Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:30 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Books all NFL Fans should read

Next Man Up: Written on the Baltimore Ravens during the 2004 season, provides good insight into the dynamics of a team, why and how decisions are made and how coaching staff, players and the scouts react towards life in the NFL.

Not quite as in depth as it could've been had it been written by someone writing for a target audience of already knowledgeable football fans.

Its interesting to read, now, after seeing the changes that the Ravens have gone through recently, what with Kyle Boller and the coaching issues.

All Balls: Written by an Australian, Colin Scotts who played Defensive end for the Cardinals and Tight End for the Oilers. Its great to read something about the NFL and its culture from outsider eyes so to speak. People outside the US will probably appreciate the book more. Good though to read about the history of the sport in college and the pros and how its changed over the years.

The Draft: One of the best books written about football ever. Extremely good analysis on the scouting process and why certain players can be picked over others. It also has information on Agents, prospects and how they're picked. Written in 2005, so you'll read about mike williams, williamson, thomas davis and those guys who're either busts or are blooming now. Interesting to see how touted they were then.

Bloody Sunday: Written about the coaches. Its more anecdotal and a bit of a fluffy read towards coaches, but still informative in regards to the inner workings of the teams and how they do what they do.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:32 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I forgte what its called i think its called " THe Blind Side" or something, its by Michael Lewis, the same guy who wrote MoneyBall, it is a great book, and is a must read.
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:06 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There was a great book on the salary cap and the financial evolution of the NFL and the position salaries. I forgot the name of it, but I heard about it on the radio once. Id be interested in reading that as well.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:56 AM    (permalink
BPhilb
Veteran

BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.

Nice thread. There is also a book by Tim Green called "The Dark Side of the Game". He basically talks about various topics that NFL players go through in a season and carrer that is very interesting. It's a bit dated but it's only about $5 in paperback and is well worth the read.
BPhilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:18 AM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPhilb View Post
Nice thread. There is also a book by Tim Green called "The Dark Side of the Game". He basically talks about various topics that NFL players go through in a season and carrer that is very interesting. It's a bit dated but it's only about $5 in paperback and is well worth the read.
Tim Green comes off like he wrote the book just to make money, and exploited his teammates for a buck. Maybe he wrote the book out of the goodness of his heart, but he seems like a douche.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:22 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also recommend "America's Game." A good book on the history of the game and how it became, well, America's game. I think it was published in '04, so it's fairly recent.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:34 AM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've heard Cane Rising is a good one, about the U. Also, Friday Night Lights is pretty much a must-read. It's being taught in highschool and college classrooms.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPhilb View Post
The Dark Side of the Game was a good read I liked hearing about what players go threw getting ready for the draft they get treated like a piece of meat pretty much.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Veteran

22,895 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The Junction Boys and Keyshawn Johnson's Book Just Give me the Damn Ball. Great book.
22,895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:06 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've Read NEXT MAN UP, awesome book.

Right now I'm reading , The Education of a Coach.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:15 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would but I don't read :(

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:24 PM    (permalink
gbpackers0065
Pro Bowler

gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.

Patriot Reign by Michael Holley is awesome it really takes you inside the Patriot's dynasty of the early 2000's.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:44 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I would but I don't read :(
Reading is underrated.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Big Mike
Veteran

Big Mike hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i hate to read. the only full book i have ever read was the Lion Witch adn the Wardrobe. Surprisingly my GPA is still 3.7. But anyways, I may read some of these.

ALL COMPLIMENTS TO: BANTX FOR THE SIG

XBOX360 Gamertag: GZA88
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:51 PM    (permalink
Purple N Proud

Yea Blind Side, the story of Michael Oher and the evolution of the left tackle, is a great book.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:56 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

The thing I hate about books is that they cost money. Hence why our generation is going to grow up reading primarily online.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Dustmck

Good

Run to daylight- by vince lombardi
Confessions of a dirty ball player- by johnny sample
The blindside
Triple option football-by homer rice
The draft

Average

Education of a coach
Next Man up
Old 04-04-2007, 05:24 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
The thing I hate about books is that they cost money. Hence why our generation is going to grow up reading primarily online.
Exactly. And libraries aren't always stacked with the greatest and most recent books. At least not where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:13 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpackers0065 View Post
Patriot Reign by Michael Holley is awesome it really takes you inside the Patriot's dynasty of the early 2000's.
I keep meaning to buy this, I've had it in my hand a couple of times... but I want hardback...
Old 04-04-2007, 07:42 PM    (permalink
throwback54milkman
Veteran

throwback54milkman needs more cowbell.

Unitas was sooooooooooooooo good, I highly recommend it

^^Sig From Nvot9
J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!
throwback54milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:16 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
I forgte what its called i think its called " THe Blind Side" or something, its by Michael Lewis, the same guy who wrote MoneyBall, it is a great book, and is a must read.
i'm reading that at the time and really enjoying it.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:20 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

here's a DVD everyone should watch.... Favre4ver.. Narrated by Billlybob Thorton, it's excellent.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:21 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Brett Favre Version of The Bible.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:30 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
The Brett Favre Version of The Bible.

Actually Brett Favre's bible is the Bar tendors bible. Man I bet he used to get **** faced.
anyways I only give one warningwith the DVD. Watch out for NRBs.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.

Last edited by TitleTown088 : 04-04-2007 at 08:37 PM.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:48 PM    (permalink
marks01234
Veteran

marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've read Emitt Smith and LT's autobiography. LT's is pretty interesting - amazing how much crap he got away with at UNC even for the time period. That program ought to be still be in trouble for all that. Smith's was pretty good - good analysis of a lot of his teammates.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote