Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-11-2014, 07:57 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogs View Post
TF is a different story though, we knew that was PC from the get go.
Microsoft doesn't really have a history of stopping 360 only games from coming out on PC if the devs want to put it there. Especially if it's ported at a later date. Fairly long track record of this happening.

The only game I'm saying absolutely isn't happening on PC is Sunset Overdrive, since Insomniac has zero history there and hasn't expressed any interest. Fair chance Scalebound makes it's way there though, Platinum made a big deal about wanting more of a presence there last year and working with Microsoft probably always them to pay the dev cost and have the ability to do that.

Halo is unlikely, but I think there's a better chance now that Bungie isn't working on it actually. They were outright opposed to Destiny being released on PC, for some reason. Halo 3 was spotted in the Steam registry last year and updated this year, so there's a bit of smoke there even.

Anyway, they showed Bloodborne on the Sony stage today...but only showed gameplay for a few seconds.

It's not much, but with the extensive press coverage and the leaked WebM's from last month, you do get a bit of a sense of things.

Hopefully someone will leak some shakycam cell footage at some point. It's playable there, so it would be surprising if that's all we get.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:59 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm ashamed to admit my feelings towards Bloodborne are the same as Viddys. :(

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm 14% through Watch Dogs. Its ok! I don't hate it. The scenes where you hack in to people's apartments are well done. Some are humorous and some are really dark. Getting away from cops can be difficult but I think upgrades will help. I remember they were so easy to escape from in GTAV.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:12 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
I'm ashamed to admit my feelings towards Bloodborne are the same as Viddys. :(

fight me irl casuals

But yeah, game clearly won't be everyone's cup of tea.

They said everything right yesterday and said everything even righter today, but I would love to see more. This is basically a dream game for me though. I thought Mass Effect 2 was the most excited I could ever get for a game, but this is an entirely different level.

I'll shut up about it though.

Saw a pretty long demo for Evolve today. I'm usually not big for co-op shooters, but the things they're saying about that game sound super awesome. I guess it's not really a pure co-op game with the big monster being controlled by a player though. The situations they showed and the emergent things that come along in a match.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 06-11-2014, 08:13 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Twitch had Evolve going for at least an hour yesterday. I feel like I was already done with it halfway through. It's really cool, but it wouldn't hold my attention very long. If it was a $10-15 title, I'd be all over it.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:32 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post

fight me irl casuals

But yeah, game clearly won't be everyone's cup of tea.

They said everything right yesterday and said everything even righter today, but I would love to see more. This is basically a dream game for me though. I thought Mass Effect 2 was the most excited I could ever get for a game, but this is an entirely different level.

I'll shut up about it though.

Saw a pretty long demo for Evolve today. I'm usually not big for co-op shooters, but the things they're saying about that game sound super awesome. I guess it's not really a pure co-op game with the big monster being controlled by a player though. The situations they showed and the emergent things that come along in a match.
I like to think I have robust tastes, but I fluctuate a lot in what I like. I respect it from an objective perspective, but I just don't want to play it.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Souls games definitely aren't for everyone but once you get into them they're great. I got stuck at Sif for like a year before I went back and play Dark Souls, now I've beaten the game twice and love it.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:45 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
The Souls games definitely aren't for everyone but once you get into them they're great. I got stuck at Sif for like a year before I went back and play Dark Souls, now I've beaten the game twice and love it.
Common link at the moment for me in my gaming habits is multi-player. If I can't play it with friends, I'm probably not playing it. There are exceptions of course, it's just not one of them at the moment. If it comes out and gets 10/10 in a lot of places and everyone loves it here, I might change my mind.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:21 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure if posted. But Madden 15 demo is up on ign. Looks pretty sick IMO. Can't wait. August come on baby!

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/06/12...n-live-e3-2014
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:48 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Haven't bought Madden for 3-4 years, that streak will continue.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:05 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Common link at the moment for me in my gaming habits is multi-player. If I can't play it with friends, I'm probably not playing it. There are exceptions of course, it's just not one of them at the moment. If it comes out and gets 10/10 in a lot of places and everyone loves it here, I might change my mind.
It honestly may. The hype is kind of ridiculous.

Not just from people like me who have been there since the series was this weird little Japanese action RPG. It's a little weird, really. Dark Souls 2 was a huge game, but the exclusivity for a new console part is taking it in this weird direction that I'm not entirely sure I love. I'm not trying to sound like a total hipster about it, but as someone who deeply cares about the series, I'm a little weirded out by it.

Not too worried about it changing the game though. Hidetaki Miyazaki was asked today if he felt like he needed to make an easier game and simply said "no" and moved on to the next question.

But yeah, it's a weirdly multiplayer not multiplayer game. Anti-social multiplayer is probably not an entirely wrong way of putting it. I don't hate traditional multiplayer games, but there's something weirdly interesting about the way the Souls games and things like Journey handle things. I think it's weirdly easier in some ways to connect with people you can't directly communicate with.

...of course, I don't spend a ton of time doing positive things in Souls games. I'm mostly a jerk who invades people.

Oh, and a gameplay video:

Not that much more than what we were shown at the Sony thing, mostly linking the clips together.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 06-11-2014, 10:21 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Perhaps when I can justify the purchase of a new console!

Old 06-12-2014, 12:52 AM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I finished Ryse. The reviews for the game were about right. To start, the graphics were incredible. Best next gen looking game I've seen or played so far. The story in the game is also surprisingly compelling. I'm a Greek/Roman history buff so it was fun to play a game set in that era, and they had a fun story to back it up. Game is really held back by some poor gameplay. Apparently it was actually meant to be a Kinect game at first then they changed it in the last year or so. It's very evident by playing it too. Generic hack and slash combat with far too many QTEs. Worth the price at $20 since I got about 7-8 hours of fun out of it, but I'm glad I didn't but this one at launch. 7/10.

I spoke about Tales of Vesperia earlier but fun game. A kind of FFVII clone but with better graphics. I found it dragged on a bit towards the end had some funny dialogue and likable characters. Ended up with 40 hours of gameplay so easily worth the $8 I paid for it on the XBL sale. If you're a JRPG fan check it out. 8.5/10.

Probably going to replay Arkham City now, games I want to play before the summer is over are Bayonneta, Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, Viva Piņata, DMC4, and Lost Odyssey. Hopefully there's some good summer sales.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:56 AM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Anybody see the Destiny competitive multiplayer footage? Tbh, I didn't come away impressed. Hopefully this game will be much better as an MMO style shooter. The MP looked like a cross between Titanfall/Halo/COD but not necessarily in the right ways. It looked really generic which surprised me. It's more COD style where you shoot first to win, rather than the rock/paper/scissors style of Halo. I'm just not quite sure I know what Destiny is, or if Bungie has marketed this game properly. I need to watch some of the more MMO footage because I haven't.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:58 AM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
It honestly may. The hype is kind of ridiculous.

Not just from people like me who have been there since the series was this weird little Japanese action RPG. It's a little weird, really. Dark Souls 2 was a huge game, but the exclusivity for a new console part is taking it in this weird direction that I'm not entirely sure I love. I'm not trying to sound like a total hipster about it, but as someone who deeply cares about the series, I'm a little weirded out by it.

Not too worried about it changing the game though. Hidetaki Miyazaki was asked today if he felt like he needed to make an easier game and simply said "no" and moved on to the next question.

But yeah, it's a weirdly multiplayer not multiplayer game. Anti-social multiplayer is probably not an entirely wrong way of putting it. I don't hate traditional multiplayer games, but there's something weirdly interesting about the way the Souls games and things like Journey handle things. I think it's weirdly easier in some ways to connect with people you can't directly communicate with.

...of course, I don't spend a ton of time doing positive things in Souls games. I'm mostly a jerk who invades people.

Oh, and a gameplay video:

Not that much more than what we were shown at the Sony thing, mostly linking the clips together.
I never really got into the multiplayer aspect of Dark Souls. Maybe I just didn't understand it well enough. I fought off the jerks who would invade my world because they gave me good souls, but only really tried to invade a couple times to see what it was like. The single player part is definitely what sold the game to me, mostly for the atmosphere and because there's not a game with better boss battles out there.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:14 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BD you got stuck on Sif????????

Noob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After playing a ton of NBA 2K14, I'm reminded of how badly I want a new NFL 2K game...
Old 06-12-2014, 11:57 AM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Microsoft and Sony both had good E3's, for as much as I dislike the XBOX I really like how their press conference was all about games and not about the ******** no one cares about.

Some of the Sony exclusives (The Order, Uncharted, and Bloodborne) all are going to be fantastic, and if the Uncharted trailer and The Order gameplay are any resemblance of what we can expect graphically from this generation, then we are in for a treat.

Having said all of that, Nintendo KILLED E3. They easily have the best line up of games out at the moment and set to hit stores within the next year. You buy a Nintendo console because you know you are going to get great first party exclusives. The other console you have (XBONE or PS4) is mostly for what exclusives you prefer (Halo vs. Uncharted/GOW etc.)

Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros. U, Donkey Kong, Pikmin 3, Windwaker HD, Mario Kart 8, Virtual Console (among other).

Coming out - Mario Maker, Hyrule Warriors, Zelda, Super Smash Bros, Yoshi Yarn, Bayonetta 1 and 2, Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, and plenty more.

Hope the Wii U starts getting some respect.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:13 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Anybody see the Destiny competitive multiplayer footage? Tbh, I didn't come away impressed. Hopefully this game will be much better as an MMO style shooter. The MP looked like a cross between Titanfall/Halo/COD but not necessarily in the right ways. It looked really generic which surprised me. It's more COD style where you shoot first to win, rather than the rock/paper/scissors style of Halo. I'm just not quite sure I know what Destiny is, or if Bungie has marketed this game properly. I need to watch some of the more MMO footage because I haven't.
It might says something about how poor of a job they've done getting people interested, but that stuff actually looks far better than the things they've shown before to me.

I'm still very sold on the idea of the game. Heavy RPG/loot mechanics are just the sort of thing that could potentially get me into a shooter for the first time in awhile. It's an interesting situation for me though. The way they talk about the game ticks all the right boxes...but what they've shown doesn't excite me at all.

In the end, I'm still pretty committed to giving it a shot. I'm not quite the Halo fan that you and Jvig are, but I have a tremendous amount of respect for those games and Bungie's legacy. I'm a sucker for space magic too. Drew me into Mass Effect and it's drawing me into this as well. I've heard some fairly decent things from people who were lucky enough to make it into the Alpha as well. Seems to be some fairly active Twitch streams of the game. I'll have to check those out at some point to get a better handle on it.

Quote:
I never really got into the multiplayer aspect of Dark Souls. Maybe I just didn't understand it well enough. I fought off the jerks who would invade my world because they gave me good souls, but only really tried to invade a couple times to see what it was like. The single player part is definitely what sold the game to me, mostly for the atmosphere and because there's not a game with better boss battles out there.
The singleplayer and atmosphere is what drew me into the game, but PVP kept me going after some of that got a little stale. Making, testing, and playing new character builds was a ton of fun. Hit the sweet spot between RPG mechanics and skill based combat. In Dark Souls 1, anyway. Dark Souls 2 PVP is about being level 400 and finding weapons that stunlock someone for their entire lifebar.

The community could be really ****** sometimes(more like a lot of the time) though. It was pretty sad watching that develop for me, considering Demon's Souls had an amazingly civil playerbase. Quite a bit smaller, but you wouldn't run into horrible people as often(Except for Scraping Spear users, but **** them). Hacking was rampant on PC/360 and twinks were a pretty big issue for newer players looking to engage with it. They tried to fix that in Dark Souls 2, but the cure was worse than the disease. Oh, and lag. Lag is a huge issue in the multiplayer for both games. You essentially had to predict parries in Dark Souls 1. You could visually parry a few of the heavier weapons because the window was so huge, but most of them you were looking to get half a second ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
BD you got stuck on Sif????????

Noob.
Sif was a fun fight, but god damn did it make me feel like a terrible human being when he started limping around. The scene you get before you fight him if you've done the expansion content makes it even worse, somehow. One of the more memorable fights in the Souls games though.

I'll shut up about Souls games though...eventually haha.

Anyway, other stuff that has caught me eye over the past few days beyond the obvious ones.

Funny that I promise to shut up about Souls games and then immediately post what might be the first true Dark Souls clone. I've seen some of the stuff they've shown about this in the past, but it's looking far better this time around. The animations still look clunky in a bad way to me, but things seem to be a bit better when they're not using a great hammer. Not a big fan of the art style or what they've said about the story/character, but I'll give any action RPG a fair shake and this one seems to be shaping up fairly well.

The Evil Within looks like the Resident Evil game I've wanted since RE4. I'm a big fan of survival horror, but I tend not to care for the stuff without combat that's super popular right now. I'm a bit worried about some of those elements making their way into this game. The struggle is part of what's actually scary and interesting for me. The monster who kills you instantly and you can't do anything about is entertaining for a section or two, but the inevitability of it stops being interesting if it's just constant. Hopefully they strike a balance between the two here. The game certainly has a good pedigree.

I never knew I wanted Megaman 1930's animation edition, but that's such an impressively realized visual style.

Another Soulsish clone. They've shown quite a bit of this game previously, but it's all looked bad before. Combat looks a bit less clunky and more dynamic here. The visuals aren't quite as fantastic as they were at the Playstation 4 reveal, but it's still quite a looker.

Still, red flags all over the place. It's free to play and the previous trailer featured a character throwing items at a boss to freeze time. I don't think it takes very long to put two and two together there. I'm not sure if it was a $3 or $5 boss fight, but micro-transactions in this sort of game are terrifying. Not a big fan of the entire Assassin's Creed future looking into the past thing they're going with either. The convoluted ******** that comes along with that story arc is the last thing I would be looking to steal from those games.
'
All and all, if I wish it was Dragon's Dogma 2 enough, maybe it will be.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 06-12-2014, 05:51 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How much of an improvement is Dark Souls compared to Demon Souls? I moderately enjoyed the first, but controls felt way too clunky.

Demon Souls is free this month on gold for games, I may have to check it out.

Sig by Hitman D.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually havent played demon (I traded in my ps3 by the time I heard of it) but Dark Souls is probably one of my favorite games ever. I actually agree the clunky movement and slow paced actions can turn people off, especially when I was accustomed to Ninja gaiden style games (love 1-2), but of you get used to it and adapt it works well enough. It really forces you to just be methodical and patient with how you approach and attack enemies.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:48 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

The game have evolved mechanically with every iteration.

It's the same core concept, but Dark Souls is a lot more refined mechanically than Demon's Souls. There weren't many major changes, but there's a ton of little things that the games do differently. Poise was probably the biggest mechanic. In Demon's Souls, there was zero incentive to wear heavy armor. In Dark Souls, armor governs how easy it is for you to be stunned by enemies. Stunlocks are far less prevalent overall as result, but you have to play a slightly more interesting balancing game with weight. Grass is gone and healing is far more limited, but it refreshes at checkpoints. Choosing when to heal is a major risk/reward thing. Overall, combat just feels better. Large part of that is due to new actions. Jumping attacks, plunging attacks, and kicks are additions that make it hard for me to go back and play Demon's Souls without feeling like it's a more limited game. Parrying feels better too. The window feels about the same, but point where the active parry frames start working feels more natural.

The biggest differences are with the structure of the two games. Dark Souls resembles Metroid in a lot of ways. Everything in the world links into each other in a really interesting way. It's completely cohesive and the placement of everything feels organic and meaningful and becomes part of the story itself. Demon's Souls flirted with these ideas, but Dark Souls really dials it home.

Both games are highly atmospheric. Dark Souls feels a little less depressing, but a little more tragic(if that makes sense). The storytelling definitely gets an edge in Dark Souls for me. The intricate back story and the way players learn about it is probably among the most clever things I've ever seen in a game. Again, it's the sort of things they explored in Demon's Souls, but it's really mastered in Dark Souls.

I would certainly give a shot. It's tough for me to approach it from the perspective of someone who isn't totally enamored with the game. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are games that have changed the way I think about games(Shadow of the Colossus did too). If you didn't love Demon's, Dark Souls will probably more of the same thing though.

Also, you should play Demon's Souls if you ever get the chance Jvig.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 06-12-2014, 07:32 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I know I probably will in preparation of Bloodborne. Now that I think about it I'm making a phone call to a friend.....

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-12-2014, 08:28 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Farcry 4 is gonna be incredible. One of the few games I'm gonna have to purchase this year

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Is demon souls free on PSN?

Quote:
Quote: