Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 09-09-2013, 01:53 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ers1984 View Post
Here are the names who scouts have as the highest rated entering the year (there are 3 non FBS QBs being considered as draftable prospects as well)

A.J. McCarron Alabama
Tajh Boyd Clemson
Derek Carr Fresno State
Aaron Murray Georgia
Zach Mettenberger LSU
Stephen Morris Miami
Tyler Russell Mississippi State
Kain Colter Northwestern
Tom Savage Pittsburgh
David Fales San Jose State
Connor Shaw South Carolina
Casey Pachall TCU
Logan Thomas Virginia Tech
Keith Price Washington
I am not getting those at all.[/quote]
Shaw and Thomas have a lot of "potential". Mettenberger...the idea is probably that once you get him away from LSU and into a more QB-friendly environment he would flourish. He's got a lot of arm talent.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:59 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've never been a Manziel believer....don't think he'll ever amount to anything as a pro.

Mariota, Bridgewater, and Boyd(in no order) are my top 3 QBs.

I kinda like Murray but I've completely jumped off that bandwagon and McCarron isn't anything special either.

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:55 PM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would like to see Mariota throw the deep ball more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown
The most important thing, however, is how strong their swagger factors are.
Newton
South of the Mason Dixon +10 swagger
Barely literate +5 swagger
Thief +15 swagger
Kicked off of a team of thugs +20 swagger
Big, average speed -3 swagger
Hasn't done jacksquat on the field +15 swagger
Total Swagger: 62
ATL College Park Zone 3* +20 swagger Bonus pts
shylo3716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:57 PM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderz4Life View Post
I've never been a Manziel believer....don't think he'll ever amount to anything as a pro.

Mariota, Bridgewater, and Boyd(in no order) are my top 3 QBs.

I kinda like Murray but I've completely jumped off that bandwagon and McCarron isn't anything special either.
Tajh Boyd has been proving his worth as a potential #1 QB selection.

Quote:
Newton
Thief +15 swagger
Old 09-09-2013, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

David Fales is a really good QB with average tools.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:14 AM    (permalink
49ers1984
Rookie

49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I am not getting those at all.
Shaw and Thomas have a lot of "potential". Mettenberger...the idea is probably that once you get him away from LSU and into a more QB-friendly environment he would flourish. He's got a lot of arm talent.[/quote]

Shaw does not have a lot of potential we have seen his ceiling and that is an average QB. Thomas will have to change positions to make an NFL roster. Mettenberger is the one that I can kinda see but I will believe it when I see it.

Last edited by 49ers1984 : 09-10-2013 at 02:17 AM.
49ers1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:43 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ers1984 View Post
Shaw and Thomas have a lot of "potential". Mettenberger...the idea is probably that once you get him away from LSU and into a more QB-friendly environment he would flourish. He's got a lot of arm talent.
Shaw does not have a lot of potential we have seen his ceiling and that is an average QB. Thomas will have to change positions to make an NFL roster. Mettenberger is the one that I can kinda see but I will believe it when I see it.[/quote]

I am surprised you guys are impressed with Mettenberger. He has improved, but he needed to. I don't see anything that puts him anywhere near elite. He is making simple throws with better decision making, but that's it. His tool are average at best and he doesn't have any noteworthy intangibles.
Kaepernick is this years pat white. Thin, gimmick offense and doesn't possess an nfl arm. The ncaa constantly regurgitates clones of past players and amazingly enough, tricks some people into thinking they're better than their cloned half. Kaepernick was a complete waste of a senior bowl qb spot. A better qb will come from the east/west shrine or whatever they're calling it now...count on it

- Genius
Black Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bolt View Post
Shaw does not have a lot of potential we have seen his ceiling and that is an average QB. Thomas will have to change positions to make an NFL roster. Mettenberger is the one that I can kinda see but I will believe it when I see it.
I am surprised you guys are impressed with Mettenberger. He has improved, but he needed to. I don't see anything that puts him anywhere near elite. He is making simple throws with better decision making, but that's it. His tool are average at best and he doesn't have any noteworthy intangibles.[/quote]

Call me crazy but i see a big time pro career for Mettenberger. He has ideal size and a much better arm than people want to give him credit. Don't beat me up if he turns out to be Tyler Wilson but i'm predicting stardom for this kid.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:19 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jeff Matthews - the QB from Cornell may be one of the guys who rises up during the post season workouts. Perhaps another Joe Flacco like prospect.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:57 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aaron Murray. Has all the intangibles , arm strength, accuracy, velocity, pocket awareness. His height might doom him. Could be a steal round 2 or 3. Tony Dungy a said he was an elite prospect. I see a potential Brees /Wilson situation here. Has everything you want but will get knocked for height.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:42 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brett Hundley is growing on me. He looks very polished as a passer. Love that he seems to have very good pocket awareness and field vision. I mean: The way his head/eye movement can go from the 1st read to the next, is very good for a RSO. Running seems like his last option. Knows where WRs are. Throws a nice accurate corner route.

His deep ball accuracy could use some work. I noticed he's a bit inconsistent throwing on the run. I like the back shoulder throws he makes. Needs to learn how to slide a bit more.

His footwork and pocket presence really stood out. Rarely did I notice him breakdown in the footwork department. Steps into throws very good mechanics and velocity on his balls.

I wouldn't declare if I were him in this draft. One more year to polish areas of his game on the deep ball. Seems like he overshot or underthrew. The timing needs to be worked on.

I say top 10 prospect in 2014. #1 overall 2015.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:01 PM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
Brett Hundley is growing on me. He looks very polished as a passer. Love that he seems to have very good pocket awareness and field vision. I mean: The way his head/eye movement can go from the 1st read to the next, is very good for a RSO. Running seems like his last option. Knows where WRs are. Throws a nice accurate corner route.

His deep ball accuracy could use some work. I noticed he's a bit inconsistent throwing on the run. I like the back shoulder throws he makes. Needs to learn how to slide a bit more.

His footwork and pocket presence really stood out. Rarely did I notice him breakdown in the footwork department. Steps into throws very good mechanics and velocity on his balls.

I wouldn't declare if I were him in this draft. One more year to polish areas of his game on the deep ball. Seems like he overshot or underthrew. The timing needs to be worked on.

I say top 10 prospect in 2014. #1 overall 2015.
Famous Jameis!

Quote:
Newton
Thief +15 swagger
Old 09-14-2013, 02:07 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shylo3716 View Post
Famous Jameis!
Haha 1 game and he's deemed the next best thing? He played Pitt. Not saying he isn't great or can't be, but lets wait this out.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:58 PM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
Haha 1 game and he's deemed the next best thing? He played Pitt. Not saying he isn't great or can't be, but lets wait this out.
I'm sarcastically riding the wave.

Quote:
Newton
Thief +15 swagger
Old 09-30-2013, 04:39 AM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shylo3716 View Post
Tajh Boyd has been proving his worth as a potential #1 QB selection.
I'm not even going to address the original post, but do your really mean this? It's his senior year. He's played a lot. There's enough out there to see that he isn't close to a first round pick.

He has a really good arm and it might be enough to get him a look in round 3 from someone, but he's a project with bad footwork, accuracy issues and he's about 6 foot tall. I haven't even gotten to his pre-snap reads, manipulation of the pocket or the fact that he holds onto the ball way too long. Clemson might be the worst blitz pickup team I've seen in a long time. I put that on the QB.

I like Boyd a lot as a college player, but I have no idea why people are still talking about him in round 1. His height alone is enough to keep him out of the first round. Has there ever been a QB under 6'2'' that went in round 1? Vick, off the top or my head, is the smallest QB I can remember going high in round 1.

It's Teddy Bridgewater of Louisville right now. The clear cut favorite to become a Jacksonville Jaguar. He runs such a fluid offense. You can tell that he has command of that offense. Has a good throwing release and very good accuracy. Level of competition is a minor concern because Louisville is so much better in comparison to their competition, but it's nothing to worry about it the long run. He has all the tools. I like his poise in the pocket. I haven't heard anything negative off the field. I think he's legit. And worthy of going 1st overall.

Hundley, UCLA has prototypical size and arm strength, but he has no touch on his deep passes, and it looks like a mechanical issue with his delivery that will prevent him from 'dropping it in the bucket'. If he does try to throw touch passes deep they completely die in the air and look like some of the ugliest throws you'll see. His accuracy deep is also abysmal compared to his intermediate throws. He needs to stay in school. He's also surrounded by way too much talent for my liking. He has clean pockets for five or six seconds at a time and throws a lot of short passes where the receiver gets a lot of YAC. Does he make players around him better? Most of the time I can't tell. First round talent, but there's enough missing to keep him (clearly) out of the running when it comes to the far superior Bridgewater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:31 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tajh Boyd has gotten better every single year he's been at Clemson. His height may scare some teams off, but there's no way I would be surprised to see him picked in the top 32. In fact I expect him to be one of the top QBs taken.
I'd love to see Boyd on the Vikes.
IMO he's Donovan McNabb lite, with hopefully better accuracy in the pros.

Aaron Murray/Boyd/Manziel are all vertically challenged, but I think Boyd gets selected before the other two by maybe a round.

It's still so early in the process.

No one thought RG3 was a top 3 pick in September of 2012 either.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:45 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

After watching all three this weekend i'm sticking with Bridgewater, Bortles and Manziel in the first and if they come out Mariota and Hundley. Probably in that order also.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:56 AM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
I'm not even going to address the original post, but do your really mean this? It's his senior year. He's played a lot. There's enough out there to see that he isn't close to a first round pick.

He has a really good arm and it might be enough to get him a look in round 3 from someone, but he's a project with bad footwork, accuracy issues and he's about 6 foot tall. I haven't even gotten to his pre-snap reads, manipulation of the pocket or the fact that he holds onto the ball way too long. Clemson might be the worst blitz pickup team I've seen in a long time. I put that on the QB.

I like Boyd a lot as a college player, but I have no idea why people are still talking about him in round 1. His height alone is enough to keep him out of the first round. Has there ever been a QB under 6'2'' that went in round 1? Vick, off the top or my head, is the smallest QB I can remember going high in round 1.

It's Teddy Bridgewater of Louisville right now. The clear cut favorite to become a Jacksonville Jaguar. He runs such a fluid offense. You can tell that he has command of that offense. Has a good throwing release and very good accuracy. Level of competition is a minor concern because Louisville is so much better in comparison to their competition, but it's nothing to worry about it the long run. He has all the tools. I like his poise in the pocket. I haven't heard anything negative off the field. I think he's legit. And worthy of going 1st overall.

Hundley, UCLA has prototypical size and arm strength, but he has no touch on his deep passes, and it looks like a mechanical issue with his delivery that will prevent him from 'dropping it in the bucket'. If he does try to throw touch passes deep they completely die in the air and look like some of the ugliest throws you'll see. His accuracy deep is also abysmal compared to his intermediate throws. He needs to stay in school. He's also surrounded by way too much talent for my liking. He has clean pockets for five or six seconds at a time and throws a lot of short passes where the receiver gets a lot of YAC. Does he make players around him better? Most of the time I can't tell. First round talent, but there's enough missing to keep him (clearly) out of the running when it comes to the far superior Bridgewater.

Rex Grossman was 6'1" and went in the 1st Round. Ironically enough, I've been comparing Boyd to Rex Grossman coming out of Florida since Boyd was a sophomore. He reminds me so much of the type of QB Grossman was under Spurrier. Easily the best pro prospect of all Spurrier's QB's.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:27 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
After watching all three this weekend i'm sticking with Bridgewater, Bortles and Manziel in the first and if they come out Mariota and Hundley. Probably in that order also.
I have the same top 5 just in a different order.

Bridgewater
Hundley
Bortles
Manziel
Mariota

Bridgewater: Still the most complete QB in the draft. Hard to find too many weaknesses in his game. Should go 1st overall.

Hundley: I've compared him to Tannehill as a prospect because he's a somewhat raw passer with great physical ability. I think he could benefit from an extra year in college but assuming he comes out I think he goes top 10 on talent just like Tannehill did. He'll probably struggle as a rookie if he comes out just like Tannehill.

Bortles: He's gaining a lot of momentum and it's easy to see why. He's coming off a great game against South Carolina where he almost led his team to a huge upset. He has the physical ability to play in the NFL and I like his confidence/swagger as a small school QB. The comparisons to Jay Cutler aren't unjustified although he doesn't have Cutler's arm strength but hopefully has a better attitude. More than any other Qb his stock is going to be influenced by his predraft workouts/interviews. He needs to prove himself next to his more well known peers. I could see him going middle 1st to a team like the Vikings or be a target at the end of round 1 or early 2nd. It's not impossible for him to make it to the top 10 depending on how the draft shakes out.

Manziel: He's one of the best ever at improvising when plays break down, he has adequate arm strength, can throw an accurate ball, and has Russell Wilson like athleticism. I don't like his decision making at this point. Also while the concerns about his character are a little overblown I still have concerns about his maturity. Has a wide range for where he could end up going depending on which team falls in love with him.

Mariota: The drop off of the read option in the NFL this season certainly hurts his stock but Chip Kelly's offense has shown that it can be successful which is good news for him. He has electrifying athleticism but he's not going to make it in the NFL unless he improves as a passer. He has the tools and his upside is incredible. While he has a mich higher chance of busting than someone like McCarron, I don't think you can play it safe with franchise Qbs.

That's 5 guys who could potentially be first rounders if they all come out and that's not even mentioning Boyd or McCarron. This is shaping up to be a pretty incredible QB class IMO.
fredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:08 PM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

gstock05 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It's early, and it's highly unlikely he'll come out this year, but Braxton Miller has looked like he's taken big steps in his passing this year. Last year, he had issues with deep balls, footwork, and making the proper reads.

In his 2 games of play this year, he's made noticeable improvements in all those areas, and he clearly goes through all his reads now while having improved accuracy on deep routes (would have had 5 touchdowns against wisconsin if Devin Smith didn't drop a pass he should have caught).

The good thing about Braxton is that he has tons of upside, and was a pretty raw prospect the last two years, and has made huge improvements every year towards becoming a pocket passer. Like I said, he's unlikely to come out this year, but next year, I can easily see him as a top 10 pick IF he continues to develop at the same rate he has.

This year - I'm not big on Hundley. It's not that he's a bad quarterback, but he reminds me too much of Byron Leftwich with his delivery, and I'm not a big fan of quarterbacks with slow releases as they rarely have NFL success. I think his accuracy could improve as well (it's not bad, but it's not "great" either).

On the other hand Mariota is a complete stud. His passes land exactly where they need to for receivers to gain yards after the catch. He has shown the ability to consistently thread the needle without making bad decisions. His receivers actually seem to drop the ball quite a bit, which impacts his already insane stats. As for passing, he has a pretty strong arm, a quick release, and the ability to get quite a few yards running the ball. Kaepernick actually seems to be a pretty good comparison at this point. The only thing you really wish to see more of is downfield passing from Mariota, but that's not a huge part of Oregon's offense. With that said, the downfield passes you do see have been pretty accurate from Mariota, so it's probably not a huge concern.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:36 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstock05 View Post
It's early, and it's highly unlikely he'll come out this year, but Braxton Miller has looked like he's taken big steps in his passing this year. Last year, he had issues with deep balls, footwork, and making the proper reads.

In his 2 games of play this year, he's made noticeable improvements in all those areas, and he clearly goes through all his reads now while having improved accuracy on deep routes (would have had 5 touchdowns against wisconsin if Devin Smith didn't drop a pass he should have caught).

The good thing about Braxton is that he has tons of upside, and was a pretty raw prospect the last two years, and has made huge improvements every year towards becoming a pocket passer. Like I said, he's unlikely to come out this year, but next year, I can easily see him as a top 10 pick IF he continues to develop at the same rate he has.

This year - I'm not big on Hundley. It's not that he's a bad quarterback, but he reminds me too much of Byron Leftwich with his delivery, and I'm not a big fan of quarterbacks with slow releases as they rarely have NFL success. I think his accuracy could improve as well (it's not bad, but it's not "great" either).

On the other hand Mariota is a complete stud. His passes land exactly where they need to for receivers to gain yards after the catch. He has shown the ability to consistently thread the needle without making bad decisions. His receivers actually seem to drop the ball quite a bit, which impacts his already insane stats. As for passing, he has a pretty strong arm, a quick release, and the ability to get quite a few yards running the ball. Kaepernick actually seems to be a pretty good comparison at this point. The only thing you really wish to see more of is downfield passing from Mariota, but that's not a huge part of Oregon's offense. With that said, the downfield passes you do see have been pretty accurate from Mariota, so it's probably not a huge concern.
I'm really not sure what you're talking about with Hundley's release. I don't see much of a difference between him and Mariota and certainly nothing like Byron Leftwich. The thing that confuses me about Mariota is how he has a 56% completion percentage this year on such a high powered offense. I've actually seen him make a lot of accurate throws which is why this is so confusing. Anybody who's watched him this year have an answer?
fredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post

Are you discounting his ability to run?
"A really good arm" and the ability to run like a RB is a lot to work with.
I don't think his technical issues are as pronounced as Locker's were.
Do you think his mental aspect is that poor that he can't be successful?

Where do you think Manziel's is going? Both are certainly under 6'2.

Imo, Boyd's potential is somewhere between a Russell Wilson and a Tyrod Taylor. Which is good enough to make teams like the Vikings, Bucs, Raiders better. In hindsight, Wilson's worthy of a first, and Tyrod's better then a 6th rounder. I see Boyd as 1st-2nd round pick, assuming he dots the i's post season.

I'm not huge on Hundley right now either. He looks like he has a lot further to go than most people are admitting. I don't think he looked especially good vs Nebraska. His size, character and initial success is outshining some of the holes in his game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredder View Post
I'm really not sure what you're talking about with Hundley's release. I don't see much of a difference between him and Mariota and certainly nothing like Byron Leftwich. The thing that confuses me about Mariota is how he has a 56% completion percentage this year on such a high powered offense. I've actually seen him make a lot of accurate throws which is why this is so confusing. Anybody who's watched him this year have an answer?
The more I see it, the more I'm disliking Mariota's delivery/release. It's 3 quarters and a flick. And it's not terribly accurate. His ball placement isn't very good. He still a work in progress and could refine things in the future but right now he's reminding me an awful lot of Vince Young.

My top dozen right now. Broken up between the pocket passers and runner passers. (Overall)

Pocket:
1. Bridgewater (1)
2. Mannion (4)
3. Mettenberger (5)
4. Carr (8)
5. J.Matthews (9)
6. Murray (10)
7. McCarron (11)
8. Morris (12)

Runner:
1. Manziel (2)
2. Boyd (3)
3. Mariota (6)
4. Hundley (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*

Last edited by Brown Leader : 09-30-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:37 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Leader View Post
Are you discounting his ability to run?
"A really good arm" and the ability to run like a RB is a lot to work with.
I don't think his technical issues are as pronounced as Locker's were.
Do you think his mental aspect is that poor that he can't be successful?

Where do you think Manziel's is going? Both are certainly under 6'2.

Imo, Boyd's potential is somewhere between a Russell Wilson and a Tyrod Taylor. Which is good enough to make teams like the Vikings, Bucs, Raiders better.
I don't like Boyd's running style. When he has designed runs he isn't elusive or fast. He's more like a Tebow type where he powers through defenders. He takes a lot of hits (both inside the pocket and designed runs). He doesn't slide or get down. He's always getting hit. He has a thick frame and he can take the hits in college, but he won't be nearly as effective in the pros and his coaches will eventually tell him to stop. He is going to have injury concerns if he runs like he does in the pros.

I still don't like watching read option QBs. I think it can be a wrinkle in a teams offense in the NFL. Not their entire offense. Boyd is in the shotgun 24/7. He starts out 7 yards deep before he even gets the snap and then drops back three to four more yards. He puts a ton of pressure on his tackles and blocking tight ends in pass protection, which is why teams are blitzing him so much from the corners / edges. He's under pressure all the time and half his interior linemen are never blocking anyone.

I also don't like the fact that he hardly ever climbs the pocket, but instead bails out and looks to roll outside the pocket. This may all come back to his height; I'm not positive. But I see a ton of problems in his game that simply doesn't translate to the pros. I'd be shocked if he goes in Round 1.

I think Manziel is a much better talent (not arm talent) despite being virtually the same height.
Quote:
Quote:
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Quote:
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Last edited by BigBanger : 10-01-2013 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:11 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't really see what Jake Locker can do that Tajh Boyd can't.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:34 AM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
I don't really see what Jake Locker can do that Tajh Boyd can't.
Locker was a much better prospect, much more advanced... And he was still a project. Boyd is not going anywhere near the first round. It won't happen.

Locker will probably prove that he wasn't worthy of going in the Top 10. He's not really a franchise changing player at his position and I don't think he's going to put the Titans over the top. Locker came from a pro style offense and was coached up a lot better than Boyd. I don't think Locker is going to be a complete bust, but I doubt he ever develops into a great player. It's hard to spend a Top 10 pick on a QB that's more deserving of going in the late first round (or early second), and then building a complete team around him to make him worthy of said draft choice. You should expect that type of QB prospect (Top 10) to turn your average team into a good team. You shouldn't have to build a great team to make your average QB look good. Not if your spending a Top 10 pick on him.

I actually think Boyd has a terrific arm (one of the best in this draft class), but I've never seen a QB line up so deep in the shotgun. Most QBs usually line up 5 yards deep. Boyd is an extra two yards deeper (7 yards). I can only believe that is due to his difficulty to see over the line. And then he drops 3-5 more yards after the snap (unless it's a quick screen pass to the outside). Boyd puts so much pressure on his offensive tackles to kick slide because he creates easy rush angles for opposing pass rushers. He's still very raw considering how much starting experience he has. His college offense does him no favors. Comparing him to McNabb is completely off base. They have no similarities.

I hardly ever see Boyd step up in the pocket if he feels pressure. He's bailing out and rolling to one side of the field or the other. Gabbert got a bunch of criticism for it. I thought it could be corrected. Doesn't look like it can be. I think Boyd's lack of height shows up on tape. I don't see it deterring Manziel on the field, that's why I have less concern with Manziel.

I think there's two QBs - based solely on talent - that are worthy of going in the first round (from what I've seen so far). Bridgewater looks like a true blue chip player. Manziel has his issues: some physical limitations but most of his problems are due to maturity and this persona that seems to invite trouble. I think Manziel is every bit as talented as Bridgewater. But I do realize there is a lot more risk with Manziel.

EDIT: I just read the entire thread for the first time and had no idea how much this board had a giant hard on for Boyd.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by BigBanger : 10-25-2013 at 08:17 AM.