Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 09-13-2011, 01:42 AM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Big Bird's Game Reviews

UCLA Bruins @ Houston Cougars
Date Played: September 3rd, 2011
Date Reviewed: September 8th, 2011

For some reason, my recording of the UCLA-Houston game ended exactly at halftime. But, I got to see the first half and there was plenty to take away from that.

First of all, Senior Quarterback Case Keenum did absolutely nothing. He only threw past 10 yards twice, both falling incomplete. Keenum has control of the offense, that quick release, but after that, there isn't much. You can tell the knee injury affected him. He isn't the same athlete (not that he was special before) and looks awkward taking off. He doesn't properly step into his throws either, further hindering his arm strength. He is way too cautious as well. Graham Harrell was a better prospect than Keenum was. Case is a 7th Rounder in my book, and that's only because I think he is a good kid with a good head on his shoulders and could at least not get completely abused if he was a 3rd QB and had to take some snaps. No starting potential. Talking myself even more into thinking he isn't even worth a 7th Round pick...

The Houston Running Backs was a different story than I anticipated. Most know about Senior Running Back Bryce Beall, but I didn't see anything special from him. The Houston site says he runs in the 4.5's, and he seems just completely average across the board. Senior Running Back Michael Hayes, however, is somebody to watch. He played JUCO with Cam Newton, and played pretty well. He had a solid season last year, as him and Beall basically split the carries. In this game though, Hayes was an animal. A bit undersized, but runs in the 4.4's and he had a very impressive TD run. I didn't even notice it was on the SportsCenter Top 10 until I looked up this clip to show everybody. Very good quickness, nice speed, impressive leg drive, displays very good vision, good feet, and a good receiver. I like this kid as a 3rd day prospect who could sneakily help a team out with a few touches a game. Keep a close eye on this kid.

Senior Wide Receiver Patrick Edwards did nothing in the 1st half. He was shadowed by Sheldon Price (whom I'll take about more later), and just couldn't separate. He doesn't belong in the NFL. Undersized and not quick enough. Product of the system.

Senior Wide Receiver Tyron Carrier, who is about to become Houston's all-time leader in all-purpose yards, has very impressive quickness. Anyone who has watched him before probably already knows the story. Product of the system while on Offense, excellent return man though. He's very undersized, reminds me a lot of Trindon Holliday. Track guy playing football.

The guy I was really looking forward to watching disappointed, at least in the 1st half. Senior Outside Linebacker Sammy Brown looked good on the first drive, displaying a nice stutter step and a great swim move. He looked skinny though (more like 230, not his listed 240) and was constantly being pushed around on run plays. It looked like he started to give up, and on Jonathan Franklin's TD with 14:30 left in the 2nd, he basically let Franklin get away. Once Franklin got a step on him, he just gave up. Brown displayed poor play recognition as well and was constantly being fooled. He picked it up in the latter part of the half, picking up a big TFL where he came storming down the line to pop Franklin, and followed it up with two more nice plays where he put on a great spin move to slip between two blockers and then the following play, beat the tackle to the edge and was able to reach in and strip Brehaut. This game was mostly negative from my perspective, but did flash his potential and athletic ability, and still warrants a 4th-5th Round grade as of now and I'd peg him as a situational pass rusher. Really needs to pick up the hustle though.

Senior Inside Linebacker Marcus McGraw couldn't put anymore effort in if he tried. He let Joseph Fauria get away for an easy score on the goalline, but that was the only time I ever saw him out of position. He is a bit undersized, probably around 5-11, 225-230, but has legit 4.6 speed and is very quick. His instincts are through the roof. McGraw diagnoses plays so well and takes very good angles. Nice wrap-up tackler, solid in coverage. On another catch by Fauria, McGraw stuck with him all the way downfield, but Fauria is 6-8 and it was a jump ball (pretty easy to guess who came down with it). McGraw is just simply all over the field and displays good athletic ability. Clint Session clone. McGraw has also been a captain since he was a Sophomore. Speaks volumes of his leadership. I could see him off the board early in Day 3.

I noticed Junior Cornerback D.J. Hayden, a JUCO transfer with good size at 6-0, 190. They didn't test him much, but his quickness, specifically for his size, really jumps out at you. Willing tackler too as he is the one that knocked Kevin Prince out of the game. He's a kid I'm going to certainly keep an eye on throughout the season.

Onto UCLA now, I guess the first guy to talk about on Offense is Junior Running Back Jonathan Franklin. To say he is quick would be an understatement. He displays good vision, nice cutback ability, very good speed, and is a good receiver out of the backfield (numbers don't show it, but he is a natural pass catcher). Obvious flaw on him is size. Other than that, he is a good back, and at least going to be a very good 3rd Down option for a team. May have Jamaal Charles-type potential, but I'm not going to go that far quite yet. Similar to Shane Vereen. He'll be gone by the 3rd Round. Can't teach this type of quickness and natural running ability.

I'm sure everybody saw Senior Wide Receiver Nelson Rosario's ridiculous catch from the second half, but he had another nice grab at about 7:54 in the 1st Quarter. One-handed, snagged a poorly thrown ball in on 3rd Down and Long and was almost able to get the 1st down. Later though, he dropped a very easy catch for a 1st down in the 2nd. He's certainly big at 6-5 and has a huge catching radius, and generally displays good hands. He lacks quickness though. More of a WR4 in the NFL and a redzone threat. Lacks the subtlety needed to shake defenders at the line. Like I said before, may have a roster spot in the NFL, but it's only as the 4th WR on a team. Nice college player.

The guy who I thought was by far the best prospect in this game, Junior Tight End Joseph Fauria. I was excited about his potential when he went to Notre Dame, but he didn't play and then was kicked out of school. Some reports say it was for streaking. Whatever it is, he was kicked out, so you have to question his maturity. His uncle is ex-NFL tight end Christian Fauria, and Joseph has a much better skill-set. Listed at 6-8, I'd say at least 6-7, he is simply an animal. He dominated the first half. First catch was on a nice seam route up the middle that set-up the Franklin TD. He gave a nice head fake to the outside and continued up the middle and might have scored himself if he hadn't lost his footing. Later on, he had that play against McGraw I talked up, where he just used his freakish height and vert to go up and take the ball. Fauria's TD came on a Play Action where he slipped out across the line and was wide open. He showed a lot as a blocker too. Very aggressive and even dominant at times. He has the tools to be an excellent all-around Tight End. People need to seriously keep close tabs on him because he is a major talent. Late 1st-2nd Round.

I saw nothing from Senior Center Kai Maiava that made me think he was draftable. Even had a high snap while in UCLA was in the pistol that killed the first drive of the game. He is off a major ankle injury, was academically ineligible for their 2009 bowl game, transferred from Colorado because he was apparently homesick (from Hawaii), and then to top it all off, he just get suspended for drugs today. I'm not touching this kid with a 10-foot pole, even if his brother (Kaluka) plays in the NFL and his uncle is Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Major red flags and below average talent. Undersized too.

Junior Defensive End Datone Jones flashed some nice ability. He certainly has tools and played solid, but certainly wasn't anything special. Only a Junior and with the tools he has, is one to watch.

Senior Outside Linebacker Sean Westgate is undraftable. Below average talent. Undersized, slow, struggles in space, and I caught him taking a few poor angles. Camp body at best.

Anybody who liked Ras-I Dowling should LOVE Junior Cornerback Sheldon Price. Tall, aggressive Corner with very good speed and just oozing of athletic ability. I think he is somewhere between Dowling and Antonio Cromartie. He has late 1st Round potential. Flips his hips well. Need to see better hand usage and he has absolutely no interest in stopping the run (another reason he is like Cro), but his coverage skills are very good. He's a Junior so he could declare, specifically if/when Rick Neuheisel gets canned.

I really have no idea how Senior Strong Safety Tony Dye ever ran a 4.36, because he doesn't look like he could crack a 4.5 now. He played primarily in the box and he is a solid player. Finds the ball well, makes proper reads, good tackler. I thought he was a little stiff though and he is strictly a strong safety, maybe even a cover 2 outside linebacker. Struggles a bit to move laterally. He is a good football player with a high football IQ, but is going to be limited at the next level. Should be a solid 4th safety and special teamer.

Junior Punter Jeff Locke has an absolute boot. Only a junior, but is has a great kickoff guy and an excellent punter. Locke will be drafted. He has a special leg.

Top 5 Prospects for 2012 from UCLA @ UH
1. CB Sheldon Price-UCLA
2. TE Joseph Fauria-UCLA
3. RB Jonathan Franklin-UCLA
4. ILB Marcus McGraw-Houston
5. OLB Sammy Brown-Houston

Youngstown State Penguins @ Michigan State Spartans
Date Played: September 2nd, 2011
Date Reviewed: September 13th, 2011

This will be a fairly quick review because I saw very little in regards to next level talent on the Youngstown State squad.

I'll start with them though and bring up Junior Running Back Jamaine Cook. Cook is an impressive back at the FCS level. The guy dominated as a sophomore last season, putting up 1888 Total Yards, including five 200+ Total Yardage game and even a 311 game. Against a talented Michigan State team, Cook was impressive. He is quick, has nice feet, and displays very good balance. He's strong for a small guy (listed at 5-9 205, looks more like 5-8 195-200), and constantly stood out to me how hard he run and kept pushing for more every time he touched the ball. You can't arm tackle this kid because he runs with such determination, that's not going to take him down. In the 2nd half, the comparison finally came to me; he looked exactly like Danny Woodhead to me. Cook is a dynamic receiver, just like Woodhead, and just always finds ways to get yards because of there speed, quickness, feet, and determination to find a way to pick-up yards. You won't see Cook until the 2013 Draft, but I know some team is going to be just as impressed with this kid's potential as a 3rd Down Back as I am that they are going to nab him in the 3rd Day and be quite happy.

One player on the Youngstown State offense I noticed was JUCO transfer, Junior Offensive Guard Lamar Mady. Mady is making his first start for the Pens, against a very talented Michigan State defensive line, specifically in the middle, and looked very solid. He certainly looks like his listed 6-3 315 as well. There are areas he needs to improve such as awareness because at times, his inexperience did show, but not in a terrible way such as missing key blocks that lead to huge tfl's or sacks. I was impressed by his overall skill-set though. Nice knee bend, played with good leverage, nice butt, and played with a nice anchor. Hand usage could use some improvement, needs better punch and placement. But, everything below the waist for him seems to be good enough for the NFL. I'm going to keep an eye again and plan on watching the Pens play at least once more this season to check up on Cook and Mady.

Another young kid to keep an eye on this team is Freshman Cornerback Jimmy May Jr. He was being recruited by major programs, specifically Michigan, and I'm not quite sure how he ended up at Y-State, but it's a steal for them. He played sparingly, but when he was in the game, he didn't allow a completion. May looked like he had good feet and very nice hips, something key for a 6-1 Corner. Hopefully he can develop over these next few years and we can talk about him for the 2015 Draft.

Now onto Michigan State, and it only makes sense to start with Senior Quarterback Kirk Cousins. I found it to be an unimpressive performance, specifically for playing an FCS school. He reminded me a lot of Brian Brohm, except not even as clean as Brohm mechanically. I was hoping to see Cousins improve this season, but he looked simply average and like a back-up at the next level. The arm strength just isn't there and that constantly stood out. On a pass near the end of the 1st Half, he had a Tight End open and sailed it a bit too high. Maybe not a terrible looking miss to some, but it's a pass you have to stick if you're an NFL QB. It was between three defenders, fairly tight window, and he just couldn't get the velocity behind it to drop it right in there. For a senior, Cousins still makes some bad reads as well, as he forced a really bad pass to Cunningham in double coverage at the beginning of the 2nd half, and threw another poor pass where two receivers were in the same spot and both had men right on them. Not only was that last pass a bad read, it skipped off the dirt before reaching anybody, and it was only about a 20-25 Yard toss. Cousins has a quick release (3/4 type of delivery), is a good leader, and has active feet, but his arm is average at best, and he still makes poor decisions with the football. The guy looked like a 3rd Day prospect. Cousins needs to improve big time in the next games I review of him if he wants to move up.

Sparty's trio running the ball is impressive. The two that standout the most are Junior Running Back Edwin Baker and Sophomore Running Back Le'Veon Bell. This may surprise some people because I seem to hear more about Baker, but I was more impressed by Bell. For a 6-2, 225+ RB, he has very impressive feet. His vision really stood out to me. The guy is simply a savvy runner who is well schooled as a runner. He understands how to "read the hats" and makes the proper cuts. I love how he doesn't waste the size he was blessed with. The guy is a decisive runner and once he makes the read (and the high majority of the time, it's the right read), he sticks his foot in the ground and gets up field. Speaking of his feet, they are impressive for a big man. Bell can pick through the garbage and it's really impressive all the things he can do as a runner. He's a bruiser with great leg drive. The guy has the ability to be very good. Edwin Baker is no slouch though. At one point, the commentators pointed out that Cousins told them (I believe it was Cousins) that Baker ran a high 4.3 at a 6am conditioning. His speed stands out on the field as well, as Michigan State had a 3rd and 24 and they gave it to Baker, he bounced it to the outside, and got 25 on the play. The guy has an impressive skill-set. Bounces it outside a little too much though, but isn't afraid of contact. Baker has a lot of talent, and is one of the top Running Back prospects for the upcoming draft. Looking forward to seeing more of these two. I would peg them both in the 2nd Round right now.

Junior Running Back Larry Caper is the team's 3rd Down Back, but he could probably be starting a lot of schools around the nation. He received limited snaps being third in the pecking order, but tended to make the most of them, including getting in the endzone. There is a reason he is the 3rd Down guy too, and that is because he is a good receiver out of the backfield. I would say Tashard Choice would be a fair comparison for him and he should be able to crack the 4th or 5th Round.

Senior Wide Receiver B.J. Cunningham had a big game stat-wise. He's a hands catcher, and I always love that. Extends his arms for the ball and catches basically everything thrown at him. However, he is strictly a back-up at the next level. He lacks the suddenness needed as a route runner at the next level, and his straight-line speed is average as well. Very good and willing blocker too and you can clearly tell he is a hard worker, but I see him as more of a WR5 on a team. 6th or 7th Rounder.

I think fellow Senior Wide Receiver Keshawn Martin has a better chance to make an impact at the next level. Talk about explosive, wow. He had a muffed punt and a drop in the game, and he is a bit undersized at 5-11 189. But, there is a good amount to like about him. Martin is a good route runner and it specifically showed to me on two plays. Cunningham had a big catch on a 53-yarder, but Martin broke his man's ankles. Martin made a little cut to the outside, then break it to an out route, and the guy had no chance. Martin later had a similar route where he motioned across the field, continued outside to start, and then cut it back inside and got it to the 2 (play started on the 13). Martin's explosiveness is exciting, though he certainly has his limitations as the muffed punt and dropped pass are a clear sign his hands are on the smaller side. Still, I'd give him a chance in the 6th or 7th Rounder.

Senior Offensive Guard Joel Foreman receives an undraftable grade from me. It was a nice story, as he allowed Arthur Ray Jr. to start the game, as Ray has made the miraculous comeback of beating cancer to again play the game. Nobody will question Foreman as a leader, but I came out of the game with a sour taste of him as a prospect. Heavy footed, unbalanced, and stiff. He even got abused on a play in the 1st Quarter.

There is a good amount of talent on the defensive side in East Lansing. One guy who has received a fair share of hype is Sophomore Defensive End William Gholston. According to the MSU site, he has stolen Eddie "Too Tall" Jones nickname of "Too Tall," and yes, he is related to the other Gholston (cousins). Now that you know he is related to Vernon, what you are about to read shouldn't surprise you. William has insane tools. Freakish level size and solid quickness to boot. But, you stop being impressed when he goes from the bus to the field. He is a solid player, holds his own against the run mainly because of his freakish strength to be able to maintain at the point of attack, but I see nothing from him as a pass rusher. A bit stiff, doesn't show the ability to bend around the corner, and displays no hand movement whatsoever. Once an offensive lineman gets him inside the pads, its over because William doesn't know how to fight out of it. One other nice thing of note was that Sparty used a deep rotation on the Defensive Line as it was very hot in this game and I'm sure they were concerned about their big men getting dehydrated and suffering an injury as a result of that. Gholston seemed to be out on the field a lot though, and I'm fairly sure he played the most snaps amongst the defensive line. Just another testament to his freakish athletic ability I guess. Very raw football player right now who would just get stonewalled every play in the NFL right now.

I was pleasantly surprised by Junior Defensive Tackle Anthony Rashad White at the beginning. White was showing very good pursuit and chasing ball carriers down by the sidelines. At times though, he did lose his balance and doesn't seem like the most coordinated athlete. High effort guy though with good functional strength. As of now, seems like a nice rotational guy at the next level.

Junior Defensive Tackle Jerel Worthy everybody already knows about. He looked quite good in this game, when he played. As I mentioned earlier, MSU was rotating their defensive lineman a lot, and Whtie and Worthy didn't see anywhere near the snaps they usually would because of that. Worthy though still found a way to consistently make an impact. His explosiveness is just dynamic. He gets off the snap so well and shows nice awareness overall. Knows where the play is going, knows where the blockers are and how to properly use his hands. He can really shoot the gap and he is just an absolute terror. Like I said, he just consistently flashed his explosiveness. I look forward to when they get into Big 10 play to see how he handles the power running teams. 1st Round grade right now though.

Sophomore Inside Linebacker Max Bullough is a guy to keep an eye on. I think he is a bit stiff and struggles in coverage and to move laterally, but he had 13 special teams tackles last season and his leadership and football IQ really stands out, specifically for a sophomore. Should be a fun guy to watch these next few years.

First of all, I want to rave on the sophistication of the Spartans secondary and give the coaches ample credit because they do a lot of small, but effective things. You can tell that Dantonio still has some effect on the secondary, much like Saban in Alabama, because that's his niche and he is great at it. The guy I thought this helped the most that everybody needs to keep an eye on is Sophomore Cornerback Darqueze Dennard. From what I can find, he has no relation to Alfonzo Dennard of Nebraska, but is still a very good player in his own right. And for being only a sophomore, wow at this kid's potential. Michigan State uses him as both a Corner and rotate him to Safety as well. His all-around ability just stood out the entire game. Very good coverage skills. Smooth, quick feet, nice hips, and great awareness. Dennard can really hit too and isn't afraid to pop someone in the mouth. The guy was simply all over the place and I'm very excited to see how he develops.

Junior Cornerback Johnny Adams receives a good amount of hype and it's deserving. He got beat by a freshman on a 3rd down slant route where he simply allowed too much cushion early int he game, but bounced back after that, playing more press. Adams physicality really stands out. He flies up against the run, is a good tackler, and also plays Special Teams on Punt Return and on Punts. I would like to see more to give a true assessment of his coverage skills, but he looked good in this game, displaying nice quickness and a good ability to close on the ball. He has 2nd-3rd Round potential.

Senior Safety Trenton Robinson I rarely noticed throughout the game. Never got himself out of position, but never made any plays, except once early in the game when I noticed he destroyed a man who attempted to block him. He is a bit on the small side for a safety, but is physical. Need to see more of him though.

Top 5 Prospects for 2012 from YSU @ MSU
1. DT Jerel Worthy-Michigan State
2. RB Edwin Baker-Michigan State
3. CB Johnny Adams-Michigan State
4. RB Jamine Cook-Youngstown State
5. QB Kirk Cousins-Michigan State

BYU Cougars @ Texas Longhorns
Date Played: September 10th, 2011
Date Reviewed: September 13th, 2011

This was a sloppy game to start, but the Longhorns controlled the second half.

BYU Sophomore Quarterback Jake Heaps is more hype than substance right now. Not once in this game did I think to myself that Heaps has "franchise QB" potential. Of course, he is still young, but I thought his tools were average. Heaps had a nice pass on his first drive where he stuck a seam route to Ross Apo, but other than that, he was consistently either dumping it off, forcing it into coverage, or throwing it into the dirt. He displayed below average arm strength throughout this game. Heaps also seemed to be scared of contact. I counted a few times where Heaps would basically be ducking as he threw the ball. The guy needs to display some poise in the pocket. You can't throw the ball well if you're constantly falling away from throws or ducking when you throw the ball. Heaps second interception, the play that ended the game for BYU, he had the receiver wide open. Texas was playing a Cover 3, and the corner started 10 years off the ball and just went deep from the snap. The ideal throw would've been to gun it back shoulder to his receiver and it would have picked up the 1st Down. The receiver was so open underneath though, putting it back shoulder wasn't even necessary. Instead though, Heaps just bombed it deep. Terrible, terrible throw. Honestly, Heaps needs a lot of work.

I was unimpressed by Senior Running Back J.J. Luigi. The guy has good hands displays solid quickness, but nothing else. Constantly looking to bounce plays to the outside as well and seems to be afraid of contact. Goes laterally way too much. He is a solid niche player for that system at the college level, but he is an NFL nobody. Undersized, average speed, and afraid of contact. Next please.

Two young guys on this BYU Offense to keep an eye on are Freshman Wide Receiver Ross Apo and Sophomore Tight End Austin Holt. Ross is a tall and dynamic receiver. He was actually committed to Texas, but decided to attend BYU instead. The guy has good hands and displayed nice suddenness. This kid has very good potential. Holt is just a solid all-around Tight End. I don't see him as anything special, but he has good size and the frame to add more weight. Solid blocker, solid hands, solid route runner. Has the potential to be a good back-up Tight End in the NFL.

Senior Offensive Tackle Matt Reynolds I would say had a hot and cold game. I haven't been very impressed by him in the past, and similar concerns arose in this game. I just don't see the kick slide or foot quickness to succeed at Left Tackle in the NFL. I found him tripping up a few times in the game, and I even saw him completely whiff on one play where he looked quite unbalanced. He is a good run blocker though, displays a nice punch, and does a good job getting his hands inside. But, he got beat off the edge a few times and like I previously stated, had a few plays (I believe four in the end) where he ended up on the ground. Speaking of on the ground, he displayed very poor ability to cut block in this game. Reynolds also got away with a hands to the face in the 4th Quarter. Overall, I still believe Reynolds is strictly a Right Tackle on the NFL. Good run blocker, below average pass protector. Highest I touch him right now is 4th Round.

Senior Defensive Tackle Hebron Fangupo didn't start but did play a significant amount of snaps in the game. Fangupo was a 5-Star JUCO recruit who started at USC and then transferred to BYU and this is his first and final season with the Cougars. He broke his fibula while at USC as well, which will obviously need to be checked out, specifically with how much weight he carries on it. The guy is a huge. 6-1, 330+, the guy is stout and takes up space. I didn't see anything special from him in this game, but he was solid. Against the run, he was always good for the most part. He needs to improve his awareness as he seems to be playing just to where he is assigned, and not really reading the backfield. Holds his ground very well and I never saw him get pushed off the ball once in this game. Doesn't offer much as a pass rusher as his quickness off the line is average and he shows very little hand movement. I would like it if he came off the ball a little lower on passing downs as well. His snaps significantly reduced in the 2nd Half, so that was unfortunate. In the end, Fangupo is exactly what he looks like. He is a rock against the run, but offers very little for collapsing the pocket. Needs to learn to use his hands better as well because he is vulnerable to cut blocks. I'd put him as a 6th Rounder right now. Poor man's Cam Thomas right now. Could get a slight bump depending on play the rest of the season and workouts, but I can't see him climbing into the Top 100. Should be a solid back-up NT.

Senior Cornerback Corby Eason maybe a bit on the small side, but the guy plays big. He constantly comes up against the run, and displayed nice awareness in coverage all game. Solid feet and solid quickness as well. Obviously limited at 5-8 175 and is probably strictly a Cover 2 Corner, but I think he deserves a shot as an UDFA. If he tests better than expected, I'd bump him into the 7th Round.

I kept hearing about Sophomore Kicker Justin Sorensen. He hit kicks of 30, 32, and 33 in this game, so his leg was never truly shown off. Solid on kickoffs, recording 1 Touchback and consistently hitting it to the goalline. In 2008, before he took his mission, he was 3rd in the nation in Kickoffs with 33 and was 6th in Touchback Percentage as well. Leg is above average from what I've seen, but I've heard it's quite astounding. Could develop into a solid kicking prospect in the upper class of the position with guys like Mason Crosby and Alex Henery.

Onto the burnt orange and white, I just want to start off by quickly talking about Junior Quarterback Garrett Gilbert by saying I plan on never talking about him again.

Now for real prospects on the Texas team. The Running Back featured a quartet of Running Backs. The two Seniors Running Back Foswhitt "Fozzy" Whittaker and Running Back Cody Johnson, are both undraftable prospects to me. Fozzy is a skinny back with decent speed, but just doesn't stand out in anyway. Solid receiver. Camp body who is a smaller version of a former UT Back, Chris Ogbonnaya. Cody Johnson is the opposite, but still undraftable. Big bruiser, hard-worker, but is purely a short-yardage back. He gets some work at Fullback, but he is raw as a blocker and that's evident. Fullback is probably where he belongs in the NFL, but he needs work.

Junior Running Back D.J. Monroe is a big play back for the Longhorns. He's explosive and a hard runner than most would assume. He's touched the ball four times in each game so far, so there is obviously not much to grade him on. His explosiveness and speed is immediately evident though.

The new starting Running Back is Freshman Malcolm Brown. Keep a close eye on this kid. Very good physical tools and a tough, decisive runner. Reminds me of Ronnie Brown.

Also, Jordan Shipley's brother, Freshman Wide Receiver Jaxon Shipley, is a stud. Only a freshman and was really standing out. Sound route runner, good quickness, and a good two inches taller than his brother. He has more potential than his brother, who is limited to the slot in the NFL. We'll see how Jaxon develops, but I think he could start in the NFL someday.

Senior Offensive Tackle Tray Allen is below average physically. Seems to be a smart player, but is just below average physical. He was replaced in the 4th Quarter as well. Not even on my radar anymore. Plus, he is coming off a major foot injury.

The Defensive side for the Longhorns certainly has a decent amount of prospects. Junior Defensive End Alex Okafor is the best of the bunch in my opinion. He was certainly the most explosive pass rusher on the team. He is inexperienced standing up though, and that's obvious with how high his backpedal is and how stiff he looks while in coverage. But the guy is a solid pass rusher who's explosiveness makes him a constant threat. However, Okafor's production has been pedestrian so far. Needs to become a more sound pass rusher and display better awareness. He has the tools, but needs to start putting it together better on the field. 3rd Round right now because of his potential.

Sophomore Defensive End Jackson Jeffcoat is another to keep an eye on. Jeffcoat made some mistakes throughout the game, but did flash at times also. He has talent and great bloodlines, so we'll see how he develops.

Senior Defensive Tackle Kheeston Randall is a player I am not much of a fan of. Randall has solid quickness and shows the ability to be disruptive sometimes, but he has a lot working against him. He comes out of his stance too high, doesn't hold well at the point of attack, and gets washed out of run plays far too often. Looked like a 6th-7th Rounder to me. Could be a back-up for passing downs, but I don't see him as anything more.

Sophomore Defensive Tackle Ashton Dorsey might be the best prospect on this Defense though. His name just kept coming up. The guy is so quick and disruptive, the guy has some serious potential. Uses his hands quite nicely for a young guy. I'm very excited about him. And no, he is not related to Glenn Dorsey, but he does come from an athletic family.

Senior Outside Linebacker Keenan Robinson was disappointing. The guy looks more like a Safety in terms of build. Doesn't fit through blocks well and seemed like he would rather avoid them at times rather than try and blow through a blocker. The guy is a good athlete and displays very nice quickness for the position, but he doesn't fly around and make plays like he should be. Good coverage too. I see him as strictly a back-up as of now.

I was never high on Sam Acho, and I'm even lower on his brother, Senior Outside Linebacker Emmanuel Acho. He is a hard worker, but I just see him as average athletically. He is poor in space in my opinion as well, as he looks a bit stiff and struggles in coverage. Smart player though and solid tackler. I'd take a chance on him in the 6th or 7th Round because he can be a back-up at three positions in a 4-3 in my opinion (Defensive End, Outside Linebacker, and Inside Linebacker) and can contribute on Special Teams.

Junior Strong Safety Kenny Vaccaro was all over the place. High hustle guy. Vaccaro was very good at covering Tight Ends as well, as he was constantly showing the ability to jam and stick with his man. Good blitzer as well who is used all around the box. My only concern is he doesn't play the deep 1/3 much. Seems to have Free Safety type skills, but never gets to truly show it as he plays more like a Rover than a Safety. Good speed, size, and quickness. Reminds me a lot of a guy I liked a lot in Stevie Brown, who was switched from Safety to Linebacker at Michigan, and made the transition back to Safety in the NFL and had a solid rookie season for the Raiders. Right now, I'd take Vaccaro in the 4th Round because he is very good at what he does right now, but I really need to see how he does covering the deep 1/3 and having the chance to play the ball in the air. One to keep an eye on.

Vaccaro's running mate, Senior Safety Blake Gideon looked undraftable. He is just too slow and lacks quickness for me. Smart college player, but I don't see him with a future in the NFL.

Senior Kicker Justin Tucker has a chance to make a team in camp. I like he has never missed an extra point. That frustrates me a lot with college kickers. Solid leg, nothing special. Has also handled Kickoffs at UT and consistently was hitting it to the goalline in this game. Again, nothing special with the leg, just solid. Very accurate though as a Kicker. Quick from set-up to kick and doesn't waste steps (slow Kickers get blocked). Reminds me of Dan Bailey, the Cowboys current under 50 Yards Kicker.

Top 5 2012 Prospects from BYU @ UT
1. DE Alex Okafor-Texas
2. SS Kenny Vaccaro-Texas
3. OT Matt Reynolds-BYU
4. DT Hebron Fangupo-BYU
T5. OLB Keenan Robinson-Texas
T5. OLB/ILB Emmanuel Acho-Texas

Colorado Buffaloes @ Hawai'i Warriors
Date Played: September 3rd, 2011
Date Reviewed: September 16th, 2011

This was a fairly sloppy game overall. Mainly filled with Colorado mistakes from turnovers, to missed tackles, to sacks in the second half. They simply blew this game and were probably the better team. Lots of mental mistakes though.

Senior Running Back Rodney Stewart of Colorado couldn't get much going in this one on the ground. Wasn't getting much in terms of holes, tough game to grade him in regards to running the ball. Was constantly met by defenders. When CU utilized him as a receiver, his hands and explosiveness in the open field were evident. Stewart's strength is as a receiver and getting out in space. Overall though, seems like a very poor man's Darren Sproles. Very undersized, but very good receiver out of the backfield. Not nearly as explosive or fast as Sproles though.

Sophomore Wide Receiver Paul Richardson was a stud in this game. He had two touchdown grabs, both coming on excellent catches. He isn't the biggest or quickness, but his hands are tremendous and the guy can jump. There is a reason this guy was a 5-star prospect, and that's because he catches everything thrown his way.

Senior Tight End Ryan Deehan is a solid receiver, but a liability blocking. Not a dynamic receiver either and I see him as undraftable right now. Looks skinny, but has solid hands and solid speed. Average route runner.

Senior Offensive Guard Ryan Miller was quite impressive to me. Miller obviously stands out because of his ridiculous size, but I was impressed by his overall body of play. For such a big man, he is quite athletic. Very good in space and is good with his feet. I only saw him get sloppy in his footwork once. Other than that, he was smooth and mirrored very well. Once he gets his hands in on you, it's over. But, he does need to learn to use his hands a little bit better. Very good raw strength. His awareness is top notch as well. On one screen, he did a nice job chipping a guy near the sideline, and immediately turned and got up field, also showing off his great athletic ability. Makes me think he could play Right Tackle with the athletic ability he displays. Solid 2nd Rounder.

A minor sleeper would be Senior Defensive Tackle Conrad Obi. He is a bit undersized and hasn't had any starting experience before this season. But, Obi is a high energy player with good athletic ability. Displayed a nice rip in the game too. He was recruited to play Defensive End and was a solid high school recruit. Certainly has some solid tools. Maybe he can make a name for himself this year.

Senior Outside Linebacker Josh Hartigan probably deserves a look as an UDFA, but nothing else. The guy has a ton of athletic ability and flashes great quickness off the line and is smoothing dropping into coverage, but misses tackles, lacks strength, and is undersized overall. Awesome athlete, but strictly a passing down specialist. Might be able to make a team if he can play special teams.

Junior Inside Linebacker Douglas Rippy is in the same boat as Obi, just luckily for Rippy he is still a Junior. Rippy is a great athlete and is built well. Very muscular. Would like to see him get more snaps. Guy to keep an eye on as a late-round prospect for next year.

Junior Free Safety Ray Polk is a solid player. Polk is a great athlete and was simply all over the field this game. Can really pack a punch and wraps-up very well. You certainly can't put this loss on Polk, the kid played great and was all over the place. Player to keep an eye on. Very under the radar.

Onto Hawai'i. Senior Quarterback Bryant Moniz is clearly not an NFL Quarterback. Balls were hitting the dirt on simple curl routes. No arm strength whatsoever. And let's not forget he is only about 5-11 200 lbs. The commentators mentioned that the coaching staff said he was an "elite athlete" and Moniz had a very good game on the ground. I still doubt he tests well, but you never well. Maybe he could make a camp as a Running Back if he tests well. He is not a Quarterback though, that's for sure.

Senior Wide Receiver Royce Pollard was shut out from this game after seeing targets early and often. He is a savvy route runner, doing an excellent job of getting his shoulders over his feet when breaking back on curl and comeback routes. His speed and overall athletic ability are only average but despite that and his poor stat-line in this game, at the end of this game, I still wouldn't mind him as a flier. He is a good route runner and it's hard to find polished route runners coming out of college.

I thought Senior Defensive End Liko Satele was another high energy player. Average athletically, but the guy was simply all over the place. Very active, good hand usage, and again, can't stress how much effort the guy puts in. Quickness is solid enough for him to be a solid bench player at the next level because you know he will give 100% every down he is in.

The Defensive Tackle rotation on this team is deep. All of these guys have similar profiles though as high effort overachievers with average skill-sets. Senior Defensive Tackle Vaughn Meatoga was the slightly most impressive of the three I will talk about. Meatoga was the quickest off the ball and always stayed low. Junior Defensive Tackle Geordon Hanohano would get my nod as the second best. Like Meatoga, Hanohano did a nice job of staying low and his high effort was quite evident when he was downfield (along with Satele) on a big screen play by Rodney Stewart. Both Meatoga and Hanohano showed good feet as well and very active hands. Senior Defensive Tackle Kaniela Tuipulotu, Arizona transfer, along with Junior Defensive Tackle Haku Correa I would put a notch below the other too. Both just come off the ball a bit too high and allow lineman to get their hands inside on them too easily. Both undraftable, whereas I see Meatoga and Hanohano as late rounders.

Senior Outside Linebacker Aaron Brown was suspended for the game. He was arrested on misdemeanor charges for assault. I thought he was the best Linebacker prospect on this team going into the season, because he is simply an awesome athlete. I look forward to seeing him later in the season.

I thought Senior Inside Linebacker Corey Paredes was invisible this game. He is undersized and a below average athlete in my opinion. I really don't see a future for him in the NFL.

Top 5 Prospects for 2012 from CU @ UH
1. OG Ryan Miller-Colorado
2. FS Ray Polk-Colorado
3. DT Vaughn Meatoga-Hawai'i
4. DT Geordon Hanohano-Hawai'i
T5. WR Royce Pollard-Hawai'i
T5. DE Liko Satele-Hawai'i

Last edited by Big Bird : 09-16-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:25 PM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

UCLA @ Houston and Youngstown State @ Michigan State from Week 1 are up. I believe I'm going to jump to Week 2 next and have BYU @ Texas up tonight. I want the reviews to be fairly fresh going forward, as I believe it will make for better replies and conversations because the rest of you will be fresh off the past week as well.

If time becomes available or if anybody or a group of people have a request for a Week 1 game, then I will review it. I have the following games from that week:
Murray State @ Louisville
TCU @ Baylor
Utah State @ Auburn
BYU @ Ole Miss
East Carolina @ South Carolina
Boise State @ Georgia (most of it)
Louisiana Tech @ Southern Mississippi
Colorado @ Hawaii
Miami (Ohio) @ Missouri
SMU @ Texas A&M
and
Miami @ Maryland
Old 09-13-2011, 02:53 PM    (permalink
Duffman57
Veteran

Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duffman57 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why do you do the most obscure games possible? haha

Youngstown State, Houston, UCLA and Michigan State?

As for BYU, can u take a look at Hebron Fangupo, he looked like a pretty decent NT prospect, or at least he did coming out...
Duffman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:25 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good stuff, please keep it up if you have time, thanks.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great stuff!!! Amazing detail. But pick better games next week! lol :D

Colorado @ Hawaii - An analysis of the Colorado's OL vs Hawaii's DL would be super cool!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:21 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow I really love the level of detail on these games. Keep it up man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:26 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Big Bird is quickly becoming the best poster on this board.

- Ko Simpson
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:54 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First of all, Senior Quarterback Case Keenum did absolutely nothing. He only threw past 10 yards twice, both falling incomplete. Keenum has control of the offense, that quick release, but after that, there isn't much. You can tell the knee injury affected him. He isn't the same athlete (not that he was special before) and looks awkward taking off. He doesn't properly step into his throws either, further hindering his arm strength. He is way too cautious as well. Graham Harrell was a better prospect than Keenum was. Case is a 7th Rounder in my book, and that's only because I think he is a good kid with a good head on his shoulders and could at least not get completely abused if he was a 3rd QB and had to take some snaps. No starting potential. Talking myself even more into thinking he isn't even worth a 7th Round pick...
True, I do not even have him included in my senior rankings, way to much of a system quarterback, might catch on late like Chase Daniel did and get it on smarts, but not sure Keenum is that type of personality, but really he is not an elite talent and does not have an elite arm, very Graham Harrell like you said...

Onto UCLA now, I guess the first guy to talk about on Offense is Junior Running Back Jonathan Franklin. To say he is quick would be an understatement. He displays good vision, nice cutback ability, very good speed, and is a good receiver out of the backfield (numbers don't show it, but he is a natural pass catcher). Obvious flaw on him is size. Other than that, he is a good back, and at least going to be a very good 3rd Down option for a team. May have Jamaal Charles-type potential, but I'm not going to go that far quite yet. Similar to Shane Vereen. He'll be gone by the 3rd Round. Can't teach this type of quickness and natural running ability.
Ok he is talented but will have to show a lot more to be a 3rd round pick in my eyes, just looking at that junior class of running backs I would easily take possibly 10 players over him right now, for sure 7. We will see how his season turns out. Too bad he does not have Sua-Filo blocking for him. He is by far UCLA's best prospect but is on a mission currently I believe.

I'm sure everybody saw Senior Wide Receiver Nelson Rosario's ridiculous catch from the second half, but he had another nice grab at about 7:54 in the 1st Quarter. One-handed, snagged a poorly thrown ball in on 3rd Down and Long and was almost able to get the 1st down. Later though, he dropped a very easy catch for a 1st down in the 2nd. He's certainly big at 6-5 and has a huge catching radius, and generally displays good hands. He lacks quickness though. More of a WR4 in the NFL and a redzone threat. Lacks the subtlety needed to shake defenders at the line. Like I said before, may have a roster spot in the NFL, but it's only as the 4th WR on a team. Nice college player.Super talent but really hurts because he has such awful quarterbacks throwing him the ball. Then again great receivers should make average QB's look above average, but then again UCLA does not even have average QB's. Still with his current level of play one could easily take 15 players or more over him at receiver, so he is really going to have to pick it up.

The guy who I thought was by far the best prospect in this game, Junior Tight End Joseph Fauria. I was excited about his potential when he went to Notre Dame, but he didn't play and then was kicked out of school. Some reports say it was for streaking. Whatever it is, he was kicked out, so you have to question his maturity. His uncle is ex-NFL tight end Christian Fauria, and Joseph has a much better skill-set. Listed at 6-8, I'd say at least 6-7, he is simply an animal. He dominated the first half. First catch was on a nice seam route up the middle that set-up the Franklin TD. He gave a nice head fake to the outside and continued up the middle and might have scored himself if he hadn't lost his footing. Later on, he had that play against McGraw I talked up, where he just used his freakish height and vert to go up and take the ball. Fauria's TD came on a Play Action where he slipped out across the line and was wide open. He showed a lot as a blocker too. Very aggressive and even dominant at times. He has the tools to be an excellent all-around Tight End. People need to seriously keep close tabs on him because he is a major talent. Late 1st-2nd Round.Really, will have to watch him a little closer, he is that good? Like Tyler Eifert good?

Senior Outside Linebacker Sean Westgate is undraftable. Below average talent. Undersized, slow, struggles in space, and I caught him taking a few poor angles. Camp body at best.I do not even have him on my radar as of yet, not impressed by him, but Korey and Kyle Bosworth got in the NFL and they were undersized linebackers on UCLA and not real impressive, surprised both of those guys are still around but both are effort guys and will do what is asked.

Sparty's trio running the ball is impressive. The two that standout the most are Junior Running Back Edwin Baker and Sophomore Running Back Le'Veon Bell. This may surprise some people because I seem to hear more about Baker, but I was more impressed by Bell. For a 6-2, 225+ RB, he has very impressive feet. His vision really stood out to me. The guy is simply a savvy runner who is well schooled as a runner. He understands how to "read the hats" and makes the proper cuts. I love how he doesn't waste the size he was blessed with. The guy is a decisive runner and once he makes the read (and the high majority of the time, it's the right read), he sticks his foot in the ground and gets up field. Speaking of his feet, they are impressive for a big man. Bell can pick through the garbage and it's really impressive all the things he can do as a runner. He's a bruiser with great leg drive. The guy has the ability to be very good. Edwin Baker is no slouch though. At one point, the commentators pointed out that Cousins told them (I believe it was Cousins) that Baker ran a high 4.3 at a 6am conditioning. His speed stands out on the field as well, as Michigan State had a 3rd and 24 and they gave it to Baker, he bounced it to the outside, and got 25 on the play. The guy has an impressive skill-set. Bounces it outside a little too much though, but isn't afraid of contact. Baker has a lot of talent, and is one of the top Running Back prospects for the upcoming draft. Looking forward to seeing more of these two. I would peg them both in the 2nd Round right now. Bell I want to see a lot more off, clearly a good prospect but will have to start to make some big plays running the ball and should be able to do that this season. Baker is a little too much of a straight line guy for me, good talent though and will be interesting to see how he does.

Junior Running Back Larry Caper is the team's 3rd Down Back, but he could probably be starting a lot of schools around the nation. He received limited snaps being third in the pecking order, but tended to make the most of them, including getting in the endzone. There is a reason he is the 3rd Down guy too, and that is because he is a good receiver out of the backfield. I would say Tashard Choice would be a fair comparison for him and he should be able to crack the 4th or 5th Round.Agree he could be starting on a lot of teams, one could argue he has similar leg strength and power to Steven Ridley, wish he got more carries but if he is good he will play and find a way on a roster.

I think fellow Senior Wide Receiver Keshawn Martin has a better chance to make an impact at the next level. Talk about explosive, wow. He had a muffed punt and a drop in the game, and he is a bit undersized at 5-11 189. But, there is a good amount to like about him. Martin is a good route runner and it specifically showed to me on two plays. Cunningham had a big catch on a 53-yarder, but Martin broke his man's ankles. Martin made a little cut to the outside, then break it to an out route, and the guy had no chance. Martin later had a similar route where he motioned across the field, continued outside to start, and then cut it back inside and got it to the 2 (play started on the 13). Martin's explosiveness is exciting, though he certainly has his limitations as the muffed punt and dropped pass are a clear sign his hands are on the smaller side. Still, I'd give him a chance in the 6th or 7th Rounder. I think he is ok, I would not call him elite though, decent player but has to improve a lot to jump the 20 or more receivers ahead of him. I think Keith Nichol has more potential in the NFL than Martin does because of his size and strength, ability to catch passes over the middle and makes plays, being a former QB. Also nothing about Brian Linthicum? I think he is one of the better senior tight ends in the country and has good potential as a pass catching TE or HB in the NFL

There is a good amount of talent on the defensive side in East Lansing. One guy who has received a fair share of hype is Sophomore Defensive End William Gholston. According to the MSU site, he has stolen Eddie "Too Tall" Jones nickname of "Too Tall," and yes, he is related to the other Gholston (cousins). Now that you know he is related to Vernon, what you are about to read shouldn't surprise you. William has insane tools. Freakish level size and solid quickness to boot. But, you stop being impressed when he goes from the bus to the field. He is a solid player, holds his own against the run mainly because of his freakish strength to be able to maintain at the point of attack, but I see nothing from him as a pass rusher. A bit stiff, doesn't show the ability to bend around the corner, and displays no hand movement whatsoever. Once an offensive lineman gets him inside the pads, its over because William doesn't know how to fight out of it. One other nice thing of note was that Sparty used a deep rotation on the Defensive Line as it was very hot in this game and I'm sure they were concerned about their big men getting dehydrated and suffering an injury as a result of that. Gholston seemed to be out on the field a lot though, and I'm fairly sure he played the most snaps amongst the defensive line. Just another testament to his freakish athletic ability I guess. Very raw football player right now who would just get stonewalled every play in the NFL right now.We will see how he does, have not got the chance to see him play this year but I would be surprised if he is not a very solid prospect for the future. Too much raw natural size and ability. But yes being related to Vernon is not good at all, but he is much more physically gifted in terms of size though. And no talk of Tyler Hoover? I think he is a pretty solid player and another big strong defensive end for them

Junior Defensive Tackle Jerel Worthy everybody already knows about. He looked quite good in this game, when he played. As I mentioned earlier, MSU was rotating their defensive lineman a lot, and Whtie and Worthy didn't see anywhere near the snaps they usually would because of that. Worthy though still found a way to consistently make an impact. His explosiveness is just dynamic. He gets off the snap so well and shows nice awareness overall. Knows where the play is going, knows where the blockers are and how to properly use his hands. He can really shoot the gap and he is just an absolute terror. Like I said, he just consistently flashed his explosiveness. I look forward to when they get into Big 10 play to see how he handles the power running teams. 1st Round grade right now though.He handles power running teams just fine, not like it is his first game in the Big 10. Ability to hold at the point of attack and get penetration from time to time. Not many great defensive tackles out there right now, so lucky for him he could capitalize on that. Decent player but not to the level of other previous 1st round DT's. We will see how the season plays out.

Junior Cornerback Johnny Adams receives a good amount of hype and it's deserving. He got beat by a freshman on a 3rd down slant route where he simply allowed too much cushion early int he game, but bounced back after that, playing more press. Adams physicality really stands out. He flies up against the run, is a good tackler, and also plays Special Teams on Punt Return and on Punts. I would like to see more to give a true assessment of his coverage skills, but he looked good in this game, displaying nice quickness and a good ability to close on the ball. He has 2nd-3rd Round potential.He is a very good player, I agree but has a lot of competition as a junior corner though. Good athlete and makes plays all over the field.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:44 AM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Review for the BYU @ UT game is up.

Surprisingly underwhelmed on the quality of prospects for the Texas team. Some nice young talent that isn't draft eligible, but only two guys on that team I see with a chance to crack the Top 100.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:34 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Sparty's trio running the ball is impressive. The two that standout the most are Junior Running Back Edwin Baker and Sophomore Running Back Le'Veon Bell. This may surprise some people because I seem to hear more about Baker, but I was more impressed by Bell. For a 6-2, 225+ RB, he has very impressive feet. His vision really stood out to me. The guy is simply a savvy runner who is well schooled as a runner. He understands how to "read the hats" and makes the proper cuts. I love how he doesn't waste the size he was blessed with. The guy is a decisive runner and once he makes the read (and the high majority of the time, it's the right read), he sticks his foot in the ground and gets up field. Speaking of his feet, they are impressive for a big man. Bell can pick through the garbage and it's really impressive all the things he can do as a runner. He's a bruiser with great leg drive. The guy has the ability to be very good. Edwin Baker is no slouch though. At one point, the commentators pointed out that Cousins told them (I believe it was Cousins) that Baker ran a high 4.3 at a 6am conditioning. His speed stands out on the field as well, as Michigan State had a 3rd and 24 and they gave it to Baker, he bounced it to the outside, and got 25 on the play. The guy has an impressive skill-set. Bounces it outside a little too much though, but isn't afraid of contact. Baker has a lot of talent, and is one of the top Running Back prospects for the upcoming draft. Looking forward to seeing more of these two. I would peg them both in the 2nd Round right now.
If you're going to throw a "Jamaal Charles," out there, it ought to be associated with Edwin Baker. That kid is extremely fast. He is one of those rare running backs that doesn't simply break off long runs, but by running away from people- that is, by being able to see the best angle for him between two defenders, and being able to beat them in a footrace to that point...and then on til the end zone. And he finishes runs, too, and breaks quite a few tackles; that's the other thing that surprises people about Charles, because he's so slight and so fast people don't expect him to run strong through contact. I see that trait in Baker, too.

Edit: Yep, that high school 10.4 100 meter scout.com reports shows up on the field.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 09-14-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:56 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

totally agree with heaps. i hope he can turn it around.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:55 AM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calubflower View Post
If you're going to throw a "Jamaal Charles," out there, it ought to be associated with Edwin Baker. That kid is extremely fast. He is one of those rare running backs that doesn't simply break off long runs, but by running away from people- that is, by being able to see the best angle for him between two defenders, and being able to beat them in a footrace to that point...and then on til the end zone. And he finishes runs, too, and breaks quite a few tackles; that's the other thing that surprises people about Charles, because he's so slight and so fast people don't expect him to run strong through contact. I see that trait in Baker, too.

Edit: Yep, that high school 10.4 100 meter scout.com reports shows up on the field.
I never once mentioned Jamaal Charles in my post.

And, I mentioned that Baker runs in the high 4.3's. I never once compared Bell to a speed back nor said that Baker was slow.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:34 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Big Bird I never once mentioned Jamaal Charles in my post.

And, I mentioned that Baker runs in the high 4.3's. I never once compared Bell to a speed back nor said that Baker was slow.

Quote:
And who has "reading comprehension issues." ;o)

But yeah I would not compare Charles to Baker though 'Calubflower', Charles was crazy productive on Texas, Baker has yet to get to that level on Michigan State, not even close. Plus physically Baker is much thicker than Charles is, yet Charles has better quickness and lateral mobility than Baker who is more straight line.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
And who has "reading comprehension issues." ;o)

But yeah I would not compare Charles to Baker though 'Calubflower', Charles was crazy productive on Texas, Baker has yet to get to that level on Michigan State, not even close. Plus physically Baker is much thicker than Charles is, yet Charles has better quickness and lateral mobility than Baker who is more straight line.
He quoted me from the Youngstown State-Michigan State review. I didn't expect to be quoted from one review, yet have the poster make a reference to a different one...
Old 09-14-2011, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Big Bird He quoted me from the Youngstown State-Michigan State review. I didn't expect to be quoted from one review, yet have the poster make a reference to a different one...
True...however I am still dyslexic as **** as I am surprised I caught that ;o)
Old 09-16-2011, 07:40 PM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Colorado @ Hawaii Review is up.

Sorry for the delay. Hopefully I'll have another one up tonight.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:43 PM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Usually I don't bump threads, but go ahead and search 'Hayden' on this page. Noticed this guy in his first game at the D1 level.

I really wish it didn't take near death for him to get noticed. This kid is going to be a great player.