Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 05-13-2015, 09:18 PM    (permalink
BThorn86
Rookie

BThorn86 is a cocksman.BThorn86 is a cocksman.BThorn86 is a cocksman.BThorn86 is a cocksman.BThorn86 is a cocksman.
Default TFE Player Profile - Shawn Oakman

Brandon Thorn, lead NFL Draft Analyst w/TheFootballEducator, run by former Denver Broncos GM Ted Sundquist brings you his first (of many) 2016 NFL Draft class player profile on one of the most polarizing prospects in the upcoming class.

Full Report: http://www.thefootballeducator.com/2...oakman-baylor/

Oakman came to Baylor as a 4-star, heavily recruited two-sport star player from Penn Wood High School in Pennsylvania (Oakman led the basketball team to a state championship victory as the starting center). Oakman originally signed with Penn State University before transferring to Baylor in 2011. He sat out the 2012 season before seeing the field in all 13 games in 2013 as a backup defensive end. He finished the year with 33 total tackles, 21 solo, 2 sacks, 12.5 TFL, 2 FF, 1 fumble recovered, and 1 blocked FG. In 2014, Oakman started 13 games and finished with 51 total tackles, 38 solo, 19.5 TFL, 11 sacks, 3 FF, 3 fumbles recovered, & 3 PBUs while contributing on special teams as well. Baylor lines him up exclusively at RDE both in 3 & 4 man fronts. Oakman has experience in the 7 tech, 5 tech, 4 tech, & 3 tech positions with most of his work done from the 5 tech spot.

Oakman has one of the more rare, awe-inspiring frames and bodies you will see from a player. Looks at worst a legitimate 6-7 (listed as 6-9) with the arm length to match. Huge shoulders and very well-proportioned dispersion of muscle throughout his core and limbs. He has the ability to utilize his physically dominant frame in ways that simply outclass opponents with both athleticism and power. Much more of a great athlete than football player right now. Only being a one-year CFB starter shows up on film. When he fires out of his stance with leverage, his initial quicks combine to unleash loads of power at the POA from his hips and hands to reestablish the LOS and knife through gaps for TFL opportunities. While his best is truly special, the norm is much more pedestrian right now.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:22 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree the 6-9 is probably exaggerated, is probably closer to 6-7 or 6-8. Obviously he has a decent amount of production and best part he stays on the field and does not seem to get injured too often so that is great.

He made a ton of progress this past year and could maybe take it to the next level this up coming season. If he has anything close to the production he had this past year he will be an easy top 15 selection without question.

Be curious how he does, best case is a Mario Williams type of DE but not sure he is that kind of athlete. I do not think he has that kind of quickness as a pass rusher or getting off the ball. Makes a lot of plays but wish he used his length a little more getting his hands up against the pass, he has three deflected passes in the last two years, should have way more than that with his supposed length.

Be interesting how he does this up coming season. See him possibly as a 3/4 DE like Calais Campbell but not sure he has that kind of strength against the run or toughness at the point of attack.

Everyone loves that kind of height though at DE.

Just look at Arik Armstead this past season, never did great things at Oregon till late last year. But has huge upside that height is hard to pass up on the DL especially as a potential DE in a 3/4 or 4/3.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:02 PM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Pro Bowler

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He can also do this:

http://www.ourdailybears.com/2015/5/...-pound-weights
Old 05-19-2015, 04:10 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
I agree the 6-9 is probably exaggerated, is probably closer to 6-7 or 6-8. Obviously he has a decent amount of production and best part he stays on the field and does not seem to get injured too often so that is great.

He made a ton of progress this past year and could maybe take it to the next level this up coming season. If he has anything close to the production he had this past year he will be an easy top 15 selection without question.

Be curious how he does, best case is a Mario Williams type of DE but not sure he is that kind of athlete. I do not think he has that kind of quickness as a pass rusher or getting off the ball. Makes a lot of plays but wish he used his length a little more getting his hands up against the pass, he has three deflected passes in the last two years, should have way more than that with his supposed length.

Be interesting how he does this up coming season. See him possibly as a 3/4 DE like Calais Campbell but not sure he has that kind of strength against the run or toughness at the point of attack.

Everyone loves that kind of height though at DE.

Just look at Arik Armstead this past season, never did great things at Oregon till late last year. But has huge upside that height is hard to pass up on the DL especially as a potential DE in a 3/4 or 4/3.
I think Oakman is MUCH better than Armstead and a much more physical player. Campbell was the obvious comparison for both size wise, but Oakman to me is the Campbell-like player (and campbell was a very up and down collegiate player I thought)
Old 05-20-2015, 11:23 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shawn Oakman does a 40 inch box jump....holding 70# dumbbells in each hand!!

http://www.tmz.com/2015/05/19/colleg...?adid=tmzhero5

Last edited by FUNBUNCHER : 05-20-2015 at 11:30 AM.
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:49 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think Oakman is MUCH better than Armstead and a much more physical player. Campbell was the obvious comparison for both size wise, but Oakman to me is the Campbell-like player (and campbell was a very up and down collegiate player I thought)
I never said Armstead was better than Oakman, just said a player his size was picked mostly because of his size on the DL combined with some athletic ability.

I agree Campbell was up and down and at times was a disappointment in college, but really has turned it around in the pros and become pretty solid. But like I said if Oakman has even close to similar production this up coming year as he did last year he will be easy top 15 pick, could easily say top 10 potentially also.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:10 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i know you werent saying he was better, just saying i think Oakman is a much better player than armstead - who i never really saw it with.

campbell is easily one of the best 34DEs in the league, if teams even get a whiff of guys like Oakman or Armstead having that kind of ability they will reach a bit
Old 05-24-2015, 04:22 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I believe Oakman to be far and away a more productive and disruptive football player at this current time than Armstead. Armstead was flashing the same type of play this past season but it didn't seem near as consistent as Oakman, to me.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:46 AM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Oakman and Armstead are vastly different style players. Armstead is 290+ lbs and is more of an anchor inside (3 or 5 tech) that is tough to move off the ball. I think Oakman will be a good 15lbs lighter, more athletic, and is more of an edge guy. Not a bender off the edge, but a guy that can stay at DE in a 4-3 because his length and athleticism.

Armstead wasn't asked to do a whole lot in college, especially in the way of pass rushing. Oakman is his team's top pass rusher. I actually like Armstead's upside a little more because I think he is an ideal 5-tech for 3-4 teams. Oakman is more Michael Johnson than Calais Campbell to me, though he doesn't have the pure speed of Johnson.
rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote