Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:11 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The 1990 Giants did win that Super Bowl, but the Bills are widely considered the better team in terms of talent. If those teams played 10 times, the Bills would have won 6-7 times. The disparity wasn't all that great, but the Bills had more talent. Parcells outcoached Levy.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:15 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
also: i'm not sure i buy the 98 broncos (as much as i'd like to) in a greatest list. they were good, but they weren't one of the best (granted they were in the "runners up" area).

on a sidenote, didn't the 90 giants beat the bills by 2 in the super bowl? i don't remember that team (irregardless of that game) being highly impressive. what'd i miss?
I put the Broncos on the list because they steam rolled the competition. They were 14-0 and were very close to be undefeated but just choked it at the end. They were so dominant on offense, they benched TD for the 4th quarter of like 7 games, and he still had 1900+ rushing yards! Thats amazing. They went on to destroy and deficate everyone in the playoffs (although the Jets had a chance if they didnt fumble so much), I just think they were impressive in how dominant they were over the course of the season.

In regards to the 90 Giants, I think anytime you can lose your starting RB and QB to season ending injury in week 1/2, and still go on to win the SB, beating what was essentially the 89 49ers team in the NFC championship game then a Buffalo Bill team in the SB that outscored its opponents in the playoffs by 92 points, thats pretty damn impressive.

One thing alot of people overlook about that 90 team. Our injuries. Yes, we squeeked out a SB win, but what if we had Simms and Hampton healthy? It wouldnt even be close, we wouldve been statistically a much better team.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:17 AM    (permalink
luckyjackaubrey
Veteran

Location: South Jersey via Nantucket thru Presque Isle with future considerations
luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
The 1990 Giants did win that Super Bowl, but the Bills are widely considered the better team in terms of talent. If those teams played 10 times, the Bills would have won 6-7 times. The disparity wasn't all that great, but the Bills had more talent. Parcells outcoached Levy.
Didn't that team have 4 shots at a B title and come up -fer ? You can not make statements like " the Bills would have won 6-7 times " when YOU LOST FOUR TIMES !!
luckyjackaubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:19 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Um, I'm an Eagles fan, so I'm pretty unbiased. Fact is that the Giants needed to throw a "perfect game" to win. The Bills didn't execute, and Parcells outcoached Levy. It's a fact. Even the Giants fans won't argue with Buffalo being a more talented team at the time.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 04-04-2007, 09:22 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Um, I'm an Eagles fan, so I'm pretty unbiased. Fact is that the Giants needed to throw a "perfect game" to win. The Bills didn't execute, and Parcells outcoached Levy. It's a fact. Even the Giants fans won't argue with Buffalo being a more talented team at the time.
Buffalo was definately a more talented team. No doubt.

I think coaching staffs should be considered part of the team, but as far as player talent, Buffalo had more talent on that field then we did. They shouldve won.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:29 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
and they were, but it feels like we were pretty much unchallenged all season. i mean, name 2 weaker super bowl teams than the 98 falcons (as a quick example)? elway, at that point, had completely faded and was essentially living on being a game manager and the other team's respect for him. meh.

i'm also not sold on buffalo. they were a good team, but they had very little competition of note in the AFC (compared to the NFC). it's also interesting to me that one of the potential best super bowl teams won on a missed field goal. like i said above, and as much as i respect bsaza's opinion that i didn't quote, i just don't buy that the bills were that great a team, so it's hard for me to accept that the giants team that took the field (in which simms and hampton aren't really relevant) was one of the best ever.

Its not. I put them under honorable mention for the teams I liked in the past 20 or so years. I think in the past 20 or so years, they deserve mention. But for best ever, no. It just urks me a little when Buffalo fans feel that they were without question the better team. Yes, you had more talent on the field, but we had the better coaching staff, and had we been at full strength, wouldve won by more than 1 point. Our RB was like 40 and ran probably a 5.3 40 time that year. If we were that bad, stop the run. Stop the 40 year old RB. Thats all you had to do to beat us. But they couldnt.

The Broncos didn't need Elway to be great. The way they ran the ball that year, he didnt have to be. That was when Shannahan's ZBS scheme was at its peak. No one could stop it.

That WR core was no joke either. Rod Woodson, Shannon Sharpe, and a guy i like to call "the little engine that could" was a solid trio.

That SB wouldve been alot more exciting had Minny made it. But the curse of Denny Green had to rear its ugly head.

I still think Denver wouldve beat them though.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:30 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Some Weak SB Losing Teams in recent memory:

1998 Falcons
1995 Chargers
1980 Eagles
1991 Broncos

Old 04-04-2007, 09:33 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Some Weak SB Losing Teams in recent memory:

1998 Falcons
1995 Chargers
1980 Eagles
1991 Broncos
2000 Giants

*sniff* Its hard to admit it, but its true.

I think the Skins played the Bills in 91. And the Chargers were in 94? I think the Steelers were 95.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:36 AM    (permalink
steel man
DC GFX Team
Veteran

steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i can not help that i like to brag on the Steelers'. i found a couple of web pages and thought that it would be a thread that would get people to talking......sorry i bleed black and gold....no, i am not sorry. i am proud of the Steelers'! i thought that you guys liked to talk about topics like this.

Matthew 19:26
Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but With God ALL things are possible
steel man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:37 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

My mistake on the years. Thanks, BBD.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:38 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel man View Post
i can not help that i like to brag on the Steelers'. i found a couple of web pages and thought that it would be a thread that would get people to talking......sorry i bleed black and gold....no, i am not sorry. i am proud of the Steelers'! i thought that you guys liked to talk about topics like this.
We do. Just dont lace it with blind homerism. I agree with you that the 78 team was the best, but come on. You made like 3 threads in a row about "the steelers are the best zomg!!". Take a more neutral approach to it.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:39 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Steel Man, this is not a Steelers forum. This is a football forum. It is not wise to come in here and be completely biased and not back up your arguments with actual analysis. You are trying to build your rep here, so come in and discuss. Starting a bunch of different threads and not sticking around to help them grow into discussions is irresponsible.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:47 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Terry Bradshaw vs. Hulk Hogan circa 1985 in a Steel Cage Death Match...

Bradshaw would KILL Hogan...

ha.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:52 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Terry Bradshaw vs. Hulk Hogan circa 1985 in a Steel Cage Death Match...

Bradshaw would KILL Hogan...

ha.
Terry Bradshaw IS Hulk Hogan. He'd play football, then put Macho Man in a head lock. Zomg the Steelers are like the most versatile team evarrr!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 09:53 AM    (permalink
steel man
DC GFX Team
Veteran

steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Steel Man, this is not a Steelers forum. This is a football forum. It is not wise to come in here and be completely biased and not back up your arguments with actual analysis. You are trying to build your rep here, so come in and discuss. Starting a bunch of different threads and not sticking around to help them grow into discussions is irresponsible.
1st off i did back up my thread, i had a link to the web page that i ran across that gave me the ideal to post this topic and where they said the '78' Steelers' are the best.
2nd i am at work and i try to come back as often as i can(i think that is being responsible), or i may start a thread before i leave to come to work or before i go to bed and then can not revisit until hours later.

i admit i can not say anything bad about the Steelers', but it does not mean that what i do say is not true or not valuable.

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but With God ALL things are possible
Old 04-04-2007, 10:01 AM    (permalink
steel man
DC GFX Team
Veteran

p.s. on the thread that i started about the "greatest draft ever" was the same deal, i ran across a web page and it had the '74' Steelers as having the greatest draft ever and i thought you guys would like to see that and that it would spark discussion.
if you want to read it here it is
http://www.drafthistory.com/index.ph...try/article15/

bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
1st off i did back up my thread, i had a link to the web page that i ran across that gave me the ideal to post this topic and where they said the '78' Steelers' are the best.
2nd i am at work and i try to come back as often as i can(i think that is being responsible), or i may start a thread before i leave to come to work or before i go to bed and then can not revisit until hours later.

i admit i can not say anything bad about the Steelers', but it does not mean that what i do say is not true or not valuable.
Posting a link to start an opinion discussion is generally not a good place to start. That is just my opinion. In the real world, nothing is black and white. I am an Eagles fan, and I am prone to criticize my team. It is part of being a fan. You have to put aside your fandom in a lot of cases to participate in the discussion.

In this case, most people agree with you. However, your starting the topic explicitly to brag about your favorite team is not favorable to the forum. I appreciate your efforts, but there are ways of going about this that are better for all involved.

bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
bradshaw vs. shatner, 1970-whatever. i'd pay a lot of money to see that cage match.
Shatner would confuse Bradshaw with his wordplay, then while Bradshaw stood there thinking hard, Shatner would hit him with a liver shot.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:02 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
p.s. on the thread that i started about the "greatest draft ever" was the same deal, i ran across a web page and it had the '74' Steelers as having the greatest draft ever and i thought you guys would like to see that and that it would spark discussion.
if you want to read it here it is
http://www.drafthistory.com/index.ph...try/article15/
I have read about that draft, and it was absolutely incredible. Directly responsible for the Steelers' dominance, particularly in 1978.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:02 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Shatner would confuse Bradshaw with his wordplay, then while Bradshaw stood there thinking hard, Shatner would hit him with a liver shot.
I.. am going. to kick. you... inthenuts...

Old 04-04-2007, 10:05 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like I could vote for anyone else.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:07 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post

I thought you hate the Fridge?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:16 AM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Best ever?

Hard to top 1972 dolphins (yes homer to say) 1st offense, 1st defense, undefeated even with their backup QB half of the year.

1978 steelers or the 1972 dolphins are most often considered the two.
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:17 AM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post

Dont look now but I think Marino just completed another TD on them again :)

What I remember most at that super bowl team though seriously was not letting Walter Peyton score a TD in the Super bowl.

Little Twit Ditka

Last edited by Finsfan79 : 04-04-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2006 Colts are the first team in NFL history to go 9-0 in consecutive seasons. Their back-to-back wins at Denver and at New England made NFL history. The team was 2 last-second game-winning FGs away, one of which was 60 yards at Tennessee, from having the best record in all of football - yes, better than everyone's darling San Diego Chargers. Their defense was dominant in the playoffs, when it mattered.

Shame on you, people.

:p

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
It has to be the 96 Packers and if we didnt have an IMO overrated HC in Homgren we could have won it in 97.
Holmgren is one of the best coaches of his era imo.