Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 12-02-2013, 11:05 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom View Post
Penn State ended the season on a good note. Hopefully getting some scholarships back next year will help shore up the defense/special teams.
As much as I dislike most PSU fans (yourself and a few others here excluded, including my friends), I can't help but like BO'B. He's a good coach and charismatic. He seems to be in it for the long haul. Good times are in the not too distant future for you guys (even if I don't think you should have a football program).
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:06 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Plus he's got an incredible butt chin.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:25 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I really hope the Gator Bowl passes on us and we end up in the Texas Bowl. The Gator Bowl gets terrible ratings, is on ESPN2, and starts at like 11am central time on New Years' Day.

****. That.

Plus I'd like to pound the piss out of Texas Tech after what happened last year.
I think it's a foregone conclusion that Minnesota falls to the Texas bowl. The Gator Bowl president/whatever has already said they want Georgia and Iowa/Michigan.

There's a 99% chance it's Minnesota-Texas Tech, as both will be filling their conference's last bowl slot.

And it makes me sad pants that none of our LBs will get first team all Big Ten (maybe Morris), but I can't really argue any of them for sure over the others. Too many good LBs and defensive players overall in the Big Ten this year. At least Scherff will be first team and if not for them probably giving it to Lewan as a returning winner, would have a good shot at being the conference OL of the year.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:55 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
So, about that..... :)

Seriously though, predictions for bowl games? I want MSU to beat OSU, just cuz, but either way Big Ten should get 2 BCS teams. Here's my predictions:

NCG - OSU vs. FSU
Rose - MSU vs. Stanford (awesome matchup)
Capital One - Wisconsin vs. South Carolina (ya, over Missouri)
Outback - Iowa vs. Missouri
BWW - Nebraska vs. Texas
Gator - Michigan vs. Georgia (2 big name schools, not so great season endings)
Texas - Minnesota vs. Kansas State (wild guess that Holiday takes TTech)
I gotta agree on these matchups. Only thing that could change it up would be Missouri beating Auburn this weekend. If that's the case, I think Cap One takes Auburn and SC drops to the Outback. Either way, works to UW's favor because I think Mizzou would be the toughest matchup for us.

Some tough games for sure. I could see the B1G being an underdog in every game unless FSU loses Winston.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:56 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think it's a foregone conclusion that Minnesota falls to the Texas bowl. The Gator Bowl president/whatever has already said they want Georgia and Iowa/Michigan.

There's a 99% chance it's Minnesota-Texas Tech, as both will be filling their conference's last bowl slot.

And it makes me sad pants that none of our LBs will get first team all Big Ten (maybe Morris), but I can't really argue any of them for sure over the others. Too many good LBs and defensive players overall in the Big Ten this year. At least Scherff will be first team and if not for them probably giving it to Lewan as a returning winner, would have a good shot at being the conference OL of the year.
The B1G rankings are a complete farce, so who gives a ****?

I LOL at the coaches list. Yeah, OSU has last had the best coach in the B1G in the 70's. They should call it the "Good job, here's you consolation prize" trophy.

Quote:
Dave McClain / Hayes–Schembechler Coach of the Year[edit]

1972: Bo Schembechler, Michigan
1973: Woody Hayes, Ohio State
1974: Denny Stolz, Michigan State
1975: Woody Hayes, Ohio State
1976: Bo Schembechler, Michigan
1977: Darryl Rogers, Michigan State
1978: Jim Young, Purdue
1979: Earle Bruce, Ohio State
1980: Bo Schembechler, Michigan
1981: Hayden Fry, Iowa
1982: Dennis Green, Northwestern (media) and Bo Schembechler, Michigan (coaches)
1983: Mike White, Illinois (media and coaches)
1984: Leon Burtnett, Purdue (media and coaches)
1985: Bo Schembechler, Michigan (media and coaches)
1986: Bill Mallory, Indiana (media and coaches)
1987: Bill Mallory, Indiana (media) and George Perles, Michigan State (coaches)
1988: John Mackovic, Illinois (media and coaches)
1989: John Mackovic, Illinois (media) and Bo Schembechler, Michigan (coaches)
1990: Hayden Fry, Iowa (media and coaches)
1991: Gary Moeller, Michigan (media) and Hayden Fry, Iowa (coaches)
1992: Gary Moeller, Michigan
1993: Barry Alvarez, Wisconsin
1994: Joe Paterno, Penn State
1995: Gary Barnett, Northwestern
1996: Gary Barnett, Northwestern
1997: Joe Tiller, Purdue
1998: Barry Alvarez, Wisconsin
1999: Glen Mason, Minnesota
2000: Randy Walker, Northwestern
2001: Ron Turner, Illinois
2002: Kirk Ferentz, Iowa
2003: John L. Smith, Michigan State
2004: Kirk Ferentz, Iowa
2005: Joe Paterno, Penn State
2006: Bret Bielema, Wisconsin
2007: Ron Zook, Illinois
2008: Joe Paterno, Penn State
2009: Kirk Ferentz, Iowa
2010: Mark Dantonio, Michigan State
2011: Brady Hoke, Michigan
2012: Bill O'Brien, Penn State
Old 12-02-2013, 01:44 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
I gotta agree on these matchups. Only thing that could change it up would be Missouri beating Auburn this weekend. If that's the case, I think Cap One takes Auburn and SC drops to the Outback. Either way, works to UW's favor because I think Mizzou would be the toughest matchup for us.

Some tough games for sure. I could see the B1G being an underdog in every game unless FSU loses Winston.
Ya, this is with the prediction that Auburn wins the SECCG. If Mizzou wins, Auburn drops to the Capitol One and SC to the Outback. Personally, I'd much rather face SC just because their fans are infinitely more tolerable than Misery fans.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 12-02-2013, 01:46 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Meyer should win COY, it really shouldn't be a debate. MSU is where they are because of Narduzzi, not Dantonio.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 12-02-2013, 01:53 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Assuming OSU wins this weekend, is there any chance that MSU drops out of the top 14 in the BCS? I think they'd have to lose pretty handily, but the possibility exists.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:55 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's possible if Oklahoma and Arizona State both win. If one of them loses I don't see it.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:56 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

At this point I can say pretty confidently that either Michigan State or Oklahoma will be in the Rose Bowl.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:40 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Lolololol at some of the all big ten picks.

CJ Fiedorowicz first team coaches. Connor Cook 2nd team coaches. BJ Lowery 1st team media. Scherff not first team media is the best.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 12-02-2013, 07:13 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Lolololol at some of the all big ten picks.

CJ Fiedorowicz first team coaches. Connor Cook 2nd team coaches. BJ Lowery 1st team media. Scherff not first team media is the best.
Jared Abbrederis over Jeremy Gallon, who was better in every statistical category and set a conference record for yards in a game.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:45 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
Jared Abbrederis over Jeremy Gallon, who was better in every statistical category and set a conference record for yards in a game.
Yeah, totally ludicrous. I won't even bother analyzing the list, it's always been a list of "everyone gets a trophy so they don't feel like losers" type of system.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:58 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
Yeah, totally ludicrous. I won't even bother analyzing the list, it's always been a list of "everyone gets a trophy so they don't feel like losers" type of system.
Participation ribbons!!!!!

Also, I just realized how awesome the Big Ten west is next year. Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, jNW, Purdon't, Nebraska, and Minnesota. It's like the Big XII south all over again...........

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 12-02-2013, 11:02 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
I agree Gallon probably should have been taken over Abby, but I think it's closer than you'd imagine. Gallon only had 60 more all purpose yards and both had 9 total TDs.

Like you guys said, these all conference teams are always a joke anyways. People love Abbrederis because he's a got the Jordy Nelson/White Receiver factor.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:37 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Borland over Shazier for LB of the year is funny.

Shazier: 85 solo tackles, 123 total tackles, 22 tfls, 7 sacks, 4 ffs
Borland: 64 solo, 102 total, 8.5 tfls, 4 sacks, 1 ff

stats aren't close. one is a butkus finalist and it ain't Borland.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:19 AM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post

Yeah, I can't really defend that one. The only thing I can think of is that they were trying to give Borland some recognition since Shazier already has it as a Butkus finalist and a likely 1st or 2nd round draft pick.

On that note, I think Borland really should have been a Butkus finalist. He put up almost identical numbers to C.J. Mosley in essentially 2 less games.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:26 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post

Hell, look at James Morris stats compared to Borland:

98 tackles (only 46 solo), 14.5 TFL, 5 sacks, 2ff, 4 INTs

Or let's look at Anthony Hitchens:

102 tackles (47 solo), 20 TFL, 3 sacks, 2 ff, 1 INT

Borland is a really good LB no doubt, but he didn't even have the clear cut 2nd best season in the conference, let alone being close to the best.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 12-03-2013, 09:39 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Borland is better than either Iowa linebacker don't be a silly boy.

Personally I think he's the best linebacker in the B1G.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:39 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

But whatever cause Minnesota got three guys on the 1st and 2nd teams and six honorable mentions, which is probably the most since the automobile or something.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:45 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
As much as I dislike most PSU fans (yourself and a few others here excluded, including my friends), I can't help but like BO'B. He's a good coach and charismatic. He seems to be in it for the long haul. Good times are in the not too distant future for you guys (even if I don't think you should have a football program).
Not to mention a stud QB who's going to get better for at least two more years.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:01 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Borland is better than either Iowa linebacker don't be a silly boy.

Personally I think he's the best linebacker in the B1G.
Never said he wasn't. Reading comprehension professor, reading comprehension...

I would agree he's the best, but he didn't have the best season which is what the awards should be given for.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 12-03-2013, 10:02 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
Not to mention a stud QB who's going to get better for at least two more years.
Is there a good nickname for Hackenberg yet? He needs a good nickname, because he is super happy fun time at QB.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 12-03-2013, 10:03 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Is there a good nickname for Hackenberg yet? He needs a good nickname, because he is super happy fun time at QB.
PSU fans just call him Hack. Not too exciting lol.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:49 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

PSU's LB coach Ron Vanderlinden and QB coach Charlie Fisher won't return.

This is actually pretty big news.

Vandy was arguably the best in the country (certainly one of the best).

Fisher has done an excellent job in his 2 years on the job also imo. McGloin is starting in the NFL and Hack is looking like a stud.

I wonder if both have bigger jobs lined up somewhere else.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote