Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:28 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
As long as he wears the right color on Sundays, plays well, and doesn't offend anyone personally, he can wear what he pleases.

Wasn't Tom Brady spotted wearing a Yankee's cap a few years back?
Wake me up when he is caught wearing a NY Giants hat and then we can make a comparison.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:28 AM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Last I checked the Yankees play baseball
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:35 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
Last I checked the Yankees play baseball
So? Aren't the Yankees dreaded by Boston sports fans? The Dolphins don't even play in the same conference as the 49ers and meet once every four years.

But since it's baseball I'll guess we'll let him off the hook. Clearly a 49ers player sporting an AFC team cap is more absurd than Boston's golden boy donning a Yankees cap

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 07-06-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:37 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kaepernick is clearly just supporting the Miami Heat.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:46 AM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So? Aren't the Yankees dreaded by Boston sports fans? The Dolphins don't even play in the same conference as the 49ers and meet once every four years.

But since it's baseball I'll guess we'll let him off the hook. Clearly a 49ers player sporting an AFC team cap is more absurd than Boston's golden boy donning a Yankees cap
Yes. Absolutely. The Dolphins are 1 of 31 teams that he is competing against. Although unlikely anytime soon, it is possible that he could be facing the Dolphins in the Super Bowl. The Yankees are never going to be Tom Brady's opponent. Tom Brady isn't from Boston; he didn't grow up a Redsox fan. I don't know for sure, but he was probably a Yankees fan his whole life. There's no reason he has to drop that just because he plays for New England. On the other hand, once you're on a team you have to drop all allegiances to all other teams in the same league. I don't care if you grew up in Philly and were a die hard Eagles fan you're whole life. If you're drafted by Dallas you're a Cowboys fan now and don't support anyone else.

EDIT: But I really don't think it's that big of a deal, just stupid to do it in the first place.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:04 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes. Absolutely. The Dolphins are 1 of 31 teams that he is competing against. Although unlikely anytime soon, it is possible that he could be facing the Dolphins in the Super Bowl. The Yankees are never going to be Tom Brady's opponent. Tom Brady isn't from Boston; he didn't grow up a Redsox fan. I don't know for sure, but he was probably a Yankees fan his whole life. There's no reason he has to drop that just because he plays for New England. On the other hand, once you're on a team you have to drop all allegiances to all other teams in the same league. I don't care if you grew up in Philly and were a die hard Eagles fan you're whole life. If you're drafted by Dallas you're a Cowboys fan now and don't support anyone else.

EDIT: But I really don't think it's that big of a deal, just stupid to do it in the first place.
Colin Kapernick didn't grow up in the bay area though. We're talking about a city's icon wearing a hat of the arguably the city's most cherished sports franchise against their main rival, whose rivalry is arguably the most notable in American sports history. To use the "well he plays a different sport" card in this context is kind of ridiculous to me. If Brady wore the hat every day would people in Boston really let it slide? Especially after the Yankees whooped the Red Sox on occasion? Just my stance on it.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 07-06-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:12 AM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

He was born in Milwaukee and grew up in California. Hardly Miami ties. And even if for some strange reason he grew up a Dolphins fan he has to give that up once he's under contract for another team. Brady has a contract with the Patriots, not the Redsox.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:23 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
He was born in Milwaukee and grew up in California. Hardly Miami ties. And even if for some strange reason he grew up a Dolphins fan he has to give that up once he's under contract for another team. Brady has a contract with the Patriots, not the Redsox.
Exactly. Brady grew up in San Mateo. No NY ties there. And he's employed by the Patriots, not the Yankees. So why is he wearing a NY Yankees cap then?

By the way I personally don't believe you have to give up your fandom for a certain team once you enter a pro league.

I won't say I necessarily like what Kap did, and it would have been worse if he donned an NFC team, or a Ravens hat, but as a fan I'm not getting too worked up about it. I will say that other sports stars like Brady wearing a Yankees cap, or Bonds wearing a LA Kings jacket back in the day shouldn't necessarily be let off the hook just because they play in another league. If I was a die hard sports fan of the Boston area, I'd probably be a little ticked my star quarterback is wearing a cap of my baseball team's most dreaded rival. Or rather, I wouldn't necessarily care for it.

Quote:
Old 07-06-2013, 02:29 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

By the way Nnamdhi Asomugha recentlly married Kerry Washington. Good for him.

Quote:
Old 07-06-2013, 02:34 AM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Basically if you're in another league you get a free pass to root for whoever you want. But you can't root for any team in the same league
Old 07-06-2013, 02:35 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Basically if you're in another league you get a free pass to root for whoever you want. But you can't root for any team in the same league
Oh I know. You've already made your opinion clear on the matter.

Quote:
Old 07-06-2013, 03:21 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think it's a good idea to wear another teams hat (in the same pro sport, though a yankees cap when you work for a boston team is a bad idea...), regardless.

People in your locker room might take it wrong and your ownership group certainly won't like it. (they pay you big money to represent the 49ers)

But, I personally don't care what hat anyone wears (as long as it's not gang related).
Old 07-06-2013, 03:59 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Why would 49ers fans buy Dolphins caps? That doesn't make any sense.
Ness, you had it right with this reaction. Why would a 49er buy a Dolphins cap? That doesn't make any sense.

The fact that it's Kaepernick doesn't make it any less nonsensical.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:05 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Ness, you had it right with this reaction. Why would a 49er buy a Dolphins cap? That doesn't make any sense.

The fact that it's Kaepernick doesn't make it any less nonsensical.
I didn't say 49er. I said 49ers fan. That's completely different. NFL players are fans of whatever they choose to be. Sure they are employed by whatever team they happen to find work with, but that doesn't necessarily say anything about their personal fandom. When I use the term "49ers fans" I'm talking about someone who is clearly a fan of the 49ers.

If Peyton Manning has a Saints hat lying around somewhere in his house, I don't think that means Broncos fans should go out and buy one. That's what I was getting at in my original post.

Quote:
Old 07-06-2013, 08:01 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm guessing there aren't too many hat and kick collectors in here. That's obviously why he has it.

I'm not a fan of him being brash about it personally, but it's just fashion.

The irony is that Alex Smith was fined by the NFL for wearing a San Francisco Giants cap.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:14 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Lol. That is ridiculous. Why can't he? He can do what the **** he wants. If he wants to support the Miami Dolphins he can support the Miami Dolphins.

Quote:
I'm goin wear what I want regardless of what you think, all you need to worry about is the fact that I grind for my teammates and the 49ers!
All 49ers fans should be worried about is Kaepernick playing his best for the 49ers. Who he cheers for when he isn't playing is totally irrelevant.

And it's hardly "stupid" for him to be wearing it. The only reason it would be stupid would be because of what people are going to think, and clearly CK doesn't give a **** about what anyone thinks.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:29 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm curious what the football world would think about a player that came out and just retired (like in his late 20s, during what should be the peak of his career) because he was tired of playing football. Not injury related or anything like that but legitimately bored of football and didn't want to steal like JaMarcus Russel did.

Like Calvin Johnson or somebody in a year or two.

(obviously, lions fans would be ballistic and NFC north fans would be glad he was gone, but outside of them?)
Old 07-08-2013, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I'm curious what the football world would think about a player that came out and just retired (like in his late 20s, during what should be the peak of his career) because he was tired of playing football. Not injury related or anything like that but legitimately bored of football and didn't want to steal like JaMarcus Russel did.

(obviously, lions fans would be ballistic and NFC north fans would be glad he was gone, but outside of them?)
It would be pretty much like a Barry Sanders situation all over again
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:32 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
Wake me up when he is caught wearing a NY Giants hat and then we can make a comparison.
A 49ers or Seahawks cap might be a better comparison, as the Giants have a bigger, more offensive connotation. (the 49ers didn't lose a perfect season to the Dolphins)
Old 07-08-2013, 03:22 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I'm guessing there aren't too many hat and kick collectors in here. That's obviously why he has it.

I'm not a fan of him being brash about it personally, but it's just fashion.

The irony is that Alex Smith was fined by the NFL for wearing a San Francisco Giants cap.
Yeah, I read somewhere he has over 200
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:34 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Most just stop trying hard rather than retiring LOL

But no, Channing Crowder did at 27 (i think). Barry was still putting up numbers, but had been in 10 years and was 30. Tiki Barber was coming off his best back to back seasons and retired at 31. Ricky Williams retired at 27 only to come back.

One of the bigger ones, and saddest for me as I was a big fan was Robert Smith RB for the Vikings. He led the league in rushing and retired at age 28 I think.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:23 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wasn't Jim Brown 29?
Old 07-08-2013, 05:25 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

As per the Kaep cap situation...

I wonder what percentage on NFL players have the jerseys of active opponents hanging in their homes?

Why the polarity in public opinion? It's just that. It was seen by the "public." We feel far too much ownership of these players sometimes.

But I'm honest enough to say I'd probably laugh at another team's QB if he did the same thing.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:37 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Eh.....the Lions owe Calvin Johnson 132 million dollars over seven years and were 4-12 last year with him absolutely dominating his position. I'm not sure it would really make much of a dent.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:53 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Kaepernick thing couldn't be less of a story. Most people don't even wear hats of teams that they give a **** about anymore, they buy the ones that they think look cool.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote