Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-29-2013, 08:36 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Grading scale: Love, Like, Hate

Round 1: C/G Travis Frederick

I don't think most people will ever get past thinking that this pick was a reach, but the more I look into it, the more I'm learning that this really wasn't a reach. Pauline, "Sources tell me possibly the Indianapolis Colts at pick 24 as the team needs a guard or the Atlanta Falcons at pick 30". Frederick's agent said he had a promise from a team early in Round 2. Calvin Watkins revealed the Cowboys had him rated higher than Pugh and equal to Long. Clarence Hill tweeted that he was #22 on the Cowboys board. While, I didn't have him that high, I'm not too big to recognize that I was wrong about it. Guys like Kiper/Mayock have to stick to their original thoughts because that's what they will be judged on. They can't just change their minds on their rankings when the draft is over and all the post draft info starts to be released... even if they wanted to. But we can if we choose to and I have. New information will do that. I can't sit here and say the Cowboys should've waited till 47 to get him and feel good about that being a real possibility.

BTB had a predraft interview with our very own Scott Wright:

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...itions-of-need

The more I'm learning about Frederick the more I'm loving this pick. First Badger to ever start as a true freshman... Broke school record with his 770 pound squat as a Sophomore... Had to be chastised by OL for breaking one teammate's arm and another's wrist in practice... Double Engineering Major... High SATs... High wonderlick...

Former Wisconsin head coach Bret Bielema

Tony Pauline (DraftInsider)

Russ Lande (NFP)

Charles Davis (NFL Network)

Dan Graziano (ESPN)

Louis Bien (SBNation)

Dan Hanzus (NFLcom.)

Jesus Flores (RantSports)

Nick Kroger (The Badger Herald)

Here's the ulitmate cop-out... I hear people say, "I don't hate the player, I hate where they took the player."

WTF? Just stop with that. People said Seattle was the laughing stock when they took James Carpenter, Bruce Irvin and even Russell Wilson too early. Now they are talking about Seattle like no matter what they do, they are making good picks. Funny how that works right?

Grade: Love!!!
I'm going to misquote the great Gil Brandt here, so please excuse me. I was driving home Thursday night from a draft party and feeling very blah about the pick of Frederick. I felt that way until I heard Gil on NFL Network radio. He said that when he watched Frederick play and the tape he studied, that after each play the guy that Frederick was blocking typically was nowhere near the ball carrier. That indeed perked me up a bit about the pick. I then went on to watch some Youtube videos and really have developed into a fan and really like the pick.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:44 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Grading scale: Love, Really Like, Like, Don't Like, Hate

On Terrance Williams:

I'm going to go on record and say Terrance Williams will not be as good of an NFL WR as Keenan Allen will be. I really thought Allen was such a steal where he was taken. He might not be the fasted timed guy and his injury might've dropped his stock, but when healthy he plays fast and he has great yards after catch and he has huge hands which he uses his to catch the ball. The only place I see Williams better at is in his straight line speed. But there are areas of his game that really have me concerned. For one, he's a classic "basket catcher". I hate basket catchers. They have a higher tendency to let the ball bounce off their pads and they don't attack the ball in the air at it's highest point. That extra split second in the NFL could mean the difference between a catch and an interception. The other worry I have is that despite his nice size at 6'2, 208, Williams doesn't not play a physical brand of football. While Dez will scrap and crawl for every yard, Terrance will go out of bounds or go down with the tackle.

That said, you can't deny Williams' production over the years. Last year he lead the country in receiving yards. You don't do that if you have a lot of flaws. So while he is a basket catcher, he has mastered it well. While he is a big WR, he definitely has speed to burn and he knows how to get open. When I think of the potential that Williams can be in this offense, I think he can be the next coming of Alvin Harper. With so much attention on the other guys in our offense, Williams should be able to play the role of game breaker taking passes on deep routes. That's one of the reasons why I think the Cowboys opted for Williams over Allen. Williams trumps him in his ability to take the deep route.

I think he can start right away split wide opposite of Dez with Austin our best option in the slot. Getting a starter and game breaker in the 3rd round is a huge get. So while I liked another receiver more and Williams has some flaws that I don't like. I have to say, this pick still makes sense and still should provide us with very nice returns.

Grade: Like

Last edited by D-Unit : 05-01-2013 at 02:57 AM.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:46 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Grading scale: Love, Like, Hate

On Terrance Williams:

I'm going to go on record and say Terrance Williams will not be as good of an NFL WR as Keenan Allen will be. I really thought Allen was such a steal where he was taken. He might not be the fasted timed guy and his injury might've dropped his stock, but when healthy he plays fast and he has great yards after catch and he has huge hands which he uses his to catch the ball. The only place I see Williams better at is in his straight line speed. But there are areas of his game that really have me concerned. For one, he's a classic "basket catcher". I hate basket catchers. They have a higher tendency to let the ball bounce off their pads and they don't attack the ball in the air at it's highest point. That extra split second in the NFL could mean the difference between a catch and an interception. The other worry I have is that despite his nice size at 6'2, 208, Williams doesn't not play a physical brand of football. While Dez will scrap and crawl for every yard, Terrance will go out of bounds or go down with the tackle.

That said, you can't deny Williams' production over the years. Last year he lead the country in receiving yards. You don't do that if you have a lot of flaws. So while he is a basket catcher, he has mastered it well. While he is a big WR, he definitely has speed to burn and he knows how to get open. When I think of the potential that Williams can be in this offense, I think he can be the next coming of Alvin Harper. With so much attention on the other guys in our offense, Williams should be able to play the role of game breaker taking passes on deep routes.

I think he can start right away split wide opposite of Dez with Austin our best option in the slot. Getting a starter and game breaker in the 3rd round is a huge get. So while I liked another receiver more and Williams has some flaws that I don't like. I have to say, this pick still makes sense and still should provide us with very nice returns.

Grade: Like
Great comparison.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:03 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kiper C+, USA Today D-, Prisco C, Cole (yahoo) F, Sporting News C, Sports Illistrated C+, Fox Sports C, CBS Sports B-

Comments:
Quote:
I was a little critical of the first-round pick, just because the Cowboys drafted a player I thought they could have taken at least 30 spots later. Travis Frederick was my 87th-ranked player.
Quote:
Why not also move down again from 31 if you've decided against Elam or fellow S Johnathan Cyprien rather than reaching for C Travis Frederick? Second-round TE Gavin Escobar is a glorified wideout who may not hold up well as Jason Witten's replacement if it comes to that one day.
Quote:
Questionable move: Trading down and taking center/guard Travis Frederick in the first round. He fills a big need, and I like his toughness, but this is a move that will be questioned.
Quote:
Last year, the Cowboys received a B after an aggressive move up the board to get cornerback Morris Claiborne. This year they traded down, and the grade bottomed out with it. Three of their first four picks are guys who might not play significantly this year. The consensus around the league is that Frederick was a reach.

Quote:
They're down here because they didn't get either an offensive tackle or defensive lineman, and didn't get in on the run of top safeties. Wisconsin center Travis Frederick could have been had after Round 1
Quote:
The Travis Frederick selection was a reach. A major reach. Fellow C Brian Schwenke was taken 76 picks later and itís hard to say Frederick is noticeably better.
Quote:
I didnít love the Frederick pick or the Escobar selection in the first two rounds, but I really like adding Terrance Williams to the offense. It seems like the Cowboys had a different draft grade on Frederick than other teams.
Quote:
I was surprised to see Dallas trade back 13 spots in the first round and didn't think they received enough picks from the 49ers(No. 74 overall) to do so. Center/guard Travis Frederick is a good player who'll help solidify Dallas' offensive line and, therefore, the pick makes sense, though I thought it was a reach.
Now I know these guys are just talking heads and of course dont know what they are talking about but they all seem to share the same conclusion.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 04-30-2013, 02:14 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why complain about Frederick going 31st so much? This is a draft where we saw Dion Jordan go 3rd, DJ Hayden go 12th, EJ Manuel go 16th, Eric Reid go 18th and Kyle Long go 20th. It was a weird draft and was more about pick your poison.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:17 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Why complain about Frederick going 31st so much? This is a draft where we saw Dion Jordan go 3rd, DJ Hayden go 12th, EJ Manuel go 16th, Eric Reid go 18th and Kyle Long go 20th. It was a weird draft and was more about pick your poison.
So because other teams reached we should too? How many of those teams traded down to get what should have been a 2nd and came away with a 3rd?

Old 04-30-2013, 02:33 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
So because other teams reached we should too? How many of those teams traded down to get what should have been a 2nd and came away with a 3rd?
You wanted Armstead and Winters at 47 but they went 72 adn 75. Even Frederick wouldn't have been considered that much of a reach. You gotta recalibrate your judgements.

The talking heads are the talking heads. None of them have jobs as NFL scouts. None of them have access to NFL teams' boards. None of them can single handedly do the job that an entire NFL Scouting team can do. Most of all, they all like to think similarly. Any guy who doesn't, isn't really accepted. I mean really... the ONLY way they can say the consensus thought Frederick was a reach is by going off of each other. They cannot go off of real NFL boards.

Also, just look at the post draft grades of last year's draft. Majority of them look silly right now. I wouldn't suggest investing much into what they say. Hang in there my brother. I think you will like this draft down the line more than you do right now.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:47 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You wanted Armstead and Winters at 47 but they went 72 adn 75. Even Frederick wouldn't have been considered that much of a reach. You gotta recalibrate your judgements.

The talking heads are the talking heads. None of them have jobs as NFL scouts. None of them have access to NFL teams' boards. None of them can single handedly do the job that an entire NFL Scouting team can do. Most of all, they all like to think similarly. Any guy who doesn't, isn't really accepted. I mean really... the ONLY way they can say the consensus thought Frederick was a reach is by going off of each other. They cannot go off of real NFL boards.

Also, just look at the post draft grades of last year's draft. Majority of them look silly right now. I wouldn't suggest investing much into what they say. Hang in there my brother. I think you will like this draft down the line more than you do right now.
I didnt say I wanted Armstead and Winters. I said they were available and along with Warford had similar grades. I said I would have taken Floyd. If I had to trade down I would have taken Cyprien. I would have taken Fredrick at 47 cuz he would have still been there

Old 04-30-2013, 06:38 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rumors that have been circulating:

- At #18 the Cowboys were locked on to three prospects that never came near pick them. The team was hoping the likes of Jonathan Cooper (7), Tavon Austin(8) or Sheldon Richardson(13) would slide down into striking distance. Also,rumored the team was very high on Star and might have pulled the trigger had he made it to #18 and the interest in Vacarro was overstated, may have still traded down if he was on the board.

Cooper and Austin never came close and there was clear displeasure in the war room when both players were selected so early. There was hope with the Trio of DT's sliding that Richardson would ultimately be the pick when they got on the clock. Of the three prospects Richardson was the best fit as the penetrating 3tech that the pass rush scheme is built around. Floyd and Star both fit better at 1 tech but there is a feeling around the Ranch that Ratliff is back to form and using a 1st round pick on a reserve NT would be a waste.

- Jerry Jones liked the potential value at #31 and the teams targets were, Justin Pugh(19), Kyle Long(20), Cordarelle Patterson(29), or Sylvester Williams(28)

This was a unique draft with such an upswing of O-lineman being selected higher then most evaluators expectations. Including Frederick there were 9 selected in the first round alone which is 1 out of every 4 picks. All along the coaching staff has preached added value in lineman with versatility and wanted to lock down a prospect with value at multiple positions. Unfortunately for the team both Justin Pugh and Long went back to back after the pick was traded away. Patterson fit from a value/scheme/ familiarity aspect with his former HC pushing to get his guy as a jack of all trades weapon and developmental starter. Williams was a guy that might have been a consideration at #18 if it weren't for his age (25) and inconsistency, but at #31 he had a good combination of size/speed to platoon at both tackle positions.

-The Scouts had a second round grade on Frederick compared to a third on Schwenke and a 3rd/injury flag on Jones.

Call it panic or a reach but with lineman trending up the boards the team wanted to secure the best multidimensional lineman on their board. IT can be argued that Frederick's value would have him at the Boys second pick but with the well drying up it was hard to blame them selecting him while he was available. Schwenke ultimately went in the 4th round so it was possible he would have been available if they chose that route.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post

- At #18 the Cowboys were locked on to three prospects that never came near pick them. The team was hoping the likes of Jonathan Cooper (7), Tavon Austin(8) or Sheldon Richardson(13) would slide down into striking distance. Also,rumored the team was very high on Star and might have pulled the trigger had he made it to #18 and the interest in Vacarro was overstated, may have still traded down if he was on the board.

Cooper and Austin never came close and there was clear displeasure in the war room when both players were selected so early. There was hope with the Trio of DT's sliding that Richardson would ultimately be the pick when they got on the clock. Of the three prospects Richardson was the best fit as the penetrating 3tech that the pass rush scheme is built around. Floyd and Star both fit better at 1 tech but there is a feeling around the Ranch that Ratliff is back to form and using a 1st round pick on a reserve NT would be a waste.

- Jerry Jones liked the potential value at #31 and the teams targets were, Justin Pugh(19), Kyle Long(20), Cordarelle Patterson(29), or Sylvester Williams(28)

This was a unique draft with such an upswing of O-lineman being selected higher then most evaluators expectations. Including Frederick there were 9 selected in the first round alone which is 1 out of every 4 picks. All along the coaching staff has preached added value in lineman with versatility and wanted to lock down a prospect with value at multiple positions. Unfortunately for the team both Justin Pugh and Long went back to back after the pick was traded away. Patterson fit from a value/scheme/ familiarity aspect with his former HC pushing to get his guy as a jack of all trades weapon and developmental starter. Williams was a guy that might have been a consideration at #18 if it weren't for his age (25) and inconsistency, but at #31 he had a good combination of size/speed to platoon at both tackle positions.

-The Scouts had a second round grade on Frederick compared to a third on Schwenke and a 3rd/injury flag on Jones.

Call it panic or a reach but with lineman trending up the boards the team wanted to secure the best multidimensional lineman on their board. IT can be argued that Frederick's value would have him at the Boys second pick but with the well drying up it was hard to blame them selecting him while he was available. Schwenke ultimately went in the 4th round so it was possible he would have been available if they chose that route.
I remember watching the War Room. When Tavon Austin was selected Jason Garrett pounded the table, got out of his chair and walked out of sight of the camera. They were much more composed when Cooper was taken. ...kinda like they knew it would happen but were hoping it wouldn't. I think Garrett was really hoping Austin would be there.

I knew it was going to be an offensive heavy draft, but I didn't think WR in Round 1 was the right move for us. I think things played out better for us than if those scenarios came true.

Frederick solidifies our line better than Pugh or Long would have. Sly being old is one thing, but I never was a fan. Much rather have a 3rd round WR that can go deep than a 1st round slot. That kind of investment would've been too much.

It's like we had Angels watching over us. hahaha
Old 04-30-2013, 08:09 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post

Thats wild. While watching the war rood Broddus said that the scouts told him Floyd was the best DT BY FAR and never thought he would be there at 18. Wheres Warmack?

Old 05-01-2013, 02:56 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Grading scale: Love, Really Like, Like, Don't Like, Hate

On JJ Wilcox:

Quote:
"When I heard his voice and he told me who it was, I broke down in tears," Wilcox said. "Everybody knows Mr. Jerry Jones. ... It was a dream come true. Everybody wants to play for the Dallas Cowboys and Iíve finally got a chance to do it."
Gotta love it!.... riiiiight??? I gotta admit, I was staying positive about this pick when we made it because it basically was an attempt to address a need... and the guy was so damn happy about getting picked! So I got psyched too! haha...

But.... I *gulp* I gotta say... I don't love him as a player. If I was in the forum mock, I would've considered this guy in Round 4 or 5... closer to 5. Now, I should preface that by saying I didn't really do any homework on him (small school guys are hard to follow), so maybe he should've been thought of as a 3rd rounder. All I saw was his youtube highlights and I came away thinking he was your typical SS... a willing hitter, but doesn't always wrap up the tackler correctly or take the right angle. The Cowboys are banking on his upside. I do admit for a 1 year player at Safety there are some things he does that look natural, but I don't see him as a starter in this league for a while. For the amount of good Safeties in this draft and to have taken this one... I gotta say, I'm disappointed.

I just know there were players in the draft that would've helped us more. Damontre Moore going one pick later was a dagger in my side. I had difficulty thinking where he would fit in the 4-3, but the Giants took him sooo.....

Grade: Don't Like
Old 05-01-2013, 06:36 AM    (permalink
bluebonnet78
Rookie

bluebonnet78 is a cocksman.bluebonnet78 is a cocksman.bluebonnet78 is a cocksman.

I was a bit dumbfounded at first with the trade value and the Frederick pick, but after a little thinking I have come around.

It seems Dallas didn't draft according to its board with Floyd still there at 18, and got a little too cute trading back. It seemed with Long and Pugh gone, Dallas got really conservative. That sort of decision making worries me about the Jones' as I prefer a more direct follow-the-board approach, but there's a good possibility with his background that Frederick is a solid center even if the value wasn't great. It's also possible someone would have taken him before 47 as well.

Dallas bolstered it's interior line which was needed. It Added depth at the skill positions in the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th and hopefully found at least one future starter. On defense it took a stab at a potential starting safety in Wilcox. I've read good things on Webb and Holloman and hopefully they can at least fill in as solid role players down the road. We'll see.

As always, If Dallas comes away with 3 solid starters from this group we have to be pleased I think even if Floyd is a big hit in Minnesota. Some of these guys won't work out of course. And they might not have targeted all the positions we had hoped , but Dallas found some value in a couple places and the potential is certainly there for a solid draft.

I'll refrain from a grade ... just my thoughts.
bluebonnet78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:20 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From DraftCountdown's very own gpngc!

He does an annual draft review and here's what he had to say about Dallas:

Quote:
Cowboys:

"If it's a lie. Then we fight on that lie."
-- Slim Charles

I had Travis Frederick ranked as the No. 27 player on my board so I won't even entertain the ridiculously misinformed "reach" callers. He's a 10-year starting center that they took over second-tier talents at risky positions. There wasn't a better pick on the board for the Cowboys, whose centers have cost them games by not being able to snap out of freaking shotgun. There's no one else there you can pencil in as a starter for a team that NEEDS to make a playoff push this year. Escobar makes sense too but everyone's looking for Jimmy Graham, forgetting the fact that a Gates/Graham comes around like once every ten years. He'll score some TDs, but he won't be much better than Bennett. Joseph Randle isn't a quality NFL back in terms of skillset but he'll get on the field given their RB mess. Terrance Williams is a one-tricky pony but the Cowboys do need that one trick. He may factor in. And I can't believe Tomlin missed out on his boy. Two solid DB pick-ups to help their awkward and baffling transition to the preferred defense of the early 2000's led by a zombie coordinator. I don't see how that D will work philosophy wise or personnel wise in the NFC.

If you have a TON of time his past draft reviews are a lot of fun and of course mixed with hits and misses.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56629
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:59 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Grades Part 1

Thoughts on the trade: Initially I was as confused and disappointed in the return as most everyone else. On paper it clearly looks as if there should have been more put on the table whether it was an additional pick out swapping second round choices to pair with 74. Post draft it is hard for me to find someone at #18 who would have added up to the value of Frederick and Williams. I liked Floyd but I wasn't in love with him and I have been preaching that Eifert would have been a botched pick because of Hannah (more on that in a bit).

31)My first reaction when we took the clock was look to trade down again with someone looking to grab Geno. Had they been able to pick up a deal like NE received from Minnesota I would had been ecstatic. I would have been fine with Elam or Cyprien but didn't like either as a centerfield prospect and felt the team still values Matt Johnson and Church. My sleeper pick was Tank Carradine who was the top player left on my board. I think it would have made perfect since to add a player to be the heir apparent to Spencer on the strongside saving cap space for the future.

As for Frederick himself, he fits the JG mold to a T and you have to like the way he plays with grit. He is an extremely smart individual and that translates on the field especially at center where he would be partially responsible for calling out blocking assignments. As a pass protector he has the field awareness to check for stunts or blitzes before sliding over on a combo block against the 4-3 and should have no troubles anchoring 1vs1 with most 0 tech in the 3-4. As a run blocker he isn't someone that you can trust to consistently get a second level player in space but it is hard to get around or through his block once the is locked on. He is hailed as a power player and drive blocker but most of his strength looks to be core/lower body. I noticed he doesn't always extend when locked in a phone booth and prefers to get chest to chest to use leg drive when moving defenders. This is consistent with his combine bench of 22 reps, can become much better at drive blocking once he improves his upper body strength. Looks to be very good at steering defenders and using his wide body to squat and wall of initial running lanes.

Grade for fit: A, Grade for need: A, Grade for versatility: B, Grade for Value C-, Overall B

47) Gavin Escobar- Out of the trade down, selection of Frederick and selecting a TE this is the move that left me scratching my head the most. Don't get me wrong, I think Escobar is a really good player that was trending up on boards and has a lot of potential. He has great ball skills and his hands rival anyone in the draft WR included. Has the frame and length to create space and has a large catch radius. Scouts feel he hasn't maximize this athletic potential and can improve all the way around once he enters a NFL conditioning program. The problem I have with this pick is that Witten still has a 3-4 window imo before he starts to decline and last years pick of Hannah provides a developmental pass catcher for the future. All this talk of "12" and "13" personnel is something that has been tried and failed in the past. We have all seen the Fasano and Bennett experiments fall to the way side. This is going to have to be a "prove it to me pick" that there will be more of a commitment to tight packages and running the ball before this gets an value.

Grade for fit: C, Grade for need, D, Grade for versatility B+, Grade for value C, Overall grade: C-

74) Terrance Williams- As much as I was opposed to selecting a TE high, I was elated to get a WR with starting potential. When healthy Miles Austin is one of the best all around wideouts in the NFL but over the last two seasons he has had trouble staying on the field. At 29 to start the season Miles isn't getting younger and with injuries + cap numbers he is starting to look like a cap casualty of the future. He is safe this year for sure and most likely next season as well giving Williams a two year window to grow into the #2 Role. Williams is a perfect fit as an outside WR in this scheme with his ability win one on one battles on deep routes. Has the size/awareness on the outside to box out defenders and win on most jump ball throws. Smooth on double moves and sells the first route well to create separation deep. Needs to develop a bigger route tree and isn't going to offer a lot when it comes to playing in the slot. Can develop better hands, catches with his body to much to be effective at the next level.

Grade for fit: A, Grade for need: B-, Grade for versatility: C+, Grade for value B+:, Overall Grade: B+

80) J.J Wilcox- Wilcox was one of the players that the Cowboys were rumored to really like throughout the process. Having only one year of experience at safety isn't exactly an attractive trait to have unless you come in and really have a stand out season. That is exactly what Wilcox had done last year, proving that he has the skills to improve once he gets a better grip on the position. The one thing that stands out on tape when you watch Wilcox is his ability to play the run. He is a solid wrap up tackler that has a natural feel for angles and running lanes after playing RB/WR for most of his career. He has the athleticism and balls skills to be become a plus defender in pass coverage but needs more time to develop his reaction skills and route recognition. On the plus side it looks as if he is a fast learner and adjusted well to coaching at the senior bowl. Played SS in college but has skills that translate to either position, himself and Matt Johnson look to be interchangable pieces for the future. Along with Williams he looks to be a guy that might need a year of development before he really starts to shine but should be an immediate contributor in sub packages and special teams.

Grade for fit: B+, Grade for need: B+, Grade for versatility: B, Grade for Value C+, Overall Grade: B
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote