Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 04-22-2013, 07:35 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Is Barkevious Mingo the next Manny Lawson?

Does anyone else think that, like Manny Lawson before him, Barkevious Mingo is the incredibly athletic collegiate defensive end who may be best suited to a 4-3 outside linebacker role in the NFL due to his lack of pass rushing ability? In terms of athleticism, they're very similar:

6'5", 241, 4.43 (1.55 ten-yd split), 39.5" vert, 10'4" broad, 4.21 shuttle, 6.90 cone

6'4", 241, 4.53 (1.57 ten-yd split), 37" vert, 10'8" broad, 4.39 shuttle, 6.84 cone
Old 04-22-2013, 07:38 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Mingo has a lot more pass rush ability than Lawson ever displayed. Mingo may not have the size of a 4-3 DE, but I think he's got the pass rush ability. Ideally, he'd go to a 3-4 where that can truly display all of his talents.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

His pass rush ability wasn't on display last season, I'll tell you that mightytitan.

P.S. - Manny Lawson is awesome...haters...SuperBowl...

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Dion Jordan is Manny Lawson. Mingo reminds me of Aaron Maybin. Fast, but not big nor strong enough to get to the QB.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:48 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

to me mingo is either aaron maybin or hes aldon smith (as far as recent examples go)....dion jordan is more like lawson, but he is equally as tough to evaluate....he could be like lawson and best fit from a 43 OLB (i dont think julian peterson is a bad example either) or he could be a premier pass rusher at DE or 34 OLB.

Both guys have significant bust factors to them, but are also the type of players you can build an entire pass rusher around
Old 04-22-2013, 07:57 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
to me mingo is either aaron maybin or hes aldon smith (as far as recent examples go)....dion jordan is more like lawson, but he is equally as tough to evaluate....he could be like lawson and best fit from a 43 OLB (i dont think julian peterson is a bad example either) or he could be a premier pass rusher at DE or 34 OLB.

Both guys have significant bust factors to them, but are also the type of players you can build an entire pass rusher around
Meaning, both will be overvalued and taken in the top 10 when clearly, I wouldn't touch either that high. I'd takle Mingo round two, Jordan, late 1 early 2. I'm glad the bucs aren't a 3-4 team making this decision. Both will be high risk players that early.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:17 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dion Jordan scares me. Barkevious Mingo gives me nightmares.

I'd take a chance on Jordan in the top 15 way before Mingo. Every time I see Mingo play, he looks all finesse and quickness/speed. IMO there's very little strength or power in his game. Skinny weakling pass rushers get beat down in the NFL.

At least Dion has been working out to make his body NFL ready, but he's not the next coming of Charles Haley either.

Jordan I think has the higher upside, but both of them have astronomical bust potential as well. The Manny Lawson/Aaron Maybin comparisons are so spot on.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:02 PM    (permalink
ncst8fan83
Pro Bowler

ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lawson was a far more effective pass rusher in college than Mingo has proven to be. He had 6 more sacks and 20.5 more TFLs in one additional season (albeit as a freshman). I suppose you could make the SEC vs ACC argument, and I wouldn't fault you for it. I wouldn't take Mingo in the first. Lawson was taken 22nd, Mingo is a middle-class version of Manny. He should be first half of the 2nd round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman
Titty sprinkles
ncst8fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:16 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No Dion Jordan is the next Manny Lawson. A pro that's great at everything besides what he is brought in to do.... get after the quarterback.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:32 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I compare Mingo as Clay Matthews in terms of prospects. They're almost alike.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:40 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:41 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

Only one of the following three - Ansah, Jordan, Mingo - has even a remote chance of being a good NFL player. If that.
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:02 AM    (permalink
Attyla the Hawk
Rookie

Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
I compare Mingo as Clay Matthews in terms of prospects. They're almost alike.
I'm the exact opposite.

Mingo to me has no taste for the physical aspect of playing defense. He never takes on a block or works through the wash. He's a run to daylight defender. Always satisfied with trying to run around blocks, rather than fight through them.

He is a running gap waiting to happen.

I even compared his tape to Bruce Irvin's last year and the difference in physicality between the two is instantly recognizable. Mingo isn't half as physical. Mingo has a kitschy name and produced on a good college team. But really he looks like the only way he makes plays, is if the other guy flat out makes a mistake, or if he can simply run around clean to avoid contact altogether.

He's the kind of LB that I could see Lamichael James erasing without help. I don't see anything remotely Clay Matthewsish about Mingo at all. Matthews blows up blockers and retains his gap responsibility. Mingo all but abandons it at the first sign of a blocker.

This is one weird draft. It's hard to find a consensus on most guys. Either way, I'm sure we'll find out which of us is closer to the real thing in 5 months or so.
Attyla the Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncst8fan83 View Post
Lawson was a far more effective pass rusher in college than Mingo has proven to be. He had 6 more sacks and 20.5 more TFLs in one additional season (albeit as a freshman). I suppose you could make the SEC vs ACC argument, and I wouldn't fault you for it. I wouldn't take Mingo in the first. Lawson was taken 22nd, Mingo is a middle-class version of Manny. He should be first half of the 2nd round.
Manny also had the most disruptive pass rusher in the NCAA on the other side of him most of his career. As much as I love Manny and the physical specimen that he was... he was overrated because of Williams.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:26 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attyla the Hawk View Post
I'm the exact opposite.

Mingo to me has no taste for the physical aspect of playing defense. He never takes on a block or works through the wash. He's a run to daylight defender. Always satisfied with trying to run around blocks, rather than fight through them.

He is a running gap waiting to happen.

I even compared his tape to Bruce Irvin's last year and the difference in physicality between the two is instantly recognizable. Mingo isn't half as physical. Mingo has a kitschy name and produced on a good college team. But really he looks like the only way he makes plays, is if the other guy flat out makes a mistake, or if he can simply run around clean to avoid contact altogether.

He's the kind of LB that I could see Lamichael James erasing without help. I don't see anything remotely Clay Matthewsish about Mingo at all. Matthews blows up blockers and retains his gap responsibility. Mingo all but abandons it at the first sign of a blocker.

This is one weird draft. It's hard to find a consensus on most guys. Either way, I'm sure we'll find out which of us is closer to the real thing in 5 months or so.
Now, I didn't watch Clay's games for USC, but his scouting reports were similar to what is being said of Mingo. He, Clay, would try to get around a blocker than go through him, Clay needed to bulk up(which he did, added 15-20 pounds), and he had technique issues.

I'm discussing Matthews, the prospect, not the NFL pro.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:33 PM    (permalink
Attyla the Hawk
Rookie

Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
I'm discussing Matthews, the prospect, not the NFL pro.
Ah, yeah I got nothing on that. I didn't really follow him as a prospect. We were in 'need a franchise QB' hell by then.
Attyla the Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:39 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
Manny also had the most disruptive pass rusher in the NCAA on the other side of him most of his career. As much as I love Manny and the physical specimen that he was... he was overrated because of Williams.
And now they are reunited.

So watch out!

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:27 PM    (permalink
Goon61
Rookie

Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Forget those measureables, watch the tape, Mingo is much better than Lawson.

For your viewing pleasure watch him dominate Washington's d-line, especially at 22:07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIms6ImVG6w
Goon61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon61 View Post
Forget those measureables, watch the tape, Mingo is much better than Lawson.

For your viewing pleasure watch him dominate Washington's d-line, especially at 22:07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIms6ImVG6w
I agree, Goon. People are getting too caught up in Mingo's stat line. The production isn't what we want to see but he looks very good on film. Add what I see on film to his measurables, I think he will be a very scary pass rusher in the NFL.

I think if anybody ends up like Lawson, it'll be Dion Jordan. He's very good in coverage and many question his pass rushing ability.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:49 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
I think Dion Jordan is Manny Lawson. Mingo reminds me of Aaron Maybin. Fast, but not big nor strong enough to get to the QB.
I've been saying that Jordan is a Lawson clone for a year now. I don't understand where all this "dynamic pass rusher" talk comes from...
Old 04-23-2013, 10:20 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like people have said in here already, but I've been riding the Jordan and Lawson comparison for a while now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote