Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:30 AM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The "What If?" Thread

This similar to the "Who had greatness derailed by injuries" thread. It's a simple concept - What if things were different? What do you think would have happened if certain players had fulfilled their potential or weren't so quickly abandoned in favor of others? What if certain players chose one team over another in free agency?

For instance, what could have happened to David Carr if Texans didn't have a trash offensive line? What would have happened if Eli had stayed in San Diego with Rivers going to the Giants? What if Deion had stayed in San Francisco?

I'll start with one that always bugs me:

What if Randall Cunningham had proper coaching in Philadelphia?

I honestly think the Eagles would have become the early dynasty of the 90s instead of the Cowboys. They already had the lethal defense and with a properly developed and coached offense, in particular Randall, the team could have easily had multiple Super Bowl appearances. We saw what Cunningham was able to do with competent offensive management in Minnesota, but by then his scrambling days were long gone. Just imagine what he could have done in Philadelphia when he still had his legs. Buddy Ryan screwed us all out of watching something truly special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:36 AM    (permalink
BarackSays
Rookie

BarackSays is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BarackSays is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BarackSays is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BarackSays is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BarackSays is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BarackSays is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BarackSays is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BarackSays is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BarackSays is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BarackSays is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BarackSays is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I could go on for hours about Cunningham, and the 98 season in general.

What if Gary made the kick?

What if Robert Griffith didn't drop the INT on the Falcons' last drive?

What if Randy had caught that bomb Randall threw in OT?

What if Denny Green wasn't the stupidest man on the planet?

People argue that the Broncos would have beaten us anyway, and they probably would have, but it sure would have been a helluva lot better than the squash we got.

Randall was like Mike Vick if Vick lived up to the hype, and even then, he still didn't reach his full potential since Buddy Ryan would eliminate offense from the game if he was allowed. His 1990 season was incredible and I'm shocked he didn't win the MVP that year (won it in a few other publications but not the AP MVP).
BarackSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:38 AM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
For instance, what could have happened to David Carr if Texans didn't have a trash offensive line?
Would have been a slightly less ****** QB. Think Matt Cassel.

Quote:
What would have happened if Eli had stayed in San Diego with Rivers going to the Giants?
Their careers would probably relatively similar to how they are today. Manning probably could have won a Super Bowl with one of those talented Chargers teams, while Rivers got some playoff appearances out of the Giants

Quote:
What if Deion had stayed in San Francisco?
Honestly, a little before my time watching the NFL. I won't even pretend like I have some insight, 'cause I don't.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:39 AM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mufasa, those were example questions for people a little slow to understand the premise, you don't HAVE to answer them.

Quote:
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:47 AM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know, but since you listed them I thought I'd answer them. It'd be pretty boring if this thread was filled with a million questions with no one giving their opinions on what would actually happen
Old 08-12-2013, 12:49 AM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
I know, but since you listed them I thought I'd answer them. It'd be pretty boring if this thread was filled with a million questions with no one giving their opinions on what would actually happen
Fair enough. I actually think Carr would have been decent. Then again, Cassel had a couple decent seasons so you may not be far off.

Quote:
Old 08-12-2013, 12:53 AM    (permalink
fatso
Rookie

fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What if the niners draft Rodgers over Smith? Is Nolan still a head coach? Is Rodgers still elite? Where's Harbaugh?

What if Flacco gets intercepted vs Denver? Who you guys got for the Super Bowl?

Do the Saints make the playoffs last season if bountygate didn't happen?

How high would Aaron Hernandez' body count be if he was drafted by Cincinnati?

What if they got rid of the defenseless receiver rule? Who would benefit , and who would suffer?
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:01 AM    (permalink
BarackSays
Rookie

BarackSays is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BarackSays is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BarackSays is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BarackSays is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BarackSays is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BarackSays is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BarackSays is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BarackSays is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BarackSays is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BarackSays is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BarackSays is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatso View Post

I'm dying, 10/10
Old 08-12-2013, 01:01 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What IF this thread never started. Think of that one.
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:03 AM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
What IF this thread never started. Think of that one.
We wouldn't have that amazing Aaron Hernandez line.

Obviously, the point of the thread is to get people speculating but try to answer your own or other's questions.

Quote:
Old 08-12-2013, 01:11 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My favorite is, "What if the Lions would have drafted Andre Johnson instead of Charles Rogers?" I'm so glad they didn't. Andre was my favorite player that year in college football and wanted him falling to the Texans. Andre Johnson and Megatron would be ridiculous though.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:18 AM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
My favorite is, "What if the Lions would have drafted Andre Johnson instead of Charles Rogers?" I'm so glad they didn't. Andre was my favorite player that year in college football and wanted him falling to the Texans. Andre Johnson and Megatron would be ridiculous though.
But see, having Andre would very likely make the Lions just good enough to not have a shot at getting Calvin. That's what makes these questions so difficult if you really think about it. There are sooo many variables in there. Step on a butterfly, man
Old 08-12-2013, 01:32 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
If they drafted Andre Johnson they probably wouldn't have Calvin lets not forget that there was significant want for Gaines Adams within the coaching staff that year..

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:45 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar View Post
If they drafted Andre Johnson they probably wouldn't have Calvin lets not forget that there was significant want for Gaines Adams within the coaching staff that year..
I was thinking that too. If they had Andre, and still drafted in that same position, then they probably would go in a different direction than WR.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:46 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Many analysts cite the death of Eagles quarterbacks coach Doug Scovil in 1989 from a heart attack as the point when Randall stunted in his development as potentially one of the best QBs to play the game.

Scovil is the one credited as most responsible for developing Cunningham into a pro bowl caliber NFL passer.

If Buddy Ryan gave a damn about the offensive side of the football and brought in a REAL OC instead of that bum Rich Kotite, rather than give the ball to Randall and basically tell him to 'make something happen', who knows what could have been in Philly in the the mid 1980s- early '90s.

That team was loaded and a beast on defense.
IMO those Eagles era teams should at least have made an appearance in the SB.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:53 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatso View Post
What if the niners draft Rodgers over Smith? Is Nolan still a head coach? Is Rodgers still elite? Where's Harbaugh?

What if Flacco gets intercepted vs Denver? Who you guys got for the Super Bowl?

Do the Saints make the playoffs last season if bountygate didn't happen?

What if they got rid of the defenseless receiver rule? Who would benefit , and who would suffer?
If flacco gets picked it becomes manning vs brady pt 10000000 but I think NE takes it assuming Gronk doesn't get injured. Then Pats vs San Fran is tough I think Pats. Also Joe Flacco doesn't make nearly as much money.

Yes saints make the playoffs without bountygate

The Seahawks would really benefit from no defenseless receiver.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:05 AM    (permalink
BarackSays
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Many analysts cite the death of Eagles quarterbacks coach Doug Scovil in 1989 from a heart attack as the point when Randall stunted in his development as potentially one of the best QBs to play the game.

Scovil is the one credited as most responsible for developing Cunningham into a pro bowl caliber NFL passer.

If Buddy Ryan gave a damn about the offensive side of the football and brought in a REAL OC instead of that bum Rich Kotite, rather than give the ball to Randall and basically tell him to 'make something happen', who knows what could have been in Philly in the the mid 1980s- early '90s.

That team was loaded and a beast on defense.
IMO those Eagles era teams should at least have made an appearance in the SB.
They had the unfortunate timing of the 90s Cowboys, and the fact that the year that was supposed to be THE year for them (1991), Randall tore his ACL in the first game ala Brady and they had to give the reins to Jim McMahon.

Also, never heard that Scovil tidbit before, that's really interesting.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:06 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What if Mike Martz didn't become absolutely obsessed with getting absolute perfection and winning everything RIGHT NOW? Does he have more patience with Kurt Warner's injury, and not send him packing to New York? If Warner stays in St. Louis and revives his career, I think the Greatest Show may have had another Super Bowl in them, and we may have never had to live through Linehan and/or Spags.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:10 AM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
What if Mike Martz didn't become absolutely obsessed with getting absolute perfection and winning everything RIGHT NOW? Does he have more patience with Kurt Warner's injury, and not send him packing to New York? If Warner stays in St. Louis and revives his career, I think the Greatest Show may have had another Super Bowl in them, and we may have never had to live through Linehan and/or Spags.
I don't know about another Super Bowl, but they probably could have at least contended for a while. Kurt's career had he kept his job is a prett interesting one in itself. Right now he's still a borderline Hall of Famer. If he didn't spend a few years as a backup he'd have to be a lock
Old 08-12-2013, 02:23 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
I don't know about another Super Bowl, but they probably could have at least contended for a while. Kurt's career had he kept his job is a prett interesting one in itself. Right now he's still a borderline Hall of Famer. If he didn't spend a few years as a backup he'd have to be a lock
I agree. He has great numbers when you take into consideration that he started late and sat for some time. But he doesn't have the whole longevity thing going for him.

Ultimately I think he does get in, I'm just not sure it is a first ballot slam dunk. What he did as far as taking two dead franchises and making them legitimate should help his cause a lot, as well as the fact that he has been great for every community he has been a part of and a great example for people of faith. In the end I think the voters will want him in for the final stamp on his journey.

One interesting tidbit...Warner, Holt, Bruce and Pace will all be eligible in 2015. Pace seems like a first ballot guy to me. Warner I think will get in at some point. Holt and Bruce I don't think get in, not early anyway. Bruce has a better shot than Holt.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:11 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

My last post brought me to another thought...have teammates ever been inducted to the Hall in the same year?
Old 08-12-2013, 04:20 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
My last post brought me to another thought...have teammates ever been inducted to the Hall in the same year?
Pace is a sure fire first ballot guy IMO. Holt and Bruce may have a tougher time getting in as WR is such a tough position to get in for the Hall.

Warner is an interesting study. Based on 4 or 5 years of play he is a nailed on bet for the hall but for whatever reasons the rest of his career he was a JAG. Without trying to downgrade his achievements if it were up to me he wouldn't get in because the Hall to me is about sustaining greatness throughout your career

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:22 AM    (permalink
7DnBrnc53
Rookie

7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.

What if Vick would have been found out in February 2007?

Schaub would still be a Falcon, which means that Matty Ice would be somewhere else (like with the Jets, Chiefs, or Ravens, who had the eighth pick that year before trading down).

Also, maybe the Texans would have traded for Jake Plummer with Schaub off the market, and he plays for them and doesn't retire.
7DnBrnc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:24 AM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First, Torry Holt has little to no shot at making the HOF.
What if Terrell Davis doesn't shred his knee in 1999 :(
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:59 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What if the Jets take Emmitt Smith #2 in the 1990 Draft over Blair Thomas and Thomas ends up falling to Dallas where they originally took Smith.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote