Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:06 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Reporter to T.O. - 'Do you think Jeff Garcia is Rudy Cool?'
T.O. - 'Well if it looks like a duck and talks like a duck, must be a duck.'

Yeah, I want this dude on my team for more than 2-3 seasons.

Sorry but I can't buy the tin foil hat media conspiracy against Owens. The NFL is filled with a-holes who don't switch teams like Owens did.

T.O. is a victim??lol

That's what his mother said.
Stay with me here.

1. They. Weren't. Teammates. Anymore. At. That. Time.

2. Said "reporter" was a Playboy interviewer.

3. Owens clarified in a press conference the next day that he didn't know whether Garcia was *** or not.

4. The Garcia/Owens conflict did not start over this. The Playboy interview took place in the summer of 2004, when they were no longer teammates. The conflict started in 2003 and was directly caused by the media.

After the 35-7 loss to the Vikings, in which Tim Rattay came in for mop up duty, a reporter asked Owens if the 49ers should consider making a change at quarterback. Owens gave what for anybody else would have been a perfectly politically correct answer, but the media did to him exactly what they did to him throughout his career.

Owens's actual response: "That's not my position to say we need a quarterback change, but Rat did a good job when he got in the game. Whoever is at quarterback, I'm going to catch the ball. Even if it's Dorsey at quarterback, I'm going to catch the ball."

The reporters turned this completely innocuous reply into controversial headlines along the lines of, "Owens Calls for Change At Quarterback," and, "Owens Hints Team Should Make Quarterback Change."

Now, what do you suppose happened next? If you said, "they went to Jeff Garcia and told him Owens said it was time to make a change at quarterback," you'd be correct.

Garcia, upset and angered over hearing this, replied that "we need to stop this sickness from spreading." The next practice, Owens showed up wearing a surgeon's mask.

That was it. The media created a fight out of nothing all because of their desire to vilify their target. This kind of stuff happens to people all the time, but it's usually not as constant and as blatant as it was with Owens.

And alas, we have the ultimate knee-slapper...someone accusing me of being the conspiracy theorist. Sir, I think the real conspiracy theory here is insisting that one man can destroy an entire football team, and despite the fact that just about every teammate who has ever been asked about him says that the media portrayal of him is complete BS, we're expected to believe that all of them are just lying and taking the high road, and the ones we need to trust are sports writers, talking heads, and everyone else who was not in the locker room with him. The teammates with nothing to gain by saying he was a great teammate are lying, but the media who makes money off controversy is what we should put our trust in.

And what a coincidence that in a league of thousands of players, the only insufferable a-hole also happens to be statistically the second greatest wide receiver in NFL history. And what a coincidence that it's the guy who generated national outrage by celebrating touchdowns in the middle of Texas Stadium 13 years ago. What a surprise that there aren't any Johnny Solidstarters and Jimmy Backups who are insufferable a-holes that we hear about all the time in the media. What a coincidence that the only selfish, narcissistic jerk in the league is also a guy with zero criminal history. What gives here?

And what a coincidence that all of a sudden he's the biggest, most insufferable a-hole in the game after the star celebrations. Not in 1996-1999, before said celebrations. No, he was just the opposite then.

You're burying your head in the sand and plugging your ears like a 2-year-old if you refuse to see that what I'm saying is the truth.

Last edited by JordanTaber : 11-01-2013 at 07:13 PM.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:21 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
And then Garcia marries a hot super model and makes Owens look like a dumbass. Now Owens is broke and dealing with child support problems with like three baby mamas. Bet he wishes HE was the one that was *** now.
I love that you said this, because it gives me another little teaching tool.

I challenge anyone here to find me a single quote from Terrell Owens saying he's broke. Not an editorialized claim from a writer, not a headline from a writer - an actual direct statement from Terrell Owens saying he's broke.

Once you realize that you can not come up with one because it doesn't exist, I want you to ponder the significance of this.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:43 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
It really, really doesn't. I posted what I posted originally because someone said Terrell Owens "looks like a dumbass" or something after Garcia married a playmate, and I was basically just trying to say, "Hey, maybe Garcia just wanted to make Owens look like a dumbass." We all know most people don't think of marriage as sacred anymore; it's basically just another contract in many ways. But the conversation was veering way out of football territory, so I deleted it, but found I'd already been quoted, so... there ya go.
Garcia was so compelled to make Owens look foolish that he married and had four kids to hide his gayness? I dunno, that might just be a little bit of a stretch.Just a little.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:59 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post

I challenge anyone here to find me a single quote from Terrell Owens saying he's broke. Not an editorialized claim from a writer, not a headline from a writer - an actual direct statement from Terrell Owens saying he's broke.

Once you realize that you can not come up with one because it doesn't exist, I want you to ponder the significance of this.
Really??lol

Google "Terrell Owens" and "bankrupt", brew a cup of coffee a read the 40K links.

T.O. may not be homeless, but he only has a fraction of the $80 mil he earned playing in the NFL.

Unless you believe EVERYONE in the media is out to smear T.O's good name.

A man doesn't have to admit to killing someone to still be guilty of murder.

T.O. can say whatever he wants; his tax records, child support obligations and the sale of multiple homes tells the true story regardless.

Terrell told Dr. Phil he'd pissed away most of his $80 mil fortune. Add to that he has 4 baby-mommas, and I don't think it's a stretch to say T.O. is broke or damn close to it.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:01 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post

Why do you need a quote when there are court documents? TO is having financial issues for a guy who made as much money as he did. Unless you can provide those documents and they say he is doing great, then he is broke.

To say the entire media is out to get his is ludicrous. Sure some writers are and sometimes it because a bad TO healing will get people to look, but acting like the media is one solid group all trying to get TO is crazy.

There will be plenty of teammates that say TO is a wonderful guy to be around and the ideal teammate and then you will have the other half that says he is terrible. TO caused many dividing lines on teams and that's how he killed teams. Love him or hate him doesn't work in a team environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:11 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i want you to find a single statement by me suggesting that i can't create rocks that provide 100% protection against tigers. when you can't find one, you'll be forced to admit that i can create tiger proof rocks. then i want you to ponder the significance of being unable to find random statements i've made and why that would possibly have any impact on whether or not those statements are true.
I don't get it. I asked them to prove the claim that he said he was broke. They can't prove that claim because no proof exists.

There is no evidence whatsoever he's broke. He never said he's broke, nobody has his bank account records...hence the claim is unfounded.

Try to follow along here. For once.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:18 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
Why do you need a quote when there are court documents? TO is having financial issues for a guy who made as much money as he did. Unless you can provide those documents and they say he is doing great, then he is broke.
Where are these alleged "court documents?"

"Financial issues" are not the same thing as "broke."

I don't need to prove a negative. That's a fallacy.

Quote:
To say the entire media is out to get his is ludicrous. Sure some writers are and sometimes it because a bad TO healing will get people to look, but acting like the media is one solid group all trying to get TO is crazy.
The entire media isn't out to get him. Just a great number of people in the media. Such a large number and so many people in positions of power that they have created a complete facade.

Quote:
There will be plenty of teammates that say TO is a wonderful guy to be around and the ideal teammate and then you will have the other half that says he is terrible. TO caused many dividing lines on teams and that's how he killed teams. Love him or hate him doesn't work in a team environment.
What half? You could count on one hand the number of players who have said anything bad about him, and not one of those guys ever accused him of being a team cancer, of being selfish, of ruining chemistry, etc.

Last edited by JordanTaber : 11-01-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:25 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Really??lol

Google "Terrell Owens" and "bankrupt", brew a cup of coffee a read the 40K links.
Not a single article saying Owens is bankrupt exists. Owens has never filed for bankruptcy. You need to google it.

Quote:
T.O. may not be homeless, but he only has a fraction of the $80 mil he earned playing in the NFL.
And yet another teaching tool. Find me a single quote of Owens saying he earned $80 million playing in the NFL. Find me a single article or balance sheet showing Owens earned $80 million in the NFL.

When you realize that it doesn't exist, ponder that for a moment.

Quote:
Unless you believe EVERYONE in the media is out to smear T.O's good name.
Not everyone, just an enormous number of people in the media. Stephen A. Smith isn't out to get Terrell Owens. Nor is Zennie Abraham. They're the exception.

Quote:
A man doesn't have to admit to killing someone to still be guilty of murder.
And a man isn't guilty of murder because someone just makes it up out of thin air.

Quote:
T.O. can say whatever he wants; his tax records, child support obligations and the sale of multiple homes tells the true story regardless.
Actually, they tell the exact opposite, because he paid off all his taxes rather recently. He also paid off the child support he owed. You can't do that if you're broke. Broke means you have no money.

Quote:
Terrell told Dr. Phil he'd pissed away most of his $80 mil fortune. Add to that he has 4 baby-mommas, and I don't think it's a stretch to say T.O. is broke or damn close to it.
No, he did not. Owens has never said he made $80 million. Ever.

It's a huge stretch. To go from him saying he was having "financial issues" to insisting he is "broke" is a complete manipulation of the facts.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reading JT's posts drops my IQ by about 5 points every time

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:52 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderz4Life View Post
Reading JT's posts drops my IQ by about 5 points every time
Easier to insult me that an actually try to address my irrefutable arguments.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:08 PM    (permalink
niel89
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Remember when TO tried to kill himself? Spin that one.

Quote:

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
Old 11-01-2013, 10:30 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Remember when TO tried to kill himself? Spin that one.
When? You mean when he overdosed on the same medication Bill Parcells had noted in a press conference prior to it happening that had made him sick before?

The medication the media falsely claimed he was trying to kill himself with had been prescribed to him just days prior for a broken finger he'd suffered in a game against the Redskins. Anyone who knows anything about suicide knows that people don't just suddenly try to kill themselves - they plan it out well in advance.

Now, even if he did try to kill himself, it's none of our business anyway. It has nothing to with what kind of teammate he was. It just means he suffers from depression. Remember when Junior Seau and Dave Duerson tried to kill themselves, and did? Were they bad teammates? Remember when Deion Sanders drove his car off a cliff and survived? Wait, we never heard about that one until years after the fact.

We never would have heard about Owens's overdose either if it hadn't been for the media parking outside his home. They reported this story in the middle of the night, somehow managed to get access to preliminary police reports, and within hours Owens was released (because these hospital staff members, who are apparently less informed than the media and general public when it comes to evaluating whether someone is a danger to himself or not, ruled it an accidental overdose) and the media had to amend its story. Something tells me another player going to the hospital for a few hours and being released the next morning doesn't result in the media infiltrating police headquarters for early documentation, but then that's gotta just be a conspiracy theory.

No, Owens must have been the first player in NFL history to check into the ER because pain medication made him sick.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:30 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Terrell Owens wasn't/isn't broke, then why did he sign up for the Indoor Football League? Why did he supposedly sell some of his private properties? Why is he apparently going to appear on "Iyanla: Fix My Life" reality show tomorrow? This guy's life looks like it's in shambles right now and he's having financial problems. Just because no one has access to his financial records, doesn't mean you can't use common sense. Apparently his child support payments have been reduced, so that's good. But he had to do community service because he couldn't keep up with the payments. He did get his tax debt he owed cleared though inexplicably.

http://www.blackenterprise.com/money...port-payments/

Oh and Owens even told a judge, he was broke.

Quote:
In 2011, he told a judge that in spite of earning $68.7 million in the previous eleven years, he was broke. Between child support to four women and mortgage payments on their four homes, he's on the hook for $125,000 a month – before he pays a dime of his own support. Meanwhile, his own Georgia home is in foreclosure. But Owens' problems go deeper than his parental responsibilities. His is a common complaint among sports stars who lose their fortunes: "I trusted the wrong guy."
http://www.accountingweb.com/article...rs-lien/221407

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 11-01-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:40 PM    (permalink
niel89
All-Pro

Quote:

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
Old 11-02-2013, 02:37 AM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

^ Preliminary report that was later changed. Turns out half-conscious Owens answering questions doesn't amount to much.

Now...

Quote:
Cowboy's coach Bill Parcells said last week that the pain medicine Owens was taking for his hand made him ill. During a press conference Wednesday, Parcells was peppered with questions about Owens, but said he knew nothing about his player's condition or about what happened.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/09...icide-attempt/

And here's a report from the week before the incident, September 21, 2006:

Quote:
Terrell Owens neither practiced nor did he attend Wednesday's session. The Cowboys receiver, who had surgery on Monday afternoon to repair a broken bone in his right hand, has experienced some discomfort and swelling. The pain medication made him sick. But there is a chance he will not miss a game, and play against the Titans on October 1 in Tennessee.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ors.nfl/1.html

What happened according to Owens is he was in pain after rehab and had run out of the milder form of medication he'd been given by team physicians, so he again took the Hydrocodone.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:58 AM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
If Terrell Owens wasn't/isn't broke, then why did he sign up for the Indoor Football League?
To audition for the NFL/show he was recovered from his ACL surgery. Plus, they offered him part ownership.

Quote:
Why did he supposedly sell some of his private properties?
To free up assets, perhaps? As he said, he was having financial issues. That part isn't in dispute. His financial adviser blew a lot of his money on stupid investments, including a casino. The same adviser blew a lot of other players' investments, too. That's probably why he's been banned from practicing now and Owens is suing him.

Quote:
Why is he apparently going to appear on "Iyanla: Fix My Life" reality show tomorrow?
Same reason he did the reality show for several years. He likes being on TV and has an interest in being an actor in the long run.

Quote:
This guy's life looks like it's in shambles right now and he's having financial problems. Just because no one has access to his financial records, doesn't mean you can't use common sense. Apparently his child support payments have been reduced, so that's good. But he had to do community service because he couldn't keep up with the payments. He did get his tax debt he owed cleared though inexplicably.
You're reading too much TMZ. Take a look at the fine print in this image under "Hours Remaining":

Unless owing child support is now considered a "traffic offense," I'd say TMZ is doing what TMZ has a tendency to do.

Quote:
Oh and Owens even told a judge, he was broke.

http://www.accountingweb.com/article...rs-lien/221407
This is a perfect example of what I am talking about. The author of this article never cites or substantiates this claim. That's because she is merely parroting what she read in another article, which, odds are, merely parroted other articles...and the original source never substantiated it either, because he never said it. Owens listed his income as "none" when he filed a request for modification of his child support. That's in the court documents. He never told a judge he was broke. If he had, he would have obviously been lying.

Owens has said more than once on twitter that he's not broke. One of the supposedly "harassing" text messages ( ) one of the mothers presented in court included him saying, "Never said I was broke, the media said that. Have a nice day."

Last edited by JordanTaber : 11-02-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:54 AM    (permalink
niel89
All-Pro

Oh I didn't know he said it on twitter. That makes it official.

Quote:

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
Old 11-02-2013, 05:11 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Financial troubles/broke whatever one wants to call it, he is in a hole. He didn't have to play in the indoor football league to show NFL teams that he was healthy. He could have just had his own private NFL workout, which he did. No one showed up of course. Owens needed money to pay his four baby mamas and his mortgages. Really though, Owens, like he mentioned himself, is partly responsible for being in this mess. If you keep getting women pregnant you're going to face trouble down the line. Especially if you are a high profile athlete. That and just trusting people to make dumb investments when you aren't financially literate. And I wouldn't call being on a reality TV show called Fix My Life a jumping off point for an acting career. Or being on Dr. Phil.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 11-02-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:33 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If Terrell Owens wasn't/isn't broke, then why did he sign up for the Indoor Football League? Why did he supposedly
http://www.blackenterprise.com/money...port-payments/
Nice source/website.

Quote:
one of the four women to bear his children has had the former...
Love love love pretty women, the more the better, but it's 100% his own fault for being stupid.

He's had my sympathy for things in the past, but not this. Welcome to the real world now, thanks to your ****** ***** running the show.

Last edited by J-Mike88 : 11-02-2013 at 08:36 AM.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:56 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:42 AM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If a player on each team gets injured on a play that occurs under the 2:00 mark in thr 2nd or 4th quarter, will a timeout be charged, or does the clock just stop? I can't imagine one team being charged a timeout and the other, not.

Edit: And I think that's the happiest I've ever seen BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:49 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't know that BB was capable of showing emotion.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:54 AM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
no, you suggested that the only viable proof was a statement from him, saying exactly what they claimed.
No, I pointed this out because I know exactly why people think Owens is broke. They think he said he was. That's why Ness thought he was, and that's why I asked that rhetorical question. Ness and other people don't think this is true because they think there's some article out there substantiating it with bank records. They think Owens himself has actually corroborated this, but in fact all he has ever done is deny it.

So you continually miss the point because you're just not very intelligent.

1. Numerous articles parrot each other saying Owens is broke, to the point where Ness and others take it as common knowledge. However, not a single article has ever substantiated this. No one has ever released his bank records, no article has ever quoted Owens saying he was broke.

2. Numerous articles parrot each other saying Owens lost $80 million. However, no article has ever substantiated this claim. Owens has never said he lost $80 million, and his earnings records have never been released or provided in any source.

The origins of the first claim are people twisting Owens's words into something he never said. He has only said he has had "financial issues." He never once said he was "broke."

The origins of the second claim are, in all likelihood, a blog author who pulled the number out of his ass. The number they were originally throwing around was $40 million. That was also just a wild guess by some idiot.

The fact that writers in this age can get away with saying things that are completely unsubstantiated and unfounded is a microcosm for what Owens has faced with the media as a whole. That is the point I am trying to make. That's what I'm trying to get people to think about. The big picture.

This is proof that the media, even seemingly "reputable sources," can take things Owens has never said and ascribe them to him. This is proof that media sources will parrot each other, even if the original source is not reputable and the claims are not substantiated. So if they can do this in these instances, is it really so hard to believe that they've been doing this repeatedly throughout his career? Is it really so hard to believe the whole thing is smoke and mirrors emanating from a single incident 13 years ago that created a national outrage that permanently placed a bull's-eye on his back?

Because, that's what I'm saying is what happened.

Quote:
cool, and my rocks keep tigers away because you can't find a single report saying otherwise. therefore, you have to believe it's true. it's simply explainable coincidence that tigers were sighted in my general vicinity a few days ago, until you find documentation that says they're there specifically because my rock didn't work.
Your failures in logic and discourse are humorous.

Asking someone to prove a negative is a fallacy. I'm asking them to prove a claim - they say he is broke. I say, "prove it." They can't. They have no statement from him saying he's broke, they have no bank records saying he's broke, they have no evidence whatsoever that he's broke. Hence, the claim is unfounded.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:15 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
"no evidence" and "no evidence i can bring myself to accept" are two completely different things. but that's cool. post some more irrelevant crap about owens being broke. i'm only interested in your inability to make a coherent counter-argument, not in your cheer-leading.
What is this evidence that I supposedly can't bring myself to accept?
Old 11-02-2013, 12:16 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Oh I didn't know he said it on twitter. That makes it official.
So what are you saying? It's not official? How is it not official? Because he typed it on a computer, it's not official?