Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Where will Alex Smith be next season
Buffalo 5 4.63%
Cleveland 10 9.26%
Kansas City 47 43.52%
Jacksonville 6 5.56%
Arizona 25 23.15%
NY Jets 10 9.26%
Other: Who 5 4.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2013, 10:41 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
If we sign Alex Smith then drafting a QB #1 wouldn't be a waste. Alex Smith is awful, and he has fluctuated between awful and decent. Any team signing him without a young franchise caliber signal caller to sit behind him for a year is making a huge mistake.

Alex Smith is a one year rental for the Chiefs.
While I agree that any team who gets Smith gets him as a short term option, I fully believe that if the Chiefs take him they won't go QB first overall. Teams can't really justify taking a guy first overall and not starting him week one anymore. I could see the chiefs taking a guy in the second or trading back into the first if they go that route. That being said I don't think the Chiefs go for Alex Smith so this point is redundant and they will go QB first overall

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really don't think Alex Smith is considered a one year rental by any means.

Cheifs fans are so stuck on drafting a QB. Yet, there really isn't anyone better than Alex Smith, both in FA (Flacco won't hit , sorry) and the draft. Even next years draft class, 2014, isn't looking promising unless the Cheifs are picking 1 or 2 again for a guy like Bridgewater.

This QB class is reminding me more of 2010. The QB class isn't very strong, but Rams took a QB just to take one. Bradford, is better prospect by any means, than anyone coming out in 2013 (which isn't saying much). But the Rams didn't get the best player in the draft. Eric Berry, Ndamukung Suh, Gerald McCoy, were alll better options and rated overall better than bradford.

KC will regret taking Geno Smith or Tyler Wilson 1 overall.

Alex Smith would take Kansas City to the playoffs next year.

Last edited by bucfan12 : 02-04-2013 at 10:54 AM.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:53 AM    (permalink
XxXdragonXxX
Pro Bowler

XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I don't think that the demand for Smith will be that great. It wasn't last season. I expect Smith, Flynn, and Fitzpatrick to drive eachothers prices down.

I could be wrong though. Flynn and Smith had no very strong suitors in FA last season, but that was a much better QB class.

There were also teams like the Jets who decided to re-sign Sanchez and get Tebow and now regret it. Also Manning took away a ton of attention from Flynn and Smith.

I think Smith's value might be up from last year. He was having a very good season before he got benched. Flynn's value might be the same. But I think both will have more teams after them because of a weak draft and FA class.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxXdragonXxX View Post
There were also teams like the Jets who decided to re-sign Sanchez and get Tebow and now regret it. Also Manning took away a ton of attention from Flynn and Smith.

I think Smith's value might be up from last year. He was having a very good season before he got benched. Flynn's value might be the same. But I think both will have more teams after them because of a weak draft and FA class.
Agreed. Smith is a top 16 QB, which is better than half the teams starters in the league right now. The demand will be high. Weak draft class and really only Matt Flynn will challenge him. I see the 49ers just cutting him though. I don't think a team will surrender a 3rd rounder for him.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
KC will regret taking Geno Smith or Tyler Wilson 1 overall.

Alex Smith would take Kansas City to the playoffs next year.
First, disagree.

Second, so what? Are the playoffs the goal? Do you really see Alex Smith taking anyone to a Super Bowl? I don't. He isn't good enough.

I'd take the guy with upside every day of the week in this scenario.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:03 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
First, disagree.

Second, so what? Are the playoffs the goal? Do you really see Alex Smith taking anyone to a Super Bowl? I don't. He isn't good enough.

I'd take the guy with upside every day of the week in this scenario.
Alex Smith was 2 Kyle Williams fumbles away from doing that last year. Not his fault when your PR cant hold on to the ball.

And we're talking unproven upside. Alex Smith was top 3 in the league this year before a concussion knocked him out.

Really? You want to go ahead and take a QB #1 when none of them are considered top 10 overall prospects? Geno Smith has a grade of 1st round. Not top 10 nor 15. You want an elite player at that pick. Smith's upside is probably that of Alex Smiths. Nothing of Geno screams ELITE upside.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:50 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Alex Smith was 2 Kyle Williams fumbles away from doing that last year. Not his fault when your PR cant hold on to the ball.

And we're talking unproven upside. Alex Smith was top 3 in the league this year before a concussion knocked him out.

Really? You want to go ahead and take a QB #1 when none of them are considered top 10 overall prospects? Geno Smith has a grade of 1st round. Not top 10 nor 15. You want an elite player at that pick. Smith's upside is probably that of Alex Smiths. Nothing of Geno screams ELITE upside.
I'm really tired of explaining this so this will be the last time I do it: THIS IS FEBRUARY. NOT APRIL. If you think anything is set in stone in February then you're out of your mind.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:52 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vidae is mad

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:53 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm really tired of explaining this so this will be the last time I do it: THIS IS FEBRUARY. NOT APRIL. If you think anything is set in stone in February then you're out of your mind.
Take him about as seriously as everyone takes iamcanadian. He just doesn't know anything about football.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Agreed. Smith is a top 16 QB, which is better than half the teams starters in the league right now. The demand will be high. Weak draft class and really only Matt Flynn will challenge him. I see the 49ers just cutting him though. I don't think a team will surrender a 3rd rounder for him.
Dafuq?? No he's not, he's at the lower end of the 20s.

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:04 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutey Wooty View Post
Vidae is mad
I'm not mad, I'm annoyed. People keep saying player isn't worth pick, but it's February and we haven't had the combine or pro days yet and things are still very fluid. To make those kind of comments now is just ridiculous imo. :)

Old 02-04-2013, 12:13 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderz4Life View Post
Dafuq?? No he's not, he's at the lower end of the 20s.
Lower end as in low value or lower end as in 27-29? I really hope you don't mean the latter
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:14 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Take him about as seriously as everyone takes iamcanadian. He just doesn't know anything about football.
That's why some things I don't even bother commenting on. Now Alex Smith is a top 16 QB because he can be a bus driver on a team with the best offensive line in football by a wide margin, excellent defense who holds teams under 17ppg, and a top running game. But yea, I'm sure all his efficiency and wins that the Niners had will just as easily carry over to whatever team he goes to in free agency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:18 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
That's why some things I don't even bother commenting on. Now Alex Smith is a top 16 QB because he can be a bus driver on a team with the best offensive line in football by a wide margin, excellent defense who holds teams under 17ppg, and a top running game. But yea, I'm sure all his efficiency and wins that the Niners had will just as easily carry over to whatever team he goes to in free agency.
I think people are overrating how good the 49ers offensive line is in pass protection. Staley is great all-around and Iupati is very good but Davis and Goodwin really struggle in pass protection at time. The 49ers offensive line is the best run blocking unit in the NFL, by far, but in pass protection they are probably hovering around 10th or so.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Lower end as in low value or lower end as in 27-29? I really hope you don't mean the latter
Lower end as an there are 20 QBs ahead of him and some below that may battle with him.

Props to BK for the sig
Quote:
Old 02-04-2013, 12:22 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
I think people are overrating how good the 49ers offensive line is in pass protection. Staley is great all-around and Iupati is very good but Davis and Goodwin really struggle in pass protection at time. The 49ers offensive line is the best run blocking unit in the NFL, by far, but in pass protection they are probably hovering around 10th or so.
#1 run blocking and #10 pass blocking is an elite line, haha. By far the tops in the NFL.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Shiiiit, I want an overrated O-line that ranks top 3 in running and top 10 in passing.

Props to BK for the sig
Quote:
Old 02-04-2013, 12:24 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Lower end as an there are 20 QBs ahead of him and some below that may battle with him.
There aren't 20 QBs currently better than Alex Smith but I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Quote:
#1 run blocking and #10 pass blocking is an elite line, haha. By far the tops in the NFL.
I don't disagree but it is not like Smith is sitting back there for 10 seconds every play until someone gets open. He gets rid of the ball just as quickly as any other QB.

Quote:
Shiiiit, I want an overrated O-line that ranks top 3 in running and top 10 in passing.
Please at least read what I post.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've heard enough from abaddon to think Alex Smith is probably his bro or something

#MoncriefArmy
Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I've heard enough from abaddon to think Alex Smith is probably his bro or something
Good, rational, well thought-out point with a lot of factual support.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Calm down I'm messing with you. Are you mad ?

#MoncriefArmy
Old 02-04-2013, 12:27 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Calm down I'm messing with you. Are you mad ?
A little. I think I am being very objective and constantly get accused of being biased without anyone ever giving a reason for it.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:27 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I said earlier that I'm convinced he's his mom or wife, Rosebud also threw in man lover which is definately a possibility. There's a deep emotional tie in there somewhere though.

Props to BK for the sig
Quote:
Old 02-04-2013, 01:08 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I said earlier that I'm convinced he's his mom or wife, Rosebud also threw in man lover which is definately a possibility. There's a deep emotional tie in there somewhere though.
See what I mean? Half of the posters that disagree with me don't even give reasoning. Their argument is that Alex Smith sucks because Alex Smith sucks. Screw any type of stats or observation. Anyone who doesn't think Alex Smith sucks must not be objective

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 02-04-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:03 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
There aren't 20 QBs currently better than Alex Smith but I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
*In no particuliar order*
Peyton
Rodgers
Brady
Brees
Matt Ryan
Big Ben
Eli
Flacco
Luck
Russel Wilson
RGIII
Kaepernick
Cam Newton
Stafford
Romo
Schaub
Cutler
Bradford
Dalton
Freeman
Rivers
Tannehill

I wouldn't take Alex Smith over any of those guys, even with some of them having a down year. And yes, I know what his completion percentage was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote