Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-24-2014, 04:57 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I on the other hand think they are far too high. Most games have so little content on them, not to mention that most developers specifically withold content from the game in order to get another 15 bucks per pack every three months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:01 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh, digital is entirely different, that's more what I'm complaining about.

As things stand right now, no one is passing the savings that comes with cutting out the manufacturing and shipping process to the consumer. Worse yet, the prices stay higher for longer than physical copies do. It's absurd.

...and yeah, SNES games were 100+ sometimes. I can still remember looking at the flyers that came with the paper and being astounded as a kid. It's one of the reasons games went to discs over cartridges. Those were expensive as all **** to produce back then.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:05 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
As things stand right now, no one is passing the savings that comes with cutting out the manufacturing and shipping process to the consumer. Worse yet, the prices stay higher for longer than physical copies do. It's absurd.
are "you" still buying them? i mean, why pass on digital savings to "you" when (i'm done with the apostrophes) you've proven repeatedly that you're not only perfectly happy to pay ever higher prices, but that you're so happy to pay high prices that you'll pre-order digital games (which, on a different rant, is the ******* stupidest thing i've ever heard of).

i mean, i get it philosophically, but as long as 13 year olds have money and will pay whatever EA or whoever asks for CoD/GoW/Halo/Madden, prices will keep going up. as always, there's a simple solution, but "no one" cares enough to give it a go.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:10 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are very few games for which I pay full price. It's like 1 or 2 a year (maybe).
Old 06-24-2014, 07:34 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are still a few games a year I'll buy full price. Stick of Truth was one of them because I really wanted to support that sort of effort put into a TV show turned game, tons of fan service there. Trey and Matt put out a ton of free crap all the time and worked hard to make the game actually good. Dead Rising 3 was another because I needed a game to play on my XB1 and I love the franchise. A few other games (Halo: MCC, Sunset Overdrive, Arkham Knight) I'm getting Day One because I got an E3 deal where they are 30% off. For the most part now, especially compared to before, I'll wait until the games are at least half off which is usually pretty soon after.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:49 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Outside of Batman Origins, the last game I payed full price for that i wasn't completely satisfied with was Fable. And that was only because it was incredibly short.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:04 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I regret paying full price for Watch_Dogs even though I do enjoy it. Before that? Probably a Madden game a long time ago.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:08 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can not legitimately remember the last time I paid full price for a game. Says a lot about my gaming habits though. I tend to play the same game for hundreds of hours.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:14 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What I mean is game prices fall off so sharply so quickly. There are very few reasons to buy a game at launch when in 60 days it will be half that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:19 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
are "you" still buying them? i mean, why pass on digital savings to "you" when (i'm done with the apostrophes) you've proven repeatedly that you're not only perfectly happy to pay ever higher prices, but that you're so happy to pay high prices that you'll pre-order digital games (which, on a different rant, is the ******* stupidest thing i've ever heard of).

i mean, i get it philosophically, but as long as 13 year olds have money and will pay whatever EA or whoever asks for CoD/GoW/Halo/Madden, prices will keep going up. as always, there's a simple solution, but "no one" cares enough to give it a go.
I agree with you, but I think we're talking about slightly different things.

Personally, I think $60 is a mostly fair price for newer physical games for consoles. PC is a slightly different beast, as the 20% licensing fee M/N/S charge isn't a thing. Prices generally reflect this though. You can't buy many PC games in an actual store these days, but they're generally $10 cheaper than their console equivalents.

On the digital side, actually takes people for a bit of a ride initially, but someone like Green Man Gaming almost always has a coupon on release to bring things down to $35 to $40.

I'm talking about stuff like this and the examples I brought up. The thing is, I think they're sort of losing that battle. With bigger included hard drives, faster connections, and increased attempts at funneling from M/S, there's certainly been a bit of an uptick in people purchasing games digitally...but consoles are still primarily something people buy from a store. Especially games that have been sitting on the shelves for awhile, with Microsoft and Sony charging twice or three times as much as retailers do. They probably get the occasional person sitting in their boxers at midnight on a Tuesday night, but I don't think many people are paying that hefty of a convenience fee. Even with the "sales" that they do like twice a year.

As far as the Call of Madden stuff goes, yeah, that's a situation people are clearly digging a bigger and bigger hole for themselves. No one with a brain is happy about that stuff and there's enough people mad about it to make a serious dent and change things....but a large portion of them give in. This is hardly limited to games, but I do agree that people need to vote with their wallets more often when they aren't happy with things. People who play games are particularly bad at this though. If we're talking about how well people who play games are conditioned to be brainless consumers, you won't find any argument from me on that front.

You touched on pre-orders as well. I'll say this plainly; pre-ordering games is for absolute suckers. Nothing good can come out of it. The only exceptions I can think of are for things that you're invested enough in to play even if they're terrible. Dark Souls 2 was an example of that for me. I was absolutely positive I was going to spend hundreds of hours with that game even if it was a flaming pile of garbage. That's such a rare set of circumstances though.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 06-24-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:07 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Preordering is for suckers? Why? No obligation to get it if reviews start getting bad and you can transfer the credit over towards something else or in store credit if you want. I don't see the problem with it. I would say nothing bad can come out of it honestly.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-24-2014, 09:10 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
You touched on pre-orders as well. I'll say this plainly; pre-ordering games is for absolute suckers. Nothing good can come out of it. The only exceptions I can think of are for things that you're invested enough in to play even if they're terrible. Dark Souls 2 was an example of that for me. I was absolutely positive I was going to spend hundreds of hours with that game even if it was a flaming pile of garbage. That's such a rare set of circumstances though.
i dunno, i think it still boils down to: a) people are paying those prices or, i guess in this case, b) people aren't buying them at those prices, but it plays into some other strategy the console makers have for enticing a certain behavior? i dunno, i've had too many allergy pills to really say much more than that.

as for pre-ordering dark souls 2, fine, you knew you were going to play it. but even then, why bother pre-ordering? there's basically no advantage. in a well-designed game, you might get a new costume or something. in a ****-designed game, you might get something game breaking (in which case you know it's already a **** game). i just don't see any benefit, and i see a serious downside in encouraging developers to do it. *shrug*
Old 06-24-2014, 09:23 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll preorder something on like the friday before if I know I'm going to get it and there's some sort of pre-order bonus. Makes no sense to preorder something months in advance though, if there's no monetary incentive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:16 AM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great stuff.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:28 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
as for pre-ordering dark souls 2, fine, you knew you were going to play it. but even then, why bother pre-ordering? there's basically no advantage. in a well-designed game, you might get a new costume or something. in a ****-designed game, you might get something game breaking (in which case you know it's already a **** game). i just don't see any benefit, and i see a serious downside in encouraging developers to do it. *shrug*
Few reasons;

1. Gamestop doesn't allow you into a midnight release without a pre-order and I was a big enough nerd to take multiple days off to play it.

I feel OK about that as a justification. Works the same way as movie midnight premiers, really. The people who end up going to those want the experience regardless of how much they end up liking it in the end. The difference is that game companies have a large number of people who plan to maybe see it over the weekend conditioned to give them a chunk(if not all) of cash for the ticket in advance for special edition soda cups.

2. Physical stuff that has value to me as a fan of the series. You couldn't straight buy a collector's edition without a pre-order.

Most of the time your paying a ridiculous premium for something stupid(fully admit to be suckered by the Dark Souls 2 CE and the big stupid action figure, but life isn't any fun if you're not taken for a sucker every now and again. You just need to be selective about it.), but there's exceptions.The first Dark Souls gave away the collector's edition with some cool stuff just for pre-ordering. I think The Witcher 2 did something like that as well. Fairly uncommon though and certainly not something that should sway you if you aren't totally committed.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 06-25-2014, 09:08 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Few reasons;

1. Gamestop doesn't allow you into a midnight release without a pre-order and I was a big enough nerd to take multiple days off to play it.

I feel OK about that as a justification. Works the same way as movie midnight premiers, really. The people who end up going to those want the experience regardless of how much they end up liking it in the end. The difference is that game companies have a large number of people who plan to maybe see it over the weekend conditioned to give them a chunk(if not all) of cash for the ticket in advance for special edition soda cups.

2. Physical stuff that has value to me as a fan of the series. You couldn't straight buy a collector's edition without a pre-order.

Most of the time your paying a ridiculous premium for something stupid(fully admit to be suckered by the Dark Souls 2 CE and the big stupid action figure, but life isn't any fun if you're not taken for a sucker every now and again. You just need to be selective about it.), but there's exceptions.The first Dark Souls gave away the collector's edition with some cool stuff just for pre-ordering. I think The Witcher 2 did something like that as well. Fairly uncommon though and certainly not something that should sway you if you aren't totally committed.
Game stops near you differ vastly from the ones Ive been to. Numerous occasions have I or friends walked into a midnight madness and got a game without reserving it, we just had to wait for everyone there who did reserve it to pick theirs up first. Other times there were separate lines for people who reserved and those that didn't, other times they walked through the line pulling people who didn't already pay for their game prior to midnight and had them pay for it to make the purchase go smoother.

Also really glad I didn't go with the DS2 collectors edition. I had the DS1 collectors and that was well worth it since it included DLC (I think it did at least).

Still really strange that gamestop's near you have such different policies. Hell, even when I was down in NC when Halo 3 came out I walked in the night of and got right in line no problem.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-25-2014, 09:35 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogs View Post

Great stuff.
The look on Luigi's face at the end.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:14 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Game stops near you differ vastly from the ones Ive been to. Numerous occasions have I or friends walked into a midnight madness and got a game without reserving it, we just had to wait for everyone there who did reserve it to pick theirs up first. Other times there were separate lines for people who reserved and those that didn't, other times they walked through the line pulling people who didn't already pay for their game prior to midnight and had them pay for it to make the purchase go smoother.

Also really glad I didn't go with the DS2 collectors edition. I had the DS1 collectors and that was well worth it since it included DLC (I think it did at least).

Still really strange that gamestop's near you have such different policies. Hell, even when I was down in NC when Halo 3 came out I walked in the night of and got right in line no problem.
There's that they would have allowed it if we just showed up, but I ended up going with a friend who also needed a copy. I straight out asked at a Gamestop closer to where we were going to spend that night if we could buy it without a pre-order and they said they wouldn't sell it to us. Maybe I caught the guy on a bad day or something, but he was sort of a dick about it so I didn't press the issue.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 06-25-2014, 02:10 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

So I replayed Bully: Scholarship Edition, game was really underwhelming and not nearly as fun as I remembered it. Only paid $2 so I won't complain but it kinda sucked. Graphics were just awful, and the storyline wasn't very good. The main character is also a big doucher which doesn't help.

On to Alpha Protocol now.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:34 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I beat Outlast, **** that game. Really well made. Still working through Watch Dogs (40%) and Black Flag (70%). Ubisoft is putting out a lot of quality games but I'm still not logging in to Uplay.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:24 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The next release I'm really excited for is Far Cry 4, another Ubisoft title. Probably will be 1 of 2-3 games I get release day this year too (Watch_Dogs maybe something else)

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:57 AM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

So I'm a few hours into Alpha Protocol so far. I don't get how this game wasn't rated higher from what I've seen. I've never played a game with split second decision making quite like this and the dossier/intel aspect is very fun. The combat isn't groundbreaking or anything but it's pretty much on par with Mass Effect there. Looking forward to finishing this one.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:19 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Shovel Knight released. IGN calling it possibly the best game released this year.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:22 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Ign overhype everything. Outside of being a decent source for quick news updates about things, I really have grown tired of that place.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-26-2014, 05:25 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

It's hard to find decent, unbiased reviews anymore. Not since Gamespot turned to ****.