Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts A Place to Post and Discuss Your Own Mock Drafts

Old 03-30-2013, 02:06 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ok so I maybe understated Kerley's ability by calling him meh but the fact that he is the Jets best offensive skill player is more of an indictment of the Jets than anything else, and regardless of the current contracts they shouldn't be passing up major upgrades simply based on that, or other needs. The best teams draft for value. if the Jets think Austin can upgrade the team more than Mingo then he should be the pick regardless of how many other WRs they have under manageable contracts.

By saying the Jets should take a pass rusher, what about the contracts of Coples and Wilkerson? Do the Jets need a pass rusher? Yes but I don't think it is far and away a more pressing need than WR.

The one thing Austin does from day one is he helps out whoever is the QB

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Ok so I maybe understated Kerley's ability by calling him meh but the fact that he is the Jets best offensive skill player is more of an indictment of the Jets than anything else, and regardless of the current contracts they shouldn't be passing up major upgrades simply based on that, or other needs. The best teams draft for value. if the Jets think Austin can upgrade the team more than Mingo then he should be the pick regardless of how many other WRs they have under manageable contracts.

By saying the Jets should take a pass rusher, what about the contracts of Coples and Wilkerson? Do the Jets need a pass rusher? Yes but I don't think it is far and away a more pressing need than WR.

Excuse me? Austin at 9 is drafting for VALUE??? When did this happen? Did he grow 3 inches and shave .1 off his 40 time and I missed it? He's a late 1st...

Also, Wilkerson and Coples are interior linemen, the jets have only Antwan Barnes at OLB right now which is what Jordan, Mingo, Jones, or Ansah would play

Last edited by Robcards : 03-30-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:12 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
Excuse me? Austin at 9 is drafting for VALUE??? When did this happen? Did he grow 3 inches and shave .1 off his 40 time and I missed it? He's a late 1st...

Also, Wilkerson and Coples are interior linemen, the jets have only Antwan Barnes at OLB right now which is what Jordan, Mingo, Jones, or Ansah would play
I'm not sure where you are hearing that Austin is a late first value, in fact if he lasts past the middle of the first it will be a surprise.

Ansah would also play a similar position to what Coples does.

If you want Dion Jordan as a pass rusher then by all means take, just expect to be disappointed. He is a do it all type LB and he's gone at that point in this mock anyway.

I have already stated why I didn't go Mingo or Jones

Old 03-30-2013, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not sure where you are hearing that Austin is a late first value, in fact if he lasts past the middle of the first it will be a surprise.

Ansah would also play a similar position to what Coples does.

If you want Dion Jordan as a pass rusher then by all means take, just expect to be disappointed. He is a do it all type LB and he's gone at that point in this mock anyway.

I have already stated why I didn't go Mingo or Jones
I don't want the Jets to take Jordan I agree with you there. Mingo and Jones would be much better picks than Austin, however. Ansah would play OLB and edge rush in the Jets scheme. He's about 20 lbs lighter than Coples, he wouldn't be an ideal fit but he certainly wouldn't play 3-4 DE and nickel DT like Coples.

As far as where I'm hearing that Austin is a late 1st, it's a place called everywhere. I'd like to see your source that says he's worth a top 10 pick personally.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:36 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

The Jets skill players are absolutely awful, no argument there. But in terms of the relative upgrade that Austin provides, it is diminished by the fact that it's going to be difficult to have him on the field at the same time as their best skill player unless they're using a 4 WR set which won't be an every down thing. Now if they believe either of them can play outside on a relatively consistent basis that changes things. So that kind of gets at your question of whether or not he can upgrade the team more than Mingo. I'm not sure that's the case, but I don't disagree with you.

I don't disagree with you in terms of drafting for value either. If Austin is a slam dunk top 10 pick, then it makes more sense. But to me it seems like he and Mingo are both in a large clump of players that have pretty similar values from somewhere in the 5-8 range into the late teens/early twenties in the draft. So it's kind of a wash. But in the case they have him valued as a top 10 pick and don't see Mingo the same way, it's different.

I should have been more specific in terms of pass rusher too. Coples and Wilkerson are both pass rushers, but they're interior pass rushers. With as much as they run 3-4 alignments or would kick inside in passing situations if they run a 4-3, it can be tough to get productivity in terms of sacks. The Jets could use an edge rusher, which is where Mingo would come into play.

I wasn't saying it's a bad pick either, I just don't think it's a slam dunk. And still question the move up for Manuel with as many holes as the Jets have. Moves like that are a big part of what got them into the mess they're currently in.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:39 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
I don't want the Jets to take Jordan I agree with you there. Mingo and Jones would be much better picks than Austin, however. Ansah would play OLB and edge rush in the Jets scheme. He's about 20 lbs lighter than Coples, he wouldn't be an ideal fit but he certainly wouldn't play 3-4 DE and nickel DT like Coples.

As far as where I'm hearing that Austin is a late 1st, it's a place called everywhere. I'd like to see your source that says he's worth a top 10 pick personally.
Well I don't have any sources to tell me anything but you are clearly looking in different places than I am.

What I am reading is that Austin is very highly thought of and when it comes to specific teams, it's not a case of if St Louis (who have been mentioned ad nauseum with Austin) would take him at 16, it's will he be available for them at 16.

With the change in draft salaries there isn't as much emphasis put on drafting a guy at a so called premium position highly anymore. Likewise with the proliferation of the passing game teams need more guys who can create mismatches, be that 6'4 athletic beasts on the perimeter or lightning fast, agile guys like Austin in the slot. Guys who work in the slot aren't afterthoughts anymore.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:44 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I wasn't saying it's a bad pick either, I just don't think it's a slam dunk. And still question the move up for Manuel with as many holes as the Jets have. Moves like that are a big part of what got them into the mess they're currently in.
The Jets situation at QB is a really interesting one and what happens will probably tell us what is meant for Rex. If the Jets don't take a QB relatively early then I believe he is gone at the end of the season. I see no way that Sanchez is the future of this organisation. If they take a guy like Manuel, Nassib etc in the late first/second round then it shows me the Jets think they can salvage something from the season. If not then it looks like they may blow it up and have Rex be a lame duck this year with a view on some of the elite prospects next year with a new coaching staff. I don't know enough about Idzik to be sure, but I know it likely won't go down extremely well if it comes out that they are just going to tank the year with Sanchez

Old 03-30-2013, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
The Jets situation at QB is a really interesting one and what happens will probably tell us what is meant for Rex. If the Jets don't take a QB relatively early then I believe he is gone at the end of the season. I see no way that Sanchez is the future of this organisation. If they take a guy like Manuel, Nassib etc in the late first/second round then it shows me the Jets think they can salvage something from the season. If not then it looks like they may blow it up and have Rex be a lame duck this year with a view on some of the elite prospects next year with a new coaching staff. I don't know enough about Idzik to be sure, but I know it likely won't go down extremely well if it comes out that they are just going to tank the year with Sanchez
Jets aren't doing anything in 2013 regardless of what they do. The team is in horrific shape top to bottom because of Tannenbaum. Therefore, it'd be better if they just wait until 2014 to get their franchise qb such as bridgewater since there aren't any franchise QBs in this draft. Drafting Manuel early would be a joke.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:09 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Well I don't have any sources to tell me anything but you are clearly looking in different places than I am.

What I am reading is that Austin is very highly thought of and when it comes to specific teams, it's not a case of if St Louis (who have been mentioned ad nauseum with Austin) would take him at 16, it's will he be available for them at 16.

With the change in draft salaries there isn't as much emphasis put on drafting a guy at a so called premium position highly anymore. Likewise with the proliferation of the passing game teams need more guys who can create mismatches, be that 6'4 athletic beasts on the perimeter or lightning fast, agile guys like Austin in the slot. Guys who work in the slot aren't afterthoughts anymore.
I've said it before and ill say it again. Jeremy Kerley is our slot receiver and he's a very good one.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:39 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would much rather see NO draft Mingo as opposed to Jones.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:16 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I happen to think we're looking at Rex as a lame duck this year. They'll do what they can to get young guys experience and start over next year with a new coach and a new QB. We'll see though. I'm sure they don't want it to come out, but based on their moves so far that's kind of how it looks.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:27 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I happen to think we're looking at Rex as a lame duck this year. They'll do what they can to get young guys experience and start over next year with a new coach and a new QB. We'll see though. I'm sure they don't want it to come out, but based on their moves so far that's kind of how it looks.
And wisely so. IMO they should push for David Shaw to coach next year. The odds of the Jets doing anything of significance in 2013 is slim to none, it's tough to rebuild in the NFL because ownership is usually pushing to get a marketable product, so nice to see Izdik simply trying to get some young talent in for the future, and getting 1 year veteran minimum vets to fill holes for now