Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who goes further this season from the NFC West?
San Francisco 58 45.31%
Seattle 70 54.69%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2013, 06:58 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
Eric Reid has not been a "stud". He has made a lot of mistakes and missed quite a few tackles so far, and that's to be expected - he is a rookie.

It's next to impossible for rookie DBs to make a big impact and play at a high level in their rookie seasons. It just doesn't happen very often.

I personally was not high on Reid coming out of college, but he might still turn into a solid starter in the NFL. But it won't be THIS season.
Eric Reid has played legit all season long. I don't know why so many people hated him on this site but I always saw a special football player with good instincts and understands angles, it's the subtle differences that have always made guys like Taylor Mays athletes and bad football players. Whitner is also an above average SS, they just don't have any CB's and that's what sticks out.

I thought they should have signed Mike Jenkins. He isn't flashy, but he was super cheap and if you let him play aggressive, press man and you can get after the QB(which they can do) he'd be a gem. I think he'd be their best CB right now, but with the guys they have now they have to sack the QB pretty quick into the count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:40 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
.... have always made guys like Taylor Mays athletes and bad football players.....
Here's what I find interesting: You mentioned Mays, and someone else mentioned the "washed up Whitner, Rogers, etc."....
Well, Terence Newman and Pac Man Jones were laughed at, mocked, Bengals were ridiculed on here by many, and everywhere..... yet all 3 of these guys played a big part in containing the previously red-hot Rodgers and the Packer offense last week.

Newman and Pac were Cowboys castaways a few years ago for God's sake.
Taylor Mays is terrible.

Behind the Bengals solid D-Line, they were good enough... and that defense has by far the longest streak of not allowing a 300-yard passer, something like 15 games now.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:59 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
I know you're a homer, but if you actually watch the NFL, and watch alot of teams, you should be able to see that the 49ers secondary is literally a bottom-10 unit. It's one of the worst in the league, and it's SHOWED so far this season as QBs have no problems completing passes on them. They are counting on washed up vets (Asomugha, Witner, Rogers) at alot of positions, counting on a rookie FS (Reid) who is making mistakes and missing tackles, and the few young solid players they have are just that: merely solid at best (Brown).

They have two elite ILBs, one formerly elite DE who is definitely on the downside of his career, and one OLB who is very good but not, in my mind, elite, and who has off-the-field issues that jeopardize his career. That's the entirety of their talent in their front seven. That's less than alot of teams in this league.
theres a reason I dont generally even respond to you, but for the millionth time I am not a 49er fan, I actually grew up hating them to be honest. I may have a little bit more knowledge about them than other teams b/c of the local media, but I am the farthest thing from a homer. But it gets annoying any time I stick up for a certain team I get called a homer, when the only team I am fan of is the Raiders and I am the first to admit how awful they are.

But a few points I will make

1. QBs have not had much success against the 49ers this year. Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck both struggled to move the ball through the air, and it was the dominant rushing performances from Marshawn Lynch and Ahmad Bradshaw that sparked those offenses.
2. Eric Reid is a very good young safety. Yes, he makes some mistakes, but he also has made some great, game-changing plays. Its gonna take some time for his game to fully blossom, but the talent is easy to see, and he has a very mature attitude
3. Namdhi, Rogers and Whittner - their best years are behind them, but they are not nearly as washed up as you are making them out to be. Maybe Namdhi is, Im waiting to see if hes gonna turn it around b/c hes not actually that old.
4. In what world is Aldon Smith not an elite player? The off-field issues are obviously a concern, but hes one of the most productive pass-rushers the game has ever seen, and the argument about he cant rush w/o Justin Smith is ridiculous, Ive seen him apply pressure from both sides of the line, his physical ability and skills are indisputable.
5. Speaking of Justin Smith, I dont see where the washed up thing is coming from. He hit Andrew Luck 4 times last week, and had 4 hurries in each of the past 2 games. He had an injury last year and seems to have moved past it. Maybe hes not the best interior DL in the league like he was a couple years ago, but certainly not washed up.
6. Somehow you left off Ahmad Brooks, who is a great OLB in his own rite but gets overshadowed by the other great LBs on the team. Same can be said for Ray McDonald, a very good player who is overshadowed by Justin Smith.

Youll probably come up with some ******** response to this which I wont bother to respond to...So what did I write this for? good question
Eazy Picks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:04 AM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Here's what I find interesting: You mentioned Mays, and someone else mentioned the "washed up Whitner, Rogers, etc."....
Well, Terence Newman and Pac Man Jones were laughed at, mocked, Bengals were ridiculed on here by many, and everywhere..... yet all 3 of these guys played a big part in containing the previously red-hot Rodgers and the Packer offense last week.

Newman and Pac were Cowboys castaways a few years ago for God's sake.
Taylor Mays is terrible.

Behind the Bengals solid D-Line, they were good enough... and that defense has by far the longest streak of not allowing a 300-yard passer, something like 15 games now.
Secondaries are always to some extent a product of their front 7. Why did Rodgers have a bad day last week? Was it the incredible coverage of the Bengals DBs? They played well, but it was the pressure the Bengals DL applied that really took Rodgers off his game. Jermichael Finley getting concussed on the opening series also didnt help, the Bengals dont do well covering TEs and I think Finley was a huge part of their gameplan.

relating this to the niners, I dont think its right to jump on their secondary, when the real story is the subpar play from their front 7, which was previously a dominant unit. Of course the 49ers dominant front 7 made their DBs look better than they were, but now people are jumping on the secondary when in fact it is the front 7 that is underperforming. I dont know whats wrong with the 49ers run D, maybe the NT position is a real problem. But I remember when they went almost a full season without allowing a rushing TD or a 100-yd rusher. Teams are gashing them on the ground right now, and thats setting up the rest of the offense.

Last edited by Eazy Picks : 09-25-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
He played the best football of his life in the playoffs last year....
On a stacked team too. And they lost... so yea.

Russell is already way better than I thought he'd ever be though, so he can definitely progress into an elite QB. He isn't there yet though, and I wouldn't bet on it, because that caliber of QB is just so rare.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:46 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One thing thinking back to the big games CK had last year, Chicago, NE, ATL and several others. He had a lot of big plays using Crabs, Davis and at times, Moss. None of those guys are currently available. What I've seen the last two weeks is a QB desperately looking for his big play WR/TE. In doing so, he's completely ignoring the gimme's underneath. Last year that was a very welcome contrast to the previous QB, particularly because there was usually someone open. This year he looks almost foolish, holding the ball for what seems like forever, waiting for someone to get open, but they don't.

IMHO, the coaching staff are currently in denial about their WR talent and what they can and can't do. If/when they accept the reality for what it is, they will change our game plan. Basically, they revert back to our 2011offense, where it was all about field position, sustainable drives and TOP. Where checkdowns to move the chains were a good thing and the focus of the gameplan was the centered around the running. They've totally put the offense in the hands of CK but he doesn't have the horses on the outside to run what they envision. Technically, he's still a rookie QB, having started less than 16 games. They should be still be bringing him along gradually and increases his plate when his game and the personnel warrants it. Look at Seattle. They're offense is STILL centered around Lynch and their running game. They're not asking Wilson to be Peyton Manning all of a sudden. That's the problem in my eyes. We're delusional about the talent or lack there of, around CK and his maturation as a young QB. The most talented and deepest position on offense is our RBs. So what should be the focus of the offense again?

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 09-26-2013 at 07:49 PM.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:22 AM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

def a step in the right direction for SF tonight. Strong run game, strong run defense, they worked the PA and got some easy passes for kap. Next week against Houston is a big test. It will be interesting to see how both the niners and seahawks stack up against one of the AFCs top teams in back-to-back weeks.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:56 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
On a stacked team too. And they lost... so yea.

Russell is already way better than I thought he'd ever be though, so he can definitely progress into an elite QB. He isn't there yet though, and I wouldn't bet on it, because that caliber of QB is just so rare.
They sure as hell didn't lose because of Russ. They lost because the Falcons made some big plays on a defense that typically doesn't give em up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:19 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Speaking of offensive line injuries:

From ESPN.com

Quote:
By Terry Blount | ESPN.com

The offensive line problems for the Seattle Seahawks went from bad to worse Friday when coach Pete Carroll said Pro Bowl center Max Unger might miss Sunday's game against the Houston Texans, meaning the Seahawks could start the road game with three backups up front.

"We are banged up and we've got some guys that are going to have a hard time making it this week," Carroll said Friday morning on KIRO Radio in Seattle, referring to Unger and right tackle Breno Giacomini. "We have some guys [who will] step up, and we really will always be about the guys that step in rather than the guys who can't go."
Meanwhile, in the Bay Area, Joe Staley's screams were apparently for nothing.
I thought perhaps the SF OL Teflon was starting to wear off for once...

Joe Staley ✔ @jstaley74

I'm good. And I scream like no dude should ever scream lol my bad.

12:03 AM - 27 Sep 2013

Last edited by J-Mike88 : 09-27-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:18 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
They sure as hell didn't lose because of Russ. They lost because the Falcons made some big plays on a defense that typically doesn't give em up.
that game was simply a tale of two halves. Russ didnt play good in the first half, and neither did the defense. In the second half, both played great. But Matt Ryan was able to make the clutch drive to win the game.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy Picks View Post
that game was simply a tale of two halves. Russ didnt play good in the first half, and neither did the defense. In the second half, both played great. But Matt Ryan was able to make the clutch drive to win the game.
That's a bit revisionist.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:35 PM    (permalink
XxXdragonXxX
Pro Bowler

XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

No.

Wilson played a well all game. The run game was awful all day, Wilson led the team with 60 yards rushing. Lynch fumbled after a Bobby Wagner INT, Turbin and Robinson failed to convert consecutive 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 attempts to end another drive. Then there was the end of the first half with the Seahawks in the redzone, Babineaux came practically untouched up the middle to for a sack and they failed to get another snap off before the end of the half. There were a couple drives where the run game left Wilson in 3rd and long situations that he failed to convert, but that's about the extent of the blame on his shoulders.

Wilson definitely played better in the 2nd half, but it wasn't his fault that they were held scoreless in the 1st half. When the game was placed on his shoulders in the 2nd half he was incredible, but ultimately the defense failed him.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:22 AM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Defense let them down the whole game, not just when they got the lead back.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:11 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
Defense let them down the whole game, not just when they got the lead back.

What's Sherman doing there?
Old 09-28-2013, 07:14 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxXdragonXxX View Post
No.
Love your animated GIF signature XXX.
1st block is clearly the typical illegal block in the back. Just shoves the guy.

But he didn't stop there... good for him #35.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

First off, the Seattle defense didnt let them down the whole game. They held Atlanta scoreless for the majority of the second half. The comeback is not possible without that.

And in what world does an offense go scoreless for an entire half and the QB doesnt take any of the blame. As you described, there were a variety of factors as to why they went scoreless, but surely Wilson deserves his share of the blame, as he is the leader of the offense. He obviously made up for the first half with spectacular play in the second half, but to just excuse him and put it on the rest of the team is a little ridiculous. We all know the QBs get the credit when the goings good, and they shoulder the blame when the offense struggles.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:32 PM    (permalink
XxXdragonXxX
Pro Bowler

XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't say he shouldn'rt take any blame. Like I said, there were a few failed 3rd and longs that he can be blamed for. But to say he "didn't play well" in the first half is just not true.

Yes the defense is played better in the 2nd half, they gave up 10 instead of 20 like the first half. They still let the Falcons drive for a field goal with just 30 seconds to go.

Any way you cut it, a rookie QB leading his team back from a 20 point deficit on the road in the playoffs is damn impressive. So to say he isn't good enough to lead a team to the Superbowl is beyond ridiculous.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxXdragonXxX View Post
I didn't say he shouldn'rt take any blame. Like I said, there were a few failed 3rd and longs that he can be blamed for. But to say he "didn't play well" in the first half is just not true.

Yes the defense is played better in the 2nd half, they gave up 10 instead of 20 like the first half. They still let the Falcons drive for a field goal with just 30 seconds to go.

Any way you cut it, a rookie QB leading his team back from a 20 point deficit on the road in the playoffs is damn impressive. So to say he isn't good enough to lead a team to the Superbowl is beyond ridiculous.
OK, but the Falcons scored on their opening drive of the 2nd half, and then scored again with 30 secs to go. That means Seattles D shut them out for about 25 minutes or so. They had a stretch of dominance.

And honestly I dont care how you slice it, if the QB is playing well, the offense doesnt go scoreless for 30 mins. There may be other parties more to blame, but he is in control of the offense, he gets everyone lined up, he makes the checks at the line of scrimmage, manages the clock, etc etc...if the offense goes 30 minutes scoreless, hes doing something wrong. Oobviously there plenty out of his hands, but I dont remember that being some game where he was delivering great throws and guys were just dropping the ball or anything.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:10 AM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What's Sherman doing there?
Getting burned by Roddy....then clapping when Roddy talked trash to him afterwards.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:01 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NFC should be worried if they let Seattle get home field advantage. Asking anyone to go in there during the playoffs and win is already a tough task, and they look to me like the best team in the NFL and I've yet to see them with Percy Harvin yet which is the scary part.

If they end up with the #1 seed they would be my heavy favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And honestly I dont care how you slice it, if the QB is playing well, the offense doesnt go scoreless for 30 mins. There may be other parties more to blame, but he is in control of the offense, he gets everyone lined up, he makes the checks at the line of scrimmage, manages the clock, etc etc...if the offense goes 30 minutes scoreless, hes doing something wrong.
You've made it clear that you're not a fan of this Seahawks team, but you're not even making sense here. Our running backs failed to convert a couple of critical short yardage plays, including 4th down attempts, and Marshawn had a fumble. That's how a team can go scoreless for thirty minutes without it being the quarterback's fault. Did Robinson and Turbin get stuffed because of something Wilson did while lining them up? Did Marshawn fumble because of a check Russell made? A quarterback can be playing very well and have his running back fumble the ball away.

Quote:
if the offense goes 30 minutes scoreless, hes doing something wrong
I don't care that you don't like the Seahawks, but put the blame where blame is due. Your angle seems to be that the Seahawks aren't good enough to win the Super Bowl, but since it's obvious that we have one of the best defenses in the league as well as one of the deepest running back groups in the league, you're trying to make Russell Wilson a scapegoat for our playoff loss by arguing that he should've done more.

No: What happened was our best player, Marshawn, fumbled the ball instead of scoring. What happened was that after the coaches said, "**** it, we're going with Russell's arm." in the second half, our "league-best" secondary finally blew a coverage assignment at the very end of the game and Atlanta took advantage of it and scored. It's as simple as that. There's no over-arching metanarrative here about how Russell Wilson rode a stacked team into the playoffs and then proved incapable of leading them to a win. They simply didn't win, as a result of nothing being guaranteed in football and playing another good team in the Falcons. So if you don't like the Seahawks, that's fine, and frankly it's understandable. But try to make coherent arguments for the sake of forum quality.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
You've made it clear that you're not a fan of this Seahawks team, but you're not even making sense here. Our running backs failed to convert a couple of critical short yardage plays, including 4th down attempts, and Marshawn had a fumble. That's how a team can go scoreless for thirty minutes without it being the quarterback's fault. Did Robinson and Turbin get stuffed because of something Wilson did while lining them up? Did Marshawn fumble because of a check Russell made? A quarterback can be playing very well and have his running back fumble the ball away.

I don't care that you don't like the Seahawks, but put the blame where blame is due. Your angle seems to be that the Seahawks aren't good enough to win the Super Bowl, but since it's obvious that we have one of the best defenses in the league as well as one of the deepest running back groups in the league, you're trying to make Russell Wilson a scapegoat for our playoff loss by arguing that he should've done more.

No: What happened was our best player, Marshawn, fumbled the ball instead of scoring. What happened was that after the coaches said, "**** it, we're going with Russell's arm." in the second half, our "league-best" secondary finally blew a coverage assignment at the very end of the game and Atlanta took advantage of it and scored. It's as simple as that. There's no over-arching metanarrative here about how Russell Wilson rode a stacked team into the playoffs and then proved incapable of leading them to a win. They simply didn't win, as a result of nothing being guaranteed in football and playing another good team in the Falcons. So if you don't like the Seahawks, that's fine, and frankly it's understandable. But try to make coherent arguments for the sake of forum quality.
my dislike for the Seahawks is not that strong. The hype around this team annoys me, and so do things like pete carroll trying to tell the world the right call got made in the MNF packer game. but its not like I hate them with a passion or anything, to be real I was on their bandwagon for most of last year, but jumped off when the hype got out of control.

And Im not gonna sit here and have some big argument about this, but a QB is responsible for the offense. The run game working poorly doesnt justify going scoreless in the first half. Doesnt mean Wilson played terrible, but he obviously wasnt playing all that good either. Great QBs, when playing well, dont put up gooseggs. You can disagree but its kind of a ridiculous argument so lets just let it go.

Hell of a win today for the Seahawks. They honestly got dominated most the game, but Matt Schaub threw his weekly pick-6 in crunch time, and Russell Wilson made some great plays, and Kareeem Jackson made a really stupid penalty, and the Seahawks beat one of the AFCs premier teams on the road and came back from down 20-3. The Seahawks are a second half team. Theyve proved it time and time again. The offense routinely looks terrible in the first half, and then they start clicking in the second half.

And anyone who is still trying to tell me Russell Wilson doesnt remind them of Michael Vick must be blind or didn't watch Vick in his Atlanta years. This game especially reminded me of it because he was scrambling around behind a patchwork offensive line, much like Vick did his whole career in Atlanta. And I am trying to complement Wilson with this comparison, because Vick was one of the most special improvisors ever, and Wilsons style - the way he runs around and makes people miss and makes plays on the fly - it just reminds me of Vick. Hes more accurate with the football and throws a more catchable ball, and lacks some of Vick's freaky physical talent, but to me they are very similar. Maybe if Vick had been drafted into a better situation, he would have progressed better as a passer. Then again, Wilson just has a more mature attitude than Vick did when he entered the league.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:04 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
my dislike for the Seahawks is not that strong. The hype around this team annoys me...... Then again, Wilson just has a more mature attitude than Vick did when he entered the league.
What hype is annoying?
What hype do they have that San Francisco didn't have, or Denver hasn't had?
Neither SF, Denver, or Seattle have won a Super Bowl in a long time, or ever.
But all 3 have great teams.... I don't hear special Seahawk hype that I haven't heard about the Niners and Broncos.

It's too bad Denver doesn't have either San Fran or Seattle on their schedule this season. Dammit.
But Denver does have some tough roadies ahead.....
Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 AM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Quote:
What hype is annoying?
What hype do they have that San Francisco didn't have, or Denver hasn't had?
Neither SF, Denver, or Seattle have won a Super Bowl in a long time, or ever.
But all 3 have great teams.... I don't hear special Seahawk hype that I haven't heard about the Niners and Broncos.

It's too bad Denver doesn't have either San Fran or Seattle on their schedule this season. Dammit.
But Denver does have some tough roadies ahead.....
cmon now...the Broncos have Peyton Mannning to go with a super-talented roster...the 49ers have been on the cusp of a SB for two years straight....the Seahawks have won one playoff game thus far, and it was against the Redskins. Obviously they are a young and exciting team, but i thought a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon at the end of last year. Of course, its a lot harder for me to say they dont deserve the hype now, b/c they are 4-0 and they whupped the Niners and pulled off a crazy comeback in Houston.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:58 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On Houston:

1) Daryl Sharpton lost them the game. Seattle ran a predictable bootleg to the field on fourth-and about 3 down 20-6 with about 8 minutes left and Sharpton took an insanely bad angle, allowing Wilson to get the first down. If he makes that tackle, the game is over.

2) The Schaub play was a mistake by him BUT:
- Credit DC Dan Quinn for predicting Kubiak's call and bringing the perfect blitz to shut the play down - it would have been a sack and loss of about 8 yards had Schaub not thrown it.
- The Seahawks would have then gotten the ball back with just under 3 minutes left and I think three timeouts. Yes that gift was obviously huge but the Hawks may have still come back a la Chicago last year with a big drive and all the momentum.
- After the pick, the Texans were still in control. All they needed to do was complete a drive with their entire playbook open and get into FG range. Sherman's pick gets all the praise, but that was a huge stop at 20-20 on the road with the home team a great chance to win on a FG.

3) The Hawks D was HUGE in the second half, limiting the Texans to 0 points. The pass rush in particular continues to shine and the scary thing is that Bennett is fine, Clemons is looking good and should get better two games after returning from ACL surgery, AND Bruce Irvin comes back this week. Arian Foster had a good fantasy game, but just a 3.8 ypc. Wagner, Mebane, and Earl Thomas continue to play ridiculously well each week. Malcom Smith of all people made one of the game's biggest unsung plays, forcing a Ben Tate fumble recovered by Wagner, leading to the FG to make it 20-6 - a new game only down two scores with hope.

4) They did all this with 3/5 of the OL out. Rookie behemoth Michael Bowie struggled at times with J.J. Watt, but he also had some nice flashes the past two weeks and it was J.J. Watt. I like him and think he has the potential to steal Giacomini's job.

5) Just a gutsy comeback win. A lot of blame on Houston, but this team has shown to take advantage of mistakes. A trend that stretches back to the Chicago game last year. This game felt like that game and Wilson clearly has the ability to take over a game in crunch time.

4-0 looks good BUT Arizona started 4-0 last year, they have 3 of the next four on the road, and the passing game has to be better.

THIS WEEK:

Super Bowl preview this week @ Indy.

Unger should be back.

Giacomini won't but I thought Bowie played well. He should get better.

Golden Tate needs to break something. Either a punt return or a long reception. He's severely lacking big plays this year and it's becoming a concern.

I think they'll rush Luck (Avril and Bennett have been great), and I think they'll complete sacks (other teams have let Luck slip away for long rushes this year). I think the Colts will have some success running the ball. But ultimately it will come down to the Seahawks making big plays in the passing game. They need to protect first and win one-on-one battles against Indy's secondary. Look for more use of the TEs and backs in the passing game.

The Hawks are giving 2.5 on the road against a good team. I don't see any way this game isn't close unless one of the lines breaks down. A FG wins it either way. I'll go Hawks 27-24.

But a loss here doesn't crush them because of the Houston win. A loss here and win at home against the Locker-less Titans would leave them at 5-1 heading into two crucial road division contests. 6-2 at the halfway point wouldn't be the worst thing in the world and would likely put them right in the mix for homefield.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote