Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Where will Alex Smith be next season
Buffalo 5 4.63%
Cleveland 10 9.26%
Kansas City 47 43.52%
Jacksonville 6 5.56%
Arizona 25 23.15%
NY Jets 10 9.26%
Other: Who 5 4.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2013, 12:09 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just want him in Cleveland so that they can replace Weeden with a younger QB who's got as many years of experience as Smith. Would be so funny and just the perfect explanation for why drafting old man Weeden where they did was ********.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:09 PM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Smith will know if he is probably going to have a guy in the wings based on the contract he signs.

More guaranteed money over a longer time a team will probably only look at a later round QB pick that is a long shot to develop into a NFL starter.

If a team trades for his 2 final years or signs him to a front loaded contract he is probably going to have to play great to be more than a place holder for a franchise.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:19 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Cleveland isn't getting Alex Smith. Michael Lombardi was very critical of Andy Dalton this offseason saying he doesn't view him as the "answer" at qb bc he can't make all the throws.

Alex Smith doesn't make all the throws either. I don't see why Lombardi would want him when he was so critical of Dalton who has similar traits as a quarterback.

So Lombardi is either sticking with Weeden or drafting a qb. I don't suspect Smith is even on his radar. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't expect it.
I think you may be reading into comments just a bit.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:23 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
I think you may be reading into comments just a bit.
I think you're being hopeful to the point of being unrealistic.

They're not giving up on Weeden after 1 year for Alex Smith. I just don't see it bro. There's no reason to give up on Weeden for Alex Smith. Financially it makes no sense, football wise it makes no sense, it just doesn't make sense.

If they don't view Weeden as the answer then they want a long term answer, not a stop gap that will be expensive.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:27 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justone2 View Post
Then please explain to me why a Rivers who really needs a specific situation is still considered a top 10 QB where Smith who had a different Offense to learn every year and had bottom of the league receivers around him and finally started producing when a coach build the offense around him still cant be seen as a average starting QB that can succeed somewhere else(as long as the offense around him fits him).
Because Rivers is good and Alex Smith sucks. Get it?
Old 02-01-2013, 12:33 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think you're being hopeful to the point of being unrealistic.

They're not giving up on Weeden after 1 year for Alex Smith.
I'm being unrealistic because I said I think you may be reading into something to much based off of you saying that the Browns will not get him because of comments LOMBARDI made about a different quarterback earlier in the year not having anything to do with the Cleveland Browns QB situation? Right. Also, Lombardi isn't the say all in this regime, that has been made clear. It's going to be a group effort by Chud, Banner, Lombardi, and Haslam.

Quote:
I just don't see it bro. There's no reason to give up on Weeden for Alex Smith.
Really?

1.) Weeden is older than Alex Smith.

2.) Alex Smith has a TON of NFL experience over Brandon Weeden.

3.) Brandon Weeden is going to take another year or two to develop, Alex Smith is already developed.

4.) Alex Smith was playing his best football EVER the past two years, and Cleveland has Norv Turner, an offensive mind who is strictly going to be dealing with the QB and offense.

5.) Brandon Weeden was EASILY the worst of the 5 rookie QBs this year, he also happens to be the oldest.

6.) Alex Smith has won playoff games, something a Cleveland Browns QB has not done since coming back to the league in 1999.

7.) Looking strictly off of skill set, Alex Smith was completing at a 70% completion rate, and had one of the best YPA in the league before his concussion. Also, he brings more of a chance to run the ball, he understands defenses better, and he has been playing football his entire life as his focus. His Passer rating has also climbed on an upward trend the past 4 years, and has looked much better since coming back from his injury. Weeden spent a large time playing baseball, and then switched to football in a quarterback friendly college system, where he was leaps and bounds older than his competition. Therefore adding to his lack of real NFL experience and general football experience.

8.) This staff didn't bring in Weeden, it was the previous, they have no "ties" to him.

Quote:
Financially it makes no sense, football wise it makes no sense, it just doesn't make sense.
For reasons above, plus the fact that if we paid Alex Smith $8 million a year, as a quarterback, how is that even bad? The 49'ers were just paying the man that amount, so apparently they viewed him as worth it. Not to mention, we have some of largest salary cap space in the league going into this off-season.

Quote:
If they don't view Weeden as the answer then they want a long term answer, not a stop gap that will be expensive.
So Alex Smith, at age 28 (29 when the season starts) with probably 5-7 years of play left, and probably in his prime, is a stop gap and not worth it?

Honestly, I won't be pissed if we don't get Alex Smith, I am saying I prefer it, but from a completely neutral basis I don't understand some of the criticism and arguments against Smith, and against teams who have **** quarterback play bringing him in.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
Old 02-01-2013, 12:40 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Your response is proof that you want him so bad. Just look at it. Alex Smith is not a good quarterback. He can't make the intermediate throws with regularity bc he lacks strength and accuracy, he's not a great deep ball threat either.

Forget his YPA. That's a result of large windows due to heavy PA pass, and YAC from the result of screens. He had games this year where he was god awful, and he showed his inability to throw downfield. Look at his game vs Seattle. He literally threw it to the RB every play.

There's no more upside with Smith. He is what he is. Weeden may be a year older, but he's not as developed. He has upside. He has a better arm. He can make all the throws. At least there's the unknown with Weeden, and what are you sacrificing? One year, and 3 years of a lot less salary vs Alex Smith.

So why wouldn't you go with Weeden over him? Alex Smith is mediocre. Why you are banging the drums for a mediocre qb when you play Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Cinncy in your own division is beyond me.

You think Alex Smith is gonna carry the sword in that division? Come on. You're better off rolling the dice with someone who has some upside.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:40 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its funny. Smith would be an upgrade for a lot of teams, arguably all on the list. The problem is, he isn't a great fit for any of them. Cleveland and Arizona are installing offenses that ideally would have a QB with a stronger arm(though I'm aware Turner used Smith well in SF), he's not a good fit in Buffalo's weather and with Buffalo,NYJ and KC, he isn't enough of an upgrade over the incumbent to justify adding him and his salary. I'd rather have Smith than Fitz,Sanchez or Cassel, but not by a big enough gap that I'd pay Smith 8 mil plus take the cap hit from cutting my current starter. That's a franchise QB sized cap hit.

Something like Smith to SD, Rivers to SD makes some sense. SD would need some additional compensation though.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
Yea probably I bet some where in his contract he will ask the Cheifs not to draft a QB if he goes there. Hard to say tho really. Just a thought.
What is this I don't even...

Even if he goes to the Chiefs Andy Reid will be drafting a QB.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:46 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

You know what this reminds me of? When Kyle Orton had a good season under McDaniels. All of a sudden Kyle Orton was a hot name for a lot of meddling teams who needed a qb.

And what happened? Exactly.

You don't throw out 8 years of mediocrity just bc there was a flash in the pan season under extremely beneficial circumstances. That just makes no sense at all.

For ***** sake, his own head coach was actively trying to replace him in the offseason, drafted his replacement the second he got hired, and benched him for his backup the second he saw his backup was ready to step in and start.

How much more evidence do you need to know he's not good? This is the most puzzling qb discussion I've been apart of in a long time.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:49 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

And the only reason why there is even a market for Smith this year is bc the qb class is perceived to be absolute crap. Last year when we had a good qb class, this dude couldn't even find a single team who wanted to take a chance on him and sign him as a FA.

I mean come on. Seriously. Wtf else do we need to see?

Sometimes teams are desperate and make decisions bc they need to show a splash to save their job and/or interest in their team for the upcoming season. It's a business, sometimes you make decisions that are good for business but not necessarily good for football.

Alex Smith will be that kind of decision for some franchise out there. He'll generate buzz for one offseason, then he'll suck and theyre back to square one.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:51 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

Quote:
Your response is proof that you want him so bad. Just look at it. Alex Smith is not a good quarterback. He can't make the intermediate throws with regularity bc he lacks strength and accuracy, he's not a great deep ball threat either.
My response is not proof that I want him so bad. I think he would be an upgrade and believe Weeden is not the answer at QB, I am not biasing my opinion one way or the other, I didn't say that Alex Smith is the greatest thing ever, I simply stated I think he's an improvement over what we have. If you think Smith lacks accuracy you should review Brandon Weeden's games. There were a good 10+ passes that hit DBS right in the hands and plenty of routes he missed passes on, as well as not even seeing routes develop.

Quote:
Forget his YPA. That's a result of large windows due to heavy PA pass, and YAC from the result of screens. He had games this year where he was god awful, and he showed his inability to throw downfield. Look at his game vs Seattle. He literally threw it to the RB every play.
Peyton Manning threw 3 ints in one quarter, he sucks dick. You don't think there will be a heavy PA pass with a team that has Trent Ricahrdson? I mean really... You're gonna blast his stats because they don't suit your argument and are just going to write off everything as gimmicky plays, seems legit.

Quote:
There's no more upside with Smith. He is what he is. Weeden may be a year older, but he's not as developed. He has upside. He has a better arm. He can make all the throws. At least there's the unknown with Weeden, and what are you sacrificing? One year, and 3 years of a lot less salary vs Alex Smith.
Maybe Weeden works out, maybe he doesn't but Alex Smith has at least improved over the past 4 years and has shown with good coaching he can play at a high level. Weeden is UNKNOWN, and showed little to nothing in his first season.

Quote:
So why wouldn't you go with Weeden over him? Alex Smith is mediocre. Why you are banging the drums for a mediocre qb when you play Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Cinncy in your own division is beyond me.
Mediocre as in average? That would put him at about ~15 best qb in the league. Weeden was *rated* only in front of Mark Sanchez.

Quote:
You think Alex Smith is gonna carry the sword in that division? Come on. You're better off rolling the dice with someone who has some upside.
No, were better off rolling with someone who is smart with the football understands defenses and has experience.

Last edited by PoopSandwich : 02-01-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:54 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Chiefs have been going after other teams castoff QB's for the whole history of the franchise.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:02 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Eli
Nick Foles
RGIII
Romo
Cutler
Rodgers
Stafford
Kaepnernick
Wilson
Ryan
Cam
Brees
Freeman
Brady
Peyton
Rivers
Roethlisberger
Flacco
Luck
Schaub

Those are all the qbs I would absolutely take over Alex Smith. 20 quarterbacks. I can make an argument for Tannehill, and Dalton but I won't bc they haven't shown enough upside yet.

But all the qbs listed above have either been established qbs who have clearly shown a level of competence at qb that's higher than Alex Smith, or up and coming qbs who I have no doubt will develop into quarterbacks better than Alex Smith.

This notion that Alex Smith is a top 15 qb is absolute nonsense. Just bc some qbs in this league are young doesn't mean they're not better than Smith. You would say Smith is better than Luck, RGIII, and Wilson? I sure as hell woudln't. He's not better than Cam either. Not even close. Not better than Kaep.

For ***** sake, he's not a good quarterback. Do we use our eyes anymore when we evaluate these guys?
Old 02-01-2013, 01:07 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As long as his contract demands aren't crazy there are certainly places where he can be brought in to compete to be a starter. It's all up to him. He might have to sacrifice money for a shot. But as a number 1 overall pick he's been paid plenty of money from San Fran over the years for not a ton of production. There are teams with bad money invested in QBs he could probably beat out. However those teams aren't going to spend big bucks on a QB with the situation they are in.

Last edited by Jughead10 : 02-01-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:07 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would cry if by some ******* twist of fate that no one ever sees coming the Raiders end up with Smith, wouldn't that be something? Lol

I'm ok with sticking with the red rocket.

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:30 PM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Alex Smith in 2012
46.3% of Passing from YAC

Tom Brady 44.9%
was 50.3% in 2011

The more extreme guys...

Fitzpatrick 52%

Weeden 55.3%
The Pat Shurmur offense Bradford did well in but some people got ahead of themselves.

Watching the games like I did you see where the YAC comes from. Not Frank Gore and Kendall Hunter getting dump offs and knifing up-field.
He was delivering his passes on time and accurately to the pass catchers.

Last edited by ViperVisor : 02-01-2013 at 01:57 PM.
ViperVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:52 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This simply isn't true. The 49ers were a middle-of-the-pack team in terms of YAC when Smith was starting. Smith was top 10 in the NFL in air yards per attempt, which accounts for YAC. Smith's % of YAC is pretty much equal to Tom Brady over the past couple of years, like Viper pointed out.

And the Seahawks making him look bad is hardly a great example. The Seahawks made every QB they played look bad. Rodgers didn't throw a touchdown and had a lower YPA than Smith and Brady had to throw the ball 60 times to get to 380 yards. Smith played better against the Seahawks than Kaepernick did.

Quote:
Eli
Nick Foles
RGIII
Romo
Cutler
Rodgers
Stafford
Kaepnernick
Wilson
Ryan
Cam
Brees
Freeman
Brady
Peyton
Rivers
Roethlisberger
Flacco
Luck
Schaub

Those are all the qbs I would absolutely take over Alex Smith. 20 quarterbacks. I can make an argument for Tannehill, and Dalton but I won't bc they haven't shown enough upside yet.

But all the qbs listed above have either been established qbs who have clearly shown a level of competence at qb that's higher than Alex Smith, or up and coming qbs who I have no doubt will develop into quarterbacks better than Alex Smith.

This notion that Alex Smith is a top 15 qb is absolute nonsense. Just bc some qbs in this league are young doesn't mean they're not better than Smith. You would say Smith is better than Luck, RGIII, and Wilson? I sure as hell woudln't. He's not better than Cam either. Not even close. Not better than Kaep.

For ***** sake, he's not a good quarterback. Do we use our eyes anymore when we evaluate these guys?
The argument is whether Smith is a top 15 QB at this point in time, not going on the potential of other guys to eventually pass him. Foles is definitely not better right now. I could make an argument for Smith being ahead of Freeman, Cutler, Rivers, and Schaub.

It is interesting to me that you bring Wilson up because he was very similar to Smith this year. They had pretty much the exact per game numbers, with Smith being significantly better in completion percentage and having a slight edge in passer rating. Wilson was on a run-first team with a great defense, the Seahawks had the #1 defense and #3 running game while the 49ers were #2 and #4. They were both pretty much game managers this year, by your definition of the term. Wilson undoubtedly has more upside but if he is better right now is up for debate.

Flacco is another interesting comparison. The past couple of seasons he really has not been anything special, and he has a great offensive supporting cast. He seems to have turned something on in this postseason but is one great postseason weighted more than five years of being slightly above average?
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Russell Wilson is quite a bit better than Alex Smith. I am curious as to how people feel about Alex Smith vs. Matt Flynn. If you're a fan of a team that needs a QB, who do you prefer? I'd imagine Flynn would be cheaper.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Anyone with functioning eyeballs can tell you Wilson is 10 billion times better than Alex Smith. I don't need stats to tell me that.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cutler and Schaub too.

Only one who Smith may, maybe, ehh possibly, compete with is Freeman.

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:16 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
I just want him in Cleveland so that they can replace Weeden with a younger QB who's got as many years of experience as Smith. Would be so funny and just the perfect explanation for why drafting old man Weeden where they did was ********.
They'd replace a bad 29 year old rookie with an average 29 year old veteran. Good in the immediate short-term but not necessarily what they should do if they really want to compete for the division, not just go 8-8.

Although with Turner, i think CLE would be one of the 3 best possible situations for Alex (along with KC under Reid, and MIN with Rudolph/Peterson/Harvin).
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:21 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cleveland is trading for Mallett. No need to concern yourselves with Alex Smith.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:24 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

What does Smith do for Cleveland? Take them from 6-10 to 8-8? What does that accomplish?
Old 02-01-2013, 03:51 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I mean, I agree that Smith has played very efficiently within that system since Harbaugh showed up. The thing is, he's going to be changing systems and he was downright disgusting the rest of his career. This isn't a guy who gradually improved throughout his career; this is a guy who was consistently one of the worst QBs in the NFL. He was a guy who wished he could claim to be a top-30 QB. He was just disgustingly terrible, every single season.

Right now he's got a very talented team and a great coach, so they've masked his flaws. Andy Reid might be able to do the same thing in KC. If he goes to Cleveland or Buffalo or Jacksonville or Arizona then he's probably going to go back to sucking.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote