Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 04-04-2007, 08:12 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Chris Houston

Where does he project in this draft? He's starting to grow on me. I hate taking CBs early, but Im starting to think that the safest approach to building up our defense is to build the secondary this year and see if our coaching staff remains in tact.

That way, that leaves the door open for a wide variety of coaches next year in case TC loses his job. And you improve the defense at the same time like you planned, and technically you address our biggest cause for concern, the secondary.

Im really starting to think we should go CB and FS in rounds 1 and 2, or FS and CB. 3 names come to mind right now. Houston, Revis, and McCauley for CB. Nelson and Weddle come to mind for FS.

Where does Houston fall, and whats your thoughts on him?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:18 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Where does he project in this draft? He's starting to grow on me. I hate taking CBs early, but Im starting to think that the safest approach to building up our defense is to build the secondary this year and see if our coaching staff remains in tact.

That way, that leaves the door open for a wide variety of coaches next year in case TC loses his job. And you improve the defense at the same time like you planned, and technically you address our biggest cause for concern, the secondary.

Im really starting to think we should go CB and FS in rounds 1 and 2, or FS and CB. 3 names come to mind right now. Houston, Revis, and McCauley for CB. Nelson and Weddle come to mind for FS.

Where does Houston fall, and whats your thoughts on him?
He is starting to grow on me as well but he still in the 5-7 range on my board of players that should be available at #20. Guys who all of the sudden jump up this time of year because of measurables scare me a bit, and that is exactly the case here with Houston. He was good, not great this past year and does not seem to have the highest on field IQ. He seemed lost so many times against LSU (only tape I have as of right now) and even though he does wlel in press coverage (no denying that) he can be beat with a simple stop and go route or misdirectional play, which is not what you want in man coverage. If I'm not mistaken, all of his INTs were in one game, that game being Mississippi State. Not too big of a deal but he I would have liked to see more consistent production out of the kid before I spent a first on him.

If we do trade down past the 26-27 mark, I could certainly see us taking him and while I would not be ecstatic about it, he does have a lot of potential. He is my #3 CB behind Ross and Revis right now but with me losing some confidence in Revis right now, he may be bumped up to #2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:33 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
He is starting to grow on me as well but he still in the 5-7 range on my board of players that should be available at #20. Guys who all of the sudden jump up this time of year because of measurables scare me a bit, and that is exactly the case here with Houston. He was good, not great this past year and does not seem to have the highest on field IQ. He seemed lost so many times against LSU (only tape I have as of right now) and even though he does wlel in press coverage (no denying that) he can be beat with a simple stop and go route or misdirectional play, which is not what you want in man coverage. If I'm not mistaken, all of his INTs were in one game, that game being Mississippi State. Not too big of a deal but he I would have liked to see more consistent production out of the kid before I spent a first on him.

If we do trade down past the 26-27 mark, I could certainly see us taking him and while I would not be ecstatic about it, he does have a lot of potential. He is my #3 CB behind Ross and Revis right now but with me losing some confidence in Revis right now, he may be bumped up to #2.

I heard he shut down some of the top tier WRs in this draft class? If thats the case, thats impressive.

And bump and run is probably what he'll be asked to do the most. As with any CB, it will take a full year in the NFL before he "gets it". I think a solid year in the NFL will help fix alot of his mental lapses. Start him at nickel for this year, bump him up as he gets more mature.

I know this is wishful thinking. But think about this. Imagine if Houston pans out, and Underwood pans out, and we somehow get Weddle or maybe even Nelson in round 1. Imagine how quickly that instantly solidifies our secondary. Yeah, its good to dream. Theres no action going on right now, so these types of thoughts go through my head this time of year.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:39 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I heard he shut down some of the top tier WRs in this draft class? If thats the case, thats impressive.

And bump and run is probably what he'll be asked to do the most. As with any CB, it will take a full year in the NFL before he "gets it". I think a solid year in the NFL will help fix alot of his mental lapses. Start him at nickel for this year, bump him up as he gets more mature.

I know this is wishful thinking. But think about this. Imagine if Houston pans out, and Underwood pans out, and we somehow get Weddle or maybe even Nelson in round 1. Imagine how quickly that instantly solidifies our secondary. Yeah, its good to dream. Theres no action going on right now, so these types of thoughts go through my head this time of year.
We can run through the if's for the next 4 weeks, it's just going to be a matter of who will be something we can build around in a couple years. Houston could very well be a CB that could be built around, so I don't think it would be a bad pick because again, there are a handful of directions we could go in this draft and it still be successful.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 04-04-2007, 08:48 AM    (permalink
moc182
All-Pro

moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.

I think he's the best corner in the draft by a pretty wide margin. Very fast and physical with solid ball skills. I have a feeling he's not going to be around at 20, but if he is I certainly wouldn't mind him in blue.

"A real man makes his own luck." Billy Zane, Titanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmitt Smith
Donít quit, donít even quit.
moc182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:53 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

thats the thing right there. Where is he projected? Some have him as an early 2nd, some have him as a mid 1st. His status is all over the place. Im trying to figure out where he'll go.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:59 AM    (permalink
moc182
All-Pro

moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.

I doubt he gets past Cinci. I'd guess he falls between the Rams and Bengals.

Quote:
Old 04-04-2007, 09:05 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

He is all over the place because people know that teams will reach for a guy with outstanding measurables. But in reality, he has not proved much as a CB, very up and down.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 04-04-2007, 09:10 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hes my #2 corner, I'd love for him to be the pick
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:03 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

You could tell that my head is all over the place the past 2 days, with Carriker and Houston threads. Nothing is going on right now, and its almost like Im trying to find something that would excite us. Dammit, can the draft start already. My patience is running thin.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:39 AM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Houston has insane athleticism. We'll most likely be taking a corner in round 1 and Houston should definately be an option.
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:40 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chris Houston is my #1 player that I do not want the Giants to draft. I dont like any of the CBs as a first rounder other then Hall, but if it came to that I would much rather have Revis.

And what does Houston have over Marcus McCualey? Why is he graded higher? It doesnt really make too much sense to me.

We ought to take a CB in the 2nd or 3rd. that and the new defense should be more then enough to make us adaquete in the secondary.

I just say no to Houston. I cant see him working out on our team.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:46 PM    (permalink
moc182
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
Chris Houston is my #1 player that I do not want the Giants to draft. I dont like any of the CBs as a first rounder other then Hall, but if it came to that I would much rather have Revis.

And what does Houston have over Marcus McCualey? Why is he graded higher? It doesnt really make too much sense to me.

We ought to take a CB in the 2nd or 3rd. that and the new defense should be more then enough to make us adaquete in the secondary.

I just say no to Houston. I cant see him working out on our team.

Did you watch any Fresno games this season? McCauley was awful. He's got all the physical tools but while he was getting burnt by subpar competition Houston was shutting down Robert Meachem and Dwayne Jarrett.

Quote:
Old 04-04-2007, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post

I am in complete agreement on this. There's a huge upside to Houston, but there are a lot things that scare about how he plays as Number 10 mentioned.

At this point I think either Revis or Houston will be taken before out pick, and if we traded down I'd take Houston in a heart beat. If Revis is available to us at the 20th overall pick, I would much rather take him because he seems to me like he's a much better prospect in terms of overall game than Houston.