Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:35 AM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
People trying to downplay Sanders's negative runs and overall minimal gains just demonstrates nobody here actually watched him play. He's everyone's favorite highlight/box score back. You'd feel differently about him if you actually watched some Lions games back when he was playing.

Guess what bud, there are some of us actually old enough to have watched Barry's entire career and not just in highlights. We might have been in grade school then but even at that it doesn't take a genius to figure out how gifted Barry was at eluding would be tacklers.

You're either delusional or a complete douche.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:07 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingColt View Post
Guess what bud, there are some of us actually old enough to have watched Barry's entire career and not just in highlights. We might have been in grade school then but even at that it doesn't take a genius to figure out how gifted Barry was at eluding would be tacklers.

Never said he wasn't gifted at eluding would-be tacklers.

I, like people here, once bought into the hype. I'd get excited when the Lions were going to be on TV, be it Thanksgiving or any other game. "Yesssss," I thought, "Barry Sanders is going to tear up the opponent for 5, 6 yards per CARRY today!"

Then the game would begin...soft dancing, gain of 1. Soft dancing, gain of 2. Soft dancing, loss of 3. 3rd down and 11, Sanders on the draw, gain of 6. Punt. Sanders, eludes 2 and reverses field, back to the line of scrimmage. Soft dancing, gain of 4. Soft dancing, gain of 3.

If I was lucky and caught him on one of his "on" days, eventually he'd break one for 50.

Highlights always look exciting. You only see it when it works. When it really works. With Sanders, there was no pattern as to when he got his breakaway runs. With many backs, they got stronger as the game went on (not so much that they actually got stronger, but the defense just got tired and they pounded away until they and the offensive line had the advantage). Emmitt Smith was like that. Some would start strong and fade...electrifying early, but poor stamina. Marshawn Lynch was like that in his Buffalo days. With Sanders, he might break one on the very first drive and then that would be it, or he might break one in the 3rd or 4th quarter. What's the score when he does it? When do you keep feeding him the ball because he's the king of the big run, and when do you go to the pass?

Not a question I'd want to answer as an offensive coordinator.

I just find him and the talk surrounding him irritating in general. The bashing of the offensive line, the scapegoating of the supporting cast, the justification for his quitting. Blame the Lions for him being a quitter...they're apparently not only incompetent, but they're also apparently so evil they wouldn't even trade him when teams would be lining up around the league, believing the hype, and offering 1st round picks to get him. The reality is clearly that the guy just didn't want to play football anymore, period.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:52 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Here's what Football Outsiders has to say about the topic:

Their database was actually recently updated and now extends back to 1989. Sanders finished top-5 in both DYAR and DVOA in both 1989 and 1990.
Yeah, but that's also independent of how Barry (or boom/bust guy) ran in a given situation. If you need to run out the clock, there's no reason boom/bust guy can't just hit the hole and run north/south to suit the team's need in that situation.

Outside of offensive line stats and some trends, I don't really see a lot of value in advanced statistics in football right now. There are too many situations and variables. The stats we have aren't very good yet. Maybe down the road when the field has grown a bit, more useful information will come out of the numbers.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:22 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know about you njx but I love watching me some yards per carry. Cause that's something that remotely makes sense to cheer for.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:39 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
no one, in the history of time, has ever thought that about any running back ever. no one thinks that about AD. no one thought that about dickerson. no one thought that about payton. you know why? because being excited to watch a player to see his YPC stat would be utterly idiotic. it would be a pure and perfect demonstration of a complete inability to see the forest for one really ugly tree. it would, in all honesty, be the kind of thing that someone only pretending, at a very base level, to be a football fan would think.

or, it was a good troll taken one step too far.
Where did I say I was "excited to see his YPC stat?"

You seriously might be the stupidest person in history if that's what you got from my post. Go back to school and learn how to comprehend a single sentence that you read. The fact that you don't even capitalize the first word at the beginning of sentences makes me believe you really are that unfathomably stupid.

Every time I think I've got a firm handle on just how stupid modern people are, I see a new rock bottom.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:22 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
i quoted and bolded exactly where you said that (the whole one sentence of it). it's hardly my fault that you're incapable of articulating your argument clearly, or that you've already forgotten or feel embarrassed by what you typed.

don't beat yourself up so much, it's ok. english takes practice, as does effective trolling. i have no doubt you'll make up for that slip with another steady stream of replies. no doubt someone will be mad. and you can keep feeling like you really accomplished something today.

it's way more fun than watching a guy run well, for sure.
Me:
Quote:
"Yesssss," I thought, "Barry Sanders is going to tear up the opponent for 5, 6 yards per CARRY today!"
You:

Quote:
i quoted and bolded exactly where you said that (the whole one sentence of it).
Referring to:

Quote:
say I was "excited to see his YPC stat?"
So in your world, "Yesssss," I thought, "Barry Sanders is going to tear up the opponent for 5, 6 yards per CARRY today!" = "I was excited to see his YPC stat?"

Yeah, you're right...I was looking forward to seeing a stat. I just couldn't wait to see Barry's average yards per carry pop up on the screen, but then it didn't, so I was disappointed. That's exactly what I was saying. Good work. Your English teacher must be so proud.

Most people would have thought I was talking about thinking I'd see a game where his averages are a closer representation of what he'd gain on a typical carry, but then you're not like most people. You're..."special."
Old 09-24-2013, 03:43 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
no part of that changes the fact that you were excited about how many yards he'd average per carry. the rest of my post applies completely. that's the stupidest thing anyone has ever been excited about. find a better troll, because you've exhausted this one.
How about, "Peyton's gonna throw for 400 yards on these *************." Anyone in history said that?

How about, "We're gonna put up 50 on these bitches." Think nobody in the history of the planet has said that before?

Oh no, statisticzzzz...who would think about statistics going into a football game? Anyone who does is clearly a "troll"...in an era where the term has lost all meaning.

You'd have a point if I said, "Barry Sanders is gonna average 5.32674 yards per carry tonight. I can't wait until he averages that!"

But this is where a little thing called "context" comes into the equation. I wasn't disappointed in Sanders's games because of what his averages were or weren't in the games I watched. Oftentimes he wound up with exactly the averages everyone raved about (you know, the announcers talking about how he basically averaged a first down every 2 carries...oh, you probably don't know...you'd have to have paid attention back then). But he did them in the way I described, which is what came after the part about being excited before the game. Soft running, minimal gains, losses, BOOM...50 yarder. But even if that 50 yarder was exciting, it was the only exciting thing he did...or maybe he had 1 or 2 more exciting runs in him to finish it off. I would have enjoyed him regularly ripping off solid chunks representative of a 5 or 6 yards/carry average a lot more. Though a product of a blocking scheme, Terrell Davis was like that (as were the other Denver RBs in those days). Priest Holmes (same) was like that in Kansas City. That's what a great running game looks like. I want 4's, 5's, 6's, 7's, and some 10s and 13s. I don't care about the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s if they come at the expense of consistency.

Not complicated stuff.

But this is your shtick (I remember you from the Terrell Owens website thread). Trying to argue semantics by ignoring all context and subtext with a stubborn refusal to capitalize words when necessary, a lazy writing style you defended by comparing your internet writing to famous poets using improper grammar and punctuation in their works ). Let me guess, you only do this when you see a post or thread with a claim you don't agree with. If someone says something you agree with, they can express it any way they wish and you would never take issue with it or play ignorant to all obvious subtleties in their post in order to hone in on semantics. Am I right?
Old 09-24-2013, 03:51 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jim Brown has the most bitchin mode.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:11 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wanted a thread about advanced statistics, it turned into another JordanTaber roasting. I can't say I'm disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:17 PM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingColt View Post

In this case, those two are not mutually exclusive.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:19 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
I wanted a thread about advanced statistics, it turned into another JordanTaber roasting. I can't say I'm disappointed.
Yeah, I was going to point out that yards/carry isn't "advanced statistics." That's remedial statistics. I don't know what Taber is even doing in this thread.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:19 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I don't know what Taber is even doing in this thread.
People have asked that question since the beginning of time.

Quote:
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:32 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
Yeah I'm pretty disappointed too. Advanced NFL stats just aren't there in general and especially with fans. We just don't know anything yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:26 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
no one has ever said "i'm so stoked for peyton to average 8 yards per completion today!"
Nobody talks about yards per completion. Everyone talks about yards per carry. There's another thread on this very board where people are saying guys like Bettis don't belong in the HOF because of their career yards/carry averages.

Quote:
no one has ever said "i can't wait to get at least 35 minutes of possession time!"
Yeah, totally compatible comparison. Not.

Quote:
you picked a stupid microstatistic and then tried to backpeddle with a bunch of macros. it's cute, but doesn't really help your cause at all. i know you're scrambling right now, so i'm not really holding it against you.
Uh huh. Right. Because nobody cares about a RBs yards/carry average. "Microstatistic"...yeesh.

Quote:
what? what do statistics have to do with anything? i said that being excited for YPC is idiotic. and it is. and "anyone" who does isn't a troll. *you* are a troll. it's clear from your posting history, not just from this conversation. this is just the conversation where you reached a bit too far. it happens.
You still don't understand what a troll is. I would be trolling if I were posting things just to get a reaction. That's not what I'm doing. I really would never want Barry Sanders on my team and think he hurt the Lions as much as he helped them offensively. He was a microcosm of their team - inconsistent.

Quote:
... that's not really any different, except that one is slightly more obsessive-compulsive.
The difference is, my post had many more lines afterwards which clarified the meaning of what I was saying. Nobody with any functioning brain cells could read my post and think, "he's looking forward to a back getting a specific statistic." I was looking forward to a back who averaged 5-6 yards/carry playing like you'd expect a back who averaged 5-6 yards/carry to play.

Quote:
you're literally hating on him for his average after you add and remove a bunch of stuff so that you can be outraged about his average. i have no idea why you won't just own it. and i have no idea why you're trying to distract with a bunch of other junk.
Yeah. So what? I was adjusting his averages to show how distorted his overall average was in comparison to other backs.

Quote:
i mean, i didn't think so until you decided that you didn't want to talk about how stupid it is to be excited about a player's potential YPC. i don't blame you for not wanting to talk about it.
I love how you just continually ignore the point.

Quote:
what? oh, right. sorry. this is the part of the program where, unable to defend your own post, you go on the offensive and attack the messenger directly. i shouldn't be surprised that you'd jump right into the childishness of what amounts to "i'm rubber and you're glue", but i sort of am. *shrug*
This is the part where after I successfully defended my post, you just ignore everything that successfully defends it and stick to your original, meaningless statement of stupidity in regards to semantics.

Quote:
it's cool. if you want to hate sanders because he let you down as a child by not averaging 7 ypc, then that's fine. but you really should man up and own it rather than trying to attack my choice to not use capital letters. because one of these things is actually relevant to this conversation, and one isn't.
It's relevant to you using the same tactic you used...what, 3 years ago? Well hey, I guess you're just writing what you know...which is nothing at all.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:00 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So Barry gets positive yards on 9/10 runs, and produces more big gains than probably anyone on a per carry basis=loses too many yards.

Again, I want to see other top backs, and how often they get tackled for a loss. Bet 90% is the best success rate for most, I doubt we have anyone pushing 100%, lol. I'd venture to say most are even lower than 90% by a good bit.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:31 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey njx... why do you keep these exchanges going for so long? Most of this page is you two going back and forth trying to out-snide the other. It's a "yor dum" "no yor dum" exchange that's got nothing to do with football at this point. You're just feeding the Barry-Sanders-Sucks Troll.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:29 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
no one talks about being excited to see a running back average 7 yards per carry. if they have, i'm sure you could find a quote someplace.
7 yards per carry? Why 7? I said 5 or 6.

Your reply to me was pointless. It's hilarious. You went off on me because you failed to comprehend what I was saying and thought I was excited to see a yards per carry statistic? So what if I was? Even if you weren't busy trying to knock down a straw man, who gives a damn?

"How dare you get excited about a yards/carry average, GRRRRRR."

It's such a transparent and obnoxious attempt to discredit me for saying something you don't agree with but can't actually argue against. It's no different than in the Terrell Owens thread. You're the type of clueless lemming who regurgitates idiots in sports media...actually buys into the ludicrous sensationalism, and then if someone threatens your misguided beliefs, rather than actually attempting to argue the details, you turn to semantics. Pretend not to follow at any aside. Pretend a statement that was expounded on can be taken in some alternate meaning...and not only that, but pretend that alternate meaning is the only meaning it could possibly have.

I would think "Yesssss," I thought, "Barry Sanders is going to tear up the opponent for 5, 6 yards per CARRY today!" has pretty clear implications. For starters, the expression "tear it up" would seem to imply I'm not hoping for 1 carry for 5 yards, or 2 carries for 12 yards. Once you get past that, it's pretty obvious what the meaning is. Big game, high yards/carry average, excitement over the potential for such. Then the following lines about how said big games transpired, implying the reason for my disappointment.

Oh well, better to focus on that than try to argue with me when I mention that if you remove 20+ yard runs from both backs, Derek Loville had a higher yards/carry average in 1995 than Barry Sanders.

Quote:
i'll totally take your word for it.
If you want a better comparison, try completion percentage. Just as running backs are judged largely on how many yards they average per carry, quarterbacks are judged by completion percentage of passer rating. Peyton Manning will complete 70% of his passes against this team.

Does that meet with your approval for excitement? No? Crap, what on earth shall I do? Well, too bad...I'm expecting Manning to complete 70+% of his passes against the Eagles, and for that, I am excited. What are you going to do about it?

Quote:
i mean, you prattle on about context, then ignore it when it "suits" you. compared to talking about peyton throwing for 400 yards? yeah, it's a microstatistic. unless you're not understanding the difference between micro and macro. i'd be happy to define them for you, if it's an issue of simple english comprehension.
The issue here is with your arbitrary and ridiculous attempt at defining what is and is not a "micro" or "macro" statistic. Yards/carry, not a micro-statistic. It's considered as important as any statistic for a running back. A back getting 1200 yards on 3.2 yards/carry would be considered a failure. Yes, you need the total yards, too...but without a sufficient yards/carry average, the back isn't considered elite.

Quote:
it's become more and more clear, with every post you've made about it, including this thread, that you're just repeating the same stuff to get a reaction. it started off really well done. the numbers were well researched. the thought processes were flawed, but not obviously. then you talked about your excitement to see barry average X yards per carry and went a bit too far. it's cool. the terrell owens thing was pretty well done, too. i have full faith you can come up with another one.
Nope. You would be arrogant enough to assume that anyone who doesn't agree with your regurgitated, general consensus views must be trolling, though.

Quote:
this wasn't really responsive.
Oh, shut up.

Quote:
you're picking and choosing numbers based on nothing other than caprice.
Yeah, caprice. Right. It couldn't be that I was making a point about how his rushing averages, which is why he is so respected, were distorted by his big runs...and that once you removed big runs from the equation with both he and other backs, he was down near the bottom in terms of bread-and-butter carries.

Definitely not that. You'd have to argue with that, which you can not do.

Quote:
i'm posting specifically to a single point. you're the only one trying to talk past it.
I never said what you claimed I did. I explained how I didn't say it. If you choose to ignore it, that's your problem.

Quote:
i'm still waiting for the defense. you keep trying to tell me why it's ok to not like barry because he loses yards or his average sucks if you only count his runs to the 2 hole before 12pm on cloudy sundays. i couldn't care less what you think of barry. i think being excited to see a guy average 6-7 yards per carry is ridiculous.
It was "5 or 6."

If I told you going into a game, "tonight, Barry Sanders is going to average 14.7 yards/carry," would you be excited to see that? Yes? No?

I mean, jeez...the guy might do 10 rushes for 147 yards. He might do 20 rushes for 294 yards. Maybe some other combination. Maybe he gets hurt early and doesn't do as much, but knowing Barry Sanders, he'll probably get a significant number of carries.

So based on Barry's 5 or 6 yards/carry season averages, I would think going into games, "man, I can't wait. Barry might do 5 or 6 yards/carry today while tearing it up." You know, tearing it up...not 2 rushes for 11 yards, but something more like 25 rushes for 145 yards. Sounds like an exciting stat line to me. But I've got to be careful not to mention that that averages out to 5.8 yards/carry, because if I get excited about the average in that stat line that I'm imagining, that would be ridiculous. Who cares if it's 5.8 or 2.8? Macro-statistics only, plzzzz.

Quote:
seriously? 3 years ago? sometimes you just have to like, let go of a grudge. i'm sorry that you've made two arguments i thought sucked.
No, it had nothing to do with the arguments and you know it. It had to do with the fact that you are on the opposite side with your idiotic beliefs. Go back to 2008, and there you are, slurping up the Ed Werder article on Terrell Owens, wondering how fans could think he won't single-handedly annihilate the team with his ESPN-certified team-destroying ways, confirmed by an anonymous source who speaks regularly with an anonymous relative of an anonymous janitor in a Cowboys bar. Then along I come, and suddenly my "writing" is terribadz...says the moron who won't even use the "Shift" key to begin sentences. Says the moron who can't understand why I'd make a parenthetical reference rhetorically asking, "who is the selfish one and who is the team cancer again?" in the section about "sideline blowups" with Jerry Rice and others.

Rather than actually address the arguments themselves, you again focused on semantics. Same thing here. The subtext of all of this is you think Barry Sanders is either the greatest or one of the greatest running backs ever, just as it is that you buy into the ridiculous, idiotic notion that Terrell Owens is a "team cancer" who "destroys teams." The latter is basically a credibility-ender, yet you persist in the pseudo-intellectual babble featuring a rehash of some philosophy courses you took and bombed in years ago featuring both keyboard and logical failures. What an utterly worthless human.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:39 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
7 yards per carry? Why 7? I said 5 or 6.

Your reply to me was pointless. It's hilarious. You went off on me because you failed to comprehend what I was saying and thought I was excited to see a yards per carry statistic? So what if I was? Even if you weren't busy trying to knock down a straw man, who gives a damn?

"How dare you get excited about a yards/carry average, GRRRRRR."

It's such a transparent and obnoxious attempt to discredit me for saying something you don't agree with but can't actually argue against. It's no different than in the Terrell Owens thread. You're the type of clueless lemming who regurgitates idiots in sports media...actually buys into the ludicrous sensationalism, and then if someone threatens your misguided beliefs, rather than actually attempting to argue the details, you turn to semantics. Pretend not to follow at any aside. Pretend a statement that was expounded on can be taken in some alternate meaning...and not only that, but pretend that alternate meaning is the only meaning it could possibly have.

I would think "Yesssss," I thought, "Barry Sanders is going to tear up the opponent for 5, 6 yards per CARRY today!" has pretty clear implications. For starters, the expression "tear it up" would seem to imply I'm not hoping for 1 carry for 5 yards, or 2 carries for 12 yards. Once you get past that, it's pretty obvious what the meaning is. Big game, high yards/carry average, excitement over the potential for such. Then the following lines about how said big games transpired, implying the reason for my disappointment.

Oh well, better to focus on that than try to argue with me when I mention that if you remove 20+ yard runs from both backs, Derek Loville had a higher yards/carry average in 1995 than Barry Sanders.

If you want a better comparison, try completion percentage. Just as running backs are judged largely on how many yards they average per carry, quarterbacks are judged by completion percentage of passer rating. Peyton Manning will complete 70% of his passes against this team.

Does that meet with your approval for excitement? No? Crap, what on earth shall I do? Well, too bad...I'm expecting Manning to complete 70+% of his passes against the Eagles, and for that, I am excited. What are you going to do about it?

The issue here is with your arbitrary and ridiculous attempt at defining what is and is not a "micro" or "macro" statistic. Yards/carry, not a micro-statistic. It's considered as important as any statistic for a running back. A back getting 1200 yards on 3.2 yards/carry would be considered a failure. Yes, you need the total yards, too...but without a sufficient yards/carry average, the back isn't considered elite.

Nope. You would be arrogant enough to assume that anyone who doesn't agree with your regurgitated, general consensus views must be trolling, though.

Oh, shut up.

Yeah, caprice. Right. It couldn't be that I was making a point about how his rushing averages, which is why he is so respected, were distorted by his big runs...and that once you removed big runs from the equation with both he and other backs, he was down near the bottom in terms of bread-and-butter carries.

Definitely not that. You'd have to argue with that, which you can not do.

I never said what you claimed I did. I explained how I didn't say it. If you choose to ignore it, that's your problem.

It was "5 or 6."

If I told you going into a game, "tonight, Barry Sanders is going to average 14.7 yards/carry," would you be excited to see that? Yes? No?

Sir Tristram, violer d'amores, fr'over the short sea, had passen-core rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war: nor had topsawyer's rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse to Laurens County's gorgios while they went doublin their mumper all the time: nor avoice from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to tauftauf thuartpeatrick: not yet, though venissoon after, had a kidscad buttended a bland old isaac: not yet, though all's fair in vanessy, were sosie sesthers wroth with twone nathandjoe. Rot a peck of pa's malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by arclight and rory end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface.

The fall (bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonner-ronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenth ur-nuk!) of a once wallstrait oldparr is retaled early in bed and later on life down through all christian minstrelsy. The great fall of the offwall entailed at such short notice the pftjschute of Finnegan, erse solid man, that the humptyhillhead of humself prumptly sends an unquiring one well to the west in quest of his tumptytumtoes: and their upturnpikepointandplace is at the knock out in the park where oranges have been laid to rust upon the green since dev-linsfirst loved livvy.

Quote:
I mean, jeez...the guy might do 10 rushes for 147 yards. He might do 20 rushes for 294 yards. Maybe some other combination. Maybe he gets hurt early and doesn't do as much, but knowing Barry Sanders, he'll probably get a significant number of carries.

So based on Barry's 5 or 6 yards/carry season averages, I would think going into games, "man, I can't wait. Barry might do 5 or 6 yards/carry today while tearing it up." You know, tearing it up...not 2 rushes for 11 yards, but something more like 25 rushes for 145 yards. Sounds like an exciting stat line to me. But I've got to be careful not to mention that that averages out to 5.8 yards/carry, because if I get excited about the average in that stat line that I'm imagining, that would be ridiculous. Who cares if it's 5.8 or 2.8? Macro-statistics only, plzzzz.

No, it had nothing to do with the arguments and you know it. It had to do with the fact that you are on the opposite side with your idiotic beliefs. Go back to 2008, and there you are, slurping up the Ed Werder article on Terrell Owens, wondering how fans could think he won't single-handedly annihilate the team with his ESPN-certified team-destroying ways, confirmed by an anonymous source who speaks regularly with an anonymous relative of an anonymous janitor in a Cowboys bar. Then along I come, and suddenly my "writing" is terribadz...says the moron who won't even use the "Shift" key to begin sentences. Says the moron who can't understand why I'd make a parenthetical reference rhetorically asking, "who is the selfish one and who is the team cancer again?" in the section about "sideline blowups" with Jerry Rice and others.

Rather than actually address the arguments themselves, you again focused on semantics. Same thing here. The subtext of all of this is you think Barry Sanders is either the greatest or one of the greatest running backs ever, just as it is that you buy into the ridiculous, idiotic notion that Terrell Owens is a "team cancer" who "destroys teams." The latter is basically a credibility-ender, yet you persist in the pseudo-intellectual babble featuring a rehash of some philosophy courses you took and bombed in years ago featuring both keyboard and logical failures. What an utterly worthless human.
What then agentlike brought about that tragoady thundersday
this municipal sin business? Our cubehouse still rocks as earwitness
to the thunder of his arafatas but we hear also through successive
ages that shebby choruysh of unkalified muzzlenimiissilehims that
would blackguardise the whitestone ever hurtleturtled out of
heaven. Stay us wherefore in our search for tighteousness, O Sus-
tainer, what time we rise and when we take up to toothmick and
before we lump down upown our leatherbed and in the night and
at the fading of the stars! For a nod to the nabir is better than wink
to the wabsanti. Otherways wesways like that provost scoffing
bedoueen the jebel and the jpysian sea. Cropherb the crunch-
bracken shall decide. Then we'll know if the feast is a flyday.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:41 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

But, seriously, how ******* good are these bad boys:

Especially if you freeze them first... Mother of god...
Old 09-24-2013, 09:42 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

Quote:
honestly? personal entertainment. i wouldn't have kept diverting alex's thread for so long, but it seemed to have deviated from his original post long before i said anything. if anyone goes back to it, i'll happily let jordan have the last word.
Don't worry about it, I'm loving it.

Quote:
Old 09-25-2013, 12:07 AM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
no one, in the history of time, has ever thought that about any running back ever. no one thinks that about AD. no one thought that about dickerson. no one thought that about payton. you know why? because being excited to watch a player to see his YPC stat would be utterly idiotic. it would be a pure and perfect demonstration of a complete inability to see the forest for one really ugly tree. it would, in all honesty, be the kind of thing that someone only pretending, at a very base level, to be a football fan would think.

or, it was a good troll taken one step too far.
lmao i thought the same exact thing when i read that....I cant wait to watch AP today, I bet he is gonna get 6 yards per carry!!!
Eazy Picks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:14 AM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy Picks View Post
lmao i thought the same exact thing when i read that....I cant wait to watch AP today, I bet he is gonna get 6 yards per carry!!!
Yeah, maybe because you idiots are obsessed with 80 yard breakaway runs, then you look at the yards/carry averages later and go, "omgz, he's averaging 6 yards/carry, he's the best back EVER."
Old 09-25-2013, 01:46 AM    (permalink
TitansCJftw
Veteran

TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hahah everytime i visit the pro football forum now my head wants to explode

Quote:
I hope you develop an inoperable tumor at the base of your spine and your mother is kidnapped by a group of of outlaws and broadcast themselves raping her while you're choking on your own vomit in a hospital bed.
thanks for the rep bro
Old 09-25-2013, 01:50 AM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitansCJftw View Post
hahah everytime i visit the pro football forum now my head wants to explode

thanks for the rep bro
He so classy
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:13 AM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Of course, loser here won't show that he started it.

Quote:
TitansCJftw
nothing to do with post just want you to die and burn in hell