Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 10-16-2013, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
B1G released the 2018 and 2019 schedules today. Talk about planning in advance.
9 game conference schedule plus the announced ooc games should give the Buckeyes a fun schedule. Be nice to see a big home game of a home and home the years they only have 4 conference games.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:24 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
B1G released the 2018 and 2019 schedules today. Talk about planning in advance.
We're a league of nerds. Welcome.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:39 PM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
I think, barring a huge infusion of cash, the ceiling for UofMinn is a Virgina Tech level of competition during the Vick years. A national contender during the peaks, a top 30 team in the worst years, top 15 during most seasons. You just can't miss with your recruits when your talent base is thin.
Maybe the Marcus Vick years (which weren't awful by any means so that really isn't an insult) but when Michael Vick was there they played in the BCS CG.

I could see with the right coach Minnesota being a consistent 8-9 win team with an occasional 10-11 win season if they catch all of the breaks in close games. I do find it strange how the state has produced elite talent over the years, hell the Top QB prospect of the past 25 years came from Minnesota (Joe Mauer).
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:42 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Minny is going to hire Lane Kiffin...there was a ton of talk of him to there when he got the Tennessee job.

With all kidding aside, I hope to god they don't even contact him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:45 PM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
Minny is going to hire Lane Kiffin...there was a ton of talk of him to there when he got the Tennessee job.

With all kidding aside, I hope to god they don't even contact him.
They already tried and failed with that experiment with Tim Brewster. For a job like Minnesota, his recruiting ability was crucial to have, but yeah his game day head coaching was a joke.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:02 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It wasn't even the gameday stuff that was the problem, it was a lack of overall gameplan. Brewster came in and recruited a bunch of guys telling them that he was going to run the spread, and even hired a spread OC in his first few years.

He then later said that he knew all along he was going to eventually shift to a pro-style offense, but that the spread was hot at the time and he wanted to recruit athletes.

Well that only set the program back about 3 years you f'n moron. Also, nice job getting Marquis Gray here. Too bad he was totally incapable of running a pro-style offense.

He also tried to take a lot of shortcuts with academics and guys with character issues. That might fly in the South, but it mostly led to a ton of player and coaching turnover the entire time he was here.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:30 AM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you can win at Minnesota and as it was previously stated on this thread Minnesota could easily be the Wisconsin of the conference if history had happened differently. The potential and infrastructure is there. I'm not aware of the quality of the football facilities but I do know they have a really nice on campus stadium. In addition to that they have the third largest endowment in the Big 10 (the two schools ahead of them in the conference are top ten nationally), so the school has wealth. This may not seem significant but the school is located in Minneapolis where a large amount of corporations are head quartered, e.g. Best Buy, Target, 3M, etc. The capital and money in the general area of the school is good for the school and adds to the wealth.

If Glen Mason can pull off a 10-3 season and finish tied for third in the Big 10 then I think Minnesota can compete in the Big 10. I just don't know if Jerry Kill is the guy. I don't know much about him, maybe that's the problem, but he just doesn't seem to have that it factor. Also they need to do a better job of locking down the state. In 2012 and 2011 they did a pretty good job but didn't secure the state's top player. They have to quit letting Wisconsin and Notre Dame raid their state, which is obvious and easier said than done. And it's not like that state is devoid of talent either, they have the opportunity to get some really talented players.

I have been impressed with Kill's ability to go and recruit Florida the past few years, snagging around 3-5 players from the state in the past two classes. You can do a lot of good things if you can bring in some of the kids who the big 3 in the state passed on and sell them on playing right away and in a power conference. Iowa State has had similar success recruiting kids from the Bradenton area in Florida.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:59 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
I'm not aware of the quality of the football facilities but I do know they have a really nice on campus stadium.
It is pretty nice...

...for a high school stadium.

It's no Metrodump, though. COME AT ME BF!
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:16 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Meh....it's hard for me to get really fired up either way about a stadium named after a bank that's covered in ads for Dairy Queen. It's a nice place to watch a game, but there's no sentimental attachment.

That said, TCF looks great with or without fans in it. Take away the fans from the Horseshoe or Michigan Stadium and those places are absolute dumps. Good god, renovate your **** with your billions of athletic dollars.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:24 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
I think you can win at Minnesota and as it was previously stated on this thread Minnesota could easily be the Wisconsin of the conference if history had happened differently. The potential and infrastructure is there. I'm not aware of the quality of the football facilities but I do know they have a really nice on campus stadium. In addition to that they have the third largest endowment in the Big 10 (the two schools ahead of them in the conference are top ten nationally), so the school has wealth. This may not seem significant but the school is located in Minneapolis where a large amount of corporations are head quartered, e.g. Best Buy, Target, 3M, etc. The capital and money in the general area of the school is good for the school and adds to the wealth.
The amount of money in the Twin Cities SHOULD be a much bigger selling point. The problem is that most high school recruits think they are going to the NFL, and are too stupid to look at the big picture. There are tons of corporate opportunities for guys that played football or basketball at the U. The business school is also fantastic (though many of them couldn't get into it).

Compare that with Iowa, where after graduating you will almost assuredly be moving to Minneapolis or Chicago anyway, cause **** Iowa, and you'll have far less connections.

The recruiting map for Minnesota has almost always been the same. Load up on the slow white-people positions from Minnesota and Wisconsin, grab a few kids from Chicago, and fill in the speed positions from Florida and Texas. It's a formula that could work, it just hasn't yet because of more reasons than I can list.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:33 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Meh....it's hard for me to get really fired up either way about a stadium named after a bank that's covered in ads for Dairy Queen. It's a nice place to watch a game, but there's no sentimental attachment.

That said, TCF looks great with or without fans in it. Take away the fans from the Horseshoe or Michigan Stadium and those places are absolute dumps. Good god, renovate your **** with your billions of athletic dollars.
In all seriousness, the stadium does look nice and at some point I would like to take in a game there. Plus it has the backdrop of the city, which is always awesome.

Quote:
Compare that with Iowa, where after graduating you will almost assuredly be moving to Minneapolis or Chicago anyway, cause **** Iowa, and you'll have far less connections.
True story, Iowans did and still do chastize students/alumns who graduated from Iowa and moved out of state. They hate it, and don't consider you a real Hawkeye because you didn't stay to work in ****** Des Moines or shittier Cedar Rapids. Seriously, people get jobs in Chicago, Minneapolis, or hell even Milwaukee, and Iowans are pissed at them for doing it.
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:52 AM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

Quote:

Aren't Michigan's ideas of renovations painting the seats to be smaller to fit more people in their because Michigan doesn't believe in public safety?
Old 10-17-2013, 11:25 PM    (permalink
andyjo672
Veteran

andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
Aren't Michigan's ideas of renovations painting the seats to be smaller to fit more people in their because Michigan doesn't believe in public safety?
Maybe their idea is to pump more money into maintaining their position as one of the premier educational universities in the country. Something you or your favorite school would know nothing about.
andyjo672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:46 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Schadenfreude nom nom nom

Old 10-26-2013, 03:58 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Minnesota fans stormed the field after beating 24th ranked Nebraska...
Old 10-26-2013, 03:59 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
1) Licka ma balls

2) We haven't beaten Nebraska in like 50 years. I don't think we've beaten a "helmet school" since Michigan in 2005.

Let us have this.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:34 AM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Why wouldn't they? They hadn't beat them in 60 years and the Gophers have been **** since the Maroney/Barber days.

Fans are such stuck up dickheads about storming the field/court.

Who cares?
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:25 AM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel like fans look for any opportunity they can to storm the field, and in my opinion, it's done too much. I rolled my eyes when Wisconsin (who was #18 at the time) beat #1 Ohio State in 2010 and everybody stormed the field. It's just a pet peeve of mine, wasn't trying to single out Gopher fans since basically every other fan base is just the same.

Maybe I am stuck up about it.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:45 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I feel like fans look for any opportunity they can to storm the field, and in my opinion, it's done too much. I rolled my eyes when Wisconsin (who was #18 at the time) beat #1 Ohio State in 2010 and everybody stormed the field. It's just a pet peeve of mine, wasn't trying to single out Gopher fans since basically every other fan base is just the same.

I have no problem with Minnesota fans storming the field. Brewster ruined that program and just two years ago the program lost to both New Mexico State and NDSU at home. The fan base identified this year as the season they needed to see the big step, and surprisingly enough for Minnesota sports fans, the Gophers haven't disappointed.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:03 AM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I have no problem with Minnesota fans storming the field. Brewster ruined that program and just two years ago the program lost to both New Mexico State and NDSU at home. The fan base identified this year as the season they needed to see the big step, and surprisingly enough for Minnesota sports fans, the Gophers haven't disappointed.
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for Minnesota. I love the U of M/UW rivalry, and want those Ax games to be for more than just pride and a traveling trophy. I hope Goldy can continue its success this year at least until they play the Badgers :)
Old 10-28-2013, 09:11 AM    (permalink
StickSkills
Veteran

StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I mean, if you were upset about a non-top 10 team storming the field after beating the #1 ranked team, then I don't know if anything will make you happy.
StickSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:32 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickSkills View Post
I mean, if you were upset about a non-top 10 team storming the field after beating the #1 ranked team, then I don't know if anything will make you happy.
Yeah, I probably have a problem. I feel like it's done too much and students storm the field just because it's a cool thing to do. If you're storming the field in October, it better be one of the greatest wins in the history of the program, if you ask me.

Clearly nobody asked me though, so maybe I should just go back to yelling at kids to get off my lawn.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:43 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Storming the field isn't some precious sacrosanct thing. It's just kids running onto a field to celebrate.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:12 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Storming the field isn't some precious sacrosanct thing. It's just kids running onto a field to celebrate.
I had to look up what sacrosanct meant, but yeah it's clear I just have different thoughts about storming the field than you guys do. Not saying I'm right, just my opinion about it.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:51 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Well at least you learned a word. ;)