Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 02-26-2014, 02:20 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Carr to the Browns???

Quote:
NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah believes that Fresno State QB Derek Carr is the Browns guy at No.26.
"Their guy is (Fresno State quarterback) Derek Carr and they're going to take a different player with the fourth pick and they want to take Derek Carr with their second one (at No. 26)...I heard that from several different places," Jeremiah said while appearing on the Dan Patrick Show. Carr has been mentioned as a possible top 10 pick, but he lacks balance while throwing and could aggravate fans in the same way that Jay Cutler and Matthew Stafford do.
So are they liking Watkins at 4? If I were the Rams, that is who I would tab at #2
3. RB - Jeremy Hill - LSU
4. C - Travis Swanson - Arkansas
4. DT - Justin Ellis - Louisianna Tech
6. LB - Kevin Pierre-Louis - Boston College
6. WR - Jeremy Gallon - Michigan
7. OG - Zach Fulton - Tennessee

UDFA
QB - Stephen Morris - Miami
CB - Kendall James - Maine
RWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:28 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It seems like something the Browns would do. Waiting until the end of the first to draft their QB worked out so well for them last time right? I still think it's best to just ignore every rumor you hear at this point.
fredder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:39 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Passing on a top tier Quarterback for a scrub, yep that sounds about right for the Browns franchise.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Carr ran well and my guess is he'll kill his pro day. Once you get past the Carr name the guy is a good prospect. If i'm Cleveland and i have the choice of Watkins and Carr or Manziel and (insert 5th or 6th best wr) i'm going with the former.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:52 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Carr ran well and my guess is he'll kill his pro day. Once you get past the Carr name the guy is a good prospect. If i'm Cleveland and i have the choice of Watkins and Carr or Manziel and (insert 5th or 6th best wr) i'm going with the former.
But he isn't that good. He throws a ton of screens which inflates his numbers, folds under pressure and is pretty horrible at completing anything beyond 10 yards.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:00 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
But he isn't that good. He throws a ton of screens which inflates his numbers, folds under pressure and is pretty horrible at completing anything beyond 10 yards.
I agree with this. Why can't we criticize this guy without people claiming we're only doing it because of his last name? If he was Derek Manning or Derek Brady I would still question his ability to succeed in the NFL.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:15 PM    (permalink
twiz
Veteran

twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, you can start mocking ILB's in the first or second to Cleveland since D'Qwell is gone. No decent ILB left on the roster.
twiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:16 PM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, this is probably a bit of an overstatement. He throws a pretty deep ball. And it's not like he's lacking the arm velocity to hit the 15-25 yard in routes. Besides, the NFL is a predominately 3-step drop game these days. Tom Brady has made a career off of short passes and RAC receivers. Plus, if Carr gets to play with Sammy Watkins....he'll still get to throw plenty of screens. And he has a pretty decent OL to work with, especially on the blind side.
rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:17 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What is Carr's ceiling? I have no doubt Watkins will be very good but I doubt he's going to be significantly better (if better at all) than Megatron, AJ Green, or Brandon Marshall. So is Carr going to be better than Stafford, Cutler, or Dalton? I realize that is something of an oversimplification but I question the idea of passing on a franchise QB to get a great WR and an ok QB.

Of course if the Browns don't like any of the QBs then sure, go for Watkins.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredder View Post
I agree with this.

As do I. I think anyone who drafts Derek Carr under the golden rule concept is going to find 214 pounds of iron pyrite come training camp. For the sake of anyone else in the Carr family who might want to play football at a professional, I hope I'm wrong. But I don't see this guy as a success story in the NFL unless he falls into a really good situation.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdawg View Post
Yeah, this is probably a bit of an overstatement. He throws a pretty deep ball. And it's not like he's lacking the arm velocity to hit the 15-25 yard in routes.
It's not so much that he can't, but rather that he doesn't. Even Chad Pennington started trying to throw it deep when he was about to get benched. But that's what it took to even get him to try towards the end of his tenure with the Jets. And no, I'm not comparing Carr to Pennington, I'm just using it as an example of the difficulties of getting past a quarterback's ingrained tendencies.

Last edited by Crickett : 02-26-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:21 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Threw beyond 10 yds 30% of the time, same as Bortles. My guess is he wasn't calling the plays there at Fresno st either.

I'm not in love with the guy but with the Browns 2nd first I think that is a good move.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:25 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

If we ignore how we feel about Carr as a prospect doesn't it seem a little crazy for them to bank on him being available at 26? What happens if somebody else grabs him? Do they just wait until next year? It's been a while since I've seen a mock draft with him being available that late.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Threw beyond 10 yds 30% of the time, same as Bortles. My guess is he wasn't calling the plays there at Fresno st either.
Carr needed to demonstrate this at the Senior Bowl and he didn't. With very few exceptions, all of his passes there were one read short passes as well.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:31 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Carr = meh. Better than Weeden, but meh.

Would rather get Bridgewater (and when that fails) get Mettenberger, and give Hoyer a chance to start.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:32 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, Babylon, I'm not going to let you off of the hook on your terrible overrating of Jake Locker.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
Also, Babylon, I'm not going to let you off of the hook on your terrible overrating of Jake Locker.
I was wrong in thinking you were my friend too.

Locker actually played well this year when healthy. That has become the bigger question with him.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:47 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Did Jeremiah give us any insight like this last year in regards to teams' targets?

He's not really a reporter with a scoop - he's TV talent. A team could easily be using him but he did say "several."

The thing about the Browns at 4 is that they have OLB talent and they have both OT spots sewn up. So if they really pass on a QB they kinda have to take Watkins or trade down.

The other thing about the QB positioning battle at the top is that whichever team wants Garoppolo to be their starter - they're all picking in the same area - and it's going to be obvious who's holding out for him because they'll pass on a QB in the first. And to that point, if the Raiders or Jags have similar or slightly less grades on a guy like Carr, Garoppolo, Murray, Mettenberger, McCarron than the top 3, they'd probably consider it best for the team to take a stud player in the top 5 and do what they must to find a QB later. Because they simply aren't getting the same type of player as a Clowney or Mack in the 2nd round - but they might get a similar QB prospect. It's fascinating really.

There's going to be quite a bit of gamesmanship with a bunch of starter-potential QBs and so many teams needing QBs picking right near each other. And the worst thing that could happen to them would be a team like the Jets or Bucs taking one of the top 5 or 6 guys.

Last edited by gpngc : 02-26-2014 at 03:51 PM.
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:15 PM    (permalink
STsACE
Rookie

STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Did Jeremiah give us any insight like this last year in regards to teams' targets?

Nothing solid until morning of draft. He did peg Mingo to us and Austin to the Rams. I can't think of anything else. So if we wait until May 8th, he could be right

Last edited by STsACE : 02-26-2014 at 04:31 PM.
STsACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:20 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STsACE View Post
Nothing solid until morning of draft. He did peg Mingo to us and Austin to the Rams. I can't think of anything else. So if we wait until May 8th, he could be right.
A gigantic post of every reporters pre-draft rumors with their track records would be a ridiculously valuable addition to this board. For example, last year someone reported that Oakland was going to take D.J. Hayden at No. 3. Well that report was probably correct.

Tracking who's right the most might go a long way for us sifting through the BS as the rumors start really swirling. I'm pretty sure teams use reporters to smokescreen, but we could draw some good conclusions with a track record from past drafts.

And if DJ got those two right, that's a better track record than most right there.... ON TO THE MOCK TO PUT CARR TO CLEVELAND!
Old 02-26-2014, 04:27 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Of course reporters are right the closer to the draft but this far out? Forget about it. Definition of smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:32 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Leader View Post
Of course reporters are right the closer to the draft but this far out? Forget about it. Definition of smoke.
But wouldn't it make more sense to blow smoke closer to the draft too?

And again, DJ isn't a reporter. It's odd timing so maybe that means he really does trust whoever told him. Maybe it's a scout buddy.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:23 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It might be that they think the QBs will be gone, or maybe they only like 1 or 2 of the top guys
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:43 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Farmer did say he liked a certain quarterback. It's obviously Carr since Jeremiah said so. The pieces have been put together.

Have it your way, with BK (BoneKrusher)
BuckeyeDan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:51 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredder View Post
If we ignore how we feel about Carr as a prospect doesn't it seem a little crazy for them to bank on him being available at 26? What happens if somebody else grabs him? Do they just wait until next year? It's been a while since I've seen a mock draft with him being available that late.
Good point; there's no guarantee he's there.

It's kind of ironic. The Browns did this in 2012, when they drafted Richardson first and Weeden second. Now, in part because they traded Richardson and have an extra first round pick, they could very well do it again.

I guess there's some merit to the idea, especially if they aren't in love with any of the Top 3 QBs or don't think the separation from them to Carr is significant. Of course, it could be smoke, as well. It probably is, when you consider how much misinformation is out there this time of year.

Then again, there's a part of me that wonders if Carr's name is the smoke but the premise has legitimacy. In the last couple of days, we've heard some rumblings of Jimmy Garoppolo being considered a contender to be taken in the late first round. Maybe the Browns want him with their late first rounder, but threw Carr's name out to try and misdirect.

I dunno, just throwing stuff out there.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:08 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
Good point; there's no guarantee he's there.

It's kind of ironic. The Browns did this in 2012, when they drafted Richardson first and Weeden second. Now, in part because they traded Richardson and have an extra first round pick, they could very well do it again.

I guess there's some merit to the idea, especially if they aren't in love with any of the Top 3 QBs or don't think the separation from them to Carr is significant. Of course, it could be smoke, as well. It probably is, when you consider how much misinformation is out there this time of year.

Then again, there's a part of me that wonders if Carr's name is the smoke but the premise has legitimacy. In the last couple of days, we've heard some rumblings of Jimmy Garoppolo being considered a contender to be taken in the late first round. Maybe the Browns want him with their late first rounder, but threw Carr's name out to try and misdirect.

I dunno, just throwing stuff out there.
I could see that. I would take him over Carr honestly.