Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Where will Alex Smith be next season
Buffalo 5 4.63%
Cleveland 10 9.26%
Kansas City 47 43.52%
Jacksonville 6 5.56%
Arizona 25 23.15%
NY Jets 10 9.26%
Other: Who 5 4.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2013, 08:54 PM    (permalink
YoJoeBucsFan
Veteran

YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.

Alex Smith sucks and the Chiefs got hosed big time.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:08 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoJoeBucsFan View Post
Alex Smith sucks and the Chiefs got hosed big time.
Well no **** sir!

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:16 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
But why should they take a QB just because he's the best QB in a godawful QB draft?
Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Let's stop acting like the Chiefs are passing on a quality, top 10 caliber QB...Reid feels more comfortable rolling the dice with a 2nd round pick on Alex Smith than spending the 1st overall pick on Geno Smith and I'd have to agree with his evaluation
Let's even throw out the fact that I'm a Geno fan:

they just gave up pick 34 in one of the overall deepest drafts in recent memory for a guy KNOWN to be mediocre.

That's just terribad in itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:19 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
Let's even throw out the fact that I'm a Geno fan:

they just gave up pick 34 in one of the overall deepest drafts in recent memory for a guy KNOWN to be mediocre.

That's just terribad in itself.
It is a deep draft (no denying that) but it's terrible, for the most part, at the quarterback position when it comes to top end talent.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:21 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
It is a deep draft (no denying that) but it's terrible, for the most part, at the quarterback position when it comes to top end talent.
ok. let's go over what you just quoted again:

YOU DO NOT GIVE UP THAT PICK FOR A MEDIOCRE QB...who's about to hit free agency. Trading for Smith would've been fine, but not for pick 34. pick 34 PLUS ANOTHER FUTURE PICK. It's a laughably bad deal for a mediocre QB. I'm not sure how people can logically slice it any differently
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd rather take a shot on a rookie QB that may develop into a good player than trade a couple 2nd round picks for a guy I know will be average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:28 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

YOU DO NOT GIVE UP THAT PICK FOR A MEDIOCRE QB...who's about to hit free agency. Trading for Smith would've been fine, but not for pick 34. pick 34 PLUS ANOTHER FUTURE PICK. It's a laughably bad deal for a mediocre QB. I'm not sure how people can logically slice it any differently
I consider Smith to be slightly better than mediocre, and I don't consider it a terrible deal. Andy Reid likes him as a player and he has shown the ability to identify a specific skill set within the position and mold them into successful quarterbacks.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:31 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Because he's been better than mediocre the last two years.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Because he's been better than mediocre the last two years.
He was worse than mediocre the five before that.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:37 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

So Smith has been slightly above mediocre with Harbaugh as his coach and an extremely talented team and D and never really needing to take over games because of his D (outside of the saints playoff game) in case we need TACKLE's stats back.

And since Reid had success with Brett Favre, McNabb and SOME with Vick, he's a QB guru. Right.
Quote:
Old 02-27-2013, 09:38 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
No, he wasn't. He had a couple of bad years early on, but mostly average ones. He was not some mystical Brady Quinn esque QB, no matter what revisionist history you want to bring up.

Quote:
So Smith has been slightly above mediocre with Harbaugh as his coach and an extremely talented team and D and never really needing to take over games because of his D (outside of the saints playoff game) in case we need TACKLE's stats back.

And since Reid had success with Brett Favre, McNabb and SOME with Vick, he's a QB guru. Right.
It's more because he made AJ Feeley, a past his prime Jeff Garcia, Kevin Kolb, Koy Detmer, and many others look passable with his system.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

#34 and a future pick and passable is the best you got. I can't wait to watch the Chiefs offense this year. I mean hell, with a passable QB we should be able to strive for new heights previously thought unreachable!.. like 5-11.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 PM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
In 2009 the NFL avg QB Rating was 81.2
In 2010 the NFL avg QB Rating was 82.2

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSmith 2009 81.5
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSmith 2010 82.1
Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
No, he wasn't. He had a couple of bad years early on, but mostly average ones. He was not some mystical Brady Quinn esque QB, no matter what revisionist history you want to bring up.

It's more because he made AJ Feeley, a past his prime Jeff Garcia, Kevin Kolb, Koy Detmer, and many others look passable with his system.
All of those guys were painfully average in their time as starting QB's for him. Let's not think anything differently. Garcia was past his prime, but still a talented guy. The majority of these guys had decent spot starts and average strings of games. Let's not act like Andy took some average guy and made him into a stud. This whole "Andy's a QB guru" thing has gotten blown way out of hand.
Quote:
Old 02-27-2013, 09:53 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel like the Chiefs or league had to know Alex wasnt going to hit FA, therefore other teams interested, b/c if not I cannot understand why you wouldnt just wait for FA to hit esp if you were already ok with paying his current contract which I dont think he would have gotten much more than that as is. (in terms of $$$ per year)
Old 02-27-2013, 10:29 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Smith was only slightly above mediocre in 2012?
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:34 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sup bros? What's popping? Anything happen today?
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:35 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I said that three days ago, and when I said it, it was true. You want a cookie or something?
It was a little more than a rumor even 3 days ago, and I prefer peanut butter cookies when you get a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:41 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Smith has success in Kansas City I can't wait to hear the excuses for how he's still a terrible QB.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:43 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
If Smith has success in Kansas City I can't wait to hear the excuses for how he's still a terrible QB.
With the amount the Chiefs gave up for him, the only success that will matter even a little bit is a SB berth. Anything less and it's still wasted.

The playoffs aren't the goal. Or at least they shouldn't be, but maybe they are for this franchise.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:46 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
With the amount the Chiefs gave up for him, the only success that will matter even a little bit is a SB berth. Anything less and it's still wasted.

The playoffs aren't the goal. Or at least they shouldn't be, but maybe they are for this franchise.
Fairy tale land to require a SB berth for a 2nd round pick. But enjoy the infinite sadness if that's what it takes to satisfy you.

I'll be a Chiefs supporter. Hope you will be too.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:48 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Fairy tale land to require a SB berth for a 2nd round pick. But enjoy the infinite sadness if that's what it takes to satisfy you.

I'll be a Chiefs supporter. Hope you will be too.
We're very clearly giving up more than a second rounder, unless you haven't been paying attention. Not only is it a second (34th) this year, but it's a conditional 3rd next year, and it all but guarantees the Chiefs don't address QB through the draft.

All of those things very clearly are more than a single pick. If you can't see that then I'm not the one in fairytale land.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:01 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would it make us feel better if Alex legally changed his name to Geno and wore blackface to every public appearance, including games?

It's the least they could do, no?
Old 02-27-2013, 11:12 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Smith was only slightly above mediocre in 2012?
I'm not really sure how scoring 13 or fewer points in 3 of 8 games can be construed as anything other than mediocre. If you're not scoring points offensively who gives a damn how impressive your overall QB rating is.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:27 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
I'm not really sure how scoring 13 or fewer points in 3 of 8 games can be construed as anything other than mediocre. If you're not scoring points offensively who gives a damn how impressive your overall QB rating is.
Why ignore the 34PPG average in the other starts. Your point is valid, but it doesn't tell a full story.