Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Where will Alex Smith be next season
Buffalo 5 4.63%
Cleveland 10 9.26%
Kansas City 47 43.52%
Jacksonville 6 5.56%
Arizona 25 23.15%
NY Jets 10 9.26%
Other: Who 5 4.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2013, 12:32 PM    (permalink
H.O.O.D
Veteran

H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a 49ers fan I can't hate this deal.

But I won't buy it until it's official. And ATM it's rumored a 2 and "something similar in 2014"...could be a 3 or a conditional pick in '14, which I still would not complain about. But until it's official I won't be doing any cartwheels..I'll be taking this rumor with a few grains of salt.
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
It gets harder and harder to be a fan of this team every day. They're so gutless, from top to bottom. Any good will that Reid and Dorsey had after being hired is instantly gone.

This means they're letting Albert walk and drafting Joeckel, so we're in the exact same situation as last year. The exact same.

This franchise is going nowhere.

You're rooting for the wrong Missouri team!
holt_bruce81 is offline   Reply With Quote
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still can't wrap my mind around the hate for Alex Smith here. I agree that a 2nd round pick, especially an early 2nd, and another pick might be a tad excessive but I am sure there were at least a few of teams offering a couple of mid-round picks.

Smith is a solid starter and, if the Chiefs have as much talent as some seem to think they do, they will be competing for a wildcard spot this year.

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 02-27-2013 at 12:34 PM.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:33 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The 34th pick in the draft for Alex Smith. Huh...

Words fail me. Sorry Chiefs fans.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Because of circumstances, this is worse than the Carson Palmer trade, IMO.

So bad.

I feel sorry for the Chiefs fans. No one deserves this.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.O.O.D View Post
As a 49ers fan I can't hate this deal.

But I won't buy it until it's official. And ATM it's rumored a 2 and "something similar in 2014"...could be a 3 or a conditional pick in '14, which I still would not complain about. But until it's official I won't be doing any cartwheels..I'll be taking this rumor with a few grains of salt.
even if it's just their 2nd rounder this year, that's good value for a backup.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:35 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post

So bad.

How?

Carson Palmer was clearly on the downside of his career while Smith is in his prime. And the Raiders gave up much more than the Chiefs will do.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:36 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

So bad.

I can't see it. Carson Palmer was worse in the few years leading up to his trade than Smith has been recently and he went for a 1st and a 2nd.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:37 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

So bad.

It may not be a great deal for KC, but it's nowhere near as bad as the Palmer trade.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:37 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
I still can't wrap my mind around the hate for Alex Smith here. I agree that a 2nd round pick, especially an early 2nd, and another pick might be a tad excessive but I am sure there were at least a few of teams offering a couple of mid-round picks.

Smith is a solid starter and, if the Chiefs have as much talent as some seem to think they do, they will be competing for a wildcard spot this year.
No he isn't. He was somewhere between abysmal and mediocre for six seasons. Even after a decent season, Harbaugh did everything they could to get rid of him. Then they bench him for a guy who had one good half of football. He is an average QB with no upside. He is a slight upgrade to Matt Cassel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:39 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
No he isn't. He was somewhere between abysmal and mediocre for six seasons. Even after a decent season, Harbaugh did everything they could to get rid of him. Then they bench him for a guy who had one good half of football. He is an average QB with no upside. He is a slight upgrade to Matt Cassel.
No he wasn't. Smith only played for three seasons before Harbaugh got there. He was abysmal to mediocre for three seasons, but that was on terrible teams with terrible coaching and he was still improving every year. He is a huge upgrade over Cassel.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:40 PM    (permalink
H.O.O.D
Veteran

H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
even if it's just their 2nd rounder this year, that's good value for a backup.
Oh no doubt.

Schefty is reporting this :

Quote:
Chiefs traded second-round pick, the second pick in the second round, to SF. Niners also got another conditional mid-round pick in 2014.
Great deal if true. But I don't wanna count my chickens until they hatch...but if they do, man we are in a seriously good place in this draft.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:41 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

People really expect Alex Smith to be successful in an Andy Reid system?

He's going to be throwing it 30 times a game. Was he ever asked to do that in SF?

And you can't compare the two teams. We don't have their D or OL.

Just an awful deal. Awful all around.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:42 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like I said in the other thread. Clayton was on the radio, saying it could be a swap of 2nd rounders.
holt_bruce81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:43 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Chiefs are fools if it happens also I'll say expect some desperate team to trade a future 1st for that pick or a 2nd and 3rd in 2014. My guess one of those QB hungry teams that doesn't pick a QB in round 1.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

He's going to be throwing it 30 times a game. Was he ever asked to do that in SF?

While I agree that it is an awful deal Reid has turned **** into gold before I wonder what he can do with straw.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:45 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
They watch Kaepernick play every day in practice. It's not like he was some completely unknown commodity and he just happened to have one half of football and they decide to replace Alex. Kaepernick was probably performing very well in practice for a while, and when he finally got his chance in a game, he impressed. They think Kaepernick can be a superstar QB.

Obviously you're not getting that with Alex, but he can still be a good starter. It's not like he was Trent Dilfer out there -- Alex made plays, took care of the football, and won games when he needed to.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:45 PM    (permalink
H.O.O.D
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Like I said in the other thread. Clayton was on the radio, saying it could be a swap of 2nd rounders.
This is why I am not counting chickens before they hatch.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:46 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:

The 49ers didn't have their current defense or offensive line before the past couple of seasons and Smith was still decent. With the Chiefs weapons on offense, a very good offensive coach, and a decent defense I would be surprised if Smith isn't at least as good as he was in 2011.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:48 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The 49ers didn't have their current defense or offensive line before the past couple of seasons and Smith was still decent. With the Chiefs weapons on offense, a very good offensive coach, and a decent defense I would be surprised if Smith isn't at least as good as he was in 2011.
No, Smith was not decent. Smith was garbage. The first thing Harbaugh did when he got to town was draft his replacement. He looked good in the Harbaugh offense when they had arguably the best running game in the NFL and a consistent top 3 defense.

He won't have that here in KC. He will not be good. This is a giant waste and everyone but 49er fans know it.

Congrats on your second round pick, lol.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:50 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

Quote:
No, Smith was not decent. Smith was garbage. The first thing Harbaugh did when he got to town was draft his replacement. He looked good in the Harbaugh offense when they had arguably the best running game in the NFL and a consistent top 3 defense.

He won't have that here in KC. He will not be good. This is a giant waste and everyone but 49er fans know it.

Using your logic, the first thing Reid did when he got to town was trade for Smith. This has to mean he's good, right?

C'mon man.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:52 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Smith was not garbage. By any objective standard he was mediocre/decent in 2009-2010, arguably in 2006 as well, given the circumstances. If Harbaugh thought Smith was garbage then he would have not kept him on the team or made it an open QB competition before 2011. If he thought Smith could not lead the 49ers to the Super Bowl then he would not have been the starter going into 2012.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:53 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Smith was not garbage. By any objective standard he was mediocre/decent in 2009-2010, arguably in 2006 as well, given the circumstances. If Harbaugh thought Smith was garbage then he would have not kept him on the team or made it an open QB competition before 2011. If he thought Smith could not lead the 49ers to the Super Bowl then he would not have been the starter going into 2012.
If he sucks in KC, will you admit he's not a good qb?

Or will you make excuses for him?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:54 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

Isn't this Mr. "Shaun Hill is a Top-20 QB"?
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:57 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

I will gladly admit it. I don't have any particular like or dislike of Smith. If he sucks I will admit he sucks. But sucking by this boards standards seems to be anything short of being elite. Apparently there is no middle ground here. If Smith completes around 65% of his passes with a 1.75+ TD/INT ratio (something like 20 TDs to 11 INTs) and a 90+ passer rating while the Chiefs finish around 10-6 I would consider that a good season. That is what I expect to happen.