Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who goes further this season from the NFC West?
San Francisco 58 45.31%
Seattle 70 54.69%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2013, 01:39 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Good poll results and discussion.

Changes from last year:

Niners: Added Boldin, lost Crabtree, who was BY FAR Kaepernick's favorite and most effective receiver.
They also lost Dashon Goldson, a proven commodity back there for them. And Ahmad Brooks should proceed directly to jail, and not pass Go.

Seahawks, Added Percy Harvin, lost who?
I'm glad you decided to remain impartial in your evaluation.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:46 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
Just like recently the Pats pick up Tebow from the Jets but in FA for dirt cheap while the Jets paid an arm and a leg for him. ha .
A mid 4th rounder lol.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:21 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
lol, i know right?
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:52 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You're right, I forgot about these additions from the Seahawks.

Cliff Avril
Michael Bennett
Tony McDaniel
Antoine Winfield
Marcus Trufant

Winfield will help as he was still the #1-rated CB vs the run last year per PFF.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was all over the Seahawk bandwagon last year from the start of the season. Their success last year came as no great surprise to me. That being said, they are by far the most overhyped team this year. I love Russell Wilson, but I dont think he will be nearly as succesful this year as people seem to think. That little run of near-perfect QB rating he had late in the season is not something I expect will translate. I watched him struggle at times in games, especially when asked to operate out of the pocket, and I think we will see more of that this year. He is not nearly as dangerous running the option as Kaepernick and he doesnt throw out of the pocket nearly as well. People are acting like Percy Harvin is a sure thing to make an Adrian Peterson-like recovery and be an elite receiver. Im not buying it. Im not buying the whole thing. I dont think the Seahawks will have a great offense this year. In my opinion, Wilson will go through something of a sophomore slump, Marshawn Lynch will not play like an elite back this year, Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin are major injury risks, golden tate and doug baldwin are servicable receivers at best, and the right side of the o-line is shaky at best. TE Zach Miller has been a disappointment since signing a big FA deal with the Seahawks. I could see this offense going through some real struggles this year.

Move onto the 49er offense...The loss of Crabtree was big but Im honestly not that concerned. First off, I can not tell you how highly I think of Kaepernick. I said last season I saw him taking the starting job from Alex Smith by force if Smith gave him any kind of opening. He has a great deep arm and is incredibly accurate and he is a menace when he gets out in the open field. I believe he is the most dangerous option QB in this league, and the only one of the young guns (RG3, Cam Newton, Wilson, Luck, Tannehill) that I would consider taking over him is Luck. I think the woirld of Newton and RG3, but Ill take the Kaep over them any Sunday. He is that dynamic of a player and his work ethic, competitive fire, and football IQ is off the charts. Their offensive line is the best in the league, they have a stud blocker at every position. Their run game is downright nasty with the line mauling people, Kaep stretching the edges and the combo of Gore, Lamichael James and Kendall Hunter. Vernon Davis is an elite TE who creates all kinds of matchup problems and also blocks well. ANquan Boldin should be able to seemlessly fill Crabtrees role in the offense. He is still an excellent possession receiver and one of the best blocking WRs in the league. Watch out for AJ Jenkins to become a deadly deep threat with Kaepernick airing balls out to him when defenses try to stack the box. Guys like Vance McDonald and Bruce Miller are great role players. Kyle Williams, Mannaingham, and Ricardo Lockette (watch out for that name) provide quality depth at WR. I dont see this offense struggling too much. Its an absolute powerhouse unit, and it is coached by Greg Roman, one of the leagues most brilliant offensive minds (not to mention Harbaugh)

Okay, what about defense? After all, the Seahawks have the leagues nastiest defense, right? hmmm...nah pretty sure Ill still take the 49ers D. Ill give it to the Seahawks' secondary, they are the best in the league. But it aint like thats a weakness for the 49ers. They have a very strong secondary to go with the best front 7 in the league. Their LB core could go down as the best in history, yes they are that good. Justin Smith should be back at full strength. Not that the Seahawks don't have a strong front 7, but it really cant even be compared to the Niners. Bobby Wagner v Pat Willis? Bruce Irvin v Aldon Smith? KJ Wright v Navorro Bowman? Cliff Avril v Justin Smith? Red Bryant v Ray McDonald? Lets not even go there. Its not even close. The 49er front 7 is the kind of group that will be remembered in history. The Seahawk front 7 is just a little above average.

The Sehawks have an incredibly tough schedule and havent had any sustained success yet. I look at them last season, and I see a very talented team that managed to pull out a couple big wins early in the year and then went on a late-season tear against mostly weak competition. In the playoffs, they nearly got blown out by the Redskins and probably would have lost if not for RG3 getting hurt (a redskin team that I thought they should have dismantled). To me, I was quite unimpressed by that victory. Against the Falcons, they were getting blown out. They made a valiant comeback and almost won, but I think that had more to do with the Falcons thinking they could kick it into cruise control than anything the Seahawks did. The 49ers have now been playing at a dominant level for 2 straight years and are clearly on the cusp of winning a SuperBowl. They came within 10 yards of winning the SB last year, and it took 2 Kyle Williams fumbled punts for them to lose to the eventual SB-champs in the NFCCG. The 49ers have established themselves as NFL powerhouses, the Seahawks still have plenty to prove.
Eazy Picks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:58 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Cliff Avril
Michael Bennett
Tony McDaniel
Antoine Winfield
Marcus Trufant

Winfield will help as he was still the #1-rated CB vs the run last year per PFF.
Woah, Tony McDaniel? How could you forget him? 16-0 it is, brah.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:39 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Cliff Avril
Michael Bennett
Tony McDaniel
Antoine Winfield
Marcus Trufant

No I said impartial.

Quote:
Old 07-14-2013, 06:13 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy Picks View Post
I was all over the Seahawk bandwagon last year from the start of the season. Their success last year came as no great surprise to me. That being said, they are by far the most overhyped team this year. I love Russell Wilson, but I dont think he will be nearly as succesful this year as people seem to think. That little run of near-perfect QB rating he had late in the season is not something I expect will translate. I watched him struggle at times in games, especially when asked to operate out of the pocket, and I think we will see more of that this year. He is not nearly as dangerous running the option as Kaepernick and he doesnt throw out of the pocket nearly as well. People are acting like Percy Harvin is a sure thing to make an Adrian Peterson-like recovery and be an elite receiver. Im not buying it. Im not buying the whole thing. I dont think the Seahawks will have a great offense this year. In my opinion, Wilson will go through something of a sophomore slump, Marshawn Lynch will not play like an elite back this year, Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin are major injury risks, golden tate and doug baldwin are servicable receivers at best, and the right side of the o-line is shaky at best. TE Zach Miller has been a disappointment since signing a big FA deal with the Seahawks. I could see this offense going through some real struggles this year.

Move onto the 49er offense...The loss of Crabtree was big but Im honestly not that concerned. First off, I can not tell you how highly I think of Kaepernick. I said last season I saw him taking the starting job from Alex Smith by force if Smith gave him any kind of opening. He has a great deep arm and is incredibly accurate and he is a menace when he gets out in the open field. I believe he is the most dangerous option QB in this league, and the only one of the young guns (RG3, Cam Newton, Wilson, Luck, Tannehill) that I would consider taking over him is Luck. I think the woirld of Newton and RG3, but Ill take the Kaep over them any Sunday. He is that dynamic of a player and his work ethic, competitive fire, and football IQ is off the charts. Their offensive line is the best in the league, they have a stud blocker at every position. Their run game is downright nasty with the line mauling people, Kaep stretching the edges and the combo of Gore, Lamichael James and Kendall Hunter. Vernon Davis is an elite TE who creates all kinds of matchup problems and also blocks well. ANquan Boldin should be able to seemlessly fill Crabtrees role in the offense. He is still an excellent possession receiver and one of the best blocking WRs in the league. Watch out for AJ Jenkins to become a deadly deep threat with Kaepernick airing balls out to him when defenses try to stack the box. Guys like Vance McDonald and Bruce Miller are great role players. Kyle Williams, Mannaingham, and Ricardo Lockette (watch out for that name) provide quality depth at WR. I dont see this offense struggling too much. Its an absolute powerhouse unit, and it is coached by Greg Roman, one of the leagues most brilliant offensive minds (not to mention Harbaugh)

Okay, what about defense? After all, the Seahawks have the leagues nastiest defense, right? hmmm...nah pretty sure Ill still take the 49ers D. Ill give it to the Seahawks' secondary, they are the best in the league. But it aint like thats a weakness for the 49ers. They have a very strong secondary to go with the best front 7 in the league. Their LB core could go down as the best in history, yes they are that good. Justin Smith should be back at full strength. Not that the Seahawks don't have a strong front 7, but it really cant even be compared to the Niners. Bobby Wagner v Pat Willis? Bruce Irvin v Aldon Smith? KJ Wright v Navorro Bowman? Cliff Avril v Justin Smith? Red Bryant v Ray McDonald? Lets not even go there. Its not even close. The 49er front 7 is the kind of group that will be remembered in history. The Seahawk front 7 is just a little above average.

The Sehawks have an incredibly tough schedule and havent had any sustained success yet. I look at them last season, and I see a very talented team that managed to pull out a couple big wins early in the year and then went on a late-season tear against mostly weak competition. In the playoffs, they nearly got blown out by the Redskins and probably would have lost if not for RG3 getting hurt (a redskin team that I thought they should have dismantled). To me, I was quite unimpressed by that victory. Against the Falcons, they were getting blown out. They made a valiant comeback and almost won, but I think that had more to do with the Falcons thinking they could kick it into cruise control than anything the Seahawks did. The 49ers have now been playing at a dominant level for 2 straight years and are clearly on the cusp of winning a SuperBowl. They came within 10 yards of winning the SB last year, and it took 2 Kyle Williams fumbled punts for them to lose to the eventual SB-champs in the NFCCG. The 49ers have established themselves as NFL powerhouses, the Seahawks still have plenty to prove.
1) What? What do you mean "translate"? He did that against the Cards good D and the 49ers good D.

You insist he's in for a sophomore slump but he had a pretty obvious rookie trajectory. Struggled early and got better with each game. He did struggle, but he clearly got way better after those early struggles.

So why? Sophomore slump because _____________?

2) Harvin is completely healthy and isn't coming back from an ACL tear. If you want to cite injury proneness that's one thing but there's been no indication that the injury that ended his season is even a thought at this point. He's no sure thing but he's an "elite" (stupid word) joker. They have traditional outside receivers. If Harvin's healthy his impact will be huge.

3) Zach Miller isn't a weakness. He's nothing particularly special but he's a decent player. The fact that he's overpaid doesn't change anything. And he really came on late last year (and was brilliant in the Falcons playoff game).

4) Seattle cut Lockette last year in a pretty easy WR battle. He's nothing.

5) This is useless analysis. Wagner not being as good as Willis means what exactly? He's a fine player in his own right and the two players don't play against each other.

6) So first you were unimpressed with a road playoff win in which they were down 14 points and then dominated. And then you were unimpressed with a second road playoff game in which they were down 20 points at halftime, stormed back, and were beaten because of a 30-yard great play by MR/TG. What Wilson did that day was nothing short of remarkable. It was the definition of impressive and saying that the Falcons "went on cruise control" is ridiculous. I don't understand how you could watch that game and not come away impressed with how they responded to early struggles and how Wilson played, especially in the pocket.

And somewhere you mentioned Wilson "is not nearly as dangerous running the option as Kaepernick." Who the **** cares? They run the option as a wrinkle 7% of the time and Kaep is a historically scary running threat. Wilson's game is as a scrambler to buy time - not as a runner. And you fail to give any reasoning for his "sophomore slump" besides alluding to his first few games as a pro which had normal growing pains.

The Seahawks have some issues, but you didn't pinpoint any real ones. Just a bunch of useless comparisons and a frankly incorrect recollection of a pair of damn impressive road playoff performances.
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:09 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like I said, THIS IS A GREAT SHORT-TERM RIVALRY and I am looking forward to both games this season.

I wish they were both Primetime games.

I like Seattle as of now.
What's impartial about that?
Old 07-14-2013, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
I like Seattle as of now.
What's impartial about that?
That's fine. I like the 49ers. Doesn't mean I'm going to be impartial if I were to evaluate Seattle as a team. The Ahmad Brooks comment was especially hilarious, as it came off as something you wanted to happen compared to something that most likely won't happen.

Since you're having so much difficulty with this I'll give you a hand. Here is a non-biased review via SI.com:

Quote:
San Francisco 49ers

Key moves: Signed DT Glenn Dorsey, CB Nnamdi Asomugha, S Craig Dahl; traded for WR Anquan Boldin, QB Colt McCoy; drafted RB Marcus Lattimore, WR Quinton Patton, TE Vance McDonald, DE Tank Carradine, DE/OLB Corey Lemonier; S Eric Reid; lost QB Alex Smith, WR Randy Moss, FB/TE Delanie Walker, NT Isaac Sopoaga, S Dashon Goldson

Where they got better: The pass rush. Wide receiver would have been the pick here, with Quinton Patton and Anquan Boldin arriving, but Michael Crabtree’s Achilles injury set that unit back. So, it’s the DE/OLB spots in the spotlight. The 49ers finished 11th in the league last season with 38 sacks, and they return an elite group in Justin Smith, Aldon Smith and others. What they did not have in 2012 was a ton of depth at DE or OLB. In drafting explosive athletes Tank Carradine and Corey Lemonier, San Francisco solved that problem. Plus, the 49ers rolled the dice on Glenn Dorsey, who gives them an extra usable body along the interior of their D-line.

Where they got worse: Safety. First-team All-Pro Dashon Goldson may have been slightly overrated last season, but he leaves behind big shoes to fill for rookie Eric Reid and backup Craig Dahl. Reid should claim the starting job Goldson vacated, alongside Donte Whitner. Goldson had 69 tackles, three interceptions and 11 pass break-ups from that spot last season. The bar will need to be lower for Reid, who’s a promising and hard-working prospect, but one who struggled in pass coverage and as a tackler at times during his LSU days. Dahl is a decent safety net, but he’s no Goldson.

Breakout player: LaMichael James, RB. James had just 27 carries during the 2012 regular season and another 11 in the postseason. He only broke one of those for longer than 30 yards and found the end zone just once, too. But he showed enough explosiveness so that San Francisco should want the ball in his hands — especially in a creative offense led by a mobile QB.

Where they stand: The 49ers did not come within a play of winning the Super Bowl by accident. This team is loaded, and it took off to another level once Colin Kaepernick inherited the QB role. They should run near the top of the NFC West division again this season, with a chance to go all the way. The lingering mystery right now: Will Crabtree’s injury, and resulting multi-week absence, tip the division scales in Seattle’s favor?
Quote:
Seattle Seahawks

Key moves: Signed QB Brady Quinn, QB Tarvaris Jackson, DE Cliff Avril, DE Michael Bennett, DT Tony McDaniel, CB Antoine Winfield; traded for WR Percy Harvin; drafted RB Christine Michael, WR Chris Harper, DT Jordan Hill, DT Jesse Williams; lost QB Matt Flynn, RB/KR Leon Washington, DT Alan Branch, DT/DE Jason Jones, OLB Leroy Hill

Where they got better: Wide receiver. Drop the mic and walk away. The Seahawks paid a pretty penny, including their 2013 first-round pick, for Percy Harvin. He will be worth it, provided he can put his recent injury history behind him. Few players in the league are capable of changing a game like Harvin, who sure feels like the piece Seattle was missing. Rookie Chris Harper could be one to watch eventually, as well. He’s a physical receiver who will make catches in traffic and might battle for playing time as the year progresses.

Where they got worse: Outside linebacker, if anywhere. The Seahawks did not lose many contributors off their 2012 team, and where they did — like at defensive tackle, with Alan Branch — quickly replaced those parts with multiple options. But at outside linebacker, they need third-year player Malcolm Smith, he of three career starts and 22 tackles in 2012, to take over for Leroy Hill, a starter in Seattle since 2005. Hill hit free agency this offseason, then was arrested for an alleged domestic violence incident. Seattle could mix and match here, with guys like Bruce Irvin or Mike Morgan. It’s one of the few spots, though, where the answer is not obvious.

Breakout player: Christine Michael, RB. The path to playing time has one big hurdle in it, in the form of Marshawn Lynch. That said, Michael very well might knock Robert Turbin from the backup role, giving him some looks — Turbin had 80 carries from that spot last year.

Where they stand: Seattle and San Francisco are 1 and 1a in this division. The two dates to circle are Sept. 15, when the 49ers visit Seattle; and Dec. 8, when the Seahawks make the return trip to San Francisco. Those games could decide the division. And if Seattle somehow can come up with home-field advantage in the playoffs, the 12th Man might be enough to push them all the way through to the Super Bowl.
http://nfl.si.com/2013/07/12/2013-nf...?sct=uk_t11_a2

Pretty simple. And the good news is that it call comes ulterior-motive free.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 07-14-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:40 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

Quote:
Where they got better: The pass rush. Wide receiver would have been the pick here, with Quinton Patton and Anquan Boldin arriving, but Michael Crabtree’s Achilles injury set that unit back. So, it’s the DE/OLB spots in the spotlight. The 49ers finished 11th in the league last season with 38 sacks, and they return an elite group in Justin Smith, Aldon Smith and others. What they did not have in 2012 was a ton of depth at DE or OLB. In drafting explosive athletes Tank Carradine and Corey Lemonier, San Francisco solved that problem. Plus, the 49ers rolled the dice on Glenn Dorsey, who gives them an extra usable body along the interior of their D-line.
So drafting raw and/or injured rookies + signing an all-time bust = getting better at pass rush?

The 49ers are a worse team (especially on defense) this year than they were last year and the year before.

Last edited by AcheTen (Thumper) : 07-15-2013 at 01:42 PM.
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
So drafting raw and/or injured rookies + signing an all-time bust = getting better at pass rush?

The 49ers are a worse team (especially on defense) this year than they were last year and the year before.
Yup. All the rookies we drafted are definitely going to be injured all the time. Guaranteed.

Dang. I hope we keep on getting worse, because it seems the last two years we've gotten farther in terms of getting a Super Bowl.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 07-15-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:14 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

Quote:
Yup. All the rookies we drafted are definitely going to be injured all the time. Guaranteed.

Dang. I hope we keep on getting worse, because it seems the last two years we've gotten farther in terms of getting a Super Bowl.
Counting on rookies to play at a high level is a sure recipe for disappointment.
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:41 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's unfair that Tank is a 49er. If I'm the 49ers, I switch to a 4-3 defense when Smith retires.

Tank and Smith at DE with Brooks at SAM, Willis at MIKE and Bowman at WILL. That would be sick.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Counting on rookies to play at a high level is a sure recipe for disappointment.
Bryant Young and William Floyd flash their rings at you.
Rabscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:15 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Arizona Cardinals.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
It's unfair that Tank is a 49er. If I'm the 49ers, I switch to a 4-3 defense when Smith retires.

Tank and Smith at DE with Brooks at SAM, Willis at MIKE and Bowman at WILL. That would be sick.
MacDonald would make a very nice UT. Some scrubeenie could play the other tackle spot.
Rabscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:30 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Yeah, just ask the Colts, Redskins, and Seahawks. I'm sure they're extremely disappointed.

Quote:
Old 07-15-2013, 04:48 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, just ask the Colts, Redskins, and Seahawks. I'm sure they're extremely disappointed.
They certainly did awesome but it was still a significant surprise how well all 3 did individually and team wise. I actuallly agree that you can't rely on rookies to make a big impact. It would be nice but guys need time to adapt typically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:53 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Especially in the case of a 4th round pick and a guy coming off an ACL tear just months ago...

The Niners pass rush did not necessarily get better.

It all depends on Smith's health really. The last we saw of him he wasn't the same player and he's not exactly young.

Brooks avoids suspension, Smith is back to pre-injury form, one of the rookies makes in impact = improved pass rush. But those things aren't givens at all.
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:28 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One name that significantly helps the pass rush simply due to getting reps to keep Aldon Smith fresh...

Parys Haralson
Old 07-15-2013, 07:42 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Where they stand: Seattle and San Francisco are 1 and 1a in this division. The two dates to circle are Sept. 15, when the 49ers visit Seattle; and Dec. 8, when the Seahawks make the return trip to San Francisco. Those games could decide the division.

And if Seattle somehow can come up with home-field advantage in the playoffs, the 12th Man might be enough to push them all the way through to the Super Bowl.
Exactly.... that's about it, 2 great teams in my opinion.
I just think Seattle is a little better.
Why?
I remember their game at the end of last year when Seattle clobbered them.
And losing Crabtree & Dashon Goldson -I think- will hurt a lot. Boldin and Harvin are both nice additions, but Harvin is better.... still think it was a gift to get Boldin that cheap.... the NFL should have voided that deal. Where's David Stern?
Old 07-15-2013, 08:14 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
1) What? What do you mean "translate"? He did that against the Cards good D and the 49ers good D.

You insist he's in for a sophomore slump but he had a pretty obvious rookie trajectory. Struggled early and got better with each game. He did struggle, but he clearly got way better after those early struggles.

So why? Sophomore slump because _____________?

2) Harvin is completely healthy and isn't coming back from an ACL tear. If you want to cite injury proneness that's one thing but there's been no indication that the injury that ended his season is even a thought at this point. He's no sure thing but he's an "elite" (stupid word) joker. They have traditional outside receivers. If Harvin's healthy his impact will be huge.

3) Zach Miller isn't a weakness. He's nothing particularly special but he's a decent player. The fact that he's overpaid doesn't change anything. And he really came on late last year (and was brilliant in the Falcons playoff game).

4) Seattle cut Lockette last year in a pretty easy WR battle. He's nothing.

5) This is useless analysis. Wagner not being as good as Willis means what exactly? He's a fine player in his own right and the two players don't play against each other.

6) So first you were unimpressed with a road playoff win in which they were down 14 points and then dominated. And then you were unimpressed with a second road playoff game in which they were down 20 points at halftime, stormed back, and were beaten because of a 30-yard great play by MR/TG. What Wilson did that day was nothing short of remarkable. It was the definition of impressive and saying that the Falcons "went on cruise control" is ridiculous. I don't understand how you could watch that game and not come away impressed with how they responded to early struggles and how Wilson played, especially in the pocket.

And somewhere you mentioned Wilson "is not nearly as dangerous running the option as Kaepernick." Who the **** cares? They run the option as a wrinkle 7% of the time and Kaep is a historically scary running threat. Wilson's game is as a scrambler to buy time - not as a runner. And you fail to give any reasoning for his "sophomore slump" besides alluding to his first few games as a pro which had normal growing pains.

The Seahawks have some issues, but you didn't pinpoint any real ones. Just a bunch of useless comparisons and a frankly incorrect recollection of a pair of damn impressive road playoff performances.
1. The Cardinals have good pieces on D. But lets be real, the team had mailed the season in by the time that game took place. As for the 49er game, I dont think the Niners really bothered to show up for that one. They pretty much had the division in the bag already. Running up the score and padding stats in games where the opponent doesnt show up isn't all that impressive to me.

Lemme just first off say, before I hate on Russell Wilson, I am honestly a big fan. When watching him, I have always said that he throws a really nice ball and has a great feel for the game. It didnt come as a surprise to me that he took the starting job last year, and it came as no surprise to me that he led the Seahawks to the playoffs. But his passer rating of 100? It would be no surprise to me if thats the best passer rating he ever puts up in his career. I see a guy who struggles some when forced to stay in the pocket, who padded his stats in a lot of lopsided wins, and had some fluky plays go his way. I just dont think the Seahawk offense is as great as people think. I think the right side of the line has issues, I dont think Marshawn Lynch will continue to play at the level hes been playing. Im a huge Marshawn fan, hes from the same area as me, I have always loved his running style, but he hasnt been consistent from season to season throughout his career and it would surprise me if he keeps playing at an elite level. And so much of what they do is predicated off their run game. If that run games gets less dominant, it will be harder to run bootlegs and stuff with Wilson, meaning more time in the pocket, and more struggles. And yes, an offseason of tape on Wilson will help coordinators scheme ways to beat him. I dont see the Seahawks' offense from last year as some great unit that won't be slowed down.

I look at some of the other great offenses....Atlanta: Scheme away, theres no good way to stop the combo of Ryan, Roddy, Julio & Tony, not to mention the addition of Jackson. With the Broncos, same deal w Peyton throwing to Thomas, Decker & Welker w/ Clady protecting blindside....Or the 49ers, best OL in the league, dominant run game, one of the best running QBs weve ever seen, who also throws very well from the pocket. Scheme away, it's not gonna be easy to stop. Those kind of offenses looked downright unstoppable at times.

With the Seahawks I felt more like they were just relying on Russell Wilson improvising, which he is great at, but I dont think it will make for sustainable success. Russell Wilson I think has a bright future, but I think some struggles are in order.

2. To me, Percy Harvin is an injury question. I personally feel the Seahawks paid too much for him. I thought the Vikings made off great trading away Harvin for a first rounder, and then signing a superior receiver (Jennings) to a cheaper deal than the one Harvin got. Harvin is a great talent, dont get me wrong, but I dont think he will make the impact people expect.

3. As a Raider fan, I was really upset when we lost Miller, who played great for us to start his career. He was basically our go-to receiver. I dont have the contract he signed in front of me, but I know it was a pretty big deal the Raiders were unwilling to match. Miller isnt a weakness, but he hasnt lived up to the contract and has been pretty quiet since signing with the Seahawks.

4. Yea, ur right, if he got cut by one team, he must be nothing. I think Lockette could do some things and emerge as one of Kaps favorite targets. time will tell. but im not gonna further dignify your comment that because the hawks cut him he is nothing.

5. My point is that the 49ers are by FAR better than the Seahawks at basically EVERY position along the front 7. We are comparing two teams here right? Wagner is a good player, Willis is a future hall of famer in his prime.

6. OK, onto the playoffs, which is really the meat of this.

If the Seahawks were half as good as people think, they would have destroyed the Redskins, it never would have been a game. I expected the Seahawks to win that game with ease. The Redskins overachieved like crazy just making the playoffs. Their best player was playing on a bum leg, their defense is awful. How on earth did the Seahawks let the Redskins even jump out to that lead??? This should have been a huge blowout. It took Griffin getting further hurt and refusing to come out and thus hurting his team for the Seahawks to pull that win. Yea, Russell Wilson got the offense going in the second half, but cmon Washington had no pass rush and an awful secondary. What was the problem in the first place?

Atlanta game started off just how I expected with the Falcons putting a hurting on the Seahawks. It was what 28-6? im not looking up stats for the sake of this argument...But the point is the Falcons tried to kick it into cruise control. They went into prevent D, they got really conservative on offense. Momentum is a hell of thing, the Falcons felt totally in control and that took their foot off the gas and then werent able to punch it back as they were rolling down the hill. Ill give Wilson credit, it was a great comeback, but I still think it had more to do with lacksadaisical play from the Falcons than great play from the Seahawks.

Sorry, just not buying all this "most-talented team in the NFL" hype, and Super Bowl hype. I just dont see it. This team still has growing pains to go through. Theyre still a couple years away in my mind. The 49ers have been on the cusp of a superbowl the last 2 years, have performed great against top competition, and have a formula that seems like it will continue to work. Seahawks still have plenty to prove.

At the end of the day, it will be decided on the field. You can try to discredit my opinion, but I think the Seahawks are way overhyped right now. And have you looked at their schedule? Its absolutely brutal. I remember looking at it and saying they have a total of 1 easy game on it. I see them missing the playoffs, and finishing below the Cardinals. I see the Niners winning the division handily. Well see what happens.

Last edited by Eazy Picks : 07-15-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Eazy Picks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:13 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
They certainly did awesome but it was still a significant surprise how well all 3 did individually and team wise. I actuallly agree that you can't rely on rookies to make a big impact. It would be nice but guys need time to adapt typically.
Doesn't mean you are doomed to failure for doing so 100% of the time, which is what the other poster was implying. And it depends who the rookie is. Doesn't really matter, the 49ers aren't really relying on rookies as the backbone of their success.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 07-15-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:20 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Exactly.... that's about it, 2 great teams in my opinion.
I just think Seattle is a little better.
Why?
I remember their game at the end of last year when Seattle clobbered them.
And losing Crabtree & Dashon Goldson -I think- will hurt a lot. Boldin and Harvin are both nice additions, but Harvin is better.... still think it was a gift to get Boldin that cheap.... the NFL should have voided that deal. Where's David Stern?
You can believe Seattle is better. That was never the point.

Quote: