Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-26-2013, 05:10 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Business Thread

Anybody here run their own business or have any business ideas for a small town? I'm considering starting up my own business but can't get a great idea that I love.

I graduated with a degree in Business Administration so I know some about running a business, really just need a good idea to start one.

Not asking for some great business idea that's going to change the world, just for one that you can run and get by in a small town. I have about 20k in liquid assets right now, have a friend that's a banker that I could probably get a small business loan from as well.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:15 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do you have a certain age market you are targeting?
Old 07-26-2013, 05:23 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As much as it would suck, maybe a bar. If its a small town, you know people, it could become the hang out for depressed Titans fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:37 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

don't start in a restaurant if you know nothing about running a restaurant. Otherwise you'll have this guy...

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:45 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
Do you have a certain age market you are targeting?
Being a small town I think the best thing would be to get into an area of need that's not being addressed.

There is a large population of young adults with extra money though.

Quote:
As much as it would suck, maybe a bar. If its a small town, you know people, it could become the hang out for depressed Titans fans.
I've considered a sports bar, with a separate entrance for a "family" restaurant. I'm also in Kansas, not Tennessee.

Quote:
don't start in a restaurant if you know nothing about running a restaurant. Otherwise you'll have this guy...
I don't really want to do a restaurant, it's one of the worst businesses to open, I can cook on caliber to have a restaurant, but not really what I'm thinking.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:49 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Definitely not a restaurant.

Sports bar would not be a bad idea, but then again that would eventually evolve into a semi-restaurant and I'm just not sure that would be worth it.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:49 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Possibly look into a delivery service of groceries/ other needs?

Basically the old people dont want to get out, and the young people would rather play video games or other things rather than go to the grocery store. Start up a business that tailors to both young and all. Maybe connect with a local super market to use just their grocery store, if they can get you a certain discount. Use your assets to buy a vehicle just to deliver and create a good website, and the main thing is you should know what goes on sale a day early so you can update your website accordingly. Also for the younger kids do the same with a local liquor store, provided they show ID once you arrive. All this use for debit/ credit card and post a warning that if they could not provide a ID then they still get charge a certain amount of $ as well.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:00 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
Definitely not a restaurant.

Sports bar would not be a bad idea, but then again that would eventually evolve into a semi-restaurant and I'm just not sure that would be worth it.
That's my biggest debate, I think the sports bar would actually go over very well in my small town. The only bar currently their is nicknamed by the locals as "the scum pub" where all the true alcoholics go. In fact, most people from the age of 21-30 drive 15miles to the next closest bar instead of going to this one.

Setting up a nice clean atmosphere to drink with sports on tv, the only problem is without food you'd be missing out on a huge profit. Even if it was just gas station food, they'd still buy it. But I just don't know if I want to mess with the food aspect.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:01 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
Possibly look into a delivery service of groceries/ other needs?

Basically the old people dont want to get out, and the young people would rather play video games or other things rather than go to the grocery store. Start up a business that tailors to both young and all. Maybe connect with a local super market to use just their grocery store, if they can get you a certain discount. Use your assets to buy a vehicle just to deliver and create a good website, and the main thing is you should know what goes on sale a day early so you can update your website accordingly. Also for the younger kids do the same with a local liquor store, provided they show ID once you arrive. All this use for debit/ credit card and post a warning that if they could not provide a ID then they still get charge a certain amount of $ as well.
That actually wouldn't be a bad idea, except the town is so unpopulated I just don't see getting enough business doing this.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:16 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
That actually wouldn't be a bad idea, except the town is so unpopulated I just don't see getting enough business doing this.
How much business do you need though? If your looking to make it big, see if you can work it on a small level first. If you charge a certain amount plus mileage and you get maybe 15 customers a day, youre looking at yourself making a days pay right there.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is your town suffering from a crack epidemic? If so, great! If not, create one!

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:36 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Its my wife's hometown, here's a little more information on it. Roughly 1000 people, the biggest employer of it is the government whether city, county or whatever.

It has 2 gas stations, 2 restaurants, 1 grocery store, 1 liquor store, 1 bar, 2 banks, a lumber yard and a hardware store, pharmacy, doctors office, couple of hair places, computer repair/website design, high school, grade school.

That's about it really, o also like 20%+ live under the poverty line and most people there make their own meth so I can't even make it and sell it.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:44 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

No fast food? If there was fast food, id try to get land to do the sports bar next to it. Takes care of your food problem.

Crap, hire a worker who goes to the fast food place to get the food for people.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 PM    (permalink
ncst8fan83
Pro Bowler

ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fast food franchise. For realz. If it's a younger population, make sure it is healthy and fast.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/

Select your state and 50k or less and choose your destiny, my son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman
Titty sprinkles

Last edited by ncst8fan83 : 07-26-2013 at 07:44 PM.
ncst8fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:36 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
Its my wife's hometown, here's a little more information on it. Roughly 1000 people, the biggest employer of it is the government whether city, county or whatever.

It has 2 gas stations, 2 restaurants, 1 grocery store, 1 liquor store, 1 bar, 2 banks, a lumber yard and a hardware store, pharmacy, doctors office, couple of hair places, computer repair/website design, high school, grade school.

That's about it really, o also like 20%+ live under the poverty line and most people there make their own meth so I can't even make it and sell it.
Sports bar sounds like the a potential success, but it's such a huge risk.

What are the restaurants in the area?

Another one that someone started in KC recently is a glass pickup service. People pay a deposit for bins (recycling bins with his company logo and distinctive color) and a subscription cost based on how often they want him to come by each month to pick up their glass.

The pickup schedules are aligned with the trash pickup schedules for each neighborhood. My neighbor uses the service and loves it. Saves them trips to the glass recycling center and stinking up their car with old beer bottles.

http://atlasglasskc.com/

It's a great service, profitable, eally low start-up costs, and solid growth potential. It's probably reliable income as well since most people that start the service will like it so much, they'll never cancel.

I HATE that I didn't come up with this one.

Last edited by nepg : 07-26-2013 at 08:38 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:04 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

A fast food franchise would definitely be an option I feel, as long as the cost were low enough and I get approved for the franchise placement.

The two restaurant are just small owner operated, not franchises.

The glass program could work if the town was a little larger, but it's small enough that nobody uses a trash pick-up service (although there is 1 small one), because it literally takes you about 3 minutes to drive and do it yourself. In addition, the people that don't care about glass throw it in regular trash and it goes into the compactor. For the ones that do care, there is an area to place glass to recycle at the trash dump when you take your trash.

I really wish this was an option for the small town, I have had a small (Around 5k a year) business where I take alcohol/glass pop bottles, drill them out, put lights in them and sell them. That would be getting paid to increase my bottle inventory, which would be great.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:35 AM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what is your location exactly? This would allow us to dive deeper to help answer this question.

Quote:
Old 07-27-2013, 12:58 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was actually thinking of some business ideas earlier and the most intriguing thought that popped into my head was a bar/liquor store combo.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:20 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What part of Kansas are you at?

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:24 AM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

There was a bar near me that recently opened near school that was solely an ale house. They didn't serve food, so they did not have to deal with any of that regulation/expenses.

How they worked was that they were constantly rotating craft beers on tap. I mean almost every other day they had a new beer. It was awesome and always kept people coming back for more. On top of that they were very knowledgeable about it and wanted to teach about beers. I think they just started the nano brewing process as well.

Talking with them, after about 6 months they were making more than they expected. Maybe it helped they were near a campus...but not really the campus crowd. They served specialty beers and had a lot of regular customers in a short period of time.

Quote:
Old 07-27-2013, 01:26 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearfan View Post
what is your location exactly? This would allow us to dive deeper to help answer this question.
It's southeast Kansas. Roughly an hour and half south of the Kansas City metro area
Old 07-27-2013, 01:27 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
I was actually thinking of some business ideas earlier and the most intriguing thought that popped into my head was a bar/liquor store combo.
I could be wrong, but I think that is illegal in the state of Kansas
Old 07-27-2013, 01:28 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
What part of Kansas are you at?
I'm currently in the Leavenworth area, but we are looking for a business opportunity to move to south where my wife's family is from
Old 07-27-2013, 08:38 AM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My idea for a bar always has been to have a breakfast place attached that is open from 11 PM to 2 PM. People get kicked out of your bar into your breakfast diner.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:57 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What are the demographics of the area?

You could look toward government or state grants see what's available that would make sense in the area. For example, a small town in Kansas could probably benefit greatly from solar energy.