Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:16 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
It's no wonder why he slid so far in the draft.... nobody wanted to touch that guy despite the talent.
I remember thinking he was one of the 2 or 3 best "TEs" in the draft and when he was available in the 4th round, I laughed. I laughed when NE got him. And now I see why so many people were willing to let him fall.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:02 AM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good Guy Aaron

Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:05 AM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Throwing away your youth, money, and playing in the NFL is disgusting enough, but this pic really just shows you how much of an idiot he really is and what he really loses.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:26 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
Good Guy Aaron

Gives ESPN an excuse to talk about Tebow more, unfortunately.

WMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:39 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...-for-gang-ties

Officials examining Aaron Hernandez's tattoos for gang ties

Quote:
“We'll be looking at his tattoos to see if there are any symbols that affiliate with gangs,” Bristol County Sheriff Thomas Hodgson said via the Boston Herald. “We have to always be vigilant around security and not place him somewhere where there are rival gang members.”

Jorja Leap, an adjunct professor of social welfare at UCLA who is also an expert on Los Angeles gangs, told the Herald that the former Patriots tight end could be in danger if he does have gang ink. “Hernandez could be a very appealing target for someone who wants to make a reputation for himself. The sheriff needs to be extra careful with someone like Hernandez.”

Leap says she's studied the tattoos on Hernandez's arms and they appear decorative, but the tattoos she hasn't seen may be different.

Seventy-two hours ago, Hernandez was a free man, a year removed from a new $40 million contract extension with the Patriots, and living in a sprawling home in upscale North Attleboro, Mass. Now he's facing murder charges and if convicted, could spend the rest of his life behind bars.

Not surprisingly, Hodgson says that Hernandez is undergoing "an adjustment" to being confined to a 7x10-foot cell.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:21 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gaming lineup for this fall is absolutely killer...

Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:35 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreckart View Post
Boston PD has located red SUV with RI plates it was looking for as identified in July 2012 homicide. Aaron Hernandez rented it.

via Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter)

Posted 6 minutes ago from when I posted this. What a character AH is.
This is just completely bananas at this point. Speculation already around that this murder had something to do with Lloyd knowing something about the incident in 2012. Really goes to show just how little we really know about some of these athletes. Apparently it counts for absolutely nothing, but Hernandez always seemed to be a happy, well spoken dude in interviews. It's been mentioned a few times before, but he donated $50,000 off the top of his signing bonus to charity straight away. That received a lot of positive play in the community. Now we're finding out that that the public is a far better off with him off the streets. I'm not sure what the Patriots knew about Hernandez leading up to the draft(I think there's reports that it's far more than we did), but I really think that they have a serious debt to pay to the area if they had absolutely any idea about what they were getting into with the possible gang ties. I may be overreacting, but this stuff is all going down in what is essentially my back yard. Patriots football has become very important to this area over the years and the organizations has done tremendous things for it's people over the years. It's just really sad to see something like this come about and put a damper on that.

Again, not sure what they knew. He was obviously a fantastic player on the field, so I don't blame them for taking a chance on him in the fourth round if it was just about the pot. If it's just that, I'll take the kind of production and talent Hernandez offered on the field every single time. Maybe nothing more could have been done in terms of character evaluation. Maybe Hernandez developed into an even bigger douche during his tenure with the team(evidence points to this **** pre-dating his time as a Patriot). Maybe we thought we could change him. I don't think we'll ever have that narrative fully constructed....but I certainly hope we take additional steps so something like this doesn't happen again. We made as strong a statement as the circumstances allowed by releasing him before the charges became public even though it works against us, but still, let's leave the scumbag thugs on the board instead of paying them millions of dollars.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:42 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it is fair to say NFL teams will start more closely examining players for gang tattoos after what just happened with Aaron Hernandez.

It is a hard issue, some of these players join gangs as children as a matter of survival. Some then get out of the life, others never leave it behind. It isn't like he's the first gang banger in the NFL, hell I guarantee every team has at least 1 on their roster right now. So it becomes a huge gamble in the draft to take a player with gang ties without knowing how tied in they still are.

With Hernandez the Patriots took him in what, the 4th Round? So certainly not a high pick on him at all.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:45 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So basically, he likely committed a double murder 1 month after signing an extension for 40 million dollars. Some way to celebrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:47 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
So basically, he likely committed a double murder 1 month after signing an extension for 40 million dollars. Some way to celebrate.
There are no words to describe how stupid that really is....
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:51 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So very wrong...

"People are going to start respecting LSU...if you don't, we're going to hit you in your mouth."
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Gaming lineup for this fall is absolutely killer...

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:01 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
I think it is fair to say NFL teams will start more closely examining players for gang tattoos after what just happened with Aaron Hernandez.

It is a hard issue, some of these players join gangs as children as a matter of survival. Some then get out of the life, others never leave it behind. It isn't like he's the first gang banger in the NFL, hell I guarantee every team has at least 1 on their roster right now. So it becomes a huge gamble in the draft to take a player with gang ties without knowing how tied in they still are.

With Hernandez the Patriots took him in what, the 4th Round? So certainly not a high pick on him at all.
Yeah, that all makes complete sense. I'm certainly not advocating a systematic dismissal of players from rough backgrounds. This is just such an extreme case with the preliminary ties to the other incident that occurred last year. I still think it's perfectly reasonable to hold the organization culpable to an extent. We're getting word now that some teams had Hernandez completely off their boards. It was always a little strange that he fell the way he did solely because of marijuana use(although I remember being personally skeptical of him as a player at the time. Oops.). I guess what I'm saying is that if you take a risk on a player with those sorts of ties, you damn well better be correct about that stuff being in the past. Especially if you then go and sign them to a lucrative extension. There's zero way to tell if anything more could have actually been done, but it didn't seem to be a very well hidden secret that Hernandez had some issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
...after giving a spiel about being a better person and a father as well. You really can't make this stuff up.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 06-28-2013, 11:10 AM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Just another microcosm for how lame the world is now.

In the 90s, we had a cool football player murder trial. O.J. Simpson. One of the all-time greats, a living legend, commits a double homicide and goes on the run, leading to a televised police chase with suicide seemingly a very possible outcome. Then we had Johnnie Cochran on his "dream team" defense. It does not make sense, it does not make sense, it does not fit. If it does not fit, you must acquit.

The 21st century? Some lame #2 tight end from the lamest "great" team in NFL history, some slimy gangsta, shoots some dude in the back of the head and the media wants to make it into O.J. 2.0. Why should anyone give a **** about this talentless piece of trash? I sure don't. He doesn't deserve special attention because he's a freak'n New England Patriot. Treat him like the journeyman-caliber turd he is. The Patriots will just plug in some new scrub to replace his "production," and this loser will be sent to what is ultimately his natural habitat anyway. He'll be one of the ones acquiring cigarettes, coffee, and smaller, weaker prisoners who were turned out to provide "services" for him.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think there is anything wrong with drafting him. But I don't see why they gave him the contract extension so early. They had to know something was up with him. Was it to give him incentive to stop being a thug and act like an adult and a pro?

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:15 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Just another microcosm for how lame the world is now.

In the 90s, we had a cool football player murder trial. O.J. Simpson. One of the all-time greats, a living legend, commits a double homicide and goes on the run, leading to a televised police chase with suicide seemingly a very possible outcome. Then we had Johnnie Cochran on his "dream team" defense. It does not make sense, it does not make sense, it does not fit. If it does not fit, you must acquit.

The 21st century? Some lame #2 tight end from the lamest "great" team in NFL history, some slimy gangsta, shoots some dude in the back of the head and the media wants to make it into O.J. 2.0. Why should anyone give a **** about this talentless piece of trash? I sure don't. He doesn't deserve special attention because he's a freak'n New England Patriot. Treat him like the journeyman-caliber turd he is. The Patriots will just plug in some new scrub to replace his "production," and this loser will be sent to what is ultimately his natural habitat anyway. He'll be one of the ones acquiring cigarettes, coffee, and smaller, weaker prisoners who were turned out to provide "services" for him.
ill give you piece of trash, but hes far from talentless. Played TE like a WR, athletic enough to play RB. Hardly talentless, he was going to be on the cusp of stardom this year.

That being said, media loves this ****...but he is no OJ, that **** was legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:17 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with drafting him. But I don't see why they gave him the contract extension so early. They had to know something was up with him. Was it to give him incentive to stop being a thug and act like an adult and a pro?
They gave Gronk an extension as well. Just a guess, but I think they wanted to head off the chance of the cost rising to WR money. Also, I think they didn't want to make Hernandez feel like he was less appreciated than Gronk.

I think everyone wants to know what the Patriots knew around the time they started negotiations on his extension.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Shreckart
Rookie

Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man, I bet AH would kill to get out of jail at this point. It's too bad he already has.

In all seriousness, were his pre-draft concerns only marijuana related? If they were then, no that's not good, but there's bigger concerns than someone loving some maryjane. I have to believe nobody besides Aaron and his circle of friends ever saw murder actually coming by the way he conducted himself in the public eye. The patriots have dealt with characters before, so they probably thought they could do the same with AH, and with the performances he put on the field, he was deserving to be rewarded with a nice contract, as early as it was (I know it was too early, but it was deserved).
Old 06-28-2013, 11:20 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
ill give you piece of trash, but hes far from talentless. Played TE like a WR, athletic enough to play RB. Hardly talentless, he was going to be on the cusp of stardom this year.

That being said, media loves this ****...but he is no OJ, that **** was legendary
Yeah. Hernandez is overrated by the media. If he were on another team, the fans would be banging the drum that he was about to be a breakout star.

Hernandez was a good player that had a lot of talent, but he was not irreplaceable. The Patriots will have to situationally replace him, instead of having just 1 guy to do his job.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:27 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Yeah. Hernandez is overrated by the media. If he were on another team, the fans would be banging the drum that he was about to be a breakout star.

Hernandez was a good player that had a lot of talent, but he was not irreplaceable. The Patriots will have to situationally replace him, instead of having just 1 guy to do his job.
And there lies the problem. Hernandez's production is replaceable. But the personnel groupings on the field that are dictated by his versatility is not replaceable. Not easily at least.

That's what made him so valuable. He's so versatile you can run so many different formations with the same personnel and force defenses to pick their poison with their personnel groupings.

That's where his loss hurts you on the field.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hernandez is incredibly overrated, and his loss will not hurt the team one iota if Gronk is healthy. Even if Gronk is out, at least they won't deal with his crappy routes, crappy blocking and drops constantly.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:36 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
And there lies the problem. Hernandez's production is replaceable. But the personnel groupings on the field that are dictated by his versatility is not replaceable. Not easily at least.

That's what made him so valuable. He's so versatile you can run so many different formations with the same personnel and force defenses to pick their poison with their personnel groupings.

That's where his loss hurts you on the field.
I'm not even sure his statistical production is replaceable this late in the game. We're depending a whole ton on young wide receivers. I'm willing to wager we have one of the worst track records in the league in recent years at developing players at that position. We'll have to see though. It's also important to note just how much of his production came on easy, short throws after the catch. I don't think I've ever seen a tight end better at making people miss in the open field.

But yeah, you make an excellent point about the personnel groupings. I loved what we did with Hernandez. It went so much deeper than just splitting him out wide occasionally. Dude held his own as a ball carrier and was really hard to keep track of in passing sets out of the backfield.

So yeah, this basically sucks ass from an on the field football perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Hernandez is incredibly overrated, and his loss will not hurt the team one iota if Gronk is healthy. Even if Gronk is out, at least they won't deal with his crappy routes, crappy blocking and drops constantly.
Not sure I agree about him being overrated. Overcelebrated? Probably. I really don't think he could have done what he was able to do without Gronk on the other side of the field taking linebackers and safeties downfield. He was a perfect complimentary players though. It's certainly going to be easier to replace him than it would be to replace Gronk, but it's not a simple fix either.

...and yeah, he did have a pretty bad problem with the dropsies. Particularly in traffic and with guys on him. He was able to generate space downfield when matched up with linebackers, but he rarely won the battle for contested balls.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 06-28-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:50 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm not even sure his statistical production is replaceable this late in the game. We're depending a whole ton on young wide receivers. I'm willing to wager we have one of the worst track records in the league in recent years at developing players at that position. We'll have to see though. It's also important to note just how much of his production came on easy, short throws after the catch. I don't think I've ever seen a tight end better at making people miss in the open field.

But yeah, you make an excellent point about the personnel groupings. I loved what we did with Hernandez. It went so much deeper than just splitting him out wide occasionally. Dude held his own as a ball carrier and was really hard to keep track of in passing sets out of the backfield.

So yeah, this basically sucks ass from an on the field football perspective.

Not sure I agree about him being overrated. Overcelebrated? Probably. I really don't think he could have done what he was able to do without Gronk on the other side of the field taking linebackers and safeties downfield. He was a perfect complimentary players though. It's certainly going to be easier to replace him than it would be to replace Gronk, but it's not a simple fix either.

...and yeah, he did have a pretty bad problem with the dropsies. Particularly in traffic and with guys on him. He was able to generate space downfield when matched up with linebackers, but he rarely won the battle for contested balls.
I think the Patriots as a collective team will be fine. One, the defense has significantly improved and I expect them to make a leap defensively this year. That will help take pressure off the offense.

2, I think they establish the run more. They already were 2nd in rush attempts last year, I expect that number to go up. 3, because of Ballard they can still run 2 TE, they just won't dictate personnel groupings the same way.

4, I think the quick tempo offense they run mitigates a lot of personnel issues on the outside bc they catch defenses off guard a lot with it.

5, Amendola will replace Welker as long as he can stay healthy.

6. Tom Brady do what Tom Brady do.

7. Your offense had the same question marks at WR before Hernandez got arrested. The key to surviving isn't the WRs, it's replacing Hernandez. With Ballard and a healthier run game you can mitigate the loss.

8. Choice route offenses like the Patriots is more about route running than athleticism on the outside. You don't need athletic WRs, you just need smart ones.

Basically, I think they while they lost a lot, they also gained in other areas, and the overall impact on the team as a whole will be minimal. I think they're still a playoff team. They're just going to have to do it a bit differently than the past. Expect a more defensive run oriented Patriots team this year.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:57 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I expect the Patriots will try to use Vareen as their new Hernandez. Meaning they'll use his versatility to dictate personnel groupings and mitigate his impact that way.

Vareen has RB/WR potential that can be used to force defenses to either matchup a LB or a safety on him. If he can show himself to be a great slot, then you have to wonder if you need a CB on him, which lightens the defense more.

Essentially, his versatility can be used in similar fashion to AH, and can give the Patriots a similar poker chip.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:00 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's amazing how much people's opinion shifts in a short amount of time. There were people saying how good Hernandez was (great never came up) and now he's replaceable.

I think many are overestimating how replaceable he is. I like Jake Ballard, Michael Hoomanuwai (sp), and Daniel Fells but they're not Hernandez combined.

Ballard is a good TE, can get some production, but he's not going to create mismatches like Hernandez. The other two are still questionable players in my mind.

The Patriots were counting on their TEs to lead the passing game this season, to carry the WRs for the year until they hit full speed and the rookies contribute. Losing one of the TEs hurts no matter what you say. It's not like this happened during the early offseason where they could just go out and grab Fred Davis or Dustin Keller.

It's probably going to take Ballard, Hoomanuwai (sp), Fells, Vereen and Washington to fill the complete void left by Hernandez.

In addition, Gronkowski's injury, from what I've seen, puts his timetable right at week 1. If there's any setback, any soreness he'll probably be held out.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote