Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 12:35 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 721
Reputation: -58773
JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I'm sure this video will be posted as a response.



Although I haven't seen Rice ever blow up like Terrell Owens did against the Cleveland Browns in 2003. That was ridiculous. It was literally a grown man acting like a baby.
You didn't even see the alleged "blow up" against the Browns because it wasn't on camera. I have that game on DVD and they never showed it.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:02 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dodge City
Posts: 7,494
Reputation: 1199061
FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

T.O. Jerry Rice. Randy Moss.
If you think these players are similar in any way concerning their sideline demeanor and the way they expressed displeasure with a playcall or the performance of their QB, you're on crack.

Which one of these guys was widely viewed as a team cancer? Which one was a team leader??

I don't have to know the details of what Dez Bryant said on the sideline. I see his body language and the way Jason Witten, Romo and Demarcus Ware reacted to him. Whatever he said or was doing was not productive, at all.

It's pointless to even argue with someone who thinks Rice bitched more on the sideline in a destructive way to overall team chemistry than Terrell Owens or Randy Moss.

What's the biggest knock on Moss and Owens? Their attitude on the sidelines and in the lockerroom.

These guys caused fissures in the lockerroom because they couldn't control their emotions. Rice made his case if he had an issue about a play and left it alone. Far cry from throwing tantrums.
We already know how you feel about Rice, some of the worst hands in the history of the league, overrated production, etc.
You're not exactly objective on the subject.

As for Jeff George, he 'wasn't very good' because he lacked commitment to the game, didn't elevate the play of teammates and had probably the worst body language on the sideline of any QB in recent memory. He looked and acted routinely like he didn't give a fcuk.

George would regularly go sit by himself when the offense came off the field.
He wasn't a rally the troops kind of guy.
George bounced around the league because of his physical talent, but after a few seasons most teams couldn't wait to get rid of him because they couldn't stand his attitude.

It had nothing to do with his talent.
Teams downgraded at QB by letting George go rather than bring him back.

Leadership and intangibles are real, despite what you think JT.

Ask yourself, why did the Falcons let George go after the two seasons he had there??
Why did the Raiders tell him to hit the pavement??
Minnesota??

SKins fans know what a waste of a roster spot George was in D.C., this jerk would call different entirely plays in the huddle, not merely audible, if he felt that's what he wanted to do.

There's a reason why this turd couldn't find another NFL gig at the age of 34 when he still was a viable NFL QB from a physical talent standpoint.
__________________
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:06 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 29,187
Reputation: 4076734
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Jerry Rice was a gigantic douchebag on the sidelines bro, what are you talking about?

TO got the publicity, and to a lesser extent so did Moss. But Rice was a huge asshole as well.
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:11 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dodge City
Posts: 7,494
Reputation: 1199061
FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Jerry Rice was a gigantic douchebag on the sidelines bro, what are you talking about?

TO got the publicity, and to a lesser extent so did Moss. But Rice was a huge asshole as well.
We'll agree to disagree.

I never saw the attitude and hostility on the sidelines I saw from T.O. and Moss when Jerry Rice played.
__________________
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:16 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 29,187
Reputation: 4076734
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
We'll agree to disagree.

I never saw the attitude and hostility on the sidelines I saw from T.O. and Moss when Jerry Rice played.
Look into it. I'll start you off with the Raiders/Bucs SB. He was throwing hissy fits on the sidelines, if you can get a hold of the SB dvd or something you'll see it.
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:20 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,239
Reputation: 3479571
The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Look into it. I'll start you off with the Raiders/Bucs SB. He was throwing hissy fits on the sidelines, if you can get a hold of the SB dvd or something you'll see it.
To be fair, I would be screaming at Callahan the entire game too.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:45 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 19,941
Reputation: 2134825
Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
You didn't even see the alleged "blow up" against the Browns because it wasn't on camera. I have that game on DVD and they never showed it.
Actually I have it and heard it. It was on camera. Owens was wired for sound by NFL Films that week. Its aired on various segments by NFL Films. I have at least one of them which is an NFL Top 10 episode. Its not on the original game broadcast. So you're wrong about that.

EDIT: Here is a gif of some of the footage.



Owens says "******-*bleep*bleep*bleep* I'm sick a running these damn routes for nutin!!!!"

And it seems like they always had someone (one of the coaching staff) assigned to Owens to try and calm him down like a babysitter. Kind of funny actually.
__________________

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 10-30-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 19,941
Reputation: 2134825
Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Look into it. I'll start you off with the Raiders/Bucs SB. He was throwing hissy fits on the sidelines, if you can get a hold of the SB dvd or something you'll see it.
He's telling one of the coaching staff "Tell hlim to get me the ball!" That's one clip I know of. A lot of megastar receivers have done this though. I remember Reggie Wayne years ago gave Manning a little push into his shoulder because he was getting impatient. Randy Moss and Larry Fitzgerald exited a game early before regulation was over. Simply walked off the field into the locker room.
__________________

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:04 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 721
Reputation: -58773
JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Actually I have it and heard it. It was on camera. Owens was wired for sound by NFL Films that week. Its aired on various segments by NFL Films. I have at least one of them which is an NFL Top 10 episode. Its not on the original game broadcast. So you're wrong about that.

EDIT: Here is a gif of some of the footage.



Owens says "******-*bleep*bleep*bleep* I'm sick a running these damn routes for nutin!!!!"

And it seems like they always had someone (one of the coaching staff) assigned to Owens to try and calm him down like a babysitter. Kind of funny actually.
I've seen that clip too. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. "I'm sick of running these damn routes for nothin?" If you think that's unacceptable behavior on the sidelines of a football game, you'd be horrified to observe the sidelines of a full game for a losing team.

That's absolutely nothing.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,191
Reputation: 2484712
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf (Rosebud) View Post
Laugh now, come season's end you'll crying. In which case call me up so we can hug it out and I can taste your delicious tears!
I'm down for a bet. $100 a decent amount? Paypal ok?

Let's bet on which team finishes the season with a better record.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,191
Reputation: 2484712
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
To be fair, I would be screaming at Callahan the entire game too.
Dez has 6 4th quarter targets in 8 games this year. Pathetic.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 19,941
Reputation: 2134825
Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
I've seen that clip too. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. "I'm sick of running these damn routes for nothin?" If you think that's unacceptable behavior on the sidelines of a football game, you'd be horrified to observe the sidelines of a full game for a losing team.

That's absolutely nothing.
Okay. Talk about passing off an altercation nonchalantly. If that's nothing than that makes what you posted of Jerry Rice "absolutely nothing".

And it wasn't just what Owens said. It was his body language and his attitude in regards to how he said it. You know, in context.

Doesn't matter. It's there. And it's only one clip of the entire segment. You were wrong about where you thought I saw the footage, which wasn't the CBS broadcast like you assumed. And this doesn't have to do with anyone else. I never said other players don't have unacceptable behavior. Or even implied that. But I was talking about Owens. Not anyone else other than Rice and him. And I said I hadn't seen Rice act like that on camera. Frustrated? Sure. But for a moment I thought Owens was about to get on the floor like a child.
__________________

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 10-30-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:29 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 721
Reputation: -58773
JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
T.O. Jerry Rice. Randy Moss.
If you think these players are similar in any way concerning their sideline demeanor and the way they expressed displeasure with a playcall or the performance of their QB, you're on crack.

Which one of these guys was widely viewed as a team cancer? Which one was a team leader??
Widely viewed by whom? Certainly not Owens's teammates. The only people who view him as a team cancer are idiots in the media and clueless fans.

As far as being a "team leader" is concerned, Owens was voted a team captain in 2008 by his Cowboys teammates. But the media doesn't want you to know that.


Quote:
I don't have to know the details of what Dez Bryant said on the sideline. I see his body language and the way Jason Witten, Romo and Demarcus Ware reacted to him. Whatever he said or was doing was not productive, at all.
So you're a mind-reader now? A "body language" reader? Give me a break.

Quote:
It's pointless to even argue with someone who thinks Rice bitched more on the sideline in a destructive way to overall team chemistry than Terrell Owens or Randy Moss.
I have the facts on my side. Address those. It's not exactly a secret that Rice threw tons of tantrums on the sidelines and regularly complained about not getting the ball. Bill Walsh was even asked about Rice's reputation as a "whiner" when he was doing color during the 49ers' 1991 game against the Chiefs (video used to be on Youtube, but unfortunately I'm pretty sure it was taken down). Walsh made excuses for him, being the players coach he is, but he acknowledged it.

Quote:
What's the biggest knock on Moss and Owens? Their attitude on the sidelines and in the lockerroom.
Biggest knock from media members, yes. Both of them were liked by most of their teammates. Moss kind of lost interest in the game towards the end, though.

Quote:
These guys caused fissures in the lockerroom because they couldn't control their emotions.
Said by only those who weren't their teammates. Their teammates say just the opposite.

Quote:
Rice made his case if he had an issue about a play and left it alone. Far cry from throwing tantrums.
Pushing over a concession stand and shouting, "I ain't no ************* decoy!" isn't throwing a tantrum? "Tell him to throw a ***** spiral, a ***** spiral!" isn't a tantrum?

How about in 2004 with the Raiders when he kicked over a pylon after the game (which the Raiders won, BTW) because his "consecutive games with at least one catch" streak came to an end? Not a tantrum?

That's the other thing to note about all the crap the media gave Owens (and now Dez) over blowing up on the sidelines. Rice usually did this when the team was winning and he wasn't getting the ball. Because he was a selfish ass. I'd have no problem with him on my team because his selfishness is no steam off my piss so long as he helps the team win the game on the field, but Jerry had an agenda and it was Jerry.

Quote:
We already know how you feel about Rice, some of the worst hands in the history of the league, overrated production, etc.
You're not exactly objective on the subject.
I don't know if he had some of the worst hands in the history of the league, but he was a drops machine. What I take issue with is people saying he had "great hands," or getting on other receivers for any and every drop. Rice was one of the greatest receivers and players of all-time, but his hands were nothing special and he didn't "draw tonssss of double and triple teamzzzz" like clueless folks allege. He also did not "have lots of success versus Deion," in large part because Deion rarely lined up on Rice (Sanders generally stayed at RCB in his Atlanta days and lined up the vast majority of the time on John Taylor, as the 49ers would purposely line Rice up on Charles Dimry or washed up Tim McKyer to create the mistmatch).

Quote:
As for Jeff George, he 'wasn't very good' because he lacked commitment to the game, didn't elevate the play of teammates and had probably the worst body language on the sideline of any QB in recent memory. He looked and acted routinely like he didn't give a fcuk.
Yeah, George's body language was the problem. Not his decision-making or lack of accuracy on the field.

Quote:
George would regularly go sit by himself when the offense came off the field.
He wasn't a rally the troops kind of guy.
George bounced around the league because of his physical talent, but after a few seasons most teams couldn't wait to get rid of him because they couldn't stand his attitude.
Jim Kelly had a big 'tude himself. But he had success because he was a much better quarterback.

Quote:
It had nothing to do with his talent.
Sure it did. There's more to being a quarterback than having a strong arm.

Quote:
Teams downgraded at QB by letting George go rather than bring him back.
Who did? Jim Harbaugh was a better QB than Jeff George. So was Bobby Hebert.

Quote:
Leadership and intangibles are real, despite what you think JT.
"God is real despite what you think JT." Same argument, different pile.

Quote:
Ask yourself, why did the Falcons let George go after the two seasons he had there??
Why did the Raiders tell him to hit the pavement??
Minnesota??
Because he wasn't that good.

Quote:
SKins fans know what a waste of a roster spot George was in D.C., this jerk would call different entirely plays in the huddle, not merely audible, if he felt that's what he wanted to do.
Brett Favre did the same. If he were good at calling audibles/changing plays, nobody would complain.

Quote:
There's a reason why this turd couldn't find another NFL gig at the age of 34 when he still was a viable NFL QB from a physical talent standpoint.
Because he wasn't that good. He had chances to make teams after that and didn't.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:34 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,239
Reputation: 3479571
The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Dez has 6 4th quarter targets in 8 games this year. Pathetic.
I'm talking about Rice in the Super Bowl, not Dez this past week. The playcalling, scheming and coaching by Callahan in that game was probably the worst ever by a head coach in the history of the Super Bowl.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:41 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 721
Reputation: -58773
JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Okay. Talk about passing off an altercation nonchalantly. If that's nothing than that makes what you posted of Jerry Rice "absolutely nothing".

And it wasn't just what Owens said. It was his body language and his attitude in regards to how he said it. You know, in context.

Doesn't matter. It's there. And it's only one clip of the entire segment. You were wrong about where you thought I saw the footage, which wasn't the CBS broadcast like you assumed. And this doesn't have to do with anyone else. I never said other players don't have unacceptable behavior. Or even implied that. But I was talking about Owens. Not anyone else. And I said I hadn't seen anyone react like that on camera. Frustrated? Sure. But for a moment I thought Owens was about to get on the floor like a child.
I'd seen that clip before, but never anything that matched your description.

Your description of it was ridiculous, making me think you were talking about it based on reading the newspaper references to Owens "throwing a tantrum on the sidelines" during that game. You think that is an outburst more ridiculous than any Rice has ever had and made him look like a baby? Really? At no point does it look like he's "about to get on the floor like a child." Maybe in your imagination where Owens is Mean 'Ole Tantrum Owens, since you grew up hearing this crap from analysts, sports writers, and other posters on 49ers.com rather than questioning whether what you were hearing was sensationalized nonsense.

If that were Tai Streets in his place you wouldn't think twice about it.

"I'm sick of running these Goddamn routes for nothin!" when you're in the 3rd quarter and have scored just 6 points against a lousy Browns team at home is quite a bit more understandable than, "TELL HIM TO THROW A ***** SPIRAL! A ***** SPIRAL!" when your teammate just scored a TD to go up 10-3 in the first quarter because you're embarrassed about dropping Jeff Garcia's little wobbler that would've been 6 for you.

That's context. Not ridiculous analyses of "body language" (aka mind-reading). Situational context. One player has a good reason to be pissed off because of the team's offensive performance resulting in large part from him not getting the ball. The other is just being a selfish ass because he wasn't the one to score the touchdown and looked bad on TV.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:16 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lover by trade, Villain by necessity
Posts: 1,893
Reputation: 1086618
cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I'm down for a bet. $100 a decent amount? Paypal ok?

Let's bet on which team finishes the season with a better record.
I ain't touching that with a ten foot pole, but when it happens, the glory will be delicious.
__________________
Talkin bought Brodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:45 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 19,941
Reputation: 2134825
Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
I'd seen that clip before, but never anything that matched your description.

Your description of it was ridiculous, making me think you were talking about it based on reading the newspaper references to Owens "throwing a tantrum on the sidelines" during that game. You think that is an outburst more ridiculous than any Rice has ever had and made him look like a baby? Really? At no point does it look like he's "about to get on the floor like a child." Maybe in your imagination where Owens is Mean 'Ole Tantrum Owens, since you grew up hearing this crap from analysts, sports writers, and other posters on 49ers.com rather than questioning whether what you were hearing was sensationalized nonsense.

If that were Tai Streets in his place you wouldn't think twice about it.

"I'm sick of running these Goddamn routes for nothin!" when you're in the 3rd quarter and have scored just 6 points against a lousy Browns team at home is quite a bit more understandable than, "TELL HIM TO THROW A ***** SPIRAL! A ***** SPIRAL!" when your teammate just scored a TD to go up 10-3 in the first quarter because you're embarrassed about dropping Jeff Garcia's little wobbler that would've been 6 for you.

That's context. Not ridiculous analyses of "body language" (aka mind-reading). Situational context. One player has a good reason to be pissed off because of the team's offensive performance resulting in large part from him not getting the ball. The other is just being a selfish ass because he wasn't the one to score the touchdown and looked bad on TV.
Okay. You're still wrong in your initial assumption regarding the broadcast. And I never cared if you saw the clip or not. I was talking about where I saw the footage. Not you. Why would I care about where you saw it? Anyways, it wasn't the CBS broadcast. It was an NFL Films segment. I don't know why you assumed you knew what I saw with my own eyes in regards to it absolutely being the original game broadcast.

Like I said, if you think that was nothing, but what Rice did in the clip posted was, then I'd say your bias has reached an all time high in regards to Owens. And like I already mentioned, that was only one clip of the entire session Owens was mic'd for sound. And body language has nothing to do with telepathy. That doesn't make sense. And in regards to "more ridiculous than what Rice has ever done" that isn't what I said. I implied that it was more ridiculous than what I've seen from Rice on camera. There is an obvious difference. Owens blew up on the sideline. And it wasn't the first time. Don't excuse it or downplay it. He has gotten frustrated like other receivers as well, and no one was saying that Rice never got frustrated. At least I wasn't. I did say that I hadn't seen Rice on camera act the way Owens has to that degree in the mic'd up session.

In any case, it seems we've reached that point in the conversation where you've decided to start taking issue with the poster instead of the actual post. Like you did with FUNBUNCHER. So I'll just say the rest of my piece here and bounce. I completely disagree about your assessment regarding the Owens/Rice comparison. From what I've seen (and I have a ton of full broadcast games of Rice and Owens with the 49ers) Owens was more demonstrative with his antics when he was frustrated and things weren't going his.

And you obviously disagree with that notion, but that's fine. You're allowed to be wrong.
__________________

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,191
Reputation: 2484712
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf (Rosebud) View Post
I ain't touching that with a ten foot pole, but when it happens, the glory will be delicious.
All mouth.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:52 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,191
Reputation: 2484712
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
I'm talking about Rice in the Super Bowl, not Dez this past week. The playcalling, scheming and coaching by Callahan in that game was probably the worst ever by a head coach in the history of the Super Bowl.
Oh gotcha. I guess as a play caller nothing has changed.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:08 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lover by trade, Villain by necessity
Posts: 1,893
Reputation: 1086618
cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
All mouth.
I don't bet money on teams I have an emotional investment in.
__________________
Talkin bought Brodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.

Last edited by cgf (Rosebud) : 10-30-2013 at 06:35 PM.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:59 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 721
Reputation: -58773
JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Okay. You're still wrong in your initial assumption regarding the broadcast. And I never cared if you saw the clip or not. I was talking about where I saw the footage. Not you. Why would I care about where you saw it? Anyways, it wasn't the CBS broadcast. It was an NFL Films segment. I don't know why you assumed you knew what I saw with my own eyes in regards to it absolutely being the original game broadcast.
My assumption was based off the fact that I'd seen that clip before and what I saw was so minor there was no way it could match with your description of it being worse than anything you'd seen from Rice. The clip of Owens from the Vikings game in the same video was far more physically demonstrative than the clip from the Browns game.


Quote:
Like I said, if you think that was nothing, but what Rice did in the clip posted was, then I'd say your bias has reached an all time high in regards to Owens.
I don't take issue with either of them, other than recognizing Rice's agenda in his tantrum at that particular time. His was clearly the worse of the two, even though neither is particularly noteworthy in the sense that it's ultimately just frustration during a freak'n football game.

Quote:
And like I already mentioned, that was only one clip of the entire session Owens was mic'd for sound. And body language has nothing to do with telepathy. That doesn't make sense.
Claiming to read someone's body language is no different than claiming to read someone's mind. It's pure ******** where you're talking out of your ass. Unless you're talking about a player giving someone the finger or using sign language, it's basically psychobabble.

Basically, your argument amounts to, "Owens looks more angry as he's yelling. He looks like a big, scary black man. This makes it worse!"

Admit it...that's going through the back of your mind. Owens and Dez were more physically expressive with their head movements so therefore you think they were worse. As if that has anything to do with the content of what they were saying.

Quote:
And in regards to "more ridiculous than what Rice has ever done" that isn't what I said. I implied that it was more ridiculous than what I've seen from Rice on camera. There is an obvious difference.
You saw in that very video Rice acting more ridiculous than Owens against the Browns. Rice was shouting, "tell him to throw a ***** spiral! A ***** spiral!" after he'd dropped a ball at the goal line, and after Charlie Garner had just scored a TD to put the 49ers up 10-3. Owens shouted, "ahhhhhh, I'm sick of runnin these Goddamn routes for nothing!" on the sidelines after another punt in the 3rd quarter while the 49ers had managed just 6 points against the lame Browns in San Francisco. Then you mentioned some nonsense about how it "looked like he was gonna go to the ground like a baby," and then, "it looked like they had someone assigned to Owens to try to calm him down." Meanwhile, in the clip of Rice, Owens is following him around and trying to calm him down. I guess he was Rice's "babysitter?" Oh wait, that doesn't serve your agenda.


Quote:
Owens blew up on the sideline. And it wasn't the first time.
Actually, that was the first time they ever caught him on camera blowing up on the sidelines (that game against the Browns).



Quote:
Don't excuse it or downplay it.
Excuse what? There's nothing to excuse. He didn't do anything wrong. He had an emotional outburst during a football game, which happens on sidelines across the league all the time. It's as much a part of the game as rah rah speeches. Sometimes they get caught on camera, but usually they don't. If they catch one of their "villains" on camera doing it, that's when they pounce and act like it's newsworthy.

Quote:
He has gotten frustrated like other receivers as well, and no one was saying that Rice never got frustrated. At least I wasn't. I did say that I hadn't seen Rice on camera act the way Owens has to that degree in the mic'd up session.
But you did, you just won't acknowledge it because of your bias.

Quote:
In any case, it seems we've reached that point in the conversation where you've decided to start taking issue with the poster instead of the actual post. Like you did with FUNBUNCHER. So I'll just say the rest of my piece here and bounce. I completely disagree about your assessment regarding the Owens/Rice comparison. From what I've seen (and I have a ton of full broadcast games of Rice and Owens with the 49ers) Owens was more demonstrative with his antics when he was frustrated and things weren't going his.
This is another key point to address. Rice didn't have cameras following him around on the sidelines at all times. Owens from 2000 onward did. Rice wasn't one of their villains because he didn't do the star celebrations. He also played most of his career in the pre-Disneyfied ESPN days and the pre-internet days. There are loads of local print articles addressing all the complaining and disrupting Rice did, but you'd have to look through Google news archives and do your own research to find them.

What you see on broadcasts during the Rice days is generic, balanced footage. What you see during the 2000+ Owens days is camera work focused on Owens's reaction after every single drive.

"And the 49ers will have to punt. (Owens undoes chin strap and walks over to sideline). And Terrell Owens is frustrated."

Quote:
And you obviously disagree with that notion, but that's fine. You're allowed to be wrong.
"Let me just pull the ultimate dick move and make one last, long post making my argument, and then drop it before my opponent has a chance to respond. Oh, and I'll end by saying he's wrong, too, even though my argument has absolutely no substance whatsoever."
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:46 PM    (permalink
7DnBrnc53
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 206
Reputation: 3683
7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.
Default

Quote:
This is another key point to address. Rice didn't have cameras following him around on the sidelines at all times. Owens from 2000 onward did. Rice wasn't one of their villains because he didn't do the star celebrations. He also played most of his career in the pre-Disneyfied ESPN days and the pre-internet days. There are loads of local print articles addressing all the complaining and disrupting Rice did, but you'd have to look through Google news archives and do your own research to find them.
Not only that, Rice was a media darling. Pat Haden used to kiss his butt on TNT when they had the Sunday Night games in the 90's. He would say that he's the best NFL player ever, but provide no facts to back it up, because he isn't. Jim Brown is.

And, the media would always praise him for being an extremely hard worker, when there were probably lots of other players that worked just as hard, but were ignored because they weren't on the media darling 49ers.
7DnBrnc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:56 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dodge City
Posts: 7,494
Reputation: 1199061
FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I guess Andy Reid suspended T.O. from Eagles training camp and sent him home because of 'unfair media coverage', and it had nothing at all to do with Owens' own conduct that was detrimental to the team.

T.O. has imploded every team he's ever played for in the NFL.
It kills me to hear someone argue that T.O. was a victim of unfair media coverage that Rice didn't have to deal with in SF or OAK.
__________________
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:45 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seahawks Diaspora
Posts: 4,927
Reputation: 1586928
Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default



This seems like the right thread to say I miss these guys.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:39 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 19,941
Reputation: 2134825
Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
I guess Andy Reid suspended T.O. from Eagles training camp and sent him home because of 'unfair media coverage', and it had nothing at all to do with Owens' own conduct that was detrimental to the team.

T.O. has imploded every team he's ever played for in the NFL.
It kills me to hear someone argue that T.O. was a victim of unfair media coverage that Rice didn't have to deal with in SF or OAK.
The majority of people on this planet can see that Owens wasn't a victim of circumstance and that is own actions led to his bouncing around ball clubs.

So it's really not that big of a deal.
__________________

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 10-31-2013 at 02:45 AM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.