Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 04-09-2013, 12:50 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Top 7 WR's Scouted

Well, I have been watching video on Scott's top seven receivers. I made some notes. I was surprised at who I liked and who I didn't.

Cordarrelle Patterson-Very good in the open field. Do it all type of player. However, his top speed doesn't seem that fast. Quick more than fast. Good player. Reminds me of Tim Brown. I like him ok.

Tavon Austin-An absolute blazer. Very fast top end. Maybe faster than he timed, which was fast. Reminds me of Percy Harvin. May not have #1
WR potential. I really like this player.

Justin Hunter-Gets open. Not top end-fast. Not explosive. Routes not real precise. Hands are great. Reminds me of Roy Williams when he was actually trying his first few years. Slow but Fluid. Doesn't offer much in the open field. May have benefited from being on the same team as Patterson. Not a huge fan of him, but I could live with him.

Keenan Allen-Not much in open field. Not much top end speed. Gets open. His team seem to throw to him when they needed to move the chains, which is promising. Reminds me of Andre Johnson without the top speed. I like him.

Deandre Hopkins-Will go across the middle. A real fighter. Tough. Will fight for the ball. Good concentration. No top gear. Very Fiery. Nice hands. Great on the slant route. Routes look good to me. I really like this guy. One of my favorites.

Terrance Williams-Will catch in traffic. Top end not very fast. Goes down quickly. Not a fighter. Makes acrobatic catches. Concentration is good. Its hard for me to like this player when he gives up so easy. I could never draft a guy that goes down before contact this often.

Robert Woods-Open field moves are good. Good in space. I like his route running ok. Nice hands. Will catch in traffic and will go up for the ball. Has some fire in his belly. Good possession WR. Strong hands. Will take it away from defenders. Doesn't go down easily. Not a very fast top gear. I really liked this guy. Probably my single favorite.

So there you have my opinion. I am interested to see what others think.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:56 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Austin and Hopkins are my two favorites of this draft class, and the two guys I would characterize as being "safe choices".

Keenan Allen was sliding down my board, and after today's poor 40 paired with the inability to recover from his injury, he will continue to work his way down.

Robert Woods is the one player this off-season who has done a good job of getting back up after being knocked down boards throughout the season. He reminds me a lot of Greg Jennings.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DeAndre Hopkins is by far my favorite WR in this class. I just see a #1 WR when i watch his film.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:05 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1) Austin
2) Patterson
3) Hopkins
4) Patton
5) Wheaton
6) Swope
7) Woods
8) Hunter
9) Allen
10) Williams

Last edited by gpngc : 04-10-2013 at 11:41 AM.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:10 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

you cant just say none of them have top end speed besides tavon austin.

Running in the 4.4s for their size IS top end speed for Hunter and Patterson

Hopkins may not time fast, but hes shown over and over again that he can stretch the field.

Williams ran the same 40 as Torrey Smith lol

What did Keenan Allen run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:11 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

His point is that Hunter doesn't play at that speed which I agree with and is very important.

Allen ran in the 4.7s this morning according to Mayock.

I reallllly like Hopkins but he needs to perfect his craft for his game to translate and be worth a first round pick. That's a kid where I'd need to get into his head and figure out if he loves football and has the work ethic.

If any Clemson fans have any insight on him that would greatly help with my draft slot projection for him. NFL teams aren't going to take him in the first if they have any questions about his work ethic or intangibles.

Last edited by gpngc : 04-09-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:14 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hunter is clearly getting more confident on his knee, i think his playing speed definitely picked up

Quote:
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
His point is that Hunter doesn't play at that speed which I agree with and is very important.

Allen ran in the 4.7s this morning according to Mayock.

I reallllly like Hopkins but he needs to perfect his craft for his game to translate and be worth a first round pick. That's a kid where I'd need to get into his head and figure out if he loves football and has the work ethic.

If any Clemson fans have any insight on him that would greatly help with my draft slot projection for him. NFL teams aren't going to take him in the first if they have any questions about his work ethic or intangibles.
Huh?? Are you channelling your inner Mike Mayock with that beauty? Seriously, why do you ask that question?
Black Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:21 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Because he's able to dominate at the college level athletically and he's not a technician. If he tries to play like that in the NFL he's going to be a bust.

He's not naturally strong or fast like the other guys so he's going to have to make up for that gap with hard work in weight room and in terms of technique.

He's always compared to Roddy White, but White is much more physically gifted.

Hopkins' skills are that of a receiver who will only excel if he puts in the EXTRA work. I never heard a peep about that either way.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
1) Austin
2) Patterson
3) Hopkins
4) Patton
5) Woods
6) Hunter
7) Allen
8) Williams
I personally think that most people are missing the boat on Aaron Dobson. For some reason, he is the forgotten man. IMO, he is no worse than 5th on the list.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:26 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Because he's able to dominate at the college level athletically and he's not a technician. If he tries to play like that in the NFL he's going to be a bust.

He's not naturally strong or fast like the other guys so he's going to have to make up for that gap with hard work in weight room and in terms of technique.

Hopkins' skills are that of a receiver who will only excel if he puts in the EXTRA work. I never heard a peep about that either way.
I agree to an extent, he needs a lot of refining, but at the same time, he does play hard game to game and play to play. I like him, I don't love him as much as some others for this reason. Nothing he does is smooth. He plays WR like Trent Richardson plays RB.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:27 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not to beat a dead horse but Ryan Swope belongs on that top 7 list probably ahead of Woods and Williams. Everyone bemoans the lack of speed for some of these guys and Swope runs a 4.35 and can run after the catch.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:27 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

I cannot for the life of me get a read on Dobson.

I love Hopkins' tape. He's the Jarvis Jones of WRs for me. To the point where I'll endorse both here on a message board but if I were faced with a decision to draft one of them vs. another player, those workout numbers might come back into play.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:28 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
DeAndre Hopkins is by far my favorite WR in this class. I just see a #1 WR when i watch his film.
Can't agree there. And NFL caliber #1 WR shouldn't look so labored in eveything he does.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:30 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I cannot for the life of me get a read on Dobson.

I love Hopkins' tape. He's the Jarvis Jones of WRs for me. To the point where I'll endorse both here on a message board but if I were faced with a decision to draft one of them vs. another player, those workout numbers might come back into play.
Dobson is smooth, has size and excellent hands. He can make plays in the air. His skill set looks the part. People seem to forget, he ran a 4.42 at his pro day which at his size is all you need.

You know how I feel about Jones.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Not to beat a dead horse but Ryan Swope belongs on that top 7 list probably ahead of Woods and Williams. Everyone bemoans the lack of speed for some of these guys and Swope runs a 4.35 and can run after the catch.
I just about agree, but I think people still have doubts as to whether or not he is a starter. Also, he does not stretch the field the way his speed should suggest.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:41 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

Swope reminds me of santonio holmes

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:46 PM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Disagree with the bolded part. Hopkins is (Imo) clearly the best technician and route runner in this draft class. He does a lot of small things really well, and seems dedicated to perfect his craft.
He might not be just as physically gifted as Roddy White, but when it comes to skillset and playing style they are eerily similar.

About his work ethic, I found a couple of reports that all speak highly of his dedication to put in hard work:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/tag/_/name/jeff-scott

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/3/...eAndre-Hopkins

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737078

Quote from the CBS scouting report: "Good shoulder dip and footwork to set up his routes with very good feel, taking pride in his patterns. Handled quarterback Tajh Boyd's fastballs the past three years and uses his extension to reel-in tough grabs - high, low or outside, he goes and gets it. Uses his body well to box-out defenders and is fearless over the middle.

Changes gears well and knows how to turn on the jets, using his vision and awareness to create. Competitive and physical attitude and wants the ball more than anyone else on the field, never conceding the top receiver distinction to Watkins. Dedicated himself to the weight room this past off-season and it shows on the field. Much improved maturity took even the coaches by surprise with his goal oriented approach and work ethic."
Old 04-09-2013, 01:50 PM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bolt View Post
I personally think that most people are missing the boat on Aaron Dobson. For some reason, he is the forgotten man. IMO, he is no worse than 5th on the list.
Good to see, that Im not the only one who is high on Dobson. He is a solid #7 on my board, and above guys like Robert Woods and Keenan Allen.
I wouldn´t mind at all, if my Ravens would pick him in the late second round.

Last edited by SunTzu_22 : 04-09-2013 at 01:53 PM.
SunTzu_22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:16 PM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hopkins just doesn't have any wiggle or make you miss in him, which is why he's limited in terms of RAC. Certanly nowhere near that of Roddy White.

40-yard dash:

White - 4.46
Hopkins - 4.57

Bench Reps:

White - 18
Hopkins - 15

Vertical Jump:

White - 41"
Hopkins - 36"

Broad Jump:

White - 10'7"
Hopkins - 9'7"

Short Shuttle:

White - 4.01
Hopkins - 4.50

That shuttle time for Hopkins is brutal, and it shows up on his tape. It was dead last among WR's the combine by quite a margin.

There's 2 rounds worth of difference there between White and Hopkins just based off athletic testing.

Last edited by JHL6719 : 04-09-2013 at 02:42 PM.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:40 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
Swope reminds me of santonio holmes
Round 1 25th pick thank you.

Minus the baggage, i'm assuming.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Miaoww
Veteran

Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You're all forgetting Stedman Bailey.
Miaoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:12 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Round 1 25th pick thank you.

Minus the baggage, i'm assuming.
Fast, but not necessarily a "deep threat", but swope (like holmes) is lethal on the slant route

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:15 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu_22 View Post
Disagree with the bolded part. Hopkins is (Imo) clearly the best technician and route runner in this draft class. He does a lot of small things really well, and seems dedicated to perfect his craft.
He might not be just as physically gifted as Roddy White, but when it comes to skillset and playing style they are eerily similar.

About his work ethic, I found a couple of reports that all speak highly of his dedication to put in hard work:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/tag/_/name/jeff-scott

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/3/...eAndre-Hopkins

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737078

Quote from the CBS scouting report: "Good shoulder dip and footwork to set up his routes with very good feel, taking pride in his patterns. Handled quarterback Tajh Boyd's fastballs the past three years and uses his extension to reel-in tough grabs - high, low or outside, he goes and gets it. Uses his body well to box-out defenders and is fearless over the middle.

Changes gears well and knows how to turn on the jets, using his vision and awareness to create. Competitive and physical attitude and wants the ball more than anyone else on the field, never conceding the top receiver distinction to Watkins. Dedicated himself to the weight room this past off-season and it shows on the field. Much improved maturity took even the coaches by surprise with his goal oriented approach and work ethic."
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHL6719 View Post
Hopkins just doesn't have any wiggle or make you miss in him, which is why he's limited in terms of RAC. Certanly nowhere near that of Roddy White.

40-yard dash:

White - 4.46
Hopkins - 4.57

Bench Reps:

White - 18
Hopkins - 15

Vertical Jump:

White - 41"
Hopkins - 36"

Broad Jump:

White - 10'7"
Hopkins - 9'7"

Short Shuttle:

White - 4.01
Hopkins - 4.50

That shuttle time for Hopkins is brutal, and it shows up on his tape. It was dead last among WR's the combine by quite a margin.

There's 2 rounds worth of difference there between White and Hopkins just based off athletic testing.
Good post. Wow. 4.50 is horrible...
Old 04-09-2013, 03:28 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

im pretty sure hopkins improved everything at his pro day

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.