is such a horribly overrated attribute that it should basically be struck from the lexicon of the draft analyst, only to be brought up in extreme cases, or when a prospect is so complete, he also happens to posses a strong arm. It seems to me it offers no avenue for success to the mentally incapable prospect, and it also offers no realistic guarantee of failure for the otherwise good prospect. So, why then is it even a topic of discussion?
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:02 AM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTitan View Post

Colt McCoy, Chase Daniels, Kellen Moore, Christian Ponder, Greg Mcelroy, Jimmy Clausen, Colt Brennan.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:20 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I think Georgia QB Aaron Murray is one of the most overrated prospects that I've seen in a while. Is it just because of his high school press clippings? I think Round 3 would be his ceiling, especially this year. Lots of physical shortcomings plus an inconsistent track record.
I totally agree, round 3 at best for him. He is terribly inconsistent.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:41 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Draft advisory board disagrees. Considering they get paid to make these assessments I'd put more weight in their projection.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:51 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Colt McCoy, Chase Daniels, Kellen Moore, Christian Ponder, Greg Mcelroy, Jimmy Clausen, Colt Brennan.
Gino Torretta, The Detmer brothers, Steve Walsh, Ken Dorsey, Cade McNown, Timmy Chang, every QB from Texas Tech, Major Applewhite, Tim Couch, Scot Mitchell, Chuck Fusina, Frank Reich, Tony Pike, Chuck Long, Rodney Peete, Jay Fiedler, Erik Kramer, Ryan Fitzpatrick...

Exceptions to the rule... Brad Johnson, Jeff Garcia...
Old 01-03-2013, 12:51 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
To add to your point, Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning weren't exactly known for their arms.
No, they're known for being incredibly intelligent, if they were less intelligent, they would be known for having pretty good arms (well above average at least).
Old 01-03-2013, 12:53 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Oh, I disagree totally. I think he is very consistent. Awesome against terrible defenses and DI-AA opponents and absolutely dreadful in championship/bowl games and South Carolina.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:55 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

And by the way, the only long throw Murray made the other day that had any degree of difficult to it (the others were strictly YAC), he underthrew badly and the WR showed off his inability to go up and get the ball and got lucky with a basket catch. The throw was an indictment of Murray's arm and accuracy and King's lack of ball skills (at least on that play). That throw should've been an easy INT.

3rd rounder at best.