Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-04-2013, 02:38 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMfootball85 View Post
OU Fans started the mantra That Jones sucked and couldnt deal with pressure and the media picked it up and it stuck with Him... I have watched his games it is over literally a hand full of playsThe media has him ranked as a 3-4 guy... GM's I bet have him higher. Answer me this He threw 2183 times in 4 years almost as much as Luck and RG111 put together had 63% completion 16647 yards 123 td's and 52 int's with 54 sacks... DId he have no pressure?? Big 12 playing nationallly ranked teams ..... How could he do so well if he was so bad at pressure... RG111 only had around 1100 attempts in his college career and took 79 Sacks... No wonder he threw so few int's and has such a high completion percentage... (Sacks equals punts and turn overs Landry should have just taken the sacks but he didnt'
Sacks equal a lost down. Not every sack is a turnover or happens on 3rd down and forces a punt. A good QB can come back on the very next play and negate a sack on the previous play, like Luck and Griffin did all the time in college.

Landry Jones lower sack number per attempts is meaningless if you're using it to argue he's good under pressure.

The fact that Bob Stoops took the ball out of Landry Jones' hands in the redzone in 2011 and 2012 and gave it to Blake Bell to run it is just embarrassing.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bolt View Post
No, not the case with Gholston. Mayock, Kiper, they were all over him. There was a complete love fest going on. The Jets were making solid picks at that time, so I don't think it was a case of bad GMing moreso than a groupthink love affair with this guy who looked like a miniature incredible Hulk. Many people had this body builder rated above the pure football player, Chris Long.
I still say it is very hard to tell. The great GM's will never attack a prospect they feel will fail because they are praying somebody takes him leaving a better player for themselves, so they are either mum on the subject or will actually say good things about him as a smokescreen.
The great GM's strength lies in their ability in an interview, to look inside a prospect and tell if he has what it takes to be successful, something all of us never have an opportunity to do. I seriously doubt that all the better GM's didn't see Gholston's weaknesses and would have picked him if he had fallen to them. Of course, there is no way of ever knowing. Still it always amazes me how many flops happen to certain GM's while others consistently have decent drafts.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:46 PM    (permalink
NMfootball85
Rookie

NMfootball85 is a cocksman.NMfootball85 is a cocksman.NMfootball85 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
"Comes up small on the big stage" is a completely vague and nebulous concept that ultimately means nothing.

John Elway was accused of "coming up small" despite consistently winning regular season games for most of his career until he won two Super Bowls in his late 30s.

Joe Flacco was accused of "coming up small" despite consistently winning games in the regular season until recently.

I'm a firm believer that consistency is far more valuable as a projective tool than "winning big games". Because winning games is often about lucky bounces in a play or two. Consistent winning over a long stretch of time is about talent and preparation.

At Oklahoma, Landry Jones consistently won 10+ games every year. He put up good completion % (63%+ last three years) and threw 38, 29, and 30 TDs in his last three years. He had a Yards Per Attempt of just under 8.0 consistently in his last three years.

That, to me, is the sign of a consistently good QB. If he a few lucky bounces fall his way, he might have won a title at Oklahoma, but he didn't. When he gets drafted into the NFL he'll be consistently good as well, and that's all you can ask of your QB in the NFL. Whether he wins a Super Bowl or not will be about how good his defense will be, and how lucky he gets in the playoffs.
I totally agree with You about Jones... I think the sports media picked up on the attitude of a lot of OU fans about Jones because He didn't win a National Championship.. and made a couple of critical mistakes... What they don't realize is you dont win National Championships with a 50th Ranked defense.. At OU it is National championship or bust.. Jones averaged 314 yards per game in 4 years over all his games... Stats aren't all there is but they Shouldnt totally be discounted either.. They dont fit the montra reputation that people have about him.. Either he was never pressured or does fine with pressure.. Most people dont know that Landry threw 2183 passing in collage.. RG111 and Andrew Luck threw for 2300 combined.. Landry's ratio of sacks to ints' is the same as lucks.. when you account for twice the throws. RG111 took 79 sacks for his 1100 attempts ... He had a high percentage completion rate rate low interception rate.. Makes me wonder if he didnt just take the sack.. Throwing the ball away is an attempt that counts against you and trying to complete the pass could result in an INT.. but taking the sack isnt any better at dealing with pressure.. Your team has to punt and it results in a turnover...

I am from NM and went to the same High School as Jones..SO yes I am a biased homer. In High School in 2.years he threw for 7000 yards and 84 tds... two state championships.. He is getting Screwed right now by the sports media.. Its like he's being punished.. the Lewin forecast and George Whitfeilds opinion shouldnt be ignored... Four years of averaging 10 wins 4161 yards a year with 30 td's a year.. 12 int's 12 sacks 575 attempts and 63% completion What people forget is out of the gun a 10 yard completion is a 20 yard pass. His arm is that good.. How he can be ranked 10th or 8th and be talked about as a mid round back up... is ridiculous.. but GM's may see what we see.
NMfootball85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:50 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
The fact that Bob Stoops took the ball out of Landry Jones' hands in the redzone in 2011 and 2012 and gave it to Blake Bell to run it is just embarrassing.
No it isn't. Stanford ran the Wildcat while Luck was there. Percy Harvin lined up at QB at times even when Tebow was there. In college, good QBs get taken out all the time. They put in Bell because it was almost an automatic TD within two yards. Would you criticize Jones if rather than Bell running it in, he instead handed it off to a fullback? Because that is the same thing only less effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:08 PM    (permalink
NMfootball85
Rookie

NMfootball85 is a cocksman.NMfootball85 is a cocksman.NMfootball85 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Sacks equal a lost down. Not every sack is a turnover or happens on 3rd down and forces a punt. A good QB can come back on the very next play and negate a sack on the previous play, like Luck and Griffin did all the time in college.

Landry Jones lower sack number per attempts is meaningless if you're using it to argue he's good under pressure.

Of course not every sack results in a punt but it makes it a lot more likely.. I am sorry but "Just taking the sack" Doesnt mean you handle pressure better than if you try to get rid of it and throw an Int.. throwing it away reduces your completion percentage... but it doesnt win games and it doesnt score TD's so yes the few plays were Jones didnt just take the sack and Screwed up don't equate with 2183 attempts 63% completion and 16646 yards 123td and being so bad at pressure he cant make it in the NFL... to do that good and be bad when pressured he would have never had to have been pressured... When you throw it 550 times a year you will be pressured a lot..

Blake Bell was good and had 11 touchdowns last year.. I dont blame stoops for letting bell Run it but he sure didnt let bell throw it... Landry still averaged 30 passing td's a year despite Blake bell in the red zone...
Old 03-04-2013, 03:23 PM    (permalink
G Mobile
Veteran

G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I honestly just see him as a system guy. He also isn't nearly as good as Bradford and Bradford isn't doing all that great in the NFL.

All the stats in the world don't make Luck and Jones even in the same zip code as prospects.
G Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:42 PM    (permalink
NMfootball85
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Well, if it comes down to judging QB's and who I think have a lot more knowledge and judgment, I'll rely on pro scouts and GM's opinions over yours, everyday of the week, especially when I can see for myself the same weaknesses they are mentioning. You might think they aren't that noticeable, but IMO, they standout by quite a wide margin in Jones' case.

If we were arguing about a ranking and I hated Jones and you loved him and there were definitely scouts and GM's who loved Jones, I would think my argument was ridiculous, since it was strictly based on my opinion with little support from those who are paid to judge, but in this case, it is you who have zero support from scouts and GM's so I think you need to ask yourself why, and maybe if you go back over Jones' film you can really learn from the experience and see why Jones is getting so little love. Forget the stats and look at the player under stress and learn from the experience.
In your other post you said how Gm's are tight lipped about prospects around draft time and dont always reveal how they feel or may say like a player when they don't and vis versa I think this could be the case with Jones.. Mayock has inside information and put Jones as number 5 for a reason.. He doesnt want to look like a fool when Jones is #2 or #3 qb taken.. The montra against Jones is not GM's and Scouts but sports media and they got it from the impossible expectations of OU Fans.. Question Explain to me how jones could suck so bad yet put up the numbers he did.. first he threw it 2183 times twice as much as RG111 and Andrew Luck did... thats twice as many pass rushes yet he completed 66% last year and an average of 63% and had average int's and average sacks... what you say about his film is only a few plays here and there.. Cause you dont have three 4000 yards seasons in a row and suck.... GM's will like him Hes a worker and a character guy very religious like tebow. I see him going 1st or second round
Old 03-04-2013, 03:48 PM    (permalink
NMfootball85
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Mobile View Post
I honestly just see him as a system guy. He also isn't nearly as good as Bradford and Bradford isn't doing all that great in the NFL.

All the stats in the world don't make Luck and Jones even in the same zip code as prospects.
If he were 6'1 and no arm stregnth yes you could say that I would say you are right.. but he is 6'4 and as much of a rocket arm as glennon or brey.. Sorry but performance and winning against nationally ranked teams on a consistent basis should count.. he is way underrated... he trew twice as many balls as either luck or RG111 and close to their performance... 63% what would lucks completion be if He had 2183 attempts...
Old 03-04-2013, 07:02 PM    (permalink
NMfootball85
Rookie

Scouts INC top 100 3/3/13 Has Landry as the 3rd QB at 39 IF its true then there is a huge difference at what GM's think and the Media there as to be some inside info.. Can any one verify this list... I am not an espn insider

39 is where Bruce Arians is picking in Arizona He Knows QB's The list has Geno at 19 and Barkly at 34

Scouts Inc. - Top 100 overall 3/3/13....
Click the link for player profiles and commentary.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...3&refresh=true

* - underclassman

1. Luke Joeckel* T Texas A&M
2. Sharrif Floyd* DT Florida
3. Dee Milliner* CB Alabama
4. Eric Fisher* T Central Michigan
5. Chance Warmack G Alabama

6. Star Lotulelei DT Utah
7. Dion Jordan DE Oregon
8. Ezekiel Ansah* DE BYU
9. Barkevious Mingo* DE LSU
10. Lane Johnson* T Oklahoma

11. Jonathan Cooper G North Carolina
12. Kenny Vaccaro S Texas
13. Alec Ogletree* ILB Georgia
14. Bjoern Werner* DE Florida St.
15. D.J. Fluker* T Alabama

16. Sheldon Richardson* DT Missouri
17. Tavon Austin WR West Virginia
18. Sylvester Williams DT North Carolina
19. Geno Smith QB West Virginia
20. Jarvis Jones* OLB Georgia

21. Keenan Allen* WR California
22. Tyler Eifert TE Notre Dame
23. Johnathan Jenkins DT Georgia
24. Eddie Lacy* RB Alabama
25. Manti Te'o ILB Notre Dame

26. Kawann Short DT Purdue
27. Justin Hunter* WR Tennessee
28. Zach Ertz* TE Stanford
29. Cordarrelle Patterson* WR Tennessee
30. Kevin Minter* ILB LSU

31. Blidi Wreh-Wilson* CB Connecticut
32. Desmond Trufant CB Washington
33. Damontre Moore* DE Texas A&M
34. Matt Barkley QB USC
35. Sam Montgomery* DE LSU

36. Justin Pugh T Syracuse
37. Cornellius Carradine DE Florida St.
38. Manelik Watson* T Florida St.
39. Landry Jones QB Oklahoma
40. Xavier Rhodes8 CB Florida St.

41. Travis Frederick* C Wisconsin
42. Ryan Nassib QB Syracuse
43. Arthur Brown ILB Kansas St.
44. Quinton Patton* WR Lousiana Tech
45. Khaseem Greene OLB Rutgers

46. Kyle Long* G Oregon
47. Brandon Williams* DT Missouri Southern St.
48. Gavin Escobar* TE San Diego St.
49. Terrance Williams WR Baylor
50. Aaron Dobson WR Marshall

51. Datone Jones* DE UCLA
52. Matt Elam* S Florida
53. Jonathan Cyprien* S Florida International
54. Johnthan Banks CB Mississippi St.
55. Johnathan Hankins* DT Ohio St.

56. Larry Warford G Kentucky
57. Robert Woods* WR USC
58. D.J. Hayden* CB Houston
59. Margus Hunt* DE SMU
60. DeAndre Hopkins* WR Clemson

61. Sio Moore* OLB Connecticut
62. Tyler Wilson QB Arkansas
63. Corey Lemonier* DE Auburn
64. Jamar Taylor* CB Boise St.
65. Jordan Reed* TE Florida

66. Jesse Williams DT Alabama
67. Travis Kelce* TE Cincinnati
68. Montee Ball RB Wisconsin
69. Vance McDonald* TE Rice
70. Logan Ryan* CB Rutgers

71. Mike Glennon QB North Carolina St.
72. D.J. Swearinger* S South Carolina
73. Dallas Thomas G Tennessee
74. Kiko Alonso* OLB Oregon
75. Marc Anthony* CB California

76. Markus Wheaton WR Oregon St.
77. Kevin Reddick ILB North Carolina
78. Brandon Jenkins OLB Florida St.
79. Eric Reid* S LSU
80. Le'Veon Bell* RB Michigan St.

81. Tyler Bray* QB Tennessee
82. Terron Armstead* T Arkansas-Pine Bluff
83. Oday Aboushi G Virginia
84. Brian Schwenke* C California
85. David Amerson* CB North Carolina St.

86. Andre Ellington RB Clemson
87. E.J. Manuel QB Florida St.
88. Akeem Spence* DT Illinois
89. Stedman Bailey* WR West Virginia
90. Robert Alford* CB Southeastern Louisiana

91. Brennan Williams T North Carolina
92. Brian Winters G Kent St.
93. Steve Williams* CB California
94. Bennie Logan* DT LSU
95. Giovani Bernard* RB North Carolina

96. B.W. Webb* CB William & Mary
97. Cornelius Washington DE Georgia
98. Jordan Poyer CB Oregon St.
99. Jawan Jamison* RB Rutgers
100. Jordan Mills* T Lousiana Tech
Old 03-04-2013, 07:17 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
No it isn't. Stanford ran the Wildcat while Luck was there. Percy Harvin lined up at QB at times even when Tebow was there. In college, good QBs get taken out all the time. They put in Bell because it was almost an automatic TD within two yards. Would you criticize Jones if rather than Bell running it in, he instead handed it off to a fullback? Because that is the same thing only less effective.

You're exaggerating. Luck had the ball in his hands on the most critical possessions for Stanford, especially in the redzone. Harbaugh didn't routinely pull him for a wildcat QB to come in and run the football.

Big time college QBs don't come off the field from 20 yards in on scoring opportunities. THey just don't. The situation with Landry Jones and Blake Bell was bizarre to me.

I think Urban Meyer did it with Leak when Tebow was a freshman, but everyone knew that Tebow was Meyer's hand selected savior of the program. He inherited Leak and treated him as such.

Jones was taken out almost all the time in the redzone in 2011 and 2012. That's not normal protocol for a Stoops offense.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:34 PM    (permalink
NMfootball85
Rookie

Quote:
You're exaggerating. Luck had the ball in his hands on the most critical possessions for Stanford, especially in the redzone. Harbaugh didn't routinely pull him for a wildcat QB to come in and run the football.

Big time college QBs don't come off the field from 20 yards in on scoring opportunities. THey just don't. The situation with Landry Jones and Blake Bell was bizarre to me.

I think Urban Meyer did it with Leak when Tebow was a freshman, but everyone knew that Tebow was Meyer's hand selected savior of the program. He inherited Leak and treated him as such.

Jones was taken out almost all the time in the redzone in 2011 and 2012. That's not normal protocol for a Stoops offense.
I dont see it as a knock on Jones.. The run game got bogged down in the Red zone some.. It hurt Jones TD's but when they were closer it was more effective... Blake is a more of a Dual threat QB but they sure didnt let him throw it at all..
Old 03-06-2013, 10:35 AM    (permalink
jtcharger24
Rookie

jtcharger24 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Landry is weak, and crumbles whenever the heat is on him. He is as talented as anybody in the country and perhaps if he is given a few years to sit with a great QB coach (and possibly a sports psychologist) that talent could be put to good use in the NFL.

As of right now, though, he is in no way a leader and doesn't have the fortitude to step up in the pocket and make the throws that a QB needs to make under pressure.

He was fortunate enough to play on some pretty good teams, in a QB friendly system. Thats why he won so many games, and thats why his numbers are impressive. When he went up against teams with enough defensive talent to not get blown off the field, he generally did not look good.

This is coming from someone who is a huge OU fan, and has seen every one of his snaps over the course of his college career (in addition to watching all of his interviews and things of that nature).

Having said all that, he was a good college QB and OU will probably miss him big time this year. He just doesn't have the toughness or mentality to be a successful NFL QB in my opinion.

Last edited by jtcharger24 : 03-06-2013 at 10:38 AM.
jtcharger24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:27 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I still say it is very hard to tell. The great GM's will never attack a prospect they feel will fail because they are praying somebody takes him leaving a better player for themselves, so they are either mum on the subject or will actually say good things about him as a smokescreen.
The great GM's strength lies in their ability in an interview, to look inside a prospect and tell if he has what it takes to be successful, something all of us never have an opportunity to do. I seriously doubt that all the better GM's didn't see Gholston's weaknesses and would have picked him if he had fallen to them. Of course, there is no way of ever knowing. Still it always amazes me how many flops happen to certain GM's while others consistently have decent drafts.
Okay, so wasn't Pioli considered to be a "great" GM? Didn't he pick Tyson Jackson? Most GMs are not really great GMs. There is literally a handful of them.
Black Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:28 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
Yes. If the QB could be trusted, he'd have the ball in that situation. The fact of the matter is Jones was replaced inside 10.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
In your other post you said how Gm's are tight lipped about prospects around draft time and dont always reveal how they feel or may say like a player when they don't and vis versa I think this could be the case with Jones.. Mayock has inside information and put Jones as number 5 for a reason.. He doesnt want to look like a fool when Jones is #2 or #3 qb taken.. The montra against Jones is not GM's and Scouts but sports media and they got it from the impossible expectations of OU Fans.. Question Explain to me how jones could suck so bad yet put up the numbers he did.. first he threw it 2183 times twice as much as RG111 and Andrew Luck did... thats twice as many pass rushes yet he completed 66% last year and an average of 63% and had average int's and average sacks... what you say about his film is only a few plays here and there.. Cause you dont have three 4000 yards seasons in a row and suck.... GM's will like him Hes a worker and a character guy very religious like tebow. I see him going 1st or second round
The same way Jason White put up the numbers he did and sucked so bad.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:37 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcharger24 View Post
Landry is weak, and crumbles whenever the heat is on him. He is as talented as anybody in the country and perhaps if he is given a few years to sit with a great QB coach (and possibly a sports psychologist) that talent could be put to good use in the NFL.

As of right now, though, he is in no way a leader and doesn't have the fortitude to step up in the pocket and make the throws that a QB needs to make under pressure.

He was fortunate enough to play on some pretty good teams, in a QB friendly system. Thats why he won so many games, and thats why his numbers are impressive. When he went up against teams with enough defensive talent to not get blown off the field, he generally did not look good.

This is coming from someone who is a huge OU fan, and has seen every one of his snaps over the course of his college career (in addition to watching all of his interviews and things of that nature).

Having said all that, he was a good college QB and OU will probably miss him big time this year. He just doesn't have the toughness or mentality to be a successful NFL QB in my opinion.
And there you have it from a clear headed OU fan. This should wrap things up nicely.

On a side note, it's curious to me how when white QBs have physical skills to play the position but come up short, you almost never here comments such as "He's a headcase" or "He has to improve on the mental aspects of the game." I think what the poster said about Landry is completely on point, he needs to learn from a vet at the position and also see sports psychologist. I have seen Landry Jones flat out give up on plays in the moment. Late game 3rd and 4th down plays in which you could tell he really didn't believe the pass would be a completion, but he wanted to get the play over with.

Last edited by Black Bolt : 03-06-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:40 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
stuff, wow big college stats
I'm sorry...but you've been arguing that a QB can't be a sucky prospect if he put up big stats in college. That's just silly talk. Almost any of us can name a hundred college QBs with great stats that were garbage prospects.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:49 AM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
I'm sorry...but you've been arguing that a QB can't be a sucky prospect if he put up big stats in college. That's just silly talk. Almost any of us can name a hundred college QBs with great stats that were garbage prospects.
I don't think that stats guarantee NFL performance because NOTHING guarantees NFL success.

Having said that, great college stats coupled with great physical tools (height / arm strength) increase the odds that a prospect will be a great NFL player.

Not having those stats or physical tools (anyone with less than 60% completion in college, anyone who has a noodle arm like Kellen Moore) are huge red flags that should almost disqualify someone from being a top QB prospect. For example, any GM that takes Mike Glennon (due to low completion % in college) any higher than the 4th round is probably an idiot.

Whereas, maybe you don't like Landry Jones as a top-10 QB prospect, but to consider him worse than say a 2nd round prospect is just asinine based on all of those odds-increasing stats and physical tools.
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
I don't think that stats guarantee NFL performance because NOTHING guarantees NFL success.

Having said that, great college stats coupled with great physical tools (height / arm strength) increase the odds that a prospect will be a great NFL player.

Not having those stats or physical tools (anyone with less than 60% completion in college, anyone who has a noodle arm like Kellen Moore) are huge red flags that should almost disqualify someone from being a top QB prospect. For example, any GM that takes Mike Glennon (due to low completion % in college) any higher than the 4th round is probably an idiot.

Whereas, maybe you don't like Landry Jones as a top-10 QB prospect, but to consider him worse than say a 2nd round prospect is just asinine based on all of those odds-increasing stats and physical tools.
IMO, he is a 3rd rounder that I personally would not consider as anything more than a develpmental prospect/backup. Yeah, he does have the arm and size is not a problem. But how he buckles under pressure is alarming. And it's not just physical pressure, it's the mental pressure of the moment. Stats aside, he did not look good at all against equal competition in late came situations. You no what he is going to get a heavy does of in the NFL? Equal competition and a lot of late game situations in which he will be expected to be the difference. I don't think he is mentall or physically tough to play QB at a high level in the NFL based on observation, not stats.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Landry Jones is not an NFL QB. He lacks natural QB instincts and by that I mean he has no clue what to do when plays break down or progressions within the play don't work out. That is why His JR year with Broyles they designed the entire offense to go through Broyles to make his progressions easier so he would always know where to go. That is also why that season fell apart when Broyles got hurt.

He won't be able to translate to the NFL because he panics too much when things break down within the play he needs everything to go perfectly. It is easy to get in love with his size, numbers, but he won't be able to cut it as a pro.

Last edited by Menardo75 : 03-06-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Landry Jones is not an NFL QB. He lacks natural QB instincts and by that I mean he has no clue what to do when plays break down or progressions within the play don't work out. That is why His JR year with Broyles the designed the entire offense to go through Broyles to make his progressions easier so he would always know where to go. That is also why that season fell apart when Broyles got hurt.

He won't be able to translate to the NFL because he panics too much when things break down within the play he needs everything to go perfectly. It is easy to get in love with his size, numbers, but he won't be able to cut it as a pro.
Well said.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Landry Jones is not an NFL QB. He lacks natural QB instincts and by that I mean he has no clue what to do when plays break down or progressions within the play don't work out. That is why His JR year with Broyles they designed the entire offense to go through Broyles to make his progressions easier so he would always know where to go. That is also why that season fell apart when Broyles got hurt.

Very well put.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:19 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know, if you're confident in your team's quarterbacks coach I wouldn't mind spending something like a fourth on Landry Jones. He's a talent, and he may be able to learn a thing or two from the bench.
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:24 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Jag View Post
I don't know, if you're confident in your team's quarterbacks coach I wouldn't mind spending something like a fourth on Landry Jones. He's a talent, and he may be able to learn a thing or two from the bench.
And that is exactly where he should be drafted. There is nothing wrong with his athletic ability. Of course, with the QB need playing a big part on draft day, he'll likely go higher maybe even as high as a 2nd rounder but he is definitely a strong bust possibility.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:04 AM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Landry Jones is Matt Schaub 2.0. He's good enough and talented enough to win you games, but he's not good enough to become elite.