Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 08-08-2014, 08:15 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Football Friendly #1: Packers @ Titans

Alrighty, we're about 36 hours away from some football. Overall, the big thing to watch for in these early games is what we have in the trenches. Tretter will get his first live action against a different color and following the Barclay injury we don't know what we have in any of our backups.

Derek Sherrod has had some good moments in camp and it'll be nice to see him back on the field. Corey Linsley is going to make this roster but doesn't appear like he's pushing Tretter too much for the starting gig, yet. Lane Taylor is a player I liked from last preseason and he's seemingly our 8th lock at this point. How many OL will we be keeping?

Defensively, Jones-Raji-Daniels are atop the depth chart at this point. Boyd and the rookie Thornton will make this team, and Boyd has a strong chance to push for considerable playing time if he can build on what we saw from him at the end of last season. Peppers and Neal can be moved around but they're going to see most of their time standing up. The depth and competition on this side of the ball is obviously hurt with Worthy and Guion's injuries.

Any other battles we'll be focusing on?

One more thing, I hope we get to see Chase Rettig take some snaps. I was a fan of signing him as an undrafted free agent and believe he is the most talented quarterback not named Aaron on the roster. We will be able to hide him on the practice squad this season while Flynn and Tolzien jockey for the clipboard position.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:51 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm curious to see if Neal looks quicker at his more svelte 265lbs. Also, interested in seeing the young OLBs. Holdover Mulumba has looked quick off the snap in practices according to reports. Bradford seems to have some juice and I thought Hubbard could be a UDFA steal when he was signed. The top of this position group is obviously set but these reserves are going to have to contribute at some point this season.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:55 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We will see zero of Aaron, Eddie and Jordy.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:34 PM    (permalink
PackerFan20
Rookie

PackerFan20 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.PackerFan20 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Anybody have a link for the game? NFL Network won't show it until tomorrow morning...
PackerFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:41 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So Davante Adams won't be a returner

2 muffed punts, second one resulting in a turnover and great field position for the Titans(that turns into a TD on the next play)
Old 08-09-2014, 08:45 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CLinton-Dix comes up to stuff Dexter McCluster who bowls over him and goes for 8 more yards after the contact

Edit: Responds by taking down Bishop Sankey for a 1 yard gain on the next play.

Davante Adams no longer returning punts. Micah Hyde is back there now

Last edited by BloodBrother : 08-09-2014 at 08:47 PM.
BloodBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:28 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

I am recording the game right now and will watch it later. Brewers game is more important and dominating my attention currently.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:07 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

Yeah, I was watching on a crappy stream for about a quarter then turned it off for the Halos game

recording it on NFLN and will watch it tomorrow
Old 08-09-2014, 11:37 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rajion Neal looked good. But he left with a knee..... hopefully not serious, but with us.....

Anyway, I just posted this article on him the other day> http://packersinsider.com/2014/07/di...b-for-packers/
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:40 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good game, guys!

Here's a catgirl!

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:05 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Rajion Neal looked good. But he left with a knee..... hopefully not serious, but with us.....

Anyway, I just posted this article on him the other day> http://packersinsider.com/2014/07/di...b-for-packers/
What's up with Jeff Janis? My guess is they'd like to stash him for the year but can't put him on the practice squad because someone would grab him. Feel free to send him to Seattle if that's the case.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:12 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

I just finished watching the first half and here's some takes:

- It's difficult to get a full assessment, especially the passing game, when the weather was so wet. I know there's always a chance to see weather like this during the season but for evaluation sake, it's easier if the weather cooperates.

- The first string offensive line looked really good. Granted the Titans lack in talent all over, it's still good to see the line have a high night as opposed to the opposite.

- Derek Sherrod had some good moments, and it's nice to see him back on the football field healthy. He's got work to do but I think he'll be useful as our swing tackle.

- Linsley and Taylor had positive moments and it looks like they'll be our two backup options on the interior. Tiller frightens me if he makes the team.

- The tight end position is going to be the biggest question mark throughout the entire preseason. Quarless didn't look like a guy battling for his job and he should be.

- Defensively, it's a blessing we have four preseason games because assignments and job responsibilities need to be ironed out quite a bit.

- Julius Peppers looks like a guy who isn't completely comfortable standing up and is obviously still getting used to the transition.

- Jamari Lattimore looked terrible, at least from what I have watched so far. Hawk and Jones aren't a great tandem by any means but the depth behind them makes their health vital.

- Josh Boyd was able to provide pressure working one-on-one and would like to see him get some work with the first unit.

- Jarrett Bush made a couple of impressive play and as we go year by year it seems like he's actually improving and validating his spot on the roster.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:14 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
What's up with Jeff Janis? My guess is they'd like to stash him for the year but can't put him on the practice squad because someone would grab him. Feel free to send him to Seattle if that's the case.
He's coming off of battling the Shingles virus so we haven't seen much since the start of training camp but reports prior to TC were very good.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some thoughts.

Adams won't be returning punts for us, hahah. He did look nice as a WR, though. Loved his outside move on a short catch to get the first down through two defenders.

Bostick and Rodgers will be the starting te as a duo. Both seem to bring a nice mix of blocking and receiving. Quarless is sinking.

Don't have a lot of thoughts on the defense. Not really concerned that Peppers mailed it in on the first preseason game in terrible conditions; guess what, so did Clay. ILB looks to be an Achilles heel again this year.

The starting OLINE looked slick. Granted it was against the ****** titans D but I really liked what I saw. Tretter has much better skills than EDS so it's just a matter of getting him caught up on reps. Love his ability to get off the snap quickly and move around in a phone booth.

Harris looks like a great kickoff returner, too bad he can't field punts.

Starks is such a great #2 back. Wow. We almost certainly have the best 1-2 punch at RB in the league which is crazy to say. Combined with Kuhn and Harris we probably have the deepest backfield. How did that happen?

This offense might be a juggernaut of doom this year. I didn't need the preseason game to tell me that but it didn't hurt.

I thought this was a good game for HaHa. He got embarrassed a couple times but immediately bounced back. I like that. I thought his ability to make up ground on the seam pass to Thompson and break it up showed better ability than any of the safeties we've fielded lately. It was a great play after getting toasted off the line.

I also think we'll go with Flynn at backup QB with the plan to get Rettig there next year. Tolzien just doesn't impress me and we have a better shot at winning a game with Flynn.

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Last edited by Sportsfan486 : 08-10-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:11 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just watched the first half, a few things I noticed with DVR slow-mo.

TD run allowed, after Davante' muff: It was #59's fault, terrible read went to the left way too far, let the lane wide open to his right.
Brad Jones. That's why a lot of us wanted an ILB drafted high. Like Chris Borland.

Nick Perry made a nice play, read, that nobody noticed because it didn't generate anything other than an incomplete pass on a third down and a punt.

Andrew Quarless dropped a pass on a similar play that Rob Gronkowski got his leg, knee blown up. The Titans broadcaster Eddie George said AQ heard footsteps. That's exactly right. Gronk will hear those again if he ever beats a guy down the seem again, and I worry about Cobb too. Those things are scarier than getting hit in the face or chest.

We have 4 RBs that I love, plus Kuhn.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:20 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm unable to rep, JMike, but here's my reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88
thanks for the catgirl. what u expect outta your titans this season? i still think jake can be good. am i crazy?
I'm expecting about a 7-9 record or so, assuming the younger players progress moderately, Locker stays healthy, and switching to the 3-4 isn't a complete disaster.

Locker can be good, and played well last year. It's just an issue of him staying healthy. It doesn't matter how good you are if you don't see the field. A good amount of people have written him off, but I'm excited to see him play this year.

Also, I hope Rajion Neal makes it as the 3rd RB for ya'll. Kid's a gamer.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:25 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
Also, I hope Rajion Neal makes it as the 3rd RB for ya'll. Kid's a gamer.
I like him fine, too, but he would have the make it as the 4th RB (5th if you include Kuhn.) Harris is all but locked up if for no reason other than his ability to return kicks and his superior chance of pace ability. Plus Neal got injured and we're still waiting to hear about it, which is not a good sign.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:29 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

No news today on Rajion. (There are two Neal on this team, and the other one has a deep injury history too, so let's go by first names to not confise the Neals).

Joe Thomas doesn't seem to be too bad.

Jordy and Davante both missed practice today from some minor issues.

Rodgers to Cobb was money today.
WR Dorsey dropped a couple passes.
Janis had a couple good ones.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:15 PM    (permalink
PackerFan20
Rookie

PackerFan20 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.PackerFan20 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
The run defense looked great (except for the TD run that J-Mike already mentioned). I assume part of it was the weather, but the lack of big plays means they were doing something right.

Offensively, the line looked dominant at times, opening up huge holes all over the place. Starks and Harris were finding the cut-back lanes, Neal too, but Perkins and Hill looked slow and too committed to the play. The Titans announcers mentioned this, but Harper looks slow out there. He was making some plays but he just seems too slow to be effective every week.

I couldn't tell who it was, but at one point late in the game our LG got smoked at the LOS and gave up a bad sack. Probably just a camp body, but it was not pretty.
PackerFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:38 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

I wanted to like Harper because of his physicality and hands but there's a clear reason emerging why two WR needy teams cut him.

He's incredibly slow out of cuts and can't catch passes that require body assists or motion. He'll catch anything standing up that he can put two hands on but anything else and he's incredibly poor. Considering that basically eliminates him from anything except right left routes (which he has no explosion on) and you can see the problem.

I think Janis has as good as shot to be that 5th WR as anyone and I doubt we keep 6. Much rather keep an extra TE as that guy would bring more for special teams.